Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,636 members, 7,958,911 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 07:15 AM

Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos - Culture (26) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos (66132 Views)

Supreme Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar, Orders New Selection / Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision / Samuel Adegbola: Supreme Court Dethrones First-Class Oyo Monarch, Eleruwa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by CoolAmbience(m): 2:18pm On Aug 27, 2020
Gilgil:

There is no jubilation on the streets of Igboland By Igbo women because we all know that Supreme Court judgement is on paper.

The problem is that Many people don’t study yet jump to conclusions.

The real question is what inheritance are we speaking about?

It’s broken into several parts:

1. Native land owned by the father is for the males Only. Non-negotiable.
2. Bought-over land, cars, liquid assets, etc Owned by the father is for all the children.
3. Bought-over land owned by the mother is at her discretion.
4. Houses built on native land for the mother is bequeathed to her last son.
5. All other properties of the mother E.g Bought-over land, Jewelry, cars, clothing, shares, trade equipment, shops etc are inherited by the daughters only. Non-negotiable.
6. At every daughter’s traditional wedding, she is given her inheritance in cash, goods, car, home furnishing etc as much as her family can afford to go and build her life in her new family.

This is at the basic level.
So, if you are indeed from Anambra state, you should have known this as Omenana! This is the egalitarian culture you seek. You should research more on it if you haven’t already and gain more knowledge.
This creates a balance in the Igbo society.

Omenana indeed!

What is omenana about gender discrimination?

There nothing to research. Such cultures shouldn't continue as they have no real value in societies.
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by herich(m): 2:21pm On Aug 27, 2020
AmazonTopaz:

I am way smarter than you.
Anyway shut up
Dauther of
fallen demon,, claiming Igbo.
You haven't still sound smart,
Try harder.
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by herich(m): 2:25pm On Aug 27, 2020
FrLukas:

Does that also include Osu?
You're the osu,,, I'm referring to.
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by Nobody: 2:52pm On Aug 27, 2020
csamii:

Madam married to an mbaise man, I don't care! Your husband, his people, all of you generally are mad!
y

You just confirmed what I just wrote. It's not your fault at all. Your whole family and generations were already cursed and you just inherited it. Good luck with your madness.
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by Nobody: 3:08pm On Aug 27, 2020
herich:

You're applauding Yoruba demons for mocking your tribe.
Even the dullest Yoruba Lady cannot come to nairaland to make this kind of foolish post against her ethnic group.
So as you've applauded those Yoruba men for insulting your ethnicity,, they'll now travel to come fight for you in your village, people that have not left their waste enclave before in their live.
You Igbos are not smart at all.
There are so many Igbo groups on social network, where you can pour your grievances.

I didn't applaud any tribe. Read it again and this time , slowly so you would understand . What makes you different from the Yoruba's whom you claimed said ill stuffs toward your tribe ? Absolutely nothing cuz you just did same thing they did as well .

This is not about tribe , evil is evil regardless of tribe and this is exactly the problem with Nigeria today. We only speak the truth when whomever that erred isn't from same tribe but the moment it's same tribe , we will shift our focus from the main problem and turn it into a tribal war.
When a Yoruba man is accused of corruption, the Northerners and the Easters would be screaming for his head while the Yoruba's will start defending the accused cuz he is a Yoruba man instead of focusing on making sure that this accused man should be brought to justic regardless of tribe . This goes vice versa and that is why every corrupt politician in Nigeria goes scot free every time cuz his tribe men would stand up to defend him.

Defending traditions that had no positive impact in the lives of our mothers,sisters and future wives because I'm an Igbo women indirectly means that I'm supporting this evil tradition that would go on to affect my unborn daughters and their generations .

The truth is always bitter. I don't expect everyone to understand that. If only you knew what your Igbo sisters are going through in their marriages in Igbolands , then you will speak up against these traditions regardless.

And before you call anyone's post foolish again , think twice cuz it's obvious you lack common sense of comprehension. You just made yourself sound exactly like your backward counterparts in the village. Daft punk.
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by DexterousOne(m): 3:09pm On Aug 27, 2020
ZZ22:
I won't be surprised if you have not step a foot in Igbo land but vomiting all these trash. You might even be talking from what you have watched in the movies and taking it for reality.
How do you chase someone away from the properties she has its papers intact or are you trying to tell me Igbos will their properties to their brothers instead of their wives.

The Fulani supreme court can't decide the way we will our properties here in the east.

