Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,069 members, 7,845,495 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 06:57 PM

State By State Figures Of Inec Voters Registration - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / State By State Figures Of Inec Voters Registration (43887 Views)

Numbers Of Federal Workers By State Of Origin-- Bureau Of Public Service / State By State Figures Of Eligible 2015 Voters As Released By INEC / Inec Voters Registration November 13th To 17th. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: State By State Figures Of Inec Voters Registration by Obiagu1(m): 1:20am On Feb 24, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

Well, from that same 2006 census:

Ethiope West
Sapele
Okpe
Ethiope East
Ughelli North
Ughelli South
Udu
Uvwie

Total: 1,575,738

Which is 38% of the state's total population for the 2006 census. When you add all those Urhobos in Warri, the figure probably jumps 3-5% at least, probably much more (I wouldn't know, somebody from Warri would have to confirm). So I would put the Urhobos in the 40s as far as percentage of Delta state. I don't know about 50% exactly. Remember there are still Itsekiri, Ijaw, and Isoko in Delta state and I think together these groups would probably make up more than just 20% of Delta state. (Once again, I'm no authority on this though.)

I see, if Igbo is 30%, Urhobo 40%, then the rest 30%. It might be correct.
Re: State By State Figures Of Inec Voters Registration by ekubear1: 1:26am On Feb 24, 2011
Obiagu1: So you are saying one out of every five persons in Lagos STATE is Igbo? The entire state, not one or two districts.

Yet nobody ever hears Igbo spoken on the street? There are no major Igbo elected officials? No Igbo districts? Asians are 18% of the state I live in (California) and their impact is felt. I'll walk around and see them speaking Chinese to each other on the street. We have several Chinatowns nearby where the street signs are in Chinese. If I wanted to, I could move to somewhere where I'll only be interacting with Asians.

20% might even be too high for Igbo in Lagos State. How can they be 1/5th of the population and have nothing politically, linguistically, or culturally to show for it?

Regarding Kwara. . . it IS a Yoruba State. How many non-Yoruba speakers have you ever met in your life from Kwara?

Those clamoring for Oya State are primarily folks from Offa area, iirc. Jarus's part of town. Offa has never been a fan of Ilorin political domination.

If it isn't a Yoruba state, then pray tell which ethnic group owns it?
Re: State By State Figures Of Inec Voters Registration by Obiagu1(m): 1:40am On Feb 24, 2011
@ eku_bear,

That's why when I hear some say Igbos want to take over Lagos I'll just laugh. I lived in Lagos, Igbos' main priority is their business and many that wanted to contest were discouraged from doing so. My next door neighbour in the village won House of Rep in Lagos during the botched 4th republic (Abacha era) but didn't contest again. It's purely choice and lack of interest. They'll prefer to go back to their state of origins to contest.

Igbos in Lagos may be more than 30%. Anambrarians in Lagos alone will be 1/4th of Anambra population. About 50% of folks from my town live in Lagos, 30% in Onitsha, 5% in Enugu and the rest in the North and in the village. My town is empty!
You hardly see any family in Enugu that don't have 2/5th of their family members living in Lagos. This is true.

As for Yorubas in Kwara, Kwara is not a Yoruba State and Yoruba can't be more than 50%.
This is the map of Kwara.
Re: State By State Figures Of Inec Voters Registration by Obiagu1(m): 1:45am On Feb 24, 2011
I'll like to add that if you were in Lagos when the Igbos left Lagos during Abiola crisis, you'll notice that Lagos became empty.
Re: State By State Figures Of Inec Voters Registration by Ericology(m): 1:49am On Feb 24, 2011
fstranger3:

You are right, the Hausas hate Ndigbo so much, they had to make up numbers. Yeah, the census estimate of 21% Yoruba population is absolutely wrong. After all, Ibos make 99% of Lagos population, 60% of Ibadan, 50 % of Kano and Kaduna, and guess what, 100% of the SE and SE.

