Welcome, Guest: Join Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 2,625,249 members, 6,122,335 topics. Date: Wednesday, 27 January 2021 at 08:32 PM

Black Maria 4 (Nemesis) - Literature (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Black Maria 4 (Nemesis) (32378 Views)

Black Maria: Legends A Story By LarrySun / Maria: The Sequel / The Nemesis Of Ezra Season One:beginning Of Karma. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Black Maria 4 (Nemesis) by Ismaxx: 10:41pm On Dec 21, 2020
to be honest...Larry is the best on this nairaland, like.....I don't know how to describe him

1 Like

Re: Black Maria 4 (Nemesis) by indodon(m): 9:34am On Dec 22, 2020
Who's the � GOAT of writers on nairaland?

Larrysun

I say again it's Larry baba

I hail you sir

1 Like

Re: Black Maria 4 (Nemesis) by pelvicky(m): 9:34pm On Dec 24, 2020
Thank you Larry
Re: Black Maria 4 (Nemesis) by Ultimategeneral: 10:26am On Dec 27, 2020
indodon:
Who's the � GOAT of writers on nairaland?

Larrysun

I say again it's Larry baba

I hail you sir
Swears! He's the very best in this part of literature.
Re: Black Maria 4 (Nemesis) by Davidzy23(m): 10:52pm On Dec 27, 2020
Ultimategeneral:
Swears! He's the very best in this part of literature.
Totally agree.... Larrysun is a rare Gem
Re: Black Maria 4 (Nemesis) by LarrySun(m): 10:58pm On Dec 27, 2020

Update 14

Peter frowned and thought deeply about what his cellmate had just told him. initially, he had thought Basket was behind this but now he was not really sure. The old Basket would do everything to make him comfortable; but that Basket was gone. The new Basket was out to destroy him. Peter suspected that John Balewa might not rest until he, Peter Black, was finally dead. Perhaps it was his own death that would finally bring his old friend succor. But Peter was not scared of dying. Death meant very little to him after he had lost practically every single person he truly cared about. Sometimes Peter himself wondered why he was still alive up until this moment. The death that had claimed everyone around him should have taken him too; but for some reason he was still alive. Well, he needed to stay alive now. When Maria was dying, the only thing he wanted was to die with her. The world was meaningless; he didn’t feel he deserved to live any longer. It was a privilege that he had lived for so long; he should have died since he was ten years old but he had lived to be twenty-three. Indeed, not many people had his kind of luck, especially people who went through the kind of horror he experienced while growing up – the kind of inhumanity meted on him.

But Maria had given him a reason to keep pushing on. As much as he wanted to be reunited with Maria wherever she went, Peter knew he must not die now. He had a new responsibility. He had a son he must live for. He wanted to be a part of his son’s life; dying was out of the question, and so was spending the rest of his life in prison. Fortunately for him, an opportunity had presented itself to Peter Black. He felt that, someone, nature was making an attempt to work in his favour. It didn’t seem like a coincidence that he was sharing the same cell with a close friend of Maria. It might indeed be a small world, but this was just too smooth to be considered coincidental.

But ten years was too long to wait. Solo had promised that they would both be walking out of this prison when he, Solo, finally gained his freedom – and for some reason, Peter trusted him; the young man seemed like an honourable person – but Peter didn’t think he would wait that long. No, he couldn’t simply remain here for ten years. Every day his son spent under John Balewa’s roof was like a punch to Peter Black’s solar plexus. He wanted to go there and grab his son. Every day, he had always pictured the look of horror on Basket’s face when he told him that one of his ‘twin’ was his child. It would be an interesting sight to behold indeed; and for once, he would look at his old friend with an expression of triumph.

“Words in the yard is that Murphy broke out of this prison because of me,” Solo added.

Peter’s mind was dragged back to the present. He looked up at Solo in surprise. “Because of you?”

The recipient nodded. “Yes. So I heard. He couldn’t bear the fact that I went out before him when we were supposed to be out together at the same time. I heard that he broke out to search for me. Unfortunately, I had to return here just around the time he escaped. If I had waited another day before agreeing to the deal, I would have heard the news of his escape.”