Too late

The supposed "Fulani supreme court" has ruled

And that's final

Anyone who wants to wilfully and stubbornly disobey
Anything you see

Dont blame Buhari
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by DexterousOne(m): 3:10pm On Aug 27, 2020
Classyuniquebae:

I didn't applaud any tribe. Read it again and this time , slowly so you would understand . What makes you different from the Yoruba's whom you claimed said ill stuffs toward your tribe ? Absolutely nothing cuz you just did same thing they did as well .

This is not about tribe , evil is evil regardless of tribe and this is exactly the problem with Nigeria today. We only speak the truth when whomever that erred isn't from same tribe but the moment it's same tribe , we will shift our focus from the main problem and turn it into a tribal war.
When a Yoruba man is accused of corruption, the Northerners and the Easters would be screaming for his head while the Yoruba's will start defending the accused cuz he is a Yoruba man instead of focusing on making sure that this accused man should be brought to justic regardless of tribe . This goes vice versa and that is why every corrupt politician in Nigeria goes scot free every time cuz his tribe men would stand up to defend him.

Defending traditions that had no positive impact in the lives of our mothers,sisters and future wives because I'm an Igbo women indirectly means that I'm supporting this evil tradition that would go on to affect my unborn daughters and their generations .

The truth is always bitter. I don't expect everyone to understand that. If only you knew what your Igbo sisters are going through in their marriages in Igbolands , then you will speak up against these traditions regardless.

Dont mind them

Thay cultural practice is WRONG!
PERIOD!

I wont say because I'm an igbo person
I'll support this kind of travesty

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by DexterousOne(m): 3:21pm On Aug 27, 2020
hammer8:

I THINK THIS THING IS THE SAME ACROSS AFRICA, EXCEPT YORUBA LAND.

THE YORUBA ARE TRYING TO USE SUPREME COURT TO IMPORT IT TO IGBO LAND BUT IT WILL NOT WORK.

See your mentality?

What brought "Yoruba people" into the argument now ? undecided

The ruling is potent..

Any man who dies intestate in Igbo land (which most of them will, I know my people very well)
The properties he left behind will be shared among his surviving spouse AND children

Any brother or whoever that want to do anyhow
The person should prepare for what comes with it
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by DexterousOne(m): 3:38pm On Aug 27, 2020
trutharena:

Lol. Yoruba parent and education is a match made in heaven. A father will try all the means to send his children to school either university or polytechnic. If he doesn’t have the might to do that, he will make sure to send him to learn a trade or technical work. Even your fellow Ibos on here will laugh at your claim that Yorubas don’t train their kids in school.

They are countless Igbo baby mamas flocked around the west let alone if you go to the SE states.

Several Igbo girls are family broken such that they constitute the highest number of prostitutes in brothels. They are so useless that they even bring their family members to ply the prostitute trade with them. What more useless can one be? A sister calling her younger sister to come do the prostitution while their mother grant her blessing.

What about the baby factory? What could be a more social menace could be more than that?

Is it not the same Ibo culture that women drink the water used to wash their dead husband? The same culture that they shave hair of women off? Such archaic mentality!

I will always take the Yoruba culture a million times over the Ibo culture. Not because I’m Yoruba but because the Yoruba culture is more posh and refined.

What rubbish are you talking about now? undecided

Does this whole silly talk make you feel better about yourself?
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by DexterousOne(m): 3:39pm On Aug 27, 2020
Geekhard:
Did you people just wake up? This judgement is over five years now ...so this is stale news...anyway i support the judgement. The rationale is very sound.

Indeed
The rationale is solid
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by Nobody: 3:48pm On Aug 27, 2020
trutharena:

Lol that was why I never believed them in the first place.

But this thread is exactly the same as the scenario in the movies and that was why I made mention of the movies I’ve watched.

Try to advise your people to stop those archaic culture. Read this to them at the village square:
“ We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights”

Your women deserves the best too, the deserve the right to inheritance!

God bless the judge that made this landmark judgement.
Alright, if you insist.

peace!
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by Nobody: 4:03pm On Aug 27, 2020
AmazonTopaz:
Thank you madam I am also an igbo lady and I agree with you that is why I cannot marry an igbo man backward people that resist change.Sameastson,hammer8,csamii and lordsamuel come and defend yourselves
Alright, if you insist.
peace!

you can even marry from the land of the Dwarves, it's your life, your marriage and your happiness because you're not gonna see me in your home.
I wish you Buhari Goodluck.
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by baby124: 4:13pm On Aug 27, 2020
Cantonese:

Hypocrisy. That's why this nation remains where it is. You leave what happens in the entire nation and pretentiously consign it to the Igbos, just because of your dislike of the Igbos. You deliberately act as if it does not happen in your tribe. Anyway maybe you are still very young and have absolutely no experience or knowledge in this matter.