Yeah, Igbos are the true majority, yet held down by the stupidd Hausa-Yoruba-Ijaw Oligarchy. I hate dem Yorubas!

SHAME to all of you, OBJ ruled Nigeria for 8 yrs and there were no Metro line, no free health care, no free education, no 24hr light in yorubaland and all the Alabarus of Alaba market are still dying carrying heavy loads etc, The Hausa Fulani ruled for decades and the north still remains the most backward region in Nigeria with religious infested riots all day, The Igbos too have the worst road networks,  no  federal presence, No region can boast of being better than each other in terms of basic amenities.
U are all here boasting of irrelevant achievements of ruling the country with  nothing to show for it, Millions of yorubas are as poor as millions of Igbos and hausas,  What is actually there to boast of? Sometimes when i read such lines from you guys, i feel like doing the Michael jackson things and turn white leaving all u retrogressive folks behind,  Here in europe where i live,, the president is not even related to me, hes as white as snow while am as blk as night but thru his initiatives, i  have free health care, free education, constant water and light  supply, all the roads in every part of the country are motor able and not just the ones in his region,
Whats their to gloat about Yoruba hausa or igbo president when in the end. the poor remain poor, the rich remain rich and nothing changes in the lives of ordinary citizens?   Shame to all of you again, Now i know why MJ tried to disassociate himself from ur race,
Re: State By State Figures Of Inec Voters Registration by ekubear1: 2:07am On Feb 24, 2011
@Obiagu1: Where do they live then, the Igbo? Three out of every 10 people in Lagos State are Igbo? I'm not even focused on politics. Just language. Any district here in the US that has 30% Mexicans, Spanish is a major language. Why is Igbo not a major language in Lagos?

In Benin Republic, Yoruba are probably 30-40% of the population, yet it is one of the major languages. I met a chick from Cotonou this weekend, mixed Fon/Yoruba, she tells me that the major language there in Cotonou is Yoruba. And I don't even think we are a strict majority there, Fon likely outnumber us.

Regarding Kwara, I went ahead and looked at the census data by LGA. Looks like 72.8% is a better estimate, not 85%:

http://i55.tinypic.com/11vsh3p.png

Perhaps you can do something similar with Rivers (http://www.population.gov.ng/state/riversfinal.pdf) and estimate the Igbo population.

EDIT: As an aside, this is why I've always been against this Oya State stuff. How can we carve out a new state from a state in which Yoruba are a supermajority, where the governor and his family are Egba?  grin Kwara must not be divided.
Re: State By State Figures Of Inec Voters Registration by Obiagu1(m): 2:29am On Feb 24, 2011
Unfortunately, you counted everyone in Ilorin as Yoruba whereas it is where the Hausa/Fulani live, so it is less than 72%.

2ndly, just like Rivers is not an Igbo State, so is Kwara not a Yoruba State.

To do so in Rivers is difficult because of the high mix of Igbos with the Ijaws/Ogonis.
Re: State By State Figures Of Inec Voters Registration by ekubear1: 2:51am On Feb 24, 2011
Obiagu1:

Unfortunately, you counted everyone in Ilorin as Yoruba whereas it is where the Hausa/Fulani live, so it is less than 72%.
Well, I don't have %e breakdowns of what people speak in each LGA. Also, two of those LGAs I classified as Nupe, when in fact Yoruba is the 2nd language in both.

Anyway, might be less (or more) than 72.8%, but certainly not as little as 50%.

To do so in Rivers is difficult because of the high mix of Igbos with the Ijaws/Ogonis.
One could certainly begin estimating. Or where did you get that 70% figure from?
Re: State By State Figures Of Inec Voters Registration by Obiagu1(m): 2:55am On Feb 24, 2011
eku_bear:

Well, I don't have %e breakdowns of what people speak in each LGA. Also, two of those LGAs I classified as Nupe, when in fact Yoruba is the 2nd language in both.

