Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,114 members, 7,818,320 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:37 PM

Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want (41307 Views)

Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want / 2 Lovers From Okija, Anambra Commit Suicide Over 'Osu' (Disturbing Pictures) / Yoruba Descendants In Brazil Cerebrate Obaluwaye Festival (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by sesan85(m): 6:37pm On Sep 14, 2020
SegFault:

Will you shut up. Must you bring tribal bigotry into this thread ehn, you just went on to blab "ibos" like all of us believe in this trash.

Oga, he wrote the truth. The vast majority of Igbos are Trump worshippers.

2 Likes

Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by Abagworo(m): 6:37pm On Sep 14, 2020
The writer knows little or nothing about Igbo culture and wrote absolute balderdash. Ohu is slave and is not prevalent in Igboland except maybe in fringe areas like Rivers State whose Igboness remains subject of controversy. Osu on the other hand are dedicated to shrines or comparable to Reverend Sisters and Monks in Christianity. While in the case of Osu they are traditionally allowed to marry fellow Osu the Reverend Sisters and Monks are not allowed to marry at all. The coming of Christianity demonized traditional religion and also demonized the Osus classifying them as outcast which is wrong. Are Monks outcasts? Every religion have different doctrines that look stupid to non adherents.

5 Likes

Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by Nobody: 6:38pm On Sep 14, 2020
sesan85:

Oga, he wrote the truth. The vast majority of Igbos are Trump worshippers.
But I am not so what are you saying, if you know how much I dislike the guy self.
Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by Nobody: 6:38pm On Sep 14, 2020
FuckOsuPigs:

Spot on!

80% of Igbos are actually OSU. That's why they have flooded everywhere. I also learnt that the flatter their heads, the more likelihood they are OSU. Abeg is it true?

Go and mine your skull wey u sabi

1 Like

Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by Eriokanmi: 6:38pm On Sep 14, 2020
anyone called osu should just come to edo and marry any of my sisters. And when he becomes rich, he must not contribute a dime in igboland. He should leave them and their useless age-long belief which isn't proven scientifically or religiously. Naxo dem call Philip Emeagwali family an osu. The man, as rich as he is today with so much recognitions globally, refused to do anything in igboland. Damn osu nonsense
Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by sesan85(m): 6:39pm On Sep 14, 2020
NgwalandAbia:
Stupid people always trying hard to rope the great Igbo race...we are too big to fail.

Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani who wrote the article is your fellow Igbo. Do you mean she's "trying hard to rope" her Igbo race?
Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by oluwaahmed: 6:39pm On Sep 14, 2020
wizzakosh:
Mumu, emotions have set in. Show us anywhere where a king is being buried alive with another king.

I understand the thread pain you cos it only said a known fact about you people.

Eating of humans is also part and parcel of you people.

Omase o

Unconfirmed reports from Ile-Ife indicate that the designated person to be buried alive alongside the monarch, known traditionally as the Abobaku, took to his heels for dear life

You guys even do human ritual sacrifices is that a lie?
Earlier this month, the traditional authorities in Ile-Ife said that there will be no human sacrifice involved in the burial of Oba Sijuwade. Apparently, Oba Sijuwade abolished human sacrifices when he was still on the throne and was said to have appealed to the gods to help put a stop to human sacrifice, describing the act as barbaric, callous and inhuman.
Even you will travel out of your village if your king dies. If you don't travel your sisters will travel.

https://www.nairaland.com/2524543/ooni-ife-burial-man-designated

1 Like

Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by FuckOsuPigs: 6:40pm On Sep 14, 2020
Osagyefo98:

Go and mine your skull wey u sabi

Na fight? grin grin grin

See as you turn a harmless kwesion into a fight. Na wah o!

1 Like

Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by Seebrian(m): 6:40pm On Sep 14, 2020
Osagyefo98:
If you are an OSU, you remain an OSU and generation unborn can't save you from that.

Forming an association of osus is nothing but inferiority complex.

Traditions remains tradition and can not change because few people feels that one or two things doesn't go their way.

The whole article is nothing but trash and nonsense. The wisdom of our forefathers surpasses that of all these generations.

The gods are wise and their ways unknown to men and for them to stipulate such rules, so shall it.

If you don't like Igbo tradition relocate to yorubaland and change your name to Olaotu or relocate to hausaland and change your name to Kawaii but if you insist on staying in Igboland them you must respect and abide by her traditions...

The tradition makes ndigbo special.
To be honest, I'm angry at your submission. I don't know what to type again. Just speechless.the
Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by sesan85(m): 6:42pm On Sep 14, 2020
dracula95:
Ibibio slave boy . when will you create thread on the thousands of your cheap akwa ibom girls prostituting all over Nigeria ?
https://punchng.com/24-aibom-girls-rescued-from-lagos-traffickers-den/

In fairness, everyone knows Igbo girls are the greatest, biggest prostitutes in Nigeria. Infact the Lingua Franca after English at most Nigerian brothels is Igbo. Even your Director Kanu once claimed that "99% of Igbo girls are prostitutes."

