Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,113 members, 7,821,821 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:26 PM

Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want (41337 Views)

Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want / 2 Lovers From Okija, Anambra Commit Suicide Over 'Osu' (Disturbing Pictures) / Yoruba Descendants In Brazil Cerebrate Obaluwaye Festival (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by NgwalandAbia(m): 6:48pm On Sep 14, 2020
sesan85:

Then go take it up with her.

Give her my address to repeat that trash sissy.
Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by Nobody: 6:50pm On Sep 14, 2020
sesan85:

Yes you're not, but it still doesn't erase the fact that the vast majority of Igbos are Trump worshippers na?
Okay nah.
Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by UDUJ(m): 6:50pm On Sep 14, 2020
FuckOsuPigs:

Spot on!

80% of Igbos are actually OSU. That's why they have flooded everywhere. I also learnt that the flatter their heads, the more likelihood they are OSU. Abeg is it true?

lmao cheesy grin cheesy. People like you are the problem in this forum cheesy
Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by Almunjid(m): 6:51pm On Sep 14, 2020
The old things have passed away. Behold, all things have become new.
Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by Shattuck(m): 6:53pm On Sep 14, 2020
NgwalandAbia:
Stupid people always trying hard to rope the great Igbo race...we are too big to fail.
don't be acting like this when something isn't right you condemn it and make ways to better it, rather than live in denial just because you don't want others to make fun of you. this stuff is wrong if you were at the receiving end of it I don't think this would be your narrative, BTW I am not from either of the major ethnic groups in Nigeria so don't think this is an attack on the Igbo tradition.

1 Like

Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by NgwalandAbia(m): 6:54pm On Sep 14, 2020
Shattuck:
don't be acting like this when something isn't right you condemn it and make ways to better it, rather than live in denial just because you don't want others to make fun of you. this stuff is wrong if you were at the receiving end of it I don't think this would be your narrative, BTW I am not from either of the major ethnic groups in Nigeria so don't think this is an attack on the Igbo tradition.

I hardly reply positively to people here because of the level of their IQ, but I think you are wise and I reserve my comment.

2 Likes

Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by xynerise: 6:55pm On Sep 14, 2020
NgwalandAbia:

I don't think she is normal.

Everyone who doesn't support your myopic reasoning is not normal. You are just so deeply uncivilised and enjoy living in your barbaric belief. What if you are one of the people being marginalized, would you have said this?

Tomorrow you will all shout Biafra and you expect the OSU people to be part of it . Biafra is not ready

2 Likes

Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by FuckOsuPigs: 6:56pm On Sep 14, 2020
UDUJ:

lmao cheesy grin cheesy. People like you are the problem in this forum cheesy

Bros abeg no cause katakata for me here nah. Make dem no ban me o!

I was just asking a question and that river apparition started quoting me upandan.

If dem ban me because of her, na soso masquerade she go dey dance with in her sleep until dem unban me.

.Abeg this one too na joke o cheesy

MsAllison na joke o grin

1 Like

Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by NgwalandAbia(m): 6:57pm On Sep 14, 2020
xynerise:

Everyone who doesn't support your myopic reasoning is not normal. You are just so deeply uncivilised and enjoy living in your barbaric belief. What if you are one of the people being marginalized, would you have said this?

Tomorrow you will all shout Biafra and you expect the OSU people to be part of it . Biafra is not ready

I think more Nigerians will die soon because of Biafra, this name is too strong..take heart bro.
Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by MsAllison(f): 6:57pm On Sep 14, 2020
FuckOsuPigs:

You for kuku call Ibrahim Magu grin.
the mods will fix you
Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by FuckOsuPigs: 6:57pm On Sep 14, 2020
mightt:
[s][/s]

cheesy
Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by Nobody: 6:57pm On Sep 14, 2020
AustineJohn908:
foolish tradition.

Maybe the little children called witches and wizard that they kill, murder and drive out in Akwaibom are angels on earth.
Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by Nobody: 6:57pm On Sep 14, 2020
oluwaahmed:

Unconfirmed reports from Ile-Ife indicate that the designated person to be buried alive alongside the monarch, known traditionally as the Abobaku, took to his heels for dear life

You guys even do human ritual sacrifices is that a lie?
Earlier this month, the traditional authorities in Ile-Ife said that there will be no human sacrifice involved in the burial of Oba Sijuwade. Apparently, Oba Sijuwade abolished human sacrifices when he was still on the throne and was said to have appealed to the gods to help put a stop to human sacrifice, describing the act as barbaric, callous and inhuman.
Even you will travel out of your village if your king dies. If you don't travel your sisters will travel.

https://www.nairaland.com/2524543/ooni-ife-burial-man-designated
Now I know you are half educated, in what you posted, show me where it indicates a king.

Olodo. There is a complete difference between abobaku and OSU or ohu.

Abobaku is a title that anyone that wishes can take.He enjoys the luxury of life, he makes decisions too

If the king uses private jet, abobaku must use as well.

Anything the king enjoys, he must enjoy too.

He can marry any lady he desires, his children may discontinue if they do wish.

Abobaku is not imposed on anybody or a whole race, it is a wish of the individual and they even fight for it.

UNLIKE

OSU or ohu, where it is imposed and it still passed on to generation to come.

As you are now that you are a complete OSU, till the world ends, your generation will continue to be OSU.

