Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,532 members, 7,823,313 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:34 AM

Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League (22451 Views)

Nigerian Football Players And Their Wives/Girlfriends (Photos) / Braless Ghanaian Lady: I Have More 'Points' Than The Nigerian Football Team / Why We Booed Dele Alli - Nigerian Football Lovers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by whela(m): 6:50am On Aug 24, 2020
Close-up, Nigerian brewery, Dangote, access bank, Oando, Shell, UBA, etc all prefers to give endorsement to a dead musicians, to BBN, etc instead of the football (goldmine).
Hypocritical gesture and eye service...

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by hiterrun(m): 6:51am On Aug 24, 2020
holina:
cos 95% of time, home teams always win. players lives in danger anytime they win away match. stones on their head

u get am kpa
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by MondayOsunbor(m): 6:52am On Aug 24, 2020
helinues:
To start with, SE na on NTA you wan watch Nigeria Premier League matches?

Players putting off their jerseys is double red card now in Nigeria Premier League.

The last time a player did, the lines man collapsed of body odour. grin cheesy

Nigeria League is LIKE NIGERIA ELECTION

YOU CAN ALWAYS KNOW WHO WILL WIN BEFORE IT START
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by Unified07: 6:53am On Aug 24, 2020
Even the nigeran league players don't like the league

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by Nobody: 6:54am On Aug 24, 2020
B3ACHSIDE:
It has been my observation that Nigerians are versed with European soccer leagues like English premier league and Spanish premier league ,and perhaps Italian and German. I find it weird because most countries I've visited usually prefer their own sport leagues. For example , Lithuania is a basketball nation and they have their own basketball league( Lietuvos krepšinio lyga) which they enjoy . In fact, most people there are not versed with America's NBA league because they prefer their own league .
Most people in Brazil and Argentina prefer their own soccer league ,despite the fact they probably have some of their top stars in European league.
Most people in North America prefer American leagues. Even though soccer is not one of the most popular sports in the US, most North American soccer fans still prefer American soccer league and the stadiums are usually filled.

Why don't Nigerians like Nigerian soccer league, and what do you think can be done to improve so that it becomes a household league that Nigerians can enjoy and frequent ?

You can as aware ask me: why don't Nigerians like their own NEPA (PHCN)

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by CanadaOrBust: 6:55am On Aug 24, 2020
Same reason they don’t watch local boxers but watch Tyson Fury
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by YEBOmadiba: 6:56am On Aug 24, 2020
We must copy South Africa.

7 Likes

Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by oluwasegun007(m): 6:56am On Aug 24, 2020
Jafar1:
not entertaining, poor coverage

Plus poor commentary.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by wiseone28: 6:56am On Aug 24, 2020
When the management remove politics from it..
Why is it a must home team must win?
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by RPG2020(m): 6:57am On Aug 24, 2020
Because there is not light of watch live match ☺️
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by ihimiray(m): 6:57am On Aug 24, 2020
Skynet45:
Bet9ja should add nigerian premier league to their games. I'm sure people will show more interest after that
Nigerian league has always bin ther

4 Likes

Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by anonimi: 6:57am On Aug 24, 2020
mployer:
The problem is the people managing the league. They don't package and sell it well.

There were times Nigerians preferred foreign musicians to local ones. Then some people came in and changed things.

Too much government control over the league and football management in general? Do you think that is the koko of the matter

How many of the European football teams and leagues are owned and run by their governments?

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by Nobody: 6:57am On Aug 24, 2020
B3ACHSIDE:
It has been my observation that Nigerians are versed with European soccer leagues like English premier league and Spanish premier league ,and perhaps Italian and German. I find it weird because most countries I've visited usually prefer their own sport leagues. For example , Lithuania is a basketball nation and they have their own basketball league( Lietuvos krepšinio lyga) which they enjoy . In fact, most people there are not versed with America's NBA league because they prefer their own league .
Most people in Brazil and Argentina prefer their own soccer league ,despite the fact they probably have some of their top stars in European league.
Most people in North America prefer American leagues. Even though soccer is not one of the most popular sports in the US, most North American soccer fans still prefer American soccer league and the stadiums are usually filled.