Anyway, might be less (or more) than 72.8%, but certainly not as little as 50%.
One could certainly begin estimating. Or where did you get that 70% figure from?

It was a guess. The next major group, the Ijaw, in former Rivers was carved out as Bayelsa leaving the Igbos as the majority with small Ijaws and Ogonis behind in current Rivers.
Re: State By State Figures Of Inec Voters Registration by ekubear1: 3:03am On Feb 24, 2011
Well, we should then be able to do something similar for Lagos State. If Igbo are 30%+ of Lagos State's population, which of the following LGAs are they more than 30% of?

Re: State By State Figures Of Inec Voters Registration by bkbabe97y(m): 5:11am On Feb 24, 2011
A kid from the 'Stuy, that never left his neighborhood, would also think there was more Blacks in The U.S. . . . until he crosses that bridge into Manhattan!

Foolish Ibos! Always claiming shiyyt, but can never back it up!
Re: State By State Figures Of Inec Voters Registration by fstranger3(m): 5:31am On Feb 24, 2011
eku_bear:

Well, we should then be able to do something similar for Lagos State. If Igbo are 30%+ of Lagos State's population, which of the following LGAs are they more than 30% of?

Did you ever live in Lagos?

Look stop stressing yourself with these internet Igbos.    .    .   the truth is very obvious to the rest of us, and even to those that lived or are living in Lagos.

Igbos arent more than 15% of Lagos population and that's even too generous. From my own experience, I'll put it at 8 - 12%, nothing more, nothing less.
Re: State By State Figures Of Inec Voters Registration by ekubear1: 5:34am On Feb 24, 2011
^-- I'm not stressing myself. This is purely amusement for me. I enjoy bringing enlightenment to the masses  wink
Re: State By State Figures Of Inec Voters Registration by dayokanu(m): 6:51am On Feb 24, 2011
Obiagu1:

What is the language of communication in Ilorin?

I know PH is pidgin and Ilorin is Yoruba
Re: State By State Figures Of Inec Voters Registration by Abagworo(m): 8:05am On Feb 24, 2011
dayokanu:

What is the language of communication in Ilorin?

I know PH is pidgin and Ilorin is Yoruba

Benin is pidgin too and not Edo.Even Warri is also pidgin and not Urhobo or Itsekiri.

Lagos might be more or less than 30% Igbos.Igbos are very much likely to embrace their hosts language or just speak English in public.

I will however do some research using some useful parameters.
Re: State By State Figures Of Inec Voters Registration by dayokanu(m): 8:09am On Feb 24, 2011
Any place where pidgin is the main language of communication must mean there isnt a dominant local language there

I have lived in Ilorin before and hardly met anyone who didnt speak Yoruba

Warri is pidgin because its mixed.
Re: State By State Figures Of Inec Voters Registration by scholes0(m): 12:26pm On Feb 24, 2011
Kwara satate is Overwhemingly Yoruba!!!!, Ask anyone from there, {Anyway above statistics has shown already}
1/4 {25%} Of kogi is Yoruba, {More or less.}
5-10% Of Edo State is Yoruba , {Akoko Edo, and areas bordering Ondo state}
The South- West-Lag is predominantly Yoruba.
Lagops State is around 75% Yoruba, {More or less}

Can someone please do the same for Igbos.??

Mind u, dont include Similar Ethnic groups, Because i didnt do the same for the Yoruba.
Re: State By State Figures Of Inec Voters Registration by fyncorp: 5:16pm On Feb 24, 2011
70% of people living in Lagos and Portharcourt are Ibos.It's a clear fact and we are going to take over the administration of these states(cities) in the nearest future.
Re: State By State Figures Of Inec Voters Registration by fstranger3(m): 5:21pm On Feb 24, 2011
fyncorp:

70% of people living in Lagos and Portharcourt are Ibos.It's a clear fact and we are going to take over the administration of these states(cities) in the nearest future.

I like your optimism

But why not now?