I advise you to ask Yoruba elders around you if such a thing has never happened or it does not happen in your own tribe.

Ask the northerners around you too if such a thing does not happen. That can help you for clarity when you discuss such a heavy matter as this.

I am not a Chinese. I am a Nigerian but I also think you are a very young person with no experience.
You just de lie with confidence. You need mental check. Even my great grandmother inherited vast lands from her father. And her father only had girls. I am sure you are Chinese and I am sure I am older than you.
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by Nobody: 9:34pm On Aug 27, 2020
csamii:

Madam married to an mbaise man, I don't care! Your husband, his people, all of you generally are mad!

It takes a mad man to recognize a fellow mad man. Obviously your whole generation including your father , mother , sister and brothers are all mad. Demented fool.
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by Nobody: 1:20am On Aug 28, 2020
baby124:

Sharia is not customary, it’s religious. Hausa’s and Fulani also have their customary laws outside of Sharia. Sharia should not even be allowed in Nigeria. It should not be recognized. Just like Church law is not recognized.
U can't take custom out of religion. There is no customary court in any Sharia states & it's allowed for people to appeal to either Sharia appeal court or high court and up to supreme court when one isn't satisfied by Sharia court judgement, u can even choose that ur case not to be entertained at Sharia court- all this thing isn't by force. It's open option & fundamental human right for Christians to consider enshrining Christian court if they've enough provision to cater in their religious book. We were given the chance & we took it, u can't envy the perfection of others just because you've religious incompleteness.
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by csamii: 4:17am On Aug 28, 2020
Classyuniquebae:

It takes a mad man to recognize a fellow mad man. Obviously your whole generation including your father , mother , sister and brothers are all mad. Demented fool.

Keep showcasing your madness. If e pain you too much, kill yasef!
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by ABOVEDELAW: 6:16am On Aug 28, 2020
WHEN PIGS FLY
ojuu4u:

Law enforcement agents are there to implement it. When you are in jail you will let go of someone properties, if ur dad doesn't have properties to share you don't die. You have 2 hands and functional brain . you to can work and own ur own properties.

Greedy set of tribe.
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by Nobody: 7:52am On Aug 28, 2020
csamii:

Keep showcasing your madness. If e pain you too much, kill yasef!

Hahahaaha. I wana let you know that I don't back out from fools who don't know how to either mind their businesses or respect other people's opinion or state their own opinion without insulting others. You think you are a an online troll? I will teach you better so next time you stay off my mention. I've got your time. God forsaken bastard from a senseless sets of Parents. Bring it on. I'm not your regular Igbo girl . You find my trouble, I will give it to you 100 folds.
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by csamii: 9:44am On Aug 28, 2020
Classyuniquebae:

Hahahaaha. I wana let you know that I don't back out from fools who don't know how to either mind their businesses or respect other people's opinion or state their own opinion without insulting others. You think you are a an online troll? I will teach you better so next time you stay off my mention. I've got your time. God forsaken bastard from a senseless sets of Parents. Bring it on. I'm not your regular Igbo girl . You find my trouble, I will give it to you 100 folds.

Keep ranting, yaba left patient.
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by Gilgil: 11:52am On Aug 28, 2020
CoolAmbience:

Omenana indeed!

What is omenana about gender discrimination?

There nothing to research. Such cultures shouldn't continue as they have no real value in societies.

Well, when it comes to African cultures we become super “woke”.

Now I have given you a clear description of what inheritance is in Igbo land and in its balance. No comments about each point made just a blanket cover of gender inequality. Please counter them 1 by 1.

Go check the traditions in Japan, in China, the monarchy of England, the aristocracies of Europe etc., not even talking the Arab monarchies all holding sway today which many of our people feel are sophisticated. Go and tell them to change their cultures. And by the way, their countries are still lots ahead of Nigeria.

Summary is that Igbo traditional laws on inheritance are not shifting. Because it is already balanced for the people and it is accepted. Just that many don’t know the details, apparently from this thread!
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by Nobody: 1:57pm On Aug 28, 2020
herich:

You're the osu,,, I'm referring to.

You must mistake me for your family members.
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by CoolAmbience(m): 4:18pm On Aug 28, 2020
Gilgil:

Well, when it comes to African cultures we become super “woke”.

