Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,747 members, 7,809,857 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:05 PM

Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos - Culture (25) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos (63730 Views)

Supreme Court Dethrones Obong Of Calabar, Orders New Selection / Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision / Samuel Adegbola: Supreme Court Dethrones First-Class Oyo Monarch, Eleruwa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by GreyLaw(m): 10:36am On Aug 27, 2020
Fabulousl0l:

You even sure he meet anybody? undecided

You even sure he meet anybody?

Don't mind him.
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by Sirwallace(m): 10:45am On Aug 27, 2020
Fabulousl0l:

You met a guy from Anambra What's his name? mumu Typing rubbish on a faceless forum

another clown coming through.
Thanks the stars many of you have now moved down south.
foolish fellow.
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by AmazonTopaz(f): 10:49am On Aug 27, 2020
LordSamuel:
-BREAKING NEWS

Ass busted.

I said a very bad thing against you in Igbo language,
Oh! I thought you understands,
Sorry, grin grin grin IGBO WANNABE
Like I said I don't care.
I understood what you said but you are so insignificant for me to take seriously or roll in the mud with you.
Now kpamwamre grin
Otiku.
Anyway I am igbo whatever you think doesn't change that.Now fuo osiso tongue

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by AmazonTopaz(f): 10:50am On Aug 27, 2020
Cheeryfeet:
Seriously you need help
Na you need am take this you go dey alright

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by Nobody: 10:54am On Aug 27, 2020
SamEastson:
All these defamatory comments were brought about by TMKsouth thread about South Africans liking the Igbos.

You see the propaganda that I was talking about
@ TMKsouth
Why are you calling someone who has no business in this thread, you want him to come and see how divided and stupid Nigerians are?
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by herich(m): 10:56am On Aug 27, 2020
pasol4real:
The same useless Supreme Court that made uzodinma ,an unpopular candidate a governor, is who I will listen to against my wise n knowledgeable fore fathers.
Waste of time,even the so called women you favoured knows it’s a judgement in futility. Imagine handing over my fathers land in the village to my elder sister who got married to a man from Edo state.God forbid she dies , so the Supreme Court are telling me that an Edo man been her husband will now come to my village n take over my fathers land..... lol I laugh in Swahili

Just leave those descendants of fallen demon, I blame their empty skull forefathers.
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by Nobody: 11:14am On Aug 27, 2020
AmazonTopaz:

Like I said I don't care.
I understood what you said but you are so insignificant for me to take seriously or roll in the mud with you.
Now kpamwamre grin
Otiku.
Anyway I am igbo whatever you think doesn't change that.Now fuo osiso tongue
I like you, aswear!
God, please forgive me for what I said to this fellow, Amen.
you guys should stop claiming what you're not.
even google translate failed you.
But, thanks for the meme,
it got me rolling on the floor.
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by AmazonTopaz(f): 11:59am On Aug 27, 2020
LordSamuel:
I like you, aswear!
God, please forgive me for what I said to this fellow, Amen.
you guys should stop claiming what you're not.
even google translate failed you.
But, thanks for the meme,
it got me rolling on the floor.
It did not get you to faint don't like me.
Don't worry I forgive you and I used bini and igbo to post and you did not understand the languages did you? cheesy Of course not.
Anyway it doesn't change the fact that I am igbo lady from Abia state.Cry all you want I love yoruba's very much especially their men cheesy
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by herich(m): 12:00pm On Aug 27, 2020
baby124:

Yoruba don’t disinherit their daughters and make them destitute. They always have a place to stay as long as there is a family house. Plus it makes them empowered so that no man will maltreat or kill them. It is Yoruba men that created this culture to protect their daughters. What Igbo men choose for their daughters is their problem, but it’s rather unfortunate. As for you, never ever put your daughter at such a disadvantage in life and to the mercy of a stranger you call son-in law.

You will not like what will happen to your daughter and grand children should she fall in wrong hands. You can also will her the property or buy property that will be hers that is not ancestral to protect her and train her to have a survivorship clause where it goes to her children and never the husband.

I have properties from my father and all those properties will go to my girl children and males too. But the girls will have more. I am training them too to pass it on to their girls too, 2:1 female:male grandkids.