And isnt 70% too conservative, I'd hazard Ibos make 99% of Lagos,No?
Re: State By State Figures Of Inec Voters Registration by fyncorp: 5:36pm On Feb 24, 2011
Ibos are dynamic they switch to the language of the land where they find themselves.Ibos in Lagos speak yoruba better than most yorubas in lagos.And Ibos don't like identifying themselves with their brothers,they will prefer to mingle with other tribes.
I have traveled the North it's an expanse of deserts with sparse population.The voters figure for Kano and Kaduna is questionable.
Re: State By State Figures Of Inec Voters Registration by Beaf: 5:46pm On Feb 24, 2011
scholes0:

Kwara satate is Overwhemingly Yoruba!!!!, Ask anyone from there, {Anyway above statistics has shown already}

Mind u, dont include Similar Ethnic groups, Because i didnt do the same for the Yoruba.

So, Afemai and Igbarra people are now Yoruba? What is wrong with NL people?
There are no Yoruba people in Edo state, except you get your stories from motorparks and beer palours. This constant calling of Midwest people either Igbo or Yoruba has got to stop. I've always heard the rubbish tales from rewires and shoemakers, but NL has been an eye opener.
Re: State By State Figures Of Inec Voters Registration by Abagworo(m): 7:51pm On Feb 24, 2011
Beaf:

There are no Yoruba people in Edo state, except you get your stories from motorparks and beer palours. This constant calling of Midwest people either Igbo or Yoruba has got to stop. I've always heard the rubbish tales from rewires and shoemakers, but NL has been an eye opener.

There are Yorubas in Edo but they are less than 5%.I have personally visited a friend from that area.They claim to have migrated from Owo.They are however mixed in some instances with Afemai.There are even Igbotized Yorubas in Delta State that I know of.They speak Yoruba mixed with Igbo and bare Igbo and Yoruba names.
Re: State By State Figures Of Inec Voters Registration by PhysicsMHD(m): 8:49pm On Feb 24, 2011
scholes0:

The bold is false.

Akoko-Edo is not Yoruba. Please stop making assumptions based on names.

Similarities with Yoruba doesn't amount to being Yoruba.

And with regard to Ondo, it's actually the other way around. There are Edo groups, not merely bordering but in Ondo state and there are also Edos that became Yoruba over time and now bear only slight evidence of their Edo ancestry.
Re: State By State Figures Of Inec Voters Registration by Kilode1: 8:57pm On Feb 24, 2011
Beaf:

I don't think the Igarra or Afemai people can be claimed as Yorubas really.

But there are other communities where the differences are harder to pin point. Especially communities and villages close to Akoko in Ondo/Edo states also those close to Ifon, and Owo and including some Owan villages where you basically have people with Yoruba names like Ogunmola, Ogunyele, Kayode, Kehinde and co.

The language and cultural relationship between Edo folks and Yorubas are some of the closest I've seen in Nigeria.

Off Topic:I'm not sure about this; but i thought they were showing Yoruba and Pidgin news on EBS Benin at a point? I can swear I've seen it before, but not 100% sure now.
Re: State By State Figures Of Inec Voters Registration by PhysicsMHD(m): 9:14pm On Feb 24, 2011
Having a Yoruba name is not evidence of being Yoruba in the ethnic sense. Culturally close, but not ethnically Yoruba.

Yoruba news on EBS Benin? You probably took some shared words as being Yoruba.
Re: State By State Figures Of Inec Voters Registration by TewMuch: 9:21pm On Feb 24, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

Having a Yoruba name is not evidence of being Yoruba in the ethnic sense. Culturally close, but not ethnically Yoruba.

Yoruba news on EBS Benin?   You probably took some shared words as being Yoruba.

