Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,071 members, 7,818,201 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:12 AM

Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision (25366 Views)

Kalabari Traditional Wedding Culture in Rivers State / Supreme Court’s Decision On Female Inheritance Divides Igbos / China People And Culture In Anambra (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by SaintLucia: 9:35am On Sep 08, 2020
Igbo should be grateful to CJ Tanko for bringing civilization to their outdated culture grin How can a daughter not have a say in her father died hard sweat just because of an outdated culture inherited from the ancient Maya tribe of ancient Latin America grin

7 Likes

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by topboss: 9:36am On Sep 08, 2020
Beremx:
I disagree with you on this Dede m. If my father is a very rich man with properties scattered all over Nigeria, certainly I will inherit at least a property. But since he has a duplex in the village and a duplex in Lagos. I cannot inherit. My brothers have it all grin grin

IF YOU WERE A YORUBA WOMAN, YES.

IN IGBO LAND, WOMEN DO NOT INHERIT PROPERTIES FROM THEIR FATHER, THAT IS AN ABOMINANTION.

THE ONLY WOMAN TO INHERIT FROM YOUR FATHER WILL BE YOUR MOTHER AND DAT WILL NEVER CHANGE.

YOUR FATHER CAN WILL ONE OF HIS PROPERTIES TO YOU AS A GIFT AND ALSO HE CAN GIVE YOU THINGS ON YOUR WEDDING DAY AS SETTLEMENT.

2 Likes

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by PearlStreet(m): 9:37am On Sep 08, 2020
fergie001:

So many things you don't understand.
You are not Igbo, so you won't understand.

Did you read that judgement? There were Igbo Supreme Court Justices that were on that panel. Do you think you know more about Igbo culture than them?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by afroxyz: 9:37am On Sep 08, 2020
PearlStreet:

You are a monument to stupidity and a walking definition of idiocy. You lack basic knowledge of what the Courts usually order in cases of disputed estates and you're here making a fool of your abjectly worthless self.

Keep.dancing naked in the market square. Las Las na your relatives go shame, no be me.

2 Likes

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by Beremx(f): 9:37am On Sep 08, 2020
The Supreme Court should also look into hungry and greedy uncles and family members who drag properties with deceased’s wife and children.

4 Likes

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by fergie001: 9:37am On Sep 08, 2020
Beremx:
I disagree with you on this Dede m. If my father is a very rich man with properties scattered all over Nigeria, certainly I will inherit at least a property. But since he has a duplex in the village and a duplex in Lagos. I cannot inherit. My brothers have it all grin grin
Excellent.....nwanyi oma.
Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by PearlStreet(m): 9:37am On Sep 08, 2020
Beremx:

Look at this one too. Such a shame. Subjugated mentality.

2 Likes

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by olaolaking: 9:38am On Sep 08, 2020
Dedetwo:

The so-called Supreme court of Nigeria proved to me that everything which comes out of the shithole in Nigeria is idiotic. No court of any nation on earth will want to adjudicate the vices in culture and tradition of the people unless when human life is paramount. The vices in the culture and tradition of people are usually handled by the people with increase level of development. No woman in Igbo land would be allowed to carry her father's house to her husband's home.
Any culture that deprives people of their rights is nonsense.
That is the stand of the court.

4 Likes

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by baby124: 9:38am On Sep 08, 2020
Beremx:
Rich and educated Igbo men will properties and money to their daughters. I have seen many of such. My uncle’s wife inherited a building and money from her late dad.
The problem is the uneducated wolves around such men, in the name of family are waiting to pounce on the properties once the man dies. Will or not, if his wife nor get craze. The uneducated and greedy are far more than the educated and fair. The culture is to their advantage so they will defend it.

2 Likes

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by Peacemaker5129(f): 9:39am On Sep 08, 2020
Ab0bi:
It's futile....Igbos won't implement it.
what if you gave birth to only girls after your death they should suffer because they are girls?

1 Like

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by PearlStreet(m): 9:39am On Sep 08, 2020
Beremx:
The Supreme Court should also look into hungry and greedy uncles and family members who drag properties with deceased’s wife and children.

Isn't that also Igbo culture? If they give a judgement against this, people like you would jump up to justify that nonsense as igbo culture.

2 Likes

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by afroxyz: 9:39am On Sep 08, 2020
topboss:

IN IGBO LAND, WOMEN DO NOT INHERIT PROPERTIES FROM THEIR FATHER THAT IS AN ABOMINANTION.

THE ONLY WOMAN TO INHERIT FROM YOUR FATHER WILL BE YOUR MOTHER AND DAT WILL NEVER CHANGE.

YOUR FATHER CAN WILL ONE OF HIS PROPERTIES TO YOU AS A GIFT AND ALSO HE CAN GIVE YOU THINGS ON YOUR WEDDING DAY AS SETTLEMENT.

This is a lie. Go and read about female husbands of Ohafia or study the Ohafia Igbo. Women in Igbo land have always been regarded. That's why you would see an Igbo man in tatters, yet his wife woukd be wearing the beat wrappers and clothes.

