Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,187 members, 7,822,007 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:07 AM

How I Was Defrauded At Alaba International Market Today. - Business (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How I Was Defrauded At Alaba International Market Today. (77081 Views)

Traders At Alaba Rago Market Cleaning Up After Closure (Pictures) / Traders At Alaba Rago Marker Rush To Clean-up The Market (Pictures) / Lagos Shuts Down Alaba International Market (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How I Was Defrauded At Alaba International Market Today. by Chigold101(m): 6:18pm On Sep 02, 2020
mabeni:
embarassedi went to Alaba international market to buy a set of Tokunbo Home Theatre. Luckily/ unfortunately for me i asked around and i was directed to a shop where i would find my choice. I got to the shop and i specifically told them I want a SAMSUNG Home Theater and the search began. They tested 3 diferrent sets but the last one got my attention and I asked for the price.

The seller (shop owner) told me it was 55k and i negotiated it to 25k and he asked me pay. I requested for his account details but he declined saying he doesn't take transfers. I quickly went to use POS, came back and asked for the SAMSUNG SETS i had priced be tested to avoid foul play. It was tested and i confirmed it. I paid, receipt was issued to me but without going through my receipt, I wrote my name and signed because i never suspected scam.

Now, it was time for me to leave with my purchases and the boy boy told me "the engine/DVD to the home theater i bought does not support or work with electricity but strictly works for only generator ". I asked him to repeat himself and he did. The statement didn't make sense to me. He then suggested he could swap the engine/DVD of the SAMSUNG Home Theater i bought for another one that uses electricity. I sensed foul play and asked him why he didn't tell me these before making payment.

Note: the owner of the shop had gone out when boy boy was telling me this.
Luckily, he came back to meet us arguing. I narrated what his boy told me about the sound system they sold for me he affirmed to it that the engine/DVD doesn't use electricity. I got confused and demanded for a refund. These guys refused. Insisting I take another DVD...i refused either that i preferred what i bought. They refused me going with what I bought. This infuriated a lot of noise and here comes in an elderly man who claimed to be the landlord of the shop.

He asked me what was wrong, i told him and he slapped the Boy boy. At this point, i knew I was being scammed but was helpless as well. It was just only me against Alaba boys. The elderly man asked me to calm down that he was there to help me out bla bla bla and requested to see the receipt that was issued to me me. Lo and behold, the subwoofer and the other 3 small speakers was not included in the receipt. They only wrote the engine/DVD they claimed doesn't use nepa light and even boldly put NO WOOFER & NO SPEAKERS. (indirect or indirectly, i only paid 25k for just the DVD player )

The truth was, i never saw these errors before the arrival of the elderly man. he pointed out the errors and finally told me they don't refund money in ALABA that it was all a trick and the trick was for me to pay any amount cos the sound system i bought was more than 25k that i would have to add more money for me to go with it. I insisted i don't have more money to add and they insisted i take a Chinese product. I no gree.

To cut it short, i finally found out the elderly man was part of them. His job was to distract and calm their victim down. At the end of it all, i only got the subwoofer and 3 small speakers. The ENGINE/DVD was not given to me.

This was my sad experience today in the hands of some heartless Nigerians.

That is the face of the SHOP OWNER. TRUE CALLER shows his name as BEN.

acunnon, do you know this man?
They didn't defraud you brother...
The price of the thing you bought is the initial price they told you.
But because of your big eye and lack of money, they collected the one they see hoping to collect the Ballance of give you the one that is sold for 25k... cheesy
Re: How I Was Defrauded At Alaba International Market Today. by Nobody: 6:18pm On Sep 02, 2020
They also tried to duped me 2 years ago.But I outsmart them.On my way to Alaba,one of the hustler waylaid me and persuaded me to follow him to a shop where I would get a good tokumbo LCD tv.I followed him to a shop where I met the real owner.After bargaining for a 32inch LCD for #15k.The owner initially told me it was #20k before I beat the price down.
After testing it and and I was satisfied He wrote a receipt for me and asked an aboki to helped me carry it to where I don't know.I settled the other hustler that took me to the shop not knowing he is a criminal in disguise.As I was following the aboki guy behind he was taking me to a different direction that I didn't know.So I held the tv and told him to hand it over to me that I would carry it by myself.See me see aboki.The man no gree.As I held the tv firmly in public and I was shouting at him, another tout who was not present at the shop that I bought my tv came with my money say him no sell again.He stretched his hand to give me my money,so I told him to count it first.As he counted it #500 was short.So I told him to complete the money before I would allow the aboki guy to go with the tv.As he handed the #500 and counted it it was complete.I took it from him and quickly left the market.Those traders are criminals.