Akoko- Edo is for the most part Yoruba. Hard for you to believe. Those people have been living there for years, do you think Yomi or Modupe is edo or benin? They bear their Yoruba names to maintain their ethnic identities, obviously. Benin and Edo people will never bear Yoruba names. Living in a place for 100's of years does not all of a sudden make you Edo. Yoruba's just dont shout like Igbo's when they populate a place. They respect the owners of the place.
Re: State By State Figures Of Inec Voters Registration by PhysicsMHD(m): 9:37pm On Feb 24, 2011
TewMuch:

Akoko- Edo is for the most part Yoruba.Hard for you to believe. Those people have been living there for years, that is why they have Yoruba names. Benin and Edo people will never bear Yoruba names. Living in a place for 100's of years does not all of a sudden make you Edo. Yoruba's just dont shout like Igbo's when they populate a place. They respect the owners of the place.

You're just not getting it are you? They are not Yoruba. They are not in Afenifere, not in OPC, etc. etc. etc. because they know who they are. Their languages are not classified with Yoruboid languages by scholars because people who take the time to study them have found that they are not Yoruba.

Merely having Yoruba names doesn't make you ethnically Yoruba. There are so many shared words between Edoid and Yoruboid languages and those Edoid groups on the periphery of the Edoid language group that border Yoruba have even more similarity with Yorubas to the point where they share names. But if you actually look at what kind of names they (Akoko Edo) bear you find that in addition to "Yoruba" names (they might not view those names the same way others do), they have many names that real ethnic Yorubas never bear.

And what's this about Benin and Edo people will never bear "Yoruba" names? Tayo Akpata (Bini), Femi Okun (Bini), Ambrose Folorunsho Alli (Esan), Sophie Oluwole (Bini), etc. etc. It goes on and on.
Re: State By State Figures Of Inec Voters Registration by TewMuch: 9:41pm On Feb 24, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

You're just not getting it are you? They are not Yoruba. They are not in Afenifere, not in OPC, etc. etc. etc. because they know who they are.

Merely having Yoruba names doesn't make you ethnically Yoruba. There are so many shared words between Edoid and Yoruboid languages and those Edoid groups on the periphery of the Edoid language group that border Yoruba have even more similarity with Yorubas to the point where they share names. But if you actually look at what kind of names they (Akoko Edo) bear you find that in addition to "Yoruba" names, they have many names that real ethnic Yorubas never bear.

And what's this about Benin and Edo people will never bear "Yoruba" names? Tayo Akpata (Bini), Femi Okun (Bini), Ambrose Folorunsho Alli (Esan), Sophie Oluwole (Bini), etc. etc. It goes on and on.

Says you. what does oluwole mean in Bini, translate all these names in bini for us.lol. IF they are not ethnically Yoruba why do they keep giving generation after generation Yoruba names? No matter how you try to explain it away, naming has a lot to do with culture, tradition and ethnicity. Dont be scared, they are not threatening you in anyway. Yoruba and Edo have coexisted for 100's of years.
Re: State By State Figures Of Inec Voters Registration by PhysicsMHD(m): 9:45pm On Feb 24, 2011
TewMuch:

Says you. what does oluwole mean in Bini, translate all these names in bini for us.lol.

Did I say it meant anything in Bini?

Sophie Oluwole is an Edo woman from Ondo state. Her parents gave her a Yoruba name and gave her siblings Edo names.

Akoko-Edo people giving themselves Yoruba names doesn't even mean that they're actually in the same group as the Yoruba groups that are really classified as Yoruba.
Re: State By State Figures Of Inec Voters Registration by TewMuch: 9:48pm On Feb 24, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

Did I say it meant anything in Bini?

Sophie Oluwole is an Edo woman from Ondo state. Her parents gave her a Yoruba name and gave her siblings Edo names.

Akoko-Edo people giving themselves Yoruba names doesn't even mean that they're actually in the same group as the Yoruba groups that are really classified as Yoruba.