3 Likes

Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by FuckOsuPigs: 6:59pm On Sep 14, 2020
MsAllison:
the mods will fix you

Abeg nah...make dem no ban me. Okay, I'm sorry. E don do abeg. Person no dey play with you again? grin
Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by michealdeco: 7:00pm On Sep 14, 2020
There is nothing like osu to me

Nonsense that has been abolished in the few useless communities that practices it
Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by Ojukwubucket(m): 7:00pm On Sep 14, 2020
SegFault:

Trash, no one is an osu because of anything. Imagine if they call you a monkey because you are not white will you like it.
The person has no basis for calling me a monkey because I'm black...there are are also white monkeys..lol
Besides if every black person was known as a monkey because monkeys are black, I will happily accept and be proud of it
People referred to as OSU are not OSU to me because they didn't reject themselves, their people rejected them..
But for someone to reject himself/herself by being proud to speak other people's language and not his/her own, is in every sense an OSU ...
In a nutshell.. An OSU to me is anyone who isn't proud of his origin...Period!
Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by oluwaahmed: 7:00pm On Sep 14, 2020
FuckOsuPigs:

MsAllison!

Rule 1200. Oya come carry your OSU brother grin

grin cheesy
Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by xynerise: 7:01pm On Sep 14, 2020
NgwalandAbia:

I think more Nigerians will die soon because of Biafra, this name is too strong..take heart bro.

A movement without consideration is dead on arrival. The problem comes when they live together.

You are obviously ignorant
Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by Obec70(m): 7:01pm On Sep 14, 2020
Black lives matters in a foreign country while down here in black world it doesn't matter.

They attend same school, markets, offices etc yet they weren't part of the society?

Worst still they collect their money and still talk trash! It's barbaric ought to be eradicated!

1 Like

Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by oluwaahmed: 7:01pm On Sep 14, 2020
wizzakosh:
Now I know you are half educated, in what you posted, show me where it indicates a king.

Abobaku is a title that anyone that wishes can take.He enjoys the luxury of life, he makes decisions too

Abobaku is not imposed on anybody or a whole race, it is a wish of the individual and they even fight for it.

UNLIKE

As you are now that you are a complete OSU, till the world ends, your generation will continue to be OSU.

U are very unintelligent.. so stressful reasoning with you. Cant you read
Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by Seebrian(m): 7:02pm On Sep 14, 2020
Come to think of it. How do they identify Osu Igbo from others Igbo?
Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by WestOG: 7:02pm On Sep 14, 2020
[/quote][quote author=Bkayyy post=93919424]When are going to talk about the dehumanization of women in the North ( women are properties in the North)?
When are we going to talk about the forced hijab and barqa dressing on women in the North?
When are we going to talk about allowing women to inherit land and including them in communal laws in the North?
When are we going to talk about the harassment of women wearing normal clothes by hisbah in the North?
When are we going to talk about segregating women in tiny room in the mosque?
When are we going to also talk about the segregation of Hausa bakwai and Hausa Banza (which is like the osu caste)?
When are we going to talk about not allowing an hausa man to be emir in his own land in Northern Nigeria?
When are we going to talk about forcefully prosecuting a Northerner in Sharia courts?
When are we going to talk about not allowing female yoruba monarchs to marry and give birth like queen Elizabeth?
When are we going to talk about the use of bobaku by yoruba Obas?
When are we going to talk about the use of human parts as traditional items in the West?
When are we going to talk about not allowing women own ancestral lands in the West ( not acquired lands)?
When are we going to talk about denying women their right to be emirs in the North?
When are we going to talk about denying women their rights to be Ooni of Ife and Alaafin of oyo?
When are we going to talk about not allowing women to be the Oba of Bini?
This is just to list a few.
But here we are, where everybody thinks the Igbo culture should be changed to accommodate western views while theirs should not be touched.
I only support changing customs that abuse human rights. But trying to demonize a tribe based on some side of their culture which seems weird to you is what I am against.
All African and the world's customs have bad sides, we should all work to mend those sides.

Do u wish to be born as one of them?�
Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by michealdeco: 7:03pm On Sep 14, 2020
wizzakosh:

UNLIKE

Stop justifying rubbish

I strongly believe in traditions but I also strongly condemn the meaningless ones

Even the abobaku you're indirectly defending is very bad

Why will someone be buried alive whether it's voluntarily or not

It's evil
OSU and Abobaku are evil
Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by muykem: 7:04pm On Sep 14, 2020
Bkayyy:

True talk.
Our ancestors knew the stigma associated with slavery, that is why they rather die than allow themselves to be white slaves. E.g the Igbo landing in Virginia where they all commited suicide.
An Igbo man will rather die than allow himself to be enslaved because they believe that once you are enslaved, your soul and generation become enslaved. The same spirit is what you see in IPOB members, they see Nigeria as a slave camp so they rather die than be part of it
Why did Ojukwu ran away and came back to pledge one Nigeria to Buhari in Daura? Why is Nnamdi Kaun ran away just be seen with olosho in abroad. These examples are real definition of coward and slavery.

1 Like

Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by AustineJohn908(m): 7:05pm On Sep 14, 2020
Osagyefo98:

Maybe the little children called witches and wizard that they kill, murder and drive out in Akwaibom are angels on earth.
We have our problems concerning that, and we are trying to change it but u guys have refused to change urs
Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by edoairways: 7:05pm On Sep 14, 2020
muykem:
Igbo has never support black lives matter. They are strongly behind Donald Trump racist stand.
This stereotypical view is false. That many Igbo support Trump doesn't mean all of them do. And secondly, Trump is not a racist as been painted by the mainstream media
Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by OdefaGirl(f): 7:06pm On Sep 14, 2020
I've not heard about them in my own area, hope we've abolished it though... for our own good.
Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by NgwalandAbia(m): 7:06pm On Sep 14, 2020
xynerise:

A movement without consideration is dead on arrival. The problem comes when they live together.

You are obviously ignorant

Keep kwayet

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Ancient Kemet (ancient Egypt) In Pictures / Olowo Of Owo, Folagbade Olateru-olagbegi Has Died / Pictures Of Nigeria's Good Old Days

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.