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: How I Was Defrauded At Alaba International Market Today. by nedekid: 6:18pm On Sep 02, 2020
Csami:
Greed, one of the seven deadly sins. My dad bought Samsung tall boy home theater 290k as far back as 2008. My roommate bought our LG home theater, the lowest of them 35k as far back as 2013. Because IPhone 7 is fairly used does not mean you go and price it 10k. Yes, you're negotiating but man, be smart about it. Next time if someone want to sell something to you at half the market value, just turn detective immediately.
So because he negotiated he should be scammed?

6 Likes

Re: How I Was Defrauded At Alaba International Market Today. by money121(m): 6:18pm On Sep 02, 2020
Sorry bro
Re: How I Was Defrauded At Alaba International Market Today. by iducletus: 6:19pm On Sep 02, 2020
Exactly the same thing was done to me and my friend last year. Alaba international is a den of 419

2 Likes

Re: How I Was Defrauded At Alaba International Market Today. by Veiniously: 6:21pm On Sep 02, 2020
A friend of mine when there to repair his TV and they sweet tongue him to get a larger TV he asked for the price they told him to drop his old TV and give them just 20k it was a nice deal he asked them to test the TV and it was not display dey told him to add 2k dey will fix everything making 22k he gave them the money and the seller handed it over to the fixer and the fixer did it and it was OK but he noticed on the screen was a OK sign with the leg of the k running from the reft down side to the right and he told the fixer to remove it the fixer told him he was to get a liquid used for it and it's 500# he paid and the fixer removed the OK sign with its long leg behold the long ok sign leg was all a dead pixel (meaning its a line of not working black dot) this time my guy was angry and called the seller to take it back and return the money but the seller told him that his TV has been sold and if he refund the money he can't bring the TV which has been sold right there as they where talking to army men came one lookers very angry and was complaining about a bad device been sold to him and was ready to beat shit out of the seller guess what they gave him a mouth watering offer and behold he was as calm as a tortoise and b4 you know it they went in to discuss and came out smiling my friend just took the large TV angrily and later sold it to me for 18k with the long line below

1 Like

Re: How I Was Defrauded At Alaba International Market Today. by t00dugged(f): 6:21pm On Sep 02, 2020
Rule number one to survive in Nigeria ,never trust any seller,not even satchet water seller.

5 Likes

Re: How I Was Defrauded At Alaba International Market Today. by Balo7leke: 6:22pm On Sep 02, 2020
You could have informed police. instead of you loose all and they have all your hard earned money. You will bribe police with 5k and they will collect your money for you and them will still pay for bail.
Re: How I Was Defrauded At Alaba International Market Today. by majamajic(m): 6:22pm On Sep 02, 2020
mabeni:
Dear MODERATORS, please move this to the front page. You could be saving another victim from the same mistake i made.
Thanks.

U for carry the DVD , gen or NEPA got no difference and nothing to do with the engine of the DVD
Re: How I Was Defrauded At Alaba International Market Today. by Merimental(m): 6:23pm On Sep 02, 2020
UDUJ:
First time I am hearing of a DVD drive that only works with generator and not Nepa undecided

walahi. e surprise me. even fake charger no dey select like dis

1 Like

Re: How I Was Defrauded At Alaba International Market Today. by KingAzubuike(f): 6:23pm On Sep 02, 2020
Ojo barracks no far now. Just politely walk up to a lance coporal or private sef. He will help you mobilize his colleagues if they scammed you hundreds of thousands and u promise am a big share. If you promise am small money, he will follow you alone. Anyways dem no burn the scammer well make e no vomit your naira. Those guys fear soldiers coz those khaki boys can do and undo. Once they start their madness nobody can stop them.