I know of so many women in my community and maternal home,,, who did not marry or had marital problem,,, that lives in their father's or late father's house, still cultivate in their father's land.
My maternal grandpa's house with about 12, with a very specious sitting room is lying empty, if my mum decides to make use of some of the rooms,,, no one will challenge her.(some rooms are occupied by my uncles cousins) my uncles have their own mansions,,, both in village and cities. My fathers house is lying empty, if my sisters lives their husbands house to base their,, what's my concern,, every young Igbo man is striving hard to build his own empire and not be waiting for one bedroom flat or one self-contained he will inherit from his father.
That is what many able men are doing in south west and south south,,, they'll be jobless and be waiting to collect house rent from just two rooms they inherited from their father and that will be their only source of income, next is to harass and extort money from non indigenes.
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by AmazonTopaz(f): 12:03pm On Aug 27, 2020
Thank you madam I am also an igbo lady and I agree with you that is why I cannot marry an igbo man backward people that resist change.Sameastson,hammer8,csamii and lordsamuel come and defend yourselves
Classyuniquebae:
To all the Nairaland men who spoke up against this devilish Igbo cultures that subjects their women to nothing regardless of tribe, I applaud you all. Today I'm proud to be a Nairalander. I've come to realize that we still have Nigerian men with a lot of conscience and civilization.
Let me shock you guys more, that tradition is the least of traditions that put Igbo women in the position of dogs . In most igbo families, women have been conditioned mentally to believe that a woman has no say in the family regardless of the situation. I mean literarily in everything. You are meant to speak when spoken to and just obey the men in the house. For instance , in an extended family , your husbands cousins who are younger than you have the right to talk you down or shut you up and all you have to do is swallow it and keep shut all because you are a woman . Any day you decide to speak up , you become an evil woman and would be reprimanded by all and sundry including your fellow women because psychological they have being made to accept that life style as normal. The Igbos are really backward in thinking even those whom you thought went to school .

In-between I'm an Igbo woman and equally married to an Igbo man in Mbaise . My people, even my husband couldn't believe all the nonsense , senseless and useless traditions he heard during his father's burial . Imagine your father's uncles, cousins and relatives telling you as a grown man that you can not decide on how to bury your father until they approve it . It was hell but I had to show them that not all women would be caged up.
Igbo women are really suffering in their marriages to Igbo men. Problems of extended families and all these devilish traditions should really be looked into. These women would go through hell , only for their children to grow up and continue from where their uncles stopped in oppressing women.
It's really sad.

1 Like

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by herich(m): 12:09pm On Aug 27, 2020
hammer8:

SO POOR MEN IN YORUBA LAND, DAUGHTERS ARE DESTITUTE BECOS THEIR FATHER DONT HAVE ANY PROPERTY FOR THEM TO INHERIT?

Leave those mentaly deranged tribe, that thinks,,, they're smart, daughters of Yoruba men who doesn't even have their own house,, as property,,, will have to live in the forest,,, because their parents did not leave single room for them to live.
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by AmazonTopaz(f): 12:10pm On Aug 27, 2020
hammer8:

EVEN AN ADOPTED SON HAVE MORE RIGHT TO ANCESTRAL PROPERTIES THAN OUR BLOOD DAUGHTERS.

ADOPTION IS RECOGNISED IN IGBO LAND LAW.
What a pathetic tradition.
Thank God the supreme court law has changed that nonsense.
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by AmazonTopaz(f): 12:13pm On Aug 27, 2020
hammer8:
I ASK AGAIN, DOES NIGERIA HAVE COURT?

NONSENSE!
They don't oo.
Just do anyhow you go see anyhow from the courts backward mentality.
Tueh.
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by AmazonTopaz(f): 12:20pm On Aug 27, 2020
hammer8:

ANCESTRAL PROPERTY DO NOT NEED WILL IN IGBO LAND.

IF MY DAUGHTER HAVE SENSE, SHE WILL NOT EVEN GO THERE OR THE gods OF THE LAND WILL VISIT HER WITH THEIR FULL WRATH.

PERSONAL PROPERTIES ALL GO TO MY WIFE, BECOS NA ONLY SHE BE THE WOMAN THAT CAN INHERIT ME AND THEIR AFTER DIVIDED AMONG MY CHILDREN, WITH MY SONS HAVING THE LION SHARE.

