Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,078 members, 7,811,019 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 08:49 PM

Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League - Sports (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League (22371 Views)

Nigerian Football Players And Their Wives/Girlfriends (Photos) / Braless Ghanaian Lady: I Have More 'Points' Than The Nigerian Football Team / Why We Booed Dele Alli - Nigerian Football Lovers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by wiseone28: 8:36am On Aug 24, 2020
Goalnaldo:
sorry if you're really an Australian woman, how did you come to know about this forum?
Is Google only restricted to your country alone?

How did you know bbc, cnn, Bloomberg, and go on?

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by ihimiray(m): 8:38am On Aug 24, 2020
Skynet45:

Really, I have never seen it there before. Just checked it, it's not there
yes cos they have not started.. Once the league I on check again
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by guy222: 8:38am On Aug 24, 2020
Watch nigeria league and you will weep. A lobi star player nod a ball and the commentator(aloko flashman) said, what a header by a header there, and when they score a goal, he said is this a goal? Oh no is a goal. A player was down and some of the players were drinking water, he said oh no, it is now water time and all this happen in a single match, God forbid, The worst of it all is that the pitch is always looking like an harvested potatoes farm, i do rather be walking in the street like a mad man than spent a minute watching nigeria league. It is only in nigeria league you will see a pure water seller, mai shai, egg seller, ground nut seller, moi moi seller and others in the stadium hawking about going from one stand to another. Ha!!! Spits and round out of thread.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by MrAkata: 8:42am On Aug 24, 2020
It's because of a colonial mindset. Black people globally don't respect or place value in anything black. The proximity to whiteness increases the value of anything as it relates to black people
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by KosiGee(m): 8:47am On Aug 24, 2020
There are lots of fans of Nigerian league and Nigerian football clubs.

Enugu Rangers remains my team and I’ll forever be a fan. It’s my local football club when I was growing up. I also support Arsenal but Coal city and Enugu Rangers remains my no 1. I can’t rid myself of the passion I have for them.

The management of the club and the league need to improve. Enugu Rangers, 3SC, Kano pillars and even Insurance of Benin could rebrand and attract lots of sponsorship and supports.
They shouldn’t be relying heavily on the governors and state governments.

If I could pay about £65 plus to buy Arsenal and Super Eagles shirts, i’d pay more to have a quality Enugu Rangers shirts but sadly those jerseys don’t exist. It’s a huge revenue loss for teams like Rangers and 3SC aka IICC shooting stars not to have quality souvenirs....where are the shirts, hats, drinking mugs, towels, etc...the ones available are badly made and the revenue goes into private pockets.

I’m team Nigeria league and a fan of Enugu Rangers...thousands of miles away from Coal city but I always attend matches when I’m in town.

Pinnick and co should come back picnic and do a better job.
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by loudsmoker419: 8:50am On Aug 24, 2020
The league needs
1. Good jersey deals (new jersey every match)
2. Security personnels and security laws to bring violence to zero! (Arresting any violent bastard and giving him better jail time)
3. Above average stadium facilities
4. Topnotch marketing
5. HD quality video production
6. Affordable ticket (500 regular)

Before you know this shit would be on cable TV and that would be more money for the league. Apart from that it would generate lots of job opportunities for my people and lots of revenue for the government, but Nigerian govt no dey think at all

But sadly before this can happen Nigerians have to be comfortable as people first, cos na only people wey don chop Belle full dey go watch live match for stadium weekly

B3ACHSIDE:
It has been my observation that Nigerians are versed with European soccer leagues like English premier league and Spanish premier league ,and perhaps Italian and German. I find it weird because most countries I've visited usually prefer their own sport leagues. For example , Lithuania is a basketball nation and they have their own basketball league( Lietuvos krepšinio lyga) which they enjoy . In fact, most people there are not versed with America's NBA league because they prefer their own league .
Most people in Brazil and Argentina prefer their own soccer league ,despite the fact they probably have some of their top stars in European league.
Most people in North America prefer American leagues. Even though soccer is not one of the most popular sports in the US, most North American soccer fans still prefer American soccer league and the stadiums are usually filled.

Why don't Nigerians like Nigerian soccer league, and what do you think can be done to improve so that it becomes a household league that Nigerians can enjoy and frequent ?

Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by DaRuud(m): 8:54am On Aug 24, 2020
The major problem why Nigerians don't watch or know about the Nigeria Premier League is largely due to the fact on some of these reasons .

1. Publicity - I can't really pin point one TV station
or Cable network that stream these matches live , not even hilights . NTA , haven't done that either . Check out the Supersports they stream matches live on SS9 and you can watch hilights on SS Blitz that's where I know the likes of Mamelodi Sundown , Kaizer Chiefs , Polokwane , Supersports Utd , Amazulu , Celtic , . . . .

2. Poor Pitches - Most of the pitches in Nigeria are badly maintained , .when you see the pitches used in South Africa League you will be force to live football.