3 Likes

Re: How I Was Defrauded At Alaba International Market Today. by duality(m): 6:24pm On Sep 02, 2020
mabeni:
embarassedi went to Alaba international market to buy a set of Tokunbo Home Theatre. Luckily/ unfortunately for me i asked around and i was directed to a shop where i would find my choice. I got to the shop and i specifically told them I want a SAMSUNG Home Theater and the search began. They tested 3 diferrent sets but the last one got my attention and I asked for the price.

The seller (shop owner) told me it was 55k and i negotiated it to 25k and he asked me pay. I requested for his account details but he declined saying he doesn't take transfers. I quickly went to use POS, came back and asked for the SAMSUNG SETS i had priced be tested to avoid foul play. It was tested and i confirmed it. I paid, receipt was issued to me but without going through my receipt, I wrote my name and signed because i never suspected scam.

Now, it was time for me to leave with my purchases and the boy boy told me "the engine/DVD to the home theater i bought does not support or work with electricity but strictly works for only generator ". I asked him to repeat himself and he did. The statement didn't make sense to me. He then suggested he could swap the engine/DVD of the SAMSUNG Home Theater i bought for another one that uses electricity. I sensed foul play and asked him why he didn't tell me these before making payment.

Luckily, he came back to meet us arguing. I narrated what his boy told me about the sound system they sold for me he affirmed to it that the engine/DVD doesn't use electricity. I got confused and demanded for a refund. These guys refused. Insisting I take another DVD...i refused either that i preferred what i bought. They refused me going with what I bought. This infuriated a lot of noise and here comes in an elderly man who claimed to be the landlord of the shop.

He asked me what was wrong, i told him and he slapped the Boy boy. At this point, i knew I was being scammed but was helpless as well. It was just only me against Alaba boys. The elderly man asked me to calm down that he was there to help me out bla bla bla and requested to see the receipt that was issued to me me. Lo and behold, the subwoofer and the other 3 small speakers was not included in the receipt. They only wrote the engine/DVD they claimed doesn't use nepa light and even boldly put NO WOOFER & NO SPEAKERS. (indirect or indirectly, i only paid 25k for just the DVD player )

The truth was, i never saw these errors before the arrival of the elderly man. he pointed out the errors and finally told me they don't refund money in ALABA that it was all a trick and the trick was for me to pay any amount cos the sound system i bought was more than 25k that i would have to add more money for me to go with it. I insisted i don't have more money to add and they insisted i take a Chinese product. I no gree.

To cut it short, i finally found out the elderly man was part of them. His job was to distract and calm their victim down. At the end of it all, i only got the subwoofer and 3 small speakers. The ENGINE/DVD was not given to me.

acunnon, do you know this man?

I experienced same thing about 10 years ago.

I ended up buying a TV set 50% more than the price I would have bought it in spar VI

I also ended up pay 120% more the price that I would have paid for a keyboard, had I bought it at spar VI.

SINCE THAT DAY ON I VOWED NOT TO GO BUY ANYTHING IN ALABA INT MARKET.

I have made post on it on nairaland.

You know what? I'm fine with that decision

3 Likes

Re: How I Was Defrauded At Alaba International Market Today. by Nobody: 6:25pm On Sep 02, 2020
I'll keep saying that Lagosians are dishonest people. Such a terrible place to live. Tueh!
Re: How I Was Defrauded At Alaba International Market Today. by CheedyJ(m): 6:25pm On Sep 02, 2020
NnamdiN:
next time in alaba, do not listen to anyone standing by the roadside. Theyre all hustlers without shops.
Enter inside the market and even at that, do not pay until they've packaged and tested everything you asked for.
Also try to have someone in any market you're unfamiliar with. I cannot for any reason, go to any market in lagos without contacting someone who's on ground there and familiar with the environment.
You were greedy, which samsung home theater will you get for 25k? Even if na 10th hand?
Why are we like this in this country , why do we always reason with our Anus? Even if d buyer negotiated d device for #10k , d worst d seller can do is not to sell not to scam him of his hard earned money.. there’s nothing like greed here, it’s market negotiations

4 Likes

Re: How I Was Defrauded At Alaba International Market Today. by cocolacec(m): 6:26pm On Sep 02, 2020
donproject:
See Igbos ehn...that's how they will run their republic if given. Experience I had with them in Enugu last week chai, I hate them more with passion. They call it smartness but these people are the reason Nigerians are known worldwide for their corruptions. It runs in their blood....ole, gbewiri, apomolekun jaye, jaguda paali, awon alafowora bi shina rambo.