“And if you knew,” asked Peter, “Would you have forsaken sixty million naira just to be with your friend?”

Solo stared at him. “Friendship and honour go together, my friend. With Murphy with me, life outside prison would be much more bearable. So, to answer your question, yes, I would forsake the money to be with my friend. The truth is, no amount in the world is worth a man’s freedom. I took the deal because I couldn’t survive alone out there. If I knew Murphy was out, I wouldn’t have taken that deal. But then again, I wouldn’t have met you had I not taken the deal. You see, this life works in mysterious ways.”

“He’ll be caught,” Peter said solemnly.

“Who?”

“Your friend,” he replied, “He’s a fugitive now, isn’t he?”

“Murphy? Oh, I wouldn’t worry about him,” Solo smiled, “Murphy is very smart.”

“But my friend is after him.”

Solo stared at him. “Officer John Balewa?”

Peter nodded. “I learnt that he’s the chief of police now. No matter how smart your friend is, Basket is going to catch him. Wasn’t he responsible for the incarceration of the three of you before? My guess is that Murphy, wherever he is, will join you here in jail before you get out, and this time he’s going to spend a very long time.”

Solo shook his head. “I know Murphy more than you do. He’s not going to be caught again. He knows what’s at stake. He will disappear totally. Officer JB can’t catch him. Trust me.”

Peter chuckled. “You’re underestimating Basket. That’s dangerous. A lot of people who underestimated him are rotting away in prison. Only two people in the world know how he thinks – Maria and I. We were the only two people he was unable to get.”

“And yet here you are.”

Peter smiled. “It wasn’t Basket’s wits that landed me here. No, it wasn’t.”

“What do you mean?”

“You won’t understand, my friend.”

Solo stared at him and said, “Please do not tell anyone about what I told. The man is a very powerful politician; he wouldn’t like it if this news got out there.”

“He’s a politician?”

“Yes, of course. He’s the deputy governor of this state.”

Peter whistled. “So you’re filling in for the son of the deputy governor?”

Solo shrugged.

Peter became silent for a while. Something nasty was going through his head. He stared at Solo and thought if only his cellmate knew how important he was now. If he were Solo, he knew he would not wait for ten years to get out – he knew a lot of things he would do to speed up his release. Peter wanted to share an idea going on in his head with Solo but decided against it. If the young man could not figure it out himself, then he, Peter, had no business meddling into the affair. Good luck with spending the next decade in jail – Peter had decided he wasn’t going to wait that long to get out.

“Thank you for telling me your story,” Peter said, “I promise no one is going to know about it. about I would have to decline your offer of leaving with you.”

Solo seemed surprised by that statement. “You’re ready to spend the rest of your life here?”

Peter shrugged. He had decided he wasn’t going to reveal his plan to the young man. He wasn’t being selfish; he was actually protecting his cellmate. The man would be out and become a millionaire in ten years. If he told Solo that he was planning to break out, the innocent man might decide to join him in the escape, and Peter might not be able to convince him. Solo had a good life already planned for himself; Peter wouldn’t want him risking all that for fleeting liberation. By breaking out, Peter knew he would be looking over his shoulders for the rest of his life. Of course he was used to that kind of life; he had been looking over his shoulders since he was ten years old. But looking at Solo, Peter knew the young man was not cut out for that kind of life; and it wouldn’t be fair if he dragged such a promising man into that kind of life. Solo might have gambled and robbed, but there was still that identity of innocence about him. He wasn’t like Peter Black, he wasn’t like Murphy – in fact, he wasn’t like Maria. Solo was a man who desired a quiet and peaceful life, such life had been presented before him on a platter of gold. He only needed to spend ten years and he would live the rest of his life in affluence.