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by NgwalandAbia(m): 6:42pm On Sep 14, 2020
sesan85:

Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani who wrote the article is your fellow Igbo. Do you mean she's "trying hard to rope" her Igbo race?

I don't think she is normal.
Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by Nobody: 6:44pm On Sep 14, 2020
goodnessme1:
That is just it.
They are not discussing it because the care and love Igbos,but because they want to exhibit there internal hatred for Igbos.

You will never see them discuss about skull mining and incest ravaging Yoruba land.

Nor talk about brothers killing themselves in the name of boko haram.
This thread really pain your flat head hahaha. I am enjoying this.

Skull wetting, maybe you thought we have forgotten otokoto, okija shrine, drug peddling, kidnapping, humans feasting.

You must be an Ohu Hahahahah.

2 Likes

Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by oluwaahmed: 6:44pm On Sep 14, 2020
FuckOsuPigs:

Spot on!

80% of Igbos are actually OSU. That's why they have flooded everywhere. I also learnt that the flatter their heads, the more likelihood they are OSU. Abeg is it true?

If I tell you its true now, u will go and mine and all the osu skulls in South wasťe

Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by wwwihy: 6:45pm On Sep 14, 2020
Nawa o
Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by sesan85(m): 6:45pm On Sep 14, 2020
SegFault:

But I am not so what are you saying, if you know how much I dislike the guy self.

Yes you're not, but it still doesn't erase the fact that the vast majority of Igbos are Trump worshippers na?
Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by Mungopark55(m): 6:46pm On Sep 14, 2020
nkanbe labe orun
Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by Nobody: 6:46pm On Sep 14, 2020
Seebrian:
To be honest, I'm angry at your submission. I don't know what to type again. Just speechless.the
Don't mind people like that, typical useless people. They will now start complaining about marginalisation when they are worse, not all of us are like that though.
Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by AustineJohn908(m): 6:46pm On Sep 14, 2020
Osagyefo98:
If you are an OSU, you remain an OSU and generation unborn can't save you from that.

Forming an association of osus is nothing but inferiority complex.

Traditions remains tradition and can not change because few people feels that one or two things doesn't go their way.

The whole article is nothing but trash and nonsense. The wisdom of our forefathers surpasses that of all these generations.

The gods are wise and their ways unknown to men and for them to stipulate such rules, so shall it.

If you don't like Igbo tradition relocate to yorubaland and change your name to Olaotu or relocate to hausaland and change your name to Kawaii but if you insist on staying in Igboland them you must respect and abide by her traditions...

The tradition makes ndigbo special.
foolish tradition.
Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by ChangedMan1999(m): 6:46pm On Sep 14, 2020
Abagworo:
The writer knows little or nothing about Igbo culture and wrote absolute balderdash. Ohu is slave and is not prevalent in Igboland except maybe in fringe areas like Rivers State whose Igboness remains subject of controversy. Osu on the other hand are dedicated to shrines or comparable to Reverend Sisters and Monks in Christianity. While in the case of Osu they are traditionally allowed to marry fellow Osu the Reverend Sisters and Monks are not allowed to marry at all. The coming of Christianity demonized traditional religion and also demonized the Osus classifying them as outcast which is wrong. Are Monks outcasts? Every religion have different doctrines that look stupid to non adherents.

No, leave that nwaubani woman to bring up false info that will tarnish the image of our tribe, all in the name of feeling woke.

2 Likes

Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by sesan85(m): 6:47pm On Sep 14, 2020
NgwalandAbia:

Then go take it up with her.
Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by vioment: 6:47pm On Sep 14, 2020
Make it suable. Serious financial cost.

A very backward and ancient ignorance.

The lady should be able to sue for emotional damage based on tribe and a stupid belief that was foolish in the first place.
Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by sesan85(m): 6:47pm On Sep 14, 2020
NgwalandAbia:

Then go take it up with her.
Re: Ohu, Osu: Nigeria's Slave Descendants Prevented From Marrying Who They Want by Cmanforall: 6:48pm On Sep 14, 2020
Blue3k:
Make threads on topics you care to discuss stop crying like a wounded animal. The BBC article didnt dehumanize anyone. It's actually Igbos themselves working to change the culture. Maybe you should read the article instead displaying your persecution complex.

There's one important thing captured in the article, most of the people tagged as Osu or Ohu are actually doing very well and are employers of labour. In fact some of them are among the richest in Nigeria.
They also have gained political positions, which contradicts some parts of the article.

There are names someone told me that are Osu, and you would wonder why people won't want to link up with the in terms of marriage, but would though so in financial and political matters.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Obama To Honour Ooni Ogunwusi As NYC Declares Yoruba Day / Ancient Kemet (ancient Egypt) In Pictures / Olowo Of Owo, Folagbade Olateru-olagbegi Has Died

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.