So i can say being called Osas doesnt ethnically make you Edo or Bini? Doesnt make sense at all. Sophie's last name still remains Oluwole, doesnt it? If it was an isolated case where someone is named after a friend, then i understand. But a case where people grouped together in one area have the same naming patterns, then you should understand the difference. It is too common in Akoko-edo, and Yoruba's always maintain an aspect of their cultural identity. Your name is your identity and it points to your origin especially in a country of tribes that have specific names. Dont try to trip over yourself. Fact is they are Yoruba descendants and ethnically Yoruba. And there is really no such thing as Edo. If they are not Yoruba then what are they? Bini? Afemai? Estako? Esan? They must belong to an existing group. If you can tell me the group they belong to, then you have an argument.
Re: State By State Figures Of Inec Voters Registration by PhysicsMHD(m): 10:06pm On Feb 24, 2011
TewMuch:

Says you. what does oluwole mean in Bini, translate all these names in bini for us.lol. IF they are not ethnically Yoruba why do they keep giving generation after generation Yoruba names? No matter how you try to explain it  away, naming has a lot to do with culture, tradition and ethnicity. Dont be scared, they are not threatening you in anyway. Yoruba and Edo have coexisted for 100's of years.

Scared of what? I'm just tired of all the claiming. As I said before, they probably don't view giving these names as a proclamation of Yoruba ethnic identity the way you want to interpret it. They still proudly identify as their specific ethnic group. You're taking cultural similarity to mean ethnicity.

Igarra in Akoko-Edo, for example, very reasonably claim descent from Igalas and the Idah kingdom that was nearby them and have links across states into Kogi. But Igala is a linguistically close language to Yoruba and at one time it was even classified as one of the "Yoruboid" languages! So when these Igarra people start naming themselves Igarra/Igala names, are you going to claim they're naming themselves Yoruba names to proclaim their Yorubaness?  undecided Igarra and Igala are distinct from Yoruba, considering the way ethnic groups are currently classified, so don't take their similarity with Yoruba as evidence of descent from you guys or concoct stories of them moving in from Ife or Oyo or some place hundreds of years ago when such an event never happened. That's all I want to clarify.  

And yes, Yoruba and Edo have coexisted for 100's of years, but  nevertheless, Olusegun Aganga is not Yoruba, Dele Momodu is not Yoruba, Dele Giwa was not Yoruba, etc., etc., it goes on and on, and Afemai in general are not Yoruba. If you don't point out the false claiming, then people will just start taking cultural appropriation or cultural fusion with ethnic identity.
Re: State By State Figures Of Inec Voters Registration by PhysicsMHD(m): 10:13pm On Feb 24, 2011
TewMuch:

So i can say being called Osas doesnt ethnically make you Edo or Bini? Doesnt make sense at all. Sophie's last name still remains Oluwole, doesnt it? If it was an isolated case where someone is named after a friend, then i understand. But a case where people grouped together in one area have the same naming patterns, then you should understand the difference. It is too common in Akoko-edo, and Yoruba's always maintain an aspect of their cultural identity. Your name is your identity and it points to your origin especially in a country of tribes that have specific names. Dont try to trip over yourself. Fact is they are Yoruba descendants and ethnically Yoruba. And there is really no such thing as Edo. If they are not Yoruba then what are they? Bini? Afemai? Estako? Esan? They must belong to an existing group. If you can tell me the group they belong to, then you have an argument.

What are you talking about? Does the name Osewa indicate Yoruba descent or Edo descent?

Sophie's last name was given to her by her parents because they were culturally Yorubafied Ondo state people. It was not her parents' last name.

And in Akoko-Edo the specific ethnic groups are not "Yoruba descendants" Akoko-Edo is a blanket ethnic term to group together the groups there and the LGA was named after the ethnic term.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-509304.0.html#msg6712837

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-509304.32.html#msg6717915

^^^^

Educate yourself. Those people in Edo state with Yoruba names that aren't actual Yorubas don't claim it because they know who they are. Taking cultural similarity and appropriation to mean descent is simply incorrect.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

APC Asks 19 Ekiti Lawmakers To Return / Zainab, Buba Galadima Daughter Works For The Presidency (Photos) / Official Portrait Of Vp-elect, Osinbajo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.