Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,138 members, 7,821,890 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:58 PM

Are Atheists Generally Smarter Than Non Atheist People? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Are Atheists Generally Smarter Than Non Atheist People? (1716 Views)

True Or False : Men Don't Generally Like Women With Tattoos. / My Experience As An Atheist In The Dating World. / How I Learnt My Lessons In Hard Way,men Are Generally Wicked.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Atheists Generally Smarter Than Non Atheist People? by kelvinkelvinkk(m): 5:58pm On Sep 11, 2020
Atheists are MORE intelligent than religious people because they rely on facts rather than intuition, research claims

Religious people are not as smart as atheists, according to new research.

Scientists claim believers have diminished intelligence because they rely on intuition and not facts.
The strength of religious conviction is inversely linked with intellect, researchers found.
Researchers led by Imperial College London surveyed more than 63,000 participants on online tasks that measured planning, reasoning, attention and memory.

Participants indicated whether they were atheist, religious or agnostic and completed a 30-minute set of 12 cognitive tasks.

Scientists found that the effect of religiosity was robust regardless of people's age, education and country of origin.

Agnostics are smarter than believers but less intelligent than atheists, researchers found.
Graham Lawton, author of the new book 'How to be Human,' suggests that as our lives become more stable, society could become 'godless' as our need for religion fades away.

When children encounter religion, Mr Lawson argues they find the explanations it offers intuitively appealing and believable - making them born believers - but this instinct is drummed out of them by education.

The author claimed the reason people continue to be believe it because 'they haven't thought that hard about it'.

However, although the future will be increasingly secular, humans will never totally lose the god instinct.

As long as existential uncertainty exists Mr Lawton claims religion will not disappear completely - even though he believes some of the things in the bible are 'just crazy'.

People cling onto moral guidance and existential comfort and they don't let go of them easily, he said.

His comments are based on the cognitive theory of religion which states that belief is a by-product of our cognitive equipment.

Our brain is primed to see meaning everywhere, which helps us make sense of random events.

Children like the idea that there is order and design in the world and it is actually useful as it allows them to reason about possible threats that we cannot see, for example a predator lurking in a nearby bush.

According to Mr Lawton, although this is an evolutionary advantage, it also facilitates the build-up of delusional belief and a ‘feeling of rightness’.

'To be an actual atheist and reject all religious ideas is not humanly possible - we'll still fill that hole with something’, said Mr Lawton.

As long as existential uncertainty exists, Mr Lawton claims religion will not disappear completely.

'It is well established that religiosity correlates inversely with intelligence', researchers led by Dr Richard Daws, wrote in the paper published in Frontiers in Psychology.

'A prominent hypothesis states that this correlation reflects behavioural biases toward intuitive problem solving, which causes errors when intuition conflicts with reasoning.'
Religious people have a lower IQ as a result of bad performance on tasks where intuition and logic are at odds with one another, writes the Independent.

They found in certain tasks 'atheists outperform the most dogmatic religious group by a substantial margin' but in other tasks this was not the case.

Researchers believe the disparity is due to behavioural biases rather than impaired general intelligence.

'These findings provide evidence in support of the hypothesis that the religiosity effect relates to conflict [between reasoning and intuition] as opposed to reasoning ability or intelligence more generally,' they wrote.

Earlier this month a survey revealed that one in four non-believers pray when confronted by tough times - despite insisting they are not religious.

For atheists and agnostics, personal crisis or tragedy is the most common reason for them to resort to prayer, with a quarter admitting they pray for comfort or to feel less lonely.

More than half of all adults in the UK pray regularly despite only one in three praying in a place of worship, according to a poll carried out by ComRes on behalf of the Christian aid agency, Tearfund.

A third of people pray in the morning or before they go to sleep. People are also increasingly likely to solicit support from God while cooking or exercising.

And one in five pray while doing household chores while 15 per cent pray while they commute.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-5325751/amp/Religious-people-smart-atheists.html

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Atheists Generally Smarter Than Non Atheist People? by rentAcock(m): 6:00pm On Sep 11, 2020
Not necessarily. Contrarians are generally perceived to be smart because they go against the general populace. They are antagonists of group think and the herd mentality, but that doesn't necessarily make them smart.