I won't say much...I was defrauded in that same Alaba by a guy known as Bright in 2016, I swear for him shah but to my disdain, the guy is now in Italy after duping his boss and ran
Stop leaving these criminals for God,deal with them mercilessly if you can deal with a woman who stole pepper in the market.

1 Like

Re: How I Was Defrauded At Alaba International Market Today. by gowonmaharajah(m): 6:27pm On Sep 02, 2020
some Nigerians are just so bad and greedy.And here we are,we won't stop cursing our politicians.are we any better than them?
shiioor

op you sef get fault oo.you wan buy home theatre of 55k for 25k?
dem never scam you finish.anything that is of no value costs lesser
Re: How I Was Defrauded At Alaba International Market Today. by kzubyar(m): 6:27pm On Sep 02, 2020
mabeni:

acunnon, do you know this man? Some year's back they did that to mee
Re: How I Was Defrauded At Alaba International Market Today. by greenguy: 6:28pm On Sep 02, 2020
You will think you're smart until you experience these guys. Anyone can fall victim, anyone, so long you chose to buy tokunbo.

2 Likes

Re: How I Was Defrauded At Alaba International Market Today. by heendrix(m): 6:29pm On Sep 02, 2020
nawa o
Re: How I Was Defrauded At Alaba International Market Today. by BOFA2020: 6:29pm On Sep 02, 2020
Alaba people have been scamming innocent buyers since 1967.Nothing new here. And they too will be blaming govt for thins and that when they are in fact bunch of criminals.

2 Likes

Re: How I Was Defrauded At Alaba International Market Today. by double3(m): 6:29pm On Sep 02, 2020
The did has been done, when next u wanto purchase electronic form Alaba be more vigilant, we have great guys like aucon and online Alaba on this forum to meet ur electronic needs. Tested and trusted to deliver what was paid for.
Re: How I Was Defrauded At Alaba International Market Today. by olumide4785(m): 6:29pm On Sep 02, 2020
Once a victim of this ... bought home theater and the speakers were not included in the reciept

1 Like

Re: How I Was Defrauded At Alaba International Market Today. by MrNipplesLover(m): 6:30pm On Sep 02, 2020
why people buy tokunbo electronic devices still dey surprise me.
annoying part is when u got faulty/fake items and u start complaining.

imagine how this one got played at alaba. shows him be JJC.

this one no fit go Ladipo market be that. u no go carry shishi commot for there.

those thieves, na thunder go faya them for their bad hand work.

2 Likes

Re: How I Was Defrauded At Alaba International Market Today. by majamajic(m): 6:30pm On Sep 02, 2020
Autotech312:

Please face reality and stop being defensive: no apology, IBO's are naturally fraudulent. It runs in the blood.

While growing up I paid landlord in lagos after payment he demanded extra 28k for kitchen cos it was not attached to the house , he didn't tell me until I park in , I told him no , he said if I don't want , he will remove agent and agreement money I paid him and refund balance ( no agent I came directly ) , that he must collect the money , or I forget the agent and agreement fee, and I must come after he rent the house to another person that he has used my money , I paid another 28k
A Yoruba man , so it's in us all

At international airport , I want change $100 , one man told me 31k , another said he will buy 32k , I gave him the $100 , he handed me the 32k , from the other end the money is 32k , turn it and count from another end it's 28k , an hausa person

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How I Was Defrauded At Alaba International Market Today. by dangoteinlaw: 6:31pm On Sep 02, 2020
femi4:
Oh, so you know acunnon and you didn't go through him. You're now calling him out if he know the man.

