Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,814 members, 7,824,382 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 09:14 AM

Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? (34561 Views)

Two Jobs I Will Advice My Children Against. / Lecturing In State University Vs Federal Polytechnic / N85k Bank Contract Staff Job Vs N50k Public School Teaching Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by Mayflowa(m): 10:48am On Oct 07, 2020
Emir8:

I have master degree and want to start my PhD next year. The university told me that I can't start PhD until I work for them for 3 years. That is another thing I'm considering. The secondary school will allow me to go for PhD

I am a lecturer in a federal university currently studying abroad. When I saw your comparison, I almost call you a fool for deliberating a university job over secondary school job until I saw this. The private university is not towards your best interest. A university employer is suppose to hammer on faculty growth not the other way round. Don't even imagine you can get extra money from this university. You would be sacked! And why are they giving you such long hours of work( 10 hours per day). This is the kind of place that would use you and drain you. I will advice you go talk to new employees in the school to see are they are coping. Please go for the exploits with your fiancee so she will get firsthand account. She is scared you making the wrong decision while she is alive. Right now, she is sold on names. Of course, she won't leave you. I think it is best for you to continue your secondary school job and start studying toward your PhD. Write standard text books in your subject area. I believe you will get a good university after your PhD. Most importantly, you should be looking towards writing GRE and applying to US universities. PhD students are paid like N500k monthly to be a student. Follow the application process on TRAVELS

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by edoairways: 10:48am On Oct 07, 2020
abimbola74:
Most private schools don’t allow sales of handouts oooo so forget the extra cash from that angle.
But their lecturers collect bribe though not all
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by jikins(m): 10:48am On Oct 07, 2020
Emir8:
Hello Nairalander,
I really need advice concerning making a choice between the two jobs before me. My family members are divided over which job I should choose.

I'm working in a highbrow secondary school and my start up salary was N75,000. After three years, my salary is now N96,000.00. I just got a lecturing job with a private university and my gross salary according to the appointment letter is N88,000.00. My father wants me to continue with my teaching in the secondary school but my mother and fiancee are pressuring me to write acceptance letter to the university and accept the offer. There's no time, both the university and the secondary school will be resuming on 12/10/2020 and I have to make a choice between now and Thursday. My fiancee is already calling herself "wife of a lecturer" and threatening that she will quit the relationship if I did not accept the university offer. My mind is in the secondary school because there is free lunch and N150,000.00 housing allowance per year, but the university doesn't give lunch and housing allowance.

Should I go and become Mr. Lecturer and sacrifice my secondary school benefits?

For me 1st decision is to end your relationship with that your fiancee. Someone that manipulative and unsupportive is a recipe for disaster. How can a job make you threaten to leave your fiancee not even boyfriend. Thats a huge red flag to me definitely.

As per your job, stay in the secondary school, get your phd and apply for a better lecturing job in the future. In the end do what makes you happy. But that fiancee watch her well.

2 Likes

Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by Elaric(m): 10:48am On Oct 07, 2020
As much as I respect sensible lady opinion, but I dislike threat (Dats for ur fiancee).
In a long run, chose what will give u comfort ,satisfaction n time for ur self n family.
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by tot(f): 10:49am On Oct 07, 2020
iaamxavier:
I would advice you go for the lecturing job

There's high chances of salary increment in universities
Also if you know your onions there's also high chances of you becoming a senior lecturer within time

Also you have more time as a lecturer to start up a business to support your self and family

You get to meet a lot of influential people since its a private university
If you behave like the "Nigerian Lecturer" You'll make it big time if you know what I mean grin

Secondary school job isn't secured at all as you can easily be replaced at any slightest issue, But its all about fulfillment. If you feel fulfilled there you can as well stay back

It's shameful we even joke about this. Extortion, harassment is nothing to be proud of or joke about.

1 Like

Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by Bgetto: 10:49am On Oct 07, 2020
Many lecturers i know off are teaching in private secondary school in fact my secondary school teacher he is lecturer in federal university to me is notting to compare and i will go for lecturing or both if possible
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by olite93(m): 10:50am On Oct 07, 2020
follow ur papa. 90k + 58k plus 150 every xmas plus parents gifts during special days; no b beans. get ur phd nxt yr and you have broader choices of becomin a principal, school owner, business owner, and maybe fed uni lecturer wit ur phd than stalling for 3 yrs with an msc because of prestige and a lower pay and more work. use ur tongue count ur teeth, the grass isnt always greener on d other side, a bird in hand is worth 3 in dis 9ja economy cos all man need as diversified income as possible. if ur babe no sabi plan future well she aint worth being ur wife cos wen d private uni owe u for months, she go insult you while following her friends to owambe joints with other men. (inside life). think with your brain and carry your feelings along. adjust ur feelings to what is best for you. i think d sec sch job has more future prospects than the uni. my 2 cents. pri uni paying 88k is sure low end uni which is glorified sec sch. if na govt uni wit thousands of students u wld ve made huge sums selling hand outs but most schs dont do handout and its crime, exam runs too is crime. which happens just 2ce yearly. pls think am well. make ur findings about illegal lecturer runs for d uni if e go pay u

2 Likes

Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by YoungDaNaval(m): 10:50am On Oct 07, 2020
LandMann:

You wonder why Nigeria is rotten when people like you fill this geographical space, looking for how to cut corners and corruptly enrich themselves at the expense of true growth and development in Nigeria.

Tufiakwa!
lmfao
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by jadyclem(m): 10:50am On Oct 07, 2020
Emir8:
Hello Nairalander,
I really need advice concerning making a choice between the two jobs before me. My family members are divided over which job I should choose.

I'm working in a highbrow secondary school and my start up salary was N75,000. After three years, my salary is now N96,000.00. I just got a lecturing job with a private university and my gross salary according to the appointment letter is N88,000.00. My father wants me to continue with my teaching in the secondary school but my mother and fiancee are pressuring me to write acceptance letter to the university and accept the offer. There's no time, both the university and the secondary school will be resuming on 12/10/2020 and I have to make a choice between now and Thursday. My fiancee is already calling herself "wife of a lecturer" and threatening that she will quit the relationship if I did not accept the university offer. My mind is in the secondary school because there is free lunch and N150,000.00 housing allowance per year, but the university doesn't give lunch and housing allowance.

To be sincere lecturing job has more long term benefits than secondary school teaching job regardless of how high thew salary of the secondary school may be. You have great opportunity to grow and advance your teaching career with the lecturing job than than the secondary school job. If I was in your shoes I would gladly accept the lecturing job and scale up gradually from three.