5 Likes

Re: Are Atheists Generally Smarter Than Non Atheist People? by Madibah(m): 6:04pm On Sep 11, 2020
Religious people are the most foolish one's who can be easily brainwashed..
Fvck it men
Religion as caused more problem in the world than any other thing..
Religious people tend to believe nothing is normal
Imagine taking a sick person to the pastor instead of hospital

Atheist are more brilliant ..
I believe in nothing and I'm proud of it
I have to chop my cus life is good

14 Likes

Re: Are Atheists Generally Smarter Than Non Atheist People? by Panshow(m): 6:05pm On Sep 11, 2020
Did God exist?
Christians don't know. Atheist don't know. It's legit to say that we all don't know. Therefore, I think agnostics are more smarter. Because, truth be told, we all don't know.

8 Likes

Re: Are Atheists Generally Smarter Than Non Atheist People? by kelvinkelvinkk(m): 6:09pm On Sep 11, 2020
Panshow:
Did God exist?
Christians don't know. Atheist don't know. It's legit to say that we all don't know. Therefore, I think agnostics are more smarter. Because, truth be told, we all don't know.

Actually most atheist are agnostic atheist.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Atheists Generally Smarter Than Non Atheist People? by Chrisemeka1(m): 6:19pm On Sep 11, 2020
This is confirming the famous quote that religion is the opium of the masses.
look around nigeria, religious leaders are scamming, fellows are doing terrible things.
Just this week, someone wants to buy a laptop from me at computer village. He asked for price and i gave me the very best in the market. Mr. Man started saying "do you know that i am an anointed man of God. Do you know that if I bless you, your phone will never rest due to customers calling for your services. Why don't you take this #xyz naira and let God's anointed bless you ?" i told Mr. Man to tell that to ikeja electric when they come to disconnect in his house.

11 Likes

Re: Are Atheists Generally Smarter Than Non Atheist People? by Panshow(m): 6:20pm On Sep 11, 2020
kelvinkelvinkk:

True! I think we're all over complicating things in this universe. There's nothing wrong with simply just saying that we all don't know about the existence of a deity, because that's the real truth.

1 Like

Re: Are Atheists Generally Smarter Than Non Atheist People? by Bluezy13(m): 6:30pm On Sep 11, 2020
Panshow:
Did God exist?

We all don't know but that some people do not own up doesn't mean they are not smart. They simply refuse to own it.
Just like you know something but you deny knowledge of it.
The man up there made a point by saying everyone would agree but because they have not thought hard about it.
Re: Are Atheists Generally Smarter Than Non Atheist People? by Bluezy13(m): 6:31pm On Sep 11, 2020
kelvinkelvinkk:

I would rather you said Gnostic atheists

1 Like

Re: Are Atheists Generally Smarter Than Non Atheist People? by Nobody: 6:37pm On Sep 11, 2020
Apparently atheist think they are smarter than religious people in this country that nothing works
Re: Are Atheists Generally Smarter Than Non Atheist People? by Panshow(m): 6:38pm On Sep 11, 2020
Bluezy13:

We all don't know but that some people do not own up doesn't mean they are not smart. They simply refuse to own it.
Just like you know something but you deny knowledge of it.
The man up there made a point by saying everyone would agree but because they have both thought hard about it.
Honestly, you didn't lie.

1 Like

Re: Are Atheists Generally Smarter Than Non Atheist People? by MJBOLT: 6:54pm On Sep 11, 2020
you cannot be intelligent and be religious.

4 Likes

Re: Are Atheists Generally Smarter Than Non Atheist People? by Bluezy13(m): 7:26pm On Sep 11, 2020
MJBOLT:

You can be intelligent and religious but not wise and religious.
And intelligent man is knowledgeable while a wise man is realistic.
Re: Are Atheists Generally Smarter Than Non Atheist People? by MJBOLT: 7:30pm On Sep 11, 2020
you cannot be intelligent and religious,religious people do not seek knowledge,all they know is what their holy book or spiritual elder tell them,anything outside of that is a lie to them.if you doubt me,check FP.

Bluezy13:

You can be intelligent and religious but not wise and religious.
And intelligent man is knowledgeable while a wise man is realistic.

4 Likes

Re: Are Atheists Generally Smarter Than Non Atheist People? by placeofallure(f): 7:37pm On Sep 11, 2020
Choose from these options:
A. Always true
B. Often true but not always true
C. Never true
D. It is impossible to say how true it is.
E. All of the above

1 Like

Re: Are Atheists Generally Smarter Than Non Atheist People? by ciro11(m): 7:38pm On Sep 11, 2020
This man above is just kidding himself, Atheist think not believing in God makes them look smart and intelligent but in reality it only makes them look stupid. If they are really confident that there is no God then why don't they provide credible answers to important questions that has long been worrying the minds of people like:
1. Where do we come from?
2. Why do we die?
3. What actually happens to us when we die?
4.what is life? since the body alone or the brain alone is not enough to keep one alive, it means there's a force we don't understand which keeps the body alive.
5. Why are we here?
6. How come life is so co- ordinated if it sprang forth from mindless chemical reaction that happened over billions of years
7. Why is there no living proof that shows the missing link in evolution?
8. What does the future hold for us?