Peter was good at studying people. Within the few months he had spent with Solo, he had come to the conclusion that the young man was just average intellectually; he was prone to making stupid decisions as much as he could make brilliant ones. People like Solo would always remained followers – they always desired people they could look up to because they couldn’t make independent decisions; that was why he couldn’t survive alone when he got out of jail – that was why he said he would give up sixty million naira just to be with his friend Murphy.

He looked at Solo’s face and he could read only one expression; the young man was looking up to him, he was regarding him as the leader. Peter’s suspicions had been right after all; Solo was a typical, bona fide follower. He had looked up to Murphy when they were together, then when Maria had joined them, he had looked up to her too, he had even fallen in love with her. Then when Maria left, he continued to look up to Murphy. Now that Murphy was not around, Peter was the next person to look up to. Peter didn’t fault him for that, that was how he was engineered. He must have been so pampered when he was a kid that he couldn’t do anything on his own – he had a dependent personality. If he eventually got married, Peter suspected that Solo’s wife would be the superior decision-maker in the family. A smile crossed Peter Black’s lips as the thought roamed through his mind. Solo would make a devoted husband; his wife would be one of the luckiest women on earth. However, if he married the wrong kind of woman there would be problem. That kind of wife would be tired of his docile personality and might consider extra-marital relationships. Most women desired raw masculinity in their men, not vegetable with muscles.

That night, Peter Black slept late. He kept thinking about the discussions he had with Solo. That was the first time they would have such a long conversation. Peter thought about what his life might be in the next ten years. In ten years’ time, Solo would be a millionaire; but what would he be? A billionaire? A trillionaire? A prisoner? For he was sure that Basket would again be on his tail. But he didn’t worry about the third possibility much. He knew it would be close to impossible for Basket to catch him again, especially now that Maria was gone. Nothing would be holding him down – except his son. His mind drifted to his son and a smile visited hi visage. By now, the boy would be conscious of his surroundings. He might even be crawling now. Peter suddenly longed to see his son. He would give anything to see the picture of his child. He would give an arm to be able to hold him and urge him tight. This longing was the reason why he would not wait ten years before getting out of this confinement. He would break out, take the diamond from where he kept it, carry his child and disappear totally. He and his son would live a quiet life where no one would find them. He made a promise to Maria and he intended to keep that promise.

The following morning, Peter set in motion the plan to break out of prison. He knew it would be very hard to do something like this alone. And if he would need anyone to assist him, he knew exactly who he was going to use – it wasn’t going to be Solo.

11 Likes

Re: Black Maria 4 (Nemesis) by jenifer007: 11:12pm On Dec 27, 2020
Thanks for the update
Re: Black Maria 4 (Nemesis) by gabi98(m): 11:47pm On Dec 27, 2020
Thanks larrysun for bedtime update
Re: Black Maria 4 (Nemesis) by sheba222(f): 6:55am On Dec 28, 2020
thanks for this wonderful piece.
Re: Black Maria 4 (Nemesis) by doctorexcel(m): 7:02am On Dec 28, 2020
Merry xmas larrysun and thanks for the update
Re: Black Maria 4 (Nemesis) by Ann2012(f): 9:06am On Dec 28, 2020
Thanks for the update boss
Re: Black Maria 4 (Nemesis) by aprilwise(m): 9:14am On Dec 28, 2020
The brain work in this story is like 48 laws of power.
Re: Black Maria 4 (Nemesis) by jayman00004(m): 9:43am On Dec 28, 2020
I love this, keep it up
Re: Black Maria 4 (Nemesis) by dhesire(m): 12:00pm On Dec 28, 2020
Nice update, merci beaucoup!
Re: Black Maria 4 (Nemesis) by Inkopere: 5:40pm On Dec 28, 2020
Hmmmm, who will help Peter?

The story won get twist
Re: Black Maria 4 (Nemesis) by Calenikan(m): 10:23pm On Dec 28, 2020
Twale Sir
Re: Black Maria 4 (Nemesis) by Nickymezor(f): 11:42pm On Dec 28, 2020
Thanks for the update and happy new year in advance.