IGBO MEN DO GIVE THEIR DAUGHTERS GIFT IN THEIR WILL BUT NEVER INHERITANCE.
Stop lying abeg.
They give inheritance and the law of the land permits them to inherit stop using big words like gods of any land even you yourself does not even acknowledge such.
So stop you don't know all igbo men neither do you soeak for igbo women.If I were your daughter I will inherit a share and ensure I ruin you if you want to cheat me out of my own inheritance
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by AmazonTopaz(f): 12:22pm On Aug 27, 2020
favor914:
Zombie ancestral property don't need a will or paper work you will just inherit that half acre yam farm with word of mouth for the next 75 years? Please go and sit down somewhere you yeye male chauvinist.
You finish am.
The guy just dey talk rubbish.
The court has spoken and no stupid tradition can change that
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by AmazonTopaz(f): 12:25pm On Aug 27, 2020
Homeboiy:
Funny

Igbo Traditions differ in different igbo lands

Okosisi itodo opposed because he knew very well that Enugu Ezike women will not try to fight for land.

Igwe Nnamani agreed because iheaka don't have a strong tradition

Likewise paully Eze, knew that obukpa people don't have a strong tradition like that of Enugu Ezike people.

Well the law is for rich igbo women that can afford a lawyer.

I don't have a problem with women inheriting properties.

My uncle had 8 girls and he's late now.

The daughters have been relegated. I have called them severally to come so we can go to court and challenge why the got no land but they never showed up.
It seems that is the mentality they brainwash their ladies with not to fight for their properties or maybe the women have something better and they don't need it.
Very backward tradition
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by AmazonTopaz(f): 12:26pm On Aug 27, 2020
MelesZenawi:

It is an old news and forgotten.

Nobody know such a thing is even existing.
Speak for yourself.
We know the such judgment exist
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by AmazonTopaz(f): 12:27pm On Aug 27, 2020
hammer8:

IN OUR COMMUNITIES, WE HAVE TRADITIONAL HEADS AND LAW.

THAT IS THE LAW, U TAKE IT TO THEIR COURT.

FOREIGNERS DONT GET A SAY IN OUR AFFAIRS.
Everything in your community is owned by the government.
Keep crying the government owns it all and it can be taken to court.
Go and read and stop being ignorant it is becoming embarrassing.
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by AmazonTopaz(f): 12:29pm On Aug 27, 2020
favor914:

IN OUR COMMUNITIES, WE HAVE TRADITIONAL HEADS AND LAW.

Members of proscribed IPob?
The guys ignorance is alarming and embarrassing.
No customary law surpasses Nigerian law. cool
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by herich(m): 12:29pm On Aug 27, 2020
AmazonTopaz:
Point out where I narrated my problem.
I am igbo and I am smart and nothing will happen.
It seems the comment struck a nerve stay pained
No one really care bout your lamentation, even the yorobastad guys,, who pretends to care bout your problem, will still quote and mock you with it, in time to come.
You ain't smart at all.
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by AmazonTopaz(f): 12:32pm On Aug 27, 2020
See painment.The law is the law if any defaulter is taken to court that person cannot win
LaboPolitics:
I laugh in Odenigbo.

What they have refused not saying here is that whenever an Igbo lady gets married, the father settles her with her own inheritance as she goes into her husband's house and bears a new surname. I've seen Igbo men settle their daughters with houses, estates, cars, and other valuable properties as she goes into her husbands house. My mom was settled by her family with 2 ladies motorcycle in the days when owners of white horse bicycles were respected. Teachers and civil servants rode bicycles to work then.

It is the husband that marries the woman and her post-marital inheritance lies in her husband's domain no longer in her father's house. Her mother's inheritance is also hers in Igbo custom.

What the law will simply encourage is for criminal minded men to marry ladies from wealthy families so as to share in the largess and wealth of their father-in-laws and confront brother-in-laws for properties that they were not present when the 'sweat laid the bricks'. Chaos!

The yoruba Judge simply read an academic note not a judgment. He is not ethnically-wired to understand the nittygritty of that customary law and why wise elders of Igbo land enacted it thousands of years before his forefathers were born.

The law is deeper than quoting paper sections and subsections, it is unimplementable. You can't force Igbo men to will their properties into another family where their daughters are married into after settling the daughter with her own share of the family properties when they she got married.

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by AmazonTopaz(f): 12:33pm On Aug 27, 2020
herich:

No one really care bout your lamentation, even the yorobastad guys,, who pretends to care bout your problem, will still quote and mock you with it, in time to come.
You ain't smart at all.
I am way smarter than you.
Anyway shut up

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by csamii: 12:34pm On Aug 27, 2020
AmazonTopaz:
Thank you madam I am also an igbo lady and I agree with you that is why I cannot marry an igbo man backward people that resist change.Sameastson,hammer8,csamii and lordsamuel come and defend yourselves

Stop mentioning me. I gave you the time of your life yesterday be wise to let it end there. If you like go marry a midget, I and others alike won't even notice.
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by AmazonTopaz(f): 12:36pm On Aug 27, 2020
LaboPolitics:

If you right in your will that your daughter and yoruba husband to take over your mansion in the village, nobody will fight it. But if you die intestate, the community will not allow your daughter bring in strangers to desecrate their land, that's you are really Igbo.