6 Likes

Re: Are Atheists Generally Smarter Than Non Atheist People? by MJBOLT: 7:51pm On Sep 11, 2020
since atheists dont have the answers to the questions,kindly provide them grin it's time for amusement.

ciro11:
This man above is just kidding himself, Atheist think not believing in God makes them look smart and intelligent but in reality it only makes them look stupid. If they are really confident that there is no God then why don't they provide credible answers to important questions that has long been worrying the minds of people like:
2. Why do we die?
4.what is life? since the body alone or the brain alone is not enough to keep one alive, it means there's a force we don't understand which keeps the body alive.
5. Why are we here?
6. How come life is so co- ordinated if it sprang forth from mindless chemical reaction that happened over billions of years

4 Likes

Re: Are Atheists Generally Smarter Than Non Atheist People? by kelvinkelvinkk(m): 8:27pm On Sep 11, 2020
ciro11:
2. Why do we die?
5. Why are we here?

A comment from a place of complete ignorance.

1 Like

Re: Are Atheists Generally Smarter Than Non Atheist People? by Hed0nist: 8:37pm On Sep 11, 2020
What I know is that many dumb Mofos use atheism as a crutch to seem intellectually superior. Just like how many spineless Mofos use Redpill and Mgtow for validation.

3 Likes

Re: Are Atheists Generally Smarter Than Non Atheist People? by prince985(m): 8:44pm On Sep 11, 2020
ciro11:
2. Why do we die?
5. Why are we here?
You just proved their point bro... wow

2 Likes

Re: Are Atheists Generally Smarter Than Non Atheist People? by ggirl4real: 9:59pm On Sep 11, 2020
I agree with the research.

People that are open-minded are more likely to think and read wider.

Many religious leaders forbid their adherents from reading certain materials because of the perceived effects on their "relationship with God". You don't expect such a follower to be at the same level of knowledge with someone who reads virtually everything of interest WITH AN OPEN MIND, question dogmas and attempts to seek realistic answers to life situations.

IMO, religious extremism limits the mind.

7 Likes

Re: Are Atheists Generally Smarter Than Non Atheist People? by ciro11(m): 10:51pm On Sep 11, 2020
Where do we come from? Gen 1: 26 & 27
2. Why do we die? Gen : 3: 1-6, Rom 5: 12
3. What actually happens to us when we die? Eccl 9:5,6 & 10
4.what is life? since the body alone or the brain alone is not enough to keep one alive, it means there's a force we don't understand which keeps the body alive. Ps 104: 29
5. Why are we here? Psalm 115: 16, Gen 1: 28
6. How come life is so co- ordinated if it sprang forth from mindless chemical reaction that happened over billions of years. ( we have an intelligent creator psalms 100:3)

7. Why is there no living proof that shows the missing link in evolution? Gen 1: 21 - 25
8. What does the future hold for us? Psalm 37:29
Ecclesiastes 1:4. Isaiah 25:8. Isaiah 65: 21 & 22

2 Likes

Re: Are Atheists Generally Smarter Than Non Atheist People? by HomerTimpson: 11:06pm On Sep 11, 2020
What unGodly thread!
Re: Are Atheists Generally Smarter Than Non Atheist People? by hopefulLandlord: 11:22pm On Sep 11, 2020
I disagree with OP. believing in god(s) has next to no effect on how intelligent you are

2 Likes

Re: Are Atheists Generally Smarter Than Non Atheist People? by Eddy0: 12:00am On Sep 12, 2020
rentAcock:
Not necessarily. Contrarians are generally perceived to be smart because they go against the general populace. They are antagonists of group think and the herd mentality, but that doesn't necessarily make them smart.
No one said it necessarily makes them smart.
I could have the most exoteric but ridiculous beliefs and yet obviously won't be perceived Intelligent.
It ain't just because of their contrarian ideas. Atheists,generally,are actually smarter.
Re: Are Atheists Generally Smarter Than Non Atheist People? by Nobody: 12:01am On Sep 12, 2020
ciro11:
4.what is life? since the body alone or the brain alone is not enough to keep one alive, it means there's a force we don't understand which keeps the body alive. Ps 104: 29
6. How come life is so co- ordinated if it sprang forth from mindless chemical reaction that happened over billions of years. ( we have an intelligent creator psalms 100:3)

7. Why is there no living proof that shows the missing link in evolution? Gen 1: 21 - 25

Is that a universal answer to your question? Can it pass for an answer in Saudi Arabia,Iran, China , North Korea, Pakistan, India and even Israel?