Why don't Nigerians like Nigerian soccer league, and what do you think can be done to improve so that it becomes a household league that Nigerians can enjoy and frequent ?

You're correct. I'm an Australian woman n we love our AFL (Australian football league) not many follow overseas football or soccer. I guess sum might but I've never met any. The only time we follow is wen our cricket teams play other countries teams. Our football is similar to rugby yet completely different to it. It's a good game n Aussie states play against each other all year then have finals similar to soccer in that way but they don't play other countries as is only an Australian game. Other countries don't play it. We do have teams in other sports I'm not sure bout soccer tho if we have a team cos I've never met anyone who watches it here. Sum primary school n high school kids do have school teams n I think there's local soccer clubs in some areas for adults but isn't that popular

7 Likes

Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by anonimi: 7:01am On Aug 24, 2020
whela:
Close-up, Nigerian brewery, Dangote, access bank, Oando, Shell, UBA, etc all prefers to give endorsement to a dead musicians, to BBN, etc instead of the football (goldmine).
Hypocritical gesture and eye service...

The companies follow the preferences of the people in their markets.
When we start showing preference for our own league, the companies will follow suit.

We need to privatise our league and football teams since YESTERDAY!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by MadeINchenzen2: 7:01am On Aug 24, 2020
The league go make sense if more private owner enters and package it well

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by AreaFada2: 7:01am On Aug 24, 2020
oluwatosink:
Nigeria league is not developed Like other leagues in Africa, poor earnings for players .
This is no excuse. Barca and Real Madrid were always richer than Enugu Rangers, Bendel Insurance, Shooting Stars, Pillars and others.

But we passionately supported our local clubs.

Fact is choice. Given a choice, the average Nigerian will choose something imported. It has led to local production falling. It reduces strength of local currency too as we need more dollars to pay for import.

So football is just part of general trend. If we had easy access to foreign league matches 40 or 30 years ago, same would have happened.
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by charmingfrank(m): 7:03am On Aug 24, 2020
A prophet is not respected in his house hold. Thus, Nigeria is a typical example of such statement.

Why do most Nigerians prefer second hand UK use or America use to A brand new Nigeria own? That concept of not good enough or inferiority complex is running deep down from one generation to another.
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by nBag(m): 7:03am On Aug 24, 2020
B3ACHSIDE:
It's weird how a country of 200 million people and yet there's no diversity in sports.
Sport leagues and events generate billions of dollars to the US and European economies. Nigerians preference of European league contributes to growth of European economy.
Why do Nigerians prefer Toyota to Innoson? why do Nigerians prefer inflated Chinese firms and Julius Berger firm than their own ? it simply makes no sense . Why is a Nigerian's life long dream or goal is to migrate to US,Canada,Australia,Sweden,Norway,Germany,Netherlands,Japan,etc. ?

you are so biased, long time ago no one cares about Nigerian music except for fela and sunny ade.. but wen the industry got it right what is the story today? even the whites prefer Nigeria music today.

the league is trash simple when they do it well without a advertisement people will run, push and drag to watch.

so please let not celebrate mediocrity. thanks

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by Asebaba1(m): 7:03am On Aug 24, 2020
Insecurity is one, you leave your house to watch ball, before you come back , your house is empty or you are robbed of your phone and car around the stadium, (2) time: with our hustling style in Nigeria , ball in stadium is suppose to be around 8:00pm , do we have light around the stadium that will guarantee the 90mins of play? Nigeria need to invest in sport really nice.
B3ACHSIDE:

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by Ykc2(m): 7:04am On Aug 24, 2020
Tell me what is working in naija,no water from water cooperation ,no electricity from nepa,no good road ,no security, bandits are killing people every day,boko are bombing, not every one can an afford kerosene not to talk of gas cylinder, our NTA is the worst station in the world and una wan enjoy better football ?una no well,argentian league still dey buy player 5 million dollars, how much naija league worth?I hear person house dey burn no pursue rat wey come out from the burning house,una problem too much una dey dream to ve league like that of Peru una no serious angry

3 Likes

Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by toprealman: 7:05am On Aug 24, 2020
Back then watching Steve Worgu and Eze Oturogu play at home against visiting African top teams in the CAF Champions league was massive fun.
The stadium filled to capacity and Columbia stand providing the much needed ginger was electrifying to say the least.
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by otino(m): 7:05am On Aug 24, 2020
It's not professionally managed .
Poor media coverage.
Officiating, very poor.
Security is zero.