The government owns the community and there is nothing the community will do to stop the court from implementing it's own judgment.
You lots overhype your little power.
Even money will change hands and the community people will shut up
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by AmazonTopaz(f): 12:36pm On Aug 27, 2020
csamii:

Stop mentioning me. I gave you the time of your life yesterday be wise to let it end there. If you like go marry a midget, I and others alike won't even notice.
You are not worth noticing.
Are you still hurt.
You will get better. cheesy

Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by csamii: 12:38pm On Aug 27, 2020
Classyuniquebae:
To all the Nairaland men who spoke up against this devilish Igbo cultures that subjects their women to nothing regardless of tribe, I applaud you all. Today I'm proud to be a Nairalander. I've come to realize that we still have Nigerian men with a lot of conscience and civilization.
Let me shock you guys more, that tradition is the least of traditions that put Igbo women in the position of dogs . In most igbo families, women have been conditioned mentally to believe that a woman has no say in the family regardless of the situation. I mean literarily in everything. You are meant to speak when spoken to and just obey the men in the house. For instance , in an extended family , your husbands cousins who are younger than you have the right to talk you down or shut you up and all you have to do is swallow it and keep shut all because you are a woman . Any day you decide to speak up , you become an evil woman and would be reprimanded by all and sundry including your fellow women because psychological they have being made to accept that life style as normal. The Igbos are really backward in thinking even those whom you thought went to school .

In-between I'm an Igbo woman and equally married to an Igbo man in Mbaise . My people, even my husband couldn't believe all the nonsense , senseless and useless traditions he heard during his father's burial . Imagine your father's uncles, cousins and relatives telling you as a grown man that you can not decide on how to bury your father until they approve it . It was hell but I had to show them that not all women would be caged up.
Igbo women are really suffering in their marriages to Igbo men. Problems of extended families and all these devilish traditions should really be looked into. These women would go through hell , only for their children to grow up and continue from where their uncles stopped in oppressing women.
It's really sad.

Madam married to an mbaise man, I don't care! Your husband, his people, all of you generally are mad!
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by csamii: 12:42pm On Aug 27, 2020
AmazonTopaz:

You are not worth noticing.
Are you still hurt.
You will get better. cheesy

Since you claim to be igbo, your father, is he backward too?

Dirty Yoruba person claiming igbo
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by AmazonTopaz(f): 12:49pm On Aug 27, 2020
csamii:

Since you claim to be igbo, your father, is he backward too?

Dirty Yoruba person claiming igbo
No he is not he is one of the few enlightened sensible ones.

Dirty igbo boy cheesy
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by trutharena: 1:54pm On Aug 27, 2020
LordSamuel:
stop watching too much AfricanMagic, it's not good to your mental reasoning.
If you believed all that you see on TV then you'll all believe that cobwebs actually came out from spider man's body,
If you believed everything you see on the TV, you'll actually believe that America has developed a teletransporting or invisible vehicles on other science related fictional movies.
All are imaginations.
You can also believe that money rituals actually makes one rich as in the case of Pete Edochie,
You guys called him a ritualist.

Lol that was why I never believed them in the first place.

But this thread is exactly the same as the scenario in the movies and that was why I made mention of the movies I’ve watched.

Try to advise your people to stop those archaic culture. Read this to them at the village square:
“ We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights”

Your women deserves the best too, the deserve the right to inheritance!

God bless the judge that made this landmark judgement.
Re: Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos by herich(m): 2:11pm On Aug 27, 2020
MelesZenawi:

It is an old news and forgotten.

Nobody know such a thing is even existing.
Their deluded brothers resurfaced the news to mock and insult Igbos,,, while some Igbo slowpoke,,, are dancing to their antics.

(1) (2) (3) ... (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (Reply)

Ogun: The Only Yoruba Word, With 10 Meanings / Igba Nkwu Nwanyi (igbo Traditional Wedding Ceremony) / Ooni Of Ife Performs Ritual Before Boarding Arik Airplane (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.