Now I have given you a clear description of what inheritance is in Igbo land and in its balance. No comments about each point made just a blanket cover of gender inequality. Please counter them 1 by 1.

Go check the traditions in Japan, in China, the monarchy of England, the aristocracies of Europe etc., not even talking the Arab monarchies all holding sway today which many of our people feel are sophisticated. Go and tell them to change their cultures. And by the way, their countries are still lots ahead of Nigeria.

Summary is that Igbo traditional laws on inheritance are not shifting. Because it is already balanced for the people and it is accepted. Just that many don’t know the details, apparently from this thread!

Why have the Igbos and other cultures not sustained the killing of twin children in the name of culture?

All of these international cultures have been modified severally at different times.

Nothing is set in stones, especially when there is no measurable value addition to humanity.
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by Gilgil: 5:34pm On Aug 28, 2020
CoolAmbience:

Why have the Igbos and other cultures not sustained the killing of twin children in the name of culture?

All of these international cultures have been modified severally at different times.

Nothing is set in stones, especially when there is no measurable value addition to humanity.

Fair point, they adjusted from the cultures Like killing of twins because these were found to be superstitious.

There is no superstition involved in the inheritance culture. It’s actually segmented whereby everyone gets a share; both men and women but for different things.

The point I am making is that most people don’t have these details Of the inheritance culture I have listed ( which are actually the base level) yet go out screaming that females are marginalized and get nothing of inheritance in Igbo land.

The only inheritance technically off limits to females in Igbo land are ancestral land. This is so that each geographical location keeps the history of their ownership; key for people to maintain Their paternal origins for reference and maternal affiliations For back-up. Every other thing Females inherit. Essentially females have lots of several inheritance items

Knowledge is like light in the darkness.
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by Homeboiy: 9:09pm On Aug 29, 2020
AmazonTopaz:

It seems that is the mentality they brainwash their ladies with not to fight for their properties or maybe the women have something better and they don't need it.
Very backward tradition

You can go there to confirm.
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by Princedapace(m): 8:30pm On Aug 30, 2020
pocohantas:

To people who are nice to me grin.
Same here. I dreamt of you taking me shopping.

Where have you been?
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by pocohantas(f): 8:38pm On Aug 30, 2020
Princedapace:

Where have you been?

Been around the world. Happy Sunday to you... cheesy
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by Princedapace(m): 1:00am On Aug 31, 2020
pocohantas:

Been around the world. Happy Sunday to you... cheesy

Sent you message request...

I wish you same dear
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by pocohantas(f): 1:10am On Aug 31, 2020
Princedapace:

Sent you message request...

I wish you same dear

I avoid NL males now. I don’t wanna hear I am someone’s EX...make we dey do the friendship here biko. Good morning

2 Likes

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by Princedapace(m): 1:12am On Aug 31, 2020
pocohantas:

I avoid NL males now. I don’t wanna hear I am someone’s EX...make we dey do the friendship here biko. Good morning

Lol
Seems u really have issues with NL guys? Any ways, aside political section, I'm rarely into NL.
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by izzou(m): 7:58am On Aug 31, 2020
pocohantas:

grin grin grin

You no well, walahi.. grin

Meanwhile I've been waiting for your nudes to be littered on this forum, yet I never see embarassed

What's happening? sad
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by pocohantas(f): 9:05am On Aug 31, 2020
Princedapace:

Lol
Seems u really have issues with NL guys? Any ways, aside political section, I'm rarely into NL.

I don’t. I just identify demons and avoid them. smiley

izzou:

grin grin grin

You no well, walahi.. grin

Meanwhile I've been waiting for your nudes to be littered on this forum, yet I never see embarassed
What's happening? sad

They are compiling a nudes album maybe. For now we would manage a regular list of my ex-boyfriends. grin grin

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by Princedapace(m): 9:25am On Aug 31, 2020
pocohantas:

I don’t. I just identify demons and avoid them. smiley

They are compiling a nudes album maybe. For now we would manage a regular list of my ex-boyfriends. grin grin

Demons? Lol

Seems u are quite popular here. Any ways, not to be counted among nairalad guys kind of thing. Aside politics, don't find much interesting here any ways.
Hope u slept well. Wishing u a great day.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (Reply)

Coronation Of Godwin Oguyenbo As The Pere Of Olodiama Kingdom Edo Causes Tension / Oluwo Of Iwo And Chanel Chin Throw Jabs At Each Other / Beauty Of Middlebelt Nigerian Women

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.