1 Like

Re: Black Maria 4 (Nemesis) by ghettochild(m): 10:06am On Dec 29, 2020
Whose got black Maria ebooks??
oderindemotayo@gmail.com
Re: Black Maria 4 (Nemesis) by LarrySun(m): 10:32am On Dec 29, 2020
ghettochild:
Whose got black Maria ebooks??
oderindemotayo@gmail.com
shocked shocked shocked

Inside life.
Re: Black Maria 4 (Nemesis) by Nickshrapnel(m): 10:50am On Dec 29, 2020
LarrySun:
shocked shocked shocked

Inside life.
Such impudence angry
Re: Black Maria 4 (Nemesis) by hidhrhis(m): 11:14am On Dec 29, 2020
LarrySun:
shocked shocked shocked

Inside life.
larrysun please how can i get the book 4 that u are writing. I use to subscribe per episode for 50 naira but lost my phone
lost ur no and im no longer using whatsapp but only telegram
u can check the number on my profile
Re: Black Maria 4 (Nemesis) by ghettochild(m): 3:31pm On Dec 29, 2020
LarrySun:
shocked shocked shocked

Inside life.
Na all of us go buy Ni?
Abi u never borrow novel read before??
Inside life
Re: Black Maria 4 (Nemesis) by LarrySun(m): 5:05pm On Dec 29, 2020
hidhrhis:

larrysun please how can i get the book 4 that u are writing. I use to subscribe per episode for 50 naira but lost my phone
lost ur no and im no longer using whatsapp but only telegram
u can check the number on my profile
Send me a message on Telegram. My number is in my signature.
Re: Black Maria 4 (Nemesis) by Rick9(m): 11:38pm On Dec 29, 2020
Wow
Re: Black Maria 4 (Nemesis) by indodon(m): 6:47am On Dec 31, 2020
I'm loyal
Re: Black Maria 4 (Nemesis) by nkemdave(m): 1:12pm On Dec 31, 2020
[quote author=LarrySun post=97482825][/quote]

I would be elated if Peter Black finally escape from prison cool grin grin

Enjoying this masterpiece #Larrysun
Re: Black Maria 4 (Nemesis) by Drew13: 2:47pm On Jan 01
Larry after you na you
Well-done
Re: Black Maria 4 (Nemesis) by LarrySun(m): 6:25pm On Jan 03

Update 15

IV

The two newborns in the Balewa ménage lived under the same roof but grew independently. Daniel Balewa – who was fondly called Danny in the family – had a few challenges in his growth. Because he had a weak immune system as an infant, he caught every disease an infant could catch and more; and some of the diseases he shared with the rest of the family. For instance, when he was attacked by measles, the rest of the family had to take shots against the attack. But as he grew up, Danny’s immune system improved, albeit slowly. He was soon easily fighting off the diseases and infections.

But what Danny lacked in proper health he made for in smartness. He was already crawling when his ‘brother’ was still learning how to sit right, and at eighteen months Danny could already talk. His incredible brilliance was a thing of pride to the entire family. Whenever toy were bought for them, Danny always ended up breaking the toys apart in his attempt to discover what made them work. He was a very agile child and he had broken a lot of dishes to his credit.

Although the two lads were born on the same day, Danny seemed like he had come to the world a few weeks before his brother. His eyes contained some depths that belied kids his age. When Danny looked at you, he seemed to be looking past your physical qualities – he might have been looking at your guilt. While his brother still desired to be pampered by their mother, Danny, as young as he was, seemed ready to carve his own path through life.

Even before be started school, Danny already knew the English alphabet. He could write 1 to 50 already, and he was able to form a few two-letter words on his own without being taught. His intelligence was a constant source of surprise to the entire family.

“He’s such an incredible kid,” Rhoda had once said to her mother-in-law. The two women had been studying Danny as he climbed out of his cot to reach for his toy car. “He’s just like his father,” she added with an expression of fascination.

Nkerija Balewa smiled and nodded. “Indeed he is.” Then her smile suddenly faded and said, “I hope you aren’t having any preferential feeling towards these kids.