I remember then watching a match between Heartland FC and Kano pillars in Bauchi stadium I was attacked by a Kano fan for celebrating a goal scored by heartland FC. The only police man available was even scared to intervene.
Though it's like 10 years ago I don't know whether the situation is better now.

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by ictplotter(m): 7:06am On Aug 24, 2020
B3ACHSIDE:
It's weird how a country of 200 million people and yet there's no diversity in sports.
Sport leagues and events generate billions of dollars to the US and European economies. Nigerians preference of European league contributes to growth of European economy.
Why do Nigerians prefer Toyota to Innoson? why do Nigerians prefer inflated Chinese firms and Julius Berger firm than their own ? it simply makes no sense . Why is a Nigerian's life long dream or goal is to migrate to US,Canada,Australia,Sweden,Norway,Germany,Netherlands,Japan,etc. ?
Nigeria is a mistake, created by Sir Lord Lugard. Till the mistake is corrected, nothing good can ever comes out of Nigeria.
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by Nobody: 7:07am On Aug 24, 2020
B3ACHSIDE:

Have it in mind that Julius Berger firm deliver standard projects compare to Nigerian contractors. I have seen indigenous contractors constructed roads in Benin that lasted for 4 months. Rain washed off the roads. Some of those contractors are only compensated with the contract for their support for the new government. Passing a bridge built by a Nigerian contractor is a pure risk taken too far...a death trap. Our doctors are migrating annually to abroad because they are valued and paid well abroad. Even some of our players are stil being owed by their state government up to a year . Some states decided to slash the salary of the players from 40k/month to 10-15k grin. Many of the players have gone for farm work �

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by Nobody: 7:07am On Aug 24, 2020
ihimiray:
Nigerian league has always bin ther
Really, I have never seen it there before. Just checked it, it's not there
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by SIONKPO1(m): 7:08am On Aug 24, 2020
helinues:
To start with, SE na on NTA you wan watch Nigeria Premier League matches?

Players putting off their jerseys is double red card now in Nigeria Premier League.

The last time a player did, the lines man collapsed of body odour. grin cheesy

kai,you too get bad mouth
why I think we don't watch Nigerian leagues are;
*Most pitches are not TV friendly
*We love foreign things too much
*Bad officiating
*Poor security network
*Poor play(players and outdated technics by the coaches
*Poor club management
*other side attractions at venues
*Durability and flexibility for gambling
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by Andrenalin: 7:09am On Aug 24, 2020
B3ACHSIDE:
Yeah , you answered it all. But one thing is this, no Nigeriams that dont like good things. Let's say our music today , we all likes it and everywhere we go we play it. Even our abroad celebrities like AJ, and others use Nigeria music as entry song. Reason: the music is good to us. Let Nigeria government or private organisation improves our league and see how things change. Let improve our country for u to see who travels down there again.

The govt is not helping matter.

Thank you
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by crazycrypto710: 7:11am On Aug 24, 2020
Why do you like buying imported goods from abroad grin
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by crazycrypto710: 7:12am On Aug 24, 2020
How this topic made FP still baffles me grin
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by Prophet777: 7:13am On Aug 24, 2020
Charity begins at home...

Brand new Tecno Camon 15 for sale at give away price. Still under sealed as packaged in the nylon. It was a birthday gift and the original price is 72k in the market. But I am selling for 60k. Call me on 08034789348 for delivery.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

'I Want Argentina' - Neymar, As Brazil Goes Through To 2021 Copa América Final / Spain Win The Women's World Cup For The First Time Ever / Cristiano Ronaldo Pens Emotional Message As He Celebrates His 36th Birthday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.