Computer village/Alaba international is not for novice
acunnon is the biggest thieve here on nairaland. Him and onlinealaba are all together and thats what they do for a living, scamming ppl. I can relate with the op coz so many has fallen victim right in my very own eyes. If you like take 10 soldiers to go and buy there they will still scam you. Ibos are thieves naturally, its in their nature. Thats the training inculcated in them by their parents. I rather buy online on jumia and get scammed than those ibo thieves

11 Likes

Re: How I Was Defrauded At Alaba International Market Today. by nelson7777: 6:32pm On Sep 02, 2020
Buy only Brand new electronics from this young man with years warranty on all products

LG, SYNIX, HP, HISENSE,
OFFICIAL AND AUTHORIZED PARTNER

https://www.nairaland.com/5909207/home-electronics-appliances-sale
Re: How I Was Defrauded At Alaba International Market Today. by malele(m): 6:32pm On Sep 02, 2020
captainking:
I had similar experience.. I went to buy TV for someone in 2017...saw a TV.. Priced and agreed 35k...after testing.. I paid.. Then they told me the TV does not work with antena.. Decoder or DVD..it shows on black and white in these . That it's a satellite TV and shows only coloured on video camera or USB...

Mhen.... I para.. I kolo. Am a calm dude but got the aggression of a raging phoenix when provoked...

After the para... They gave me another TV after testing over 6 TVs which were all defective...

Igbo People especially the alaba guys and onitsha Main market guys are not honest or sincere... They are ruining the igbo spirit of hard work..

And I am igbo... But I hate what these guys do in alaba

U self they chop u , why Dey to u all that was for u to drop the Television and pick a far cheaper one at the price of original one
Re: How I Was Defrauded At Alaba International Market Today. by FGonline: 6:32pm On Sep 02, 2020
nedekid:

Bros put his phone number here along with his picture let Nairalanders home and abroad call and curse him.
These igbo boys in alaba and ladipo are criminals. Most of them are there to defraud. 17years ago I swore to never buy anything from alaba but rather to go to fuani ie LG store at Allen or at worst order from jumia, where I am sure I can get warrantee.
Same with ladipo. A brain box dealer called my mechanic that he had gotten my brainbox for 25k. I told the mechanic to show him I had transfered the money but should not release it Untill we test the ecu. It was tested but did not work. Oya return the money, for where? Till today weeks later I do not have brainbox as it was returned same day, neither do I have my 25k!
hahahaha

1 Like

Re: How I Was Defrauded At Alaba International Market Today. by Minjim: 6:34pm On Sep 02, 2020
2cribz:
In broadday lighht. Hw can u buy home theater for 25k. When i be dey schl the lowest lg home theater branf new as at 2010 was 35k. Dem scam u well. You for just buy online. lol. Say home theater dey no work with light ,na only gen. Nawa o. So if light dey,u go off light turn on your gen. See stupid excuse. My guy avoid tokunbo or buy online, ah wetin.
Alaba boys don show u strong tin

How much do you want him to buy Tokunbo home theatre?

3 Likes

Re: How I Was Defrauded At Alaba International Market Today. by GeneralKoko(m): 6:34pm On Sep 02, 2020
marshalcarter:
Alaba people grin welcome bro

Welcome what??
You're one of the stupid persons that encourage theft in Nigeria
Spits!

2 Likes

Re: How I Was Defrauded At Alaba International Market Today. by akog(m): 6:37pm On Sep 02, 2020
My brother same thing happened to me long long time ago in 2011, when I was a corper serving in Lagos. Learnt my lesson to always read any documents before I sign.

1 Like

Re: How I Was Defrauded At Alaba International Market Today. by Tumbulum: 6:38pm On Sep 02, 2020
JonCleary:

Ibo people will never change their ways...and they wonder why no one likes them lol grin
when did Ben turn to an Igbo name ?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

100 Naira Denomination In Circulation Are Worn Out. Who Else Has Noticed This? / The Value Of CFA To Naira As At Today / Drop Shipping In Nigeria- Experience, Advice And How To

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.