Rhoda frowned in surprise. “Of course not! I love them equally. They’re both adorable.”

“It’s normal for a mother to love one child more than another, but in this case, you didn’t really give birth to the two children. I actually expected you to show more devotion to your child,” the old woman paused and said, “I’m confused. It seems to me that you’re particularly fond of Danny instead of your biological child. I may be wrong, but it seems like you like the son of Peter Black more than your own child. But then again, looking at it from another perspective, it is just natural.”

Rhoda’s frown grew deeper. “What are you talking about, mama?”

“You have always loved Peter Black, haven’t you? I know all the stories,” she said, “My son told me everything. Oh, don’t be nervous. I’m not judging you. A woman can only love one person deeply. Of course I understand that you love my son, even though he’s not an easy person to love. I appreciate you in my family, Rhoda. You’re like the daughter I never had; and I am grateful that you could love my son and stick with him even with all his shortcomings. I am hopeful that he’ll come around someday. I hope what Old Balé always wanted comes to fulfillment.”

“And what is that?”

Nkerija smiled and said. “It’s ridiculous, considering the situation. My father wanted a large family. He wanted every one of us to live under the same roof – including Peter Black.”

Rhoda actually laughed out loud at how ridiculous that sounded to her. “That’s simply impossible, mama. Water and oil can never mix.”

The woman stared at her. “They can’t mix or you won’t allow them to mix?”

Rhoda felt slapped across the face. She knew exactly what the older woman was talking about and she felt highly insulted. In a way, she felt responsible for the long-standing rift between Peter and her husband. Indeed, she felt responsible for every terrible thing that had happened. She had destroyed the relationship between two friends because she couldn’t control her feelings – and that decision had cost a lot of people their lives, including her parents, and Maria – especially Maria. Rhoda felt responsible for her death and the guilt of everything had been eating her up from within like cancer. She felt even worse because she was helpless; she wished she could do something to correct things, but there was nothing – she was simply useless. That guilt had been threatening to capsize her rationality but she had always managed to hold on to her sanity, at least for the sake of the children. But here was her mother-in-law reminding her about what she had been trying desperately to forget.

“What are you trying to say, mama?” she seethed, trying to hold back the tears already welling in her eyes.

The old woman saw the hurt in Rhoda’s face and immediately regretted her statement. The last thing she wanted was to upset the poor girl; she felt sorry for her – she had gone through so much. Rhoda was alone in the world; the only family she had left was her husband, mother-in-law and the kids. Nkerija felt that she had no right to make the girl feel so sad. Who would blame anyone for their youthful exuberances? Even she knew she had done more than Rhoda when she was a blossomed young girl. She had known a lot o other men before finally settling down with John’s father. In fact, she had once had a thing with her brother-in-law (John’s father’s older brother) but nobody knew about it. And thankfully, the man fell from a palm tree and broke his neck just two days after the act. Nkerija had kept the secret sealed in her heart ever since then; she wasn’t a stranger to having a few bones in her cupboard, but discretion had always been her watchword. As a matter of fact, she still had a secret that only she knew about, and it wasn’t her little romp with her brother-in-law.

“Oh no,” she said honestly, “I didn’t mean to upset you. I’m so sorry. What I mean is that you are the only one who can make that possible. It’s you who can fulfill my father’s dream.”

“How mama? How?”

The woman paused for a moment before speaking, “What I’m going to say next may be hurtful to hear but believe me, I’m not judging you. I have no intention of making you sad, my daughter. But can you keep your body away from Peter Black if he happens to live under the same roof with us? Think about it before replying, and I want you to reply honestly.”

This was the same question Rhoda had been asking herself for years. And quite frankly, she had not been bold enough to really answer it. Whenever the question crossed her mind, she always pushed it deeper into the ditch of her mind and it would take a while before it climbed out to torment her again. Now the question had finally escaped and it was confronting her; it was looking down at her through the eyes of her mother-in-law.