2 Likes

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by PearlStreet(m): 9:39am On Sep 08, 2020
afroxyz:

Keep.dancing naked in the market square. Las Las na your relatives go shame, no be me.

You are mistaking me for your father.

2 Likes

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by topboss: 9:39am On Sep 08, 2020
Beremx:

SUPREME COURT CANNOT CHANGE IGBO CUSTOMARY LAW.

UNLESS IGBO PEOPLE THEMSELVES REFORM OUR CUSTOMARY LAW, WHICH IS RECOGNISED BY THE NIGERIAN CONSTITUTION AND INDEPENDENT.

THE SUPEREME COURT UNTIL THEN CAN MAKE CASE BY CASE JUDGEMENT WHICH MAY NOT BE CONSISTENT.

7 Likes

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by Beremx(f): 9:40am On Sep 08, 2020
topboss:

IN IGBO LAND, WOMEN DO NOT INHERIT PROPERTIES FROM THEIR FATHER THAT IS AN ABOMINANTION.

please what’s the difference between the two? To inherit and to will? I am not understanding your argument nwoke m.

4 Likes

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by fergie001: 9:40am On Sep 08, 2020
PearlStreet:
Did you read that judgement? There were Igbo Supreme Court Justices that were on that panel. Do you think you know more about Igbo culture than them?
That you are not Igbo and desperate to toe a narrative is funny.

I have heard you. It is noted. If and when they start filing the cases, we will then know what to do.

1 Like

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by udy4real(m): 9:41am On Sep 08, 2020
Kole werk
Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by emmanuelewumi(m): 9:41am On Sep 08, 2020
Dedetwo:

The only Will you can write which should be meant for your lovely daughters is to get married by a good man and into a good family. Whatever property you accrued why alive remains in your father's house or compound.

So if I have four properties in Lagos, I have 3 children. Two girls and a boy.

My daughters won't get a property each and my son will get 2 properties as written in my will.
Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by Nobody: 9:41am On Sep 08, 2020
The President, Ohanaeze in Anambra State, Chief Damian Okeke-Ogene, said bequeathing property to a man’s daughter was not alien to Ndigbo, and as such, the Supreme Court judgment should not be seen as strange or a surprise to Igbo people.
He said, “Most fathers buy cars, build houses and so on for their daughters upon marriage. So, it’s wrong to say that the Igbo don’t give their daughters their property..

“If a daughter is not married or is divorced, our custom and tradition require the father to provide accommodation for her in his house. If a man has a commercial property, say a house, he can give a part of it to his daughter to manage and earn money from it accordingly. All these are done in Igboland. So, it’s wrong to say that a girl child in Igboland is disinherited from her father’s property.
“But I must say that not everything can be shared between the male and female children of a man.
“Ancestral property is exclusive to male children of a man and our daughters know that very well.”.

He added that it would be an absurdity and even an abomination for a man to bequeath such ancestral property to his daughters.
“Who will ever think of a man to give his Obi (ancestral home/house) to a daughter, who may be married to an Ibadan man in the name of equity or law? That’s unthinkable. Therefore, the Supreme Court judgment has limitations or exclusions like any other law, but it is not totally strange to us, the Igbo,” Okeke-Ogene stated.

Okeke Ogene summarised it well.

Case closed... Nothing to add.

Other unnecessary comments are just waste of time.

10 Likes

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by Denique(f): 9:42am On Sep 08, 2020
afroxyz:

Are you Igbo? Because I doubt you would make such baseless comments. Go and read about Ohafia where lineage and inheritance is traced through the woman and not the man. There are other societies like that in Igbo land. If you even go to your mother's side, you would be allocated land to farm and other oeiviledgea. Igbo women were the first to organize themselves as a social group as seen in the Aba women riot of 1929. Stop exposing tour ignorance and study. You can't know these things by watching BB naija and nollywood

Such ignorance! And yes, she's Igbo!! Now, you are going to tell me what I put up there is not true because of the 1929 riot?

1 Like

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by Originalsly: 9:42am On Sep 08, 2020
Temitopemo6e6:

I totally support this. This is what drives most men
with daughters to go and look for women who would bear them male children.Women are no less then men. I support this That's nice.. every child deserves the best..

HBD to me

What next?.... this is setting a precedent... the gates are now open to do away with all cultural practices. What would be left of culture next 3 generations? Don't ever believe it is an Igbo matter.... the courts will tear away other cultures as well..... e.g ... equal rights.... a Muslim woman filing to.have the rights to worship alongside men..... a man filing the right to enter and use the womens washroom. Would you be saying the same?.... men rushing in to use the same washroom that your wife just entered?... or I guess that's different?

The court is opening a can of worms.

1 Like

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by selemempe: 9:43am On Sep 08, 2020
helinues:
Ndi developers still dragging about female inheritance in 21st century..

Truly, civilization came late to the region
the only place this is causing a fuss is on the pages of Afonja newspapers. We have not heard of any issues on the streets of Igbo. Afonjas are always trying to put Igbos down. Keep catching cruise with inconsequential news

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by topboss: 9:43am On Sep 08, 2020
[s]
afroxyz:

This is a lie. Go and read about female husbands of Ohafia or study the Ohafia Igbo. Women in Igbo land have always been regarded. That's why you would see an Igbo man in tatters, yet his wife woukd be wearing the beat wrappers and clothes.
[/s]

THE ONLY DUTY AN IGBO MAN OWE TO HIS DAUGHTER IS TO LOVE HER, CARE FOR HER, PROVIDE FOR HER, PROTECT HER AND TRAIN HER TO REACH ARE FULLEST POTENTIAL.

MANY EVEN SEND THEIR DAUGHTER TO STUDY IN UNIVERSITIES ABROAD IN UK, USA, EUROPE.

THIS IS WAT I PERSONALLY OWE MY DAUGHTER, THE OTHER AREA U PEOPLE ARE GOING, IS AN ABOMINATION IN IGBO LAND.

IT IMPLES THAT THE FATHER AND DAUGHTER ARE INCESTIOUS.

IN IGBO LAND, WOMEN INHERIT THEIR HUSBAND PROPERTY AND THAT IS Y WE CALL THEM ORIAKU.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by emoa2002(m): 9:43am On Sep 08, 2020
So the girl child will be ask to contribute for the burial ceremony but will partake in the inheritance, c'mon that's not fair. My opinion though.
Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by fergie001: 9:43am On Sep 08, 2020
Beremx:
please what’s the difference between the two? To inherit and to will? I am not understanding your argument nwoke m.
To inherit means that the man died without writing a will. So, when sharing his properties whether the girl child is expected to inherit something.

To will means that before the man died, he put it in writing that this girl child should get A B C.

In most parts of Igbo-land, specifically in my part......Without a will..the girl-child benefits nothing, unless there is plenty to go round.

Infact, in my part..the first son automatically takes over his father's house. If their lands are sold, he takes lion share.

Whatever is given to the girl-child, is a gift and not inheritance.

1 Like

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by Openbusiness: 9:44am On Sep 08, 2020
Ok
Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by lastclaire4(f): 9:44am On Sep 08, 2020
topboss:

IN IGBO LAND, WOMEN DO NOT INHERIT PROPERTIES FROM THEIR FATHER, THAT IS AN ABOMINANTION.

It shows how greedy people from that region are. Yet you milk your daughters' husbands when they come for wedding. Some families even made their life deal from their son-in-law. Then when they die, the daughter husband will still perform.

5 Likes

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by psalms37(f): 9:45am On Sep 08, 2020
Fathers should do well by writing a will before they die listing all their children as beneficiaries. As for those who say that a woman will cause strife amongst her siblings if she inherits from her own father's will, what exactly is the precedent? I am Yoruba and females inherit under our laws and except for hungry family members, fights rarely occurs between siblings. Worst case if the children are unable to divide the assets, they sell it all and share the money. My mum is the first child of her and her only brother happened to be the second to last, they sold off his assets when he died and shared the money EQUALLY amongst themselves. I don't why people stress themselves sha,

1 Like

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by topboss: 9:45am On Sep 08, 2020
Y SG
fergie001:

To inherit means that the man died without writing a will. So, when sharing his properties whether the girl child is expected to inherit something.

To will means that before the man died, he put it in writing that this girl child should get A B C.

In most parts of Igbo-land, specifically in my part......Without a will..the girl-child benefits nothing, unless there is plenty to go round.

Infact, in my part..the first son automatically takes over his father's house. If their lands are sold, he takes lion share.

Whatever is given to the girl-child, is a gift and not inheritance.

DAT IS HOW IT IS ALL OVER IGBOLAND.

U ARE CORRECT.

EVEN IN WILL IT IS NOT CALLED INHERITENCE BUT GIFT.

2 Likes

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by Ngozioma(m): 9:47am On Sep 08, 2020
grin grin grin We Yoruba people cannot do without Igbo, they are handsome, beautiful, and we want to be like them. Igbos are awesome, fantastic, name them.

Igbo Amaka
wink

7 Likes

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by fergie001: 9:48am On Sep 08, 2020
topboss:
Y SG
DAT IS HOW IT IS ALL OVER IGBOLAND.

U ARE CORRECT.

EVEN IN WILL IT IS NOT CALLED INHERITENCE BUT GIFT.
Thank you nna m.

1 Like

Re: Female Inheritance: Supreme Court, Igbo Culture In Head-on Collision by topboss: 9:48am On Sep 08, 2020
[s]
lastclaire4:

It shows how greedy people from that region are. Yet you milk your daughters' husbands when they come for wedding. Some families even made their life deal from their son-in-law. Then when they die, the daughter husband will still perform.
[/s]

A LION DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH THE OPINIONS OF A SHEEP.

JUST STAY IN YOUR LANE AND TALK ABOUT THINGS THAT CONCERN YOU AND YOU KNOW.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Photos From The 2017 Osun Osogbo Festival / Coronation Of The Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi, Now Underway – LIVE UPDATES / Two ‘Next-In-Lines’ That Never Became Olubadan Of Ibadan In Recent Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.