If I'm to attempt a question, I'll pick the first.

Where did I come from?

I came from my mother's womb. I reached there as a sperm through semen and fertilized her egg . My lovely mother pushed out on my birthday and I came into this world, a bouncing baby boy.

Now that's an answer because that's where 95% of people from Saudi Arabia,Iran, China , North Korea, Pakistan, India and Israel came from.

To buttress my answer to your first question, have you ever thought about test tube babies who never get to grow up in their mother's womb as foetus?
They still come from sperm and eggs.

Would you agree that God created them in those test tubes and do they have a soul?

2 Likes

Re: Are Atheists Generally Smarter Than Non Atheist People? by Nobody: 12:16am On Sep 12, 2020
ciro11:

I'll further attempt your second.

Why do humans die?

Humans die because they are living things. Death is a basic characteristic of all living things but it is always triggered by something.

A seedling that lacks sunlight, water and carbon(iv)oxide may not live for 3 days, same with a human baby who suffers malnutrition.

Cats, dogs, birds and every living thing dies, humans are like the rest of living things .

2 Likes

Re: Are Atheists Generally Smarter Than Non Atheist People? by ciro11(m): 12:21am On Sep 12, 2020
ethicallyright:

Is that a universal answer to your question? Can it pass for an answer in Saudi Arabia,Iran, China , North Korea, Pakistan, India and even Israel?

Where did I come from?

I came from my mother's womb. I reached there as a sperm through semen and fertilized her egg . My lovely mother pushed out on my birthday and I came into this world, a bouncing baby boy.

Now that's an answer because that's where 95% of people from Saudi Arabia,Iran, China , North Korea, Pakistan, India and Israel came from.

To buttress my answer to your first question, have you ever thought about test tube babies who never get to grow up in their mother's womb as foetus?

Would you agree that God created them in those test tubes and do they have a soul?

First of all, the truth does not require universal acceptance.

Yes, God created them, God created man and every other living thing with the ability to create more of their own kind through reproduction, irrespective of how it is done it still remains reproduction.

2 Likes

Re: Are Atheists Generally Smarter Than Non Atheist People? by theenchanter: 12:22am On Sep 12, 2020
ethicallyright:

Where did I come from?

u're ethically right.

3 Likes

Re: Are Atheists Generally Smarter Than Non Atheist People? by Nobody: 12:28am On Sep 12, 2020
ciro11:

First of all, the truth does not require universal acceptance.

Yes, God created them, God created man and every other living thing with the ability to create more of their own kind through reproduction, irrespective of how it is done it still remains reproduction.

What about hybrid forms of organisms formed in laboratories?

If Adam was Caucasian or Arab and Eve was Negroid or Mongoloid, how did their offsprings grow into different races.

If everyone came through reproduction, we would have only one race. A mixed race.

Check out even dogs German Shepherds are different from our local breed. Check out goats, Goats from the North are brown while most of the south are white and black. Check out our red apples and exotic green apples , our oranges and American oranges.

They may have one parent but these things became different most likely because of mutation and not reproduction.

4 Likes

Re: Are Atheists Generally Smarter Than Non Atheist People? by MrColdsweat: 1:36am On Sep 12, 2020
[s]
MJBOLT:
[/s]
Re: Are Atheists Generally Smarter Than Non Atheist People? by Humanoid01(m): 4:15am On Sep 12, 2020
Madibah:
Religious people are the most foolish one's who can be easily brainwashed..
Fvck it men
Religion as caused more problem in the world than any other thing..
Religious people tend to believe nothing is normal
Imagine taking a sick person to the pastor instead of hospital

Atheist are more brilliant ..
I believe in nothing and I'm proud of it
I have to chop my cus life is good
I highly doubt that you are intelligent. You seem far from it, sentiments aside. So you submission isn't correct.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Kiki Osinbajo Reacts To Kiddwaya And Erica Partying Together Last Night. / This Lady Sends Her N√de Videos To Her Internet Boyfriend But Leaked Them Online / Why Women Date And Marry Men

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.