“Of course I can,” Rhoda finally said, trying as much as possible to make her voice steady. “What happened between Peter and me is something I will continue to regret for the rest of my life. I was a naïve child at the time. I didn’t understand the gravity of what I was doing. I was blinded by the lust that consumed me. But now I can see; I can see the damage my stupidity has caused. How would I commit the same error that ruined so many things? I wouldn’t want to dishonor myself, my husband, the kids and Maria by sleeping with Peter again. No, it simply can’t happen again. Besides, it’s not even a topic we should be discussing. Peter is spending a life imprisonment sentence. There’s no way he’s ever coming back. What we should focus our energy on is making sure his child grows into a responsible person. We have to take good care of Danny, mama. He must not have any feeling that he does not belong in the family.”

The woman carried a smile on her face as she studied Rhoda. Finally she spoke. “I don’t believe you.”

“What!”

“I’m sorry I have to be honest with you. I don’t believe the words that came out of your mouth concerning Peter Black. You are helpless around him. If both of you are alone in a room, you will definitely seduce him again.”

“But-but mama –”

The old woman held up a hand to silence her. “Please don’t interrupt me. I’m a woman like you. I know the power Peter Black has over you. He’s your first love; and the love is so strong that it’s impossible for you to let go of him. I know you want to be free of him but you are not. Peter Black is the only person in the world you love so deeply; and that’s why Old Balé’s dream would never come to fruition. I understand your dilemma, dear. Believe me, I truly do; but sometimes we have to always stay true to ourselves. By being honest with ourselves, we’ll know who we are, and perhaps, that is when we can truly aspire to be our better selves. I don’t know if you understand what I’m talking about. The kind of love you have for Peter Black is a ditch without layers – but the distinction between love and lust is a very thin thread indeed.

“The affection you have for the father is what you’re obviously channeling on the son, in a good way of course. And, by God, there’s nothing wrong with that. You just have to balance the connection you have for the two kids. Remember, one is your blood and the other isn’t. The kids are infants now but you have to be careful how you deal with them as you grow up. The worst mistake a mother can make is to show favouritism towards his children. Even if you do, do not let either of the kids to know that you love one more than the other – favouritism shown by parents is what often drives a wedge between families. I hope to stay alive long enough to guide you through this process. When you study the two children critically, you will understand that they are equally incredible. Put aside your sentiment and observe them objectively.”

Rhoda took in every word her mother-in-law told her; she agreed with some of what the woman has said and disagreed with others.

“Mama, surely you agree that a mother can love one child over another.”

“Of course.” Replied Nkerija, “I’m afraid it may be the burden of motherhood. But I can’t entirely relate. As you can see, I have only one child. Even though he could be insensitive, I love John unconditionally. He used to be a sweet kid, my boy. But when he left home, something changed in him – I don’t know if it’s the betrayal that changed him or the job. Being a policeman is such a wrong profession for someone like John. John wasn’t a child to habour grudges for so long. I miss my sweet, sweet John.” She was smiling but tears ran down her face.

“But tell me, mama,” said Rhoda, “Who is your favourite between the two kids?”

“Oh, it’s hard to tell now, but you’re right – Danny is such an incredible child.”

Rhoda stared at her. She was lost for words.

13 Likes

Re: Black Maria 4 (Nemesis) by Nickymezor(f): 7:17pm On Jan 03
Thanks for the update Oga Larry n happy new year.
Re: Black Maria 4 (Nemesis) by omobs(m): 7:23pm On Jan 03
Happy new year Larrysun
Re: Black Maria 4 (Nemesis) by sheba222(f): 7:38pm On Jan 03
hmmm even Rhoda's mother inlaw is confused,I just the here dey wait for more drama.Thanks Larrysun.
Re: Black Maria 4 (Nemesis) by doctorexcel(m): 7:51pm On Jan 03
Thanks for the update chief and many more wins for you in year 2021

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

BISI - The Other Woman (SHORT) By Jon Doe / Chinua Achebe Branded Vehicles Spotted In Uganda / The Torpedo

Viewing this topic: Oladim001(m)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2021 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 213
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.