3. Must- Win-Home-Matches - another reason most people don't like the NPL is the fact that a home team must win either by hook or crook .
Sunshine can never defeat Enyimba in Aba or Gombe United defeating Kano Pillars in Kano .

4. LMC vs NFA vs NFF saga . The Corruption in the NPL is just so massive .

5. Unattractive Jerseys .

6. Uninteresting play style. NPL is just shoot and follow . That's why its hard for a Nigeria Team to triumph in continental league competition

100. Poor Renumeration - The league is badly funded hence the pays if these players is meagre compared to what other players get in South Africa , Tunisia , Egypt , Morocco

B3ACHSIDE:
It has been my observation that Nigerians are versed with European soccer leagues like English premier league and Spanish premier league ,and perhaps Italian and German. I find it weird because most countries I've visited usually prefer their own sport leagues. For example , Lithuania is a basketball nation and they have their own basketball league( Lietuvos krepšinio lyga) which they enjoy . In fact, most people there are not versed with America's NBA league because they prefer their own league .
Most people in Brazil and Argentina prefer their own soccer league ,despite the fact they probably have some of their top stars in European league.
Most people in North America prefer American leagues. Even though soccer is not one of the most popular sports in the US, most North American soccer fans still prefer American soccer league and the stadiums are usually filled.

Why don't Nigerians like Nigerian soccer league, and what do you think can be done to improve so that it becomes a household league that Nigerians can enjoy and frequent ?

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by SexytorresE(f): 8:55am On Aug 24, 2020
Cos we hate lies . I can’t be seeing a “Conner kick” while ref will award it as “penalty “

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by Jaqenhghar: 8:57am On Aug 24, 2020
B3ACHSIDE:

Niggerians are coons who like everything foreign. To the average Niggerian foreign means better. Thats why we will ignore talented footballers at home to go and look for foreign based players. Ironically the foreign based players are mostly products of our ow country which we refuse to give a chance.
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by Dreadlock69(m): 9:02am On Aug 24, 2020
Aye city vs United
Woss nah you score us 8 -2 abi
Scorpion /axeman bring me axe
You grab
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by Bahamas95(m): 9:04am On Aug 24, 2020
Our people say......"Eka shini ugboko mojo"

They should package it to attract football lovers.
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by LZAA: 9:05am On Aug 24, 2020
imhotep:

Sai APC

cc lzaa
Sai caliphate grin
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by oluwaSavage: 9:06am On Aug 24, 2020
christejames:

Great submission, I am also a big fan of our league and earnestly can't wait to see it become a household name on the continent.

Since we both share the same passion, if you don't mind I will like to add you to one of the best whatsapp groups in the country on Naija league, it houses some media officers, LMC officers, players, and passionate fans like us. If you do want to join please let me have your number.

alright

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by BrangG: 9:08am On Aug 24, 2020
Is it really about not liking? I differ. The marketing of the NPL is the issue. No guarantee that you can watch its matches on TV like you can for foreign leagues. It’s a potpourri of reasons anyway and not just about NOT liking.
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by membranus: 9:11am On Aug 24, 2020
B3ACHSIDE:
It's weird how a country of 200 million people and yet there's no diversity in sports.
Sport leagues and events generate billions of dollars to the US and European economies. Nigerians preference of European league contributes to growth of European economy.
Why do Nigerians prefer Toyota to Innoson? why do Nigerians prefer inflated Chinese firms and Julius Berger firm than their own ? it simply makes no sense . Why is a Nigerian's life long dream or goal is to migrate to US,Canada,Australia,Sweden,Norway,Germany,Netherlands,Japan,etc. ?

Why? Because all of us Don't really identify with the country as a bonafide Nigerian citizen (except those that are benefiting illegally from it).

The country is heavily dissented along tribal line. And this is getting more pronounced every day as the country continue to descend into greater violent and financial disturbance.

It is time for its dissolution, or maybe restructuring.
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by Adex2442: 9:14am On Aug 24, 2020
When there's no electricity and security

. People in those counties watch football at night. Can u do same in Nigeria?
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by Nobody: 9:25am On Aug 24, 2020
Goalnaldo:
sorry if you're really an Australian woman, how did you come to know about this forum?

My man is igbo

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by Culin(f): 9:26am On Aug 24, 2020
Because na who dey home must win...or else. grin
Watching NPL is like eating Nigerian rice, stone everywhere, literally. The last time I was in Gombe, tried to watch Gombe united and plateau united game, plateau united won that game and it ended in stones and pure water being thrown everywhere, police had to come disperse the crowd with tear gas before we could go out of the stadium. Never doing that shit again. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by Noble11(m): 9:27am On Aug 24, 2020
Two local clubs playing on Saturday in tanzania....we just need to develop and improve our local leagues security and gate fees also make environment conducive for both home and away teams...

3 Likes

Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by bethelofficial: 9:29am On Aug 24, 2020
Liven Up Your Living Spaces

Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by RealEzee(m): 9:32am On Aug 24, 2020
uncleinans:

I still prefer foreign music than the rubish Nigerians sing. Songs without sense and meaning.
you've listened to The Cavemen? Don't tell me you think Naija music begins and ends with gbese ooo grin
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by farouk2much(m): 9:33am On Aug 24, 2020
WHY BUHARI GO TO LONDON 4 TREATMENT?
WHY MINISTERS CHILDREN TRAVELLED OUTSIDE 4 EDUCATION?
WHY OUR LOWMAKERS TRAVEL TO EUROP AND ASIA 4 HOLIDAYS & TOURISM?
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by VonSmallhausen: 9:33am On Aug 24, 2020
This is an interesting question, and like most complex issues the causes are numerous and intertwined.

First - The clubs are run like mere political appendages of the various State Governments - their leaderships are political appointees, with little or no interest in the progress of football. Funds for player remuneration are mismanaged, funds from player sales are embezzled out right etc.

This results in poorly motivated players who put up sub-optimal performances on the pitch!

Second - Related to the first point, poor match attendances (who wants to watch poorly motivated players play?)

Third - Related to the second point, No sponsorship and no TV viewership!

Fourth - Below average management skills from the NFF/League Management Company regarding marketing, match-day security, match officiating etc.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by Goalnaldo(m): 9:34am On Aug 24, 2020
Missyford31:

My man is igbo
okay

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by Slynation(m): 9:35am On Aug 24, 2020
B3ACHSIDE:

Which useless league where they usually fight and beat up referees at will... A league where home team must always win, A league where players and staffs salaries is a joke to the organizers and employees, A dilapidated league with nothing to write home about....

Abegiiii........!!
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by Goalnaldo(m): 9:39am On Aug 24, 2020
Missyford31:

You're correct. I'm an Australian woman n we love our AFL (Australian football league) not many follow overseas football or soccer. I guess sum might but I've never met any. The only time we follow is wen our cricket teams play other countries teams. Our football is similar to rugby yet completely different to it. It's a good game n Aussie states play against each other all year then have finals similar to soccer in that way but they don't play other countries as is only an Australian game. Other countries don't play it. We do have teams in other sports I'm not sure bout soccer tho if we have a team cos I've never met anyone who watches it here. Sum primary school n high school kids do have school teams n I think there's local soccer clubs in some areas for adults but isn't that popular
you guys have soccer, you probably aren't interested in it. Teams like Western Sydney wanderers, Sydney FC, Newcastle Jets are all Australian football teams.
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by ItsCheeze(m): 9:43am On Aug 24, 2020
You yourself do you like the Nigerian Football League ?
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by ImaIma1(f): 9:44am On Aug 24, 2020
Going from epl/cl/Europa, etc to NFL is like going from dstv HD channels to NTA channel 7.

O wrong now
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by ILLarii: 9:52am On Aug 24, 2020
I am a big fan of the two Nigeria football giant that is enyimba and rangers .
They are so many reasons why our league is as it is today
1. Corruption
2. Tribalism and nepotism
3.bad football pitches and poor stadium infrastructure ,even thou now most stadiums and pitches are been worked on by monimichelle
4.the worst commentary in the world ( I know they people the have to feed but they need to sack every single one of the commentary team)
5.poor security ( they should fill the stadiums with strong security who will enforce strong check at the entrance for dangerous object and using 80% Southsecurity in the north and 80% north security in the east)
6.no media covered at all
7.poor Jersey quality
8.poor video quality
9.we need to change our referees cause they are the worst ,or better still take them for referee courses in england IFAB
10.price of ticket and Jersey

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by Bossman25(m): 9:59am On Aug 24, 2020
I no fit laugh...I swear I fall comot for chair Oooo.

cry
nBag:

my brother chop knuckle. I cannot forget 2004 growing up in Kano. my brothers decided to flex me as per bday boy. them Carry me go stadium go watch pillars game. weed smell choke us till bday boy fell asleep na fight wake me up. imagine a close range shot brushed the goal post and rest on the net from behind not inside o. referee see the thing like inside net e blow goal. fight start trust Hausa boys naa. my question is if the owners referee missed it. what was the referee doing. if you see how we take cut out leave stadium.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by GiZcorp: 10:00am On Aug 24, 2020
Because the sport sector reeks of monumental corruption too.
Re: Why Don't Nigerians Like The Nigerian Football League by Bossman25(m): 10:17am On Aug 24, 2020
Funny babe.
The funniest part is that the FA Cup in England, likewise the Copa Del Rey in Spain, is called the Challenge Cup, it has one funny name like that.
It doesn't even have swag at all.
The jersies alone are like Egungun own....too much red and yellow.......like Watford.
Eyimba blue jersey so dull......that Chelsea's jersey is better than it.

SexytorresE:
Cos we hate lies . I can’t be seeing a “Conner kick” while ref will award it as “penalty “

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Sylvester Igboun Sets Ufa All-time Goals Record At Russian Club / 10-man Nairaland Football Team Hold Yaba Team / Victor Osimhen Close To Completing €81 Million Move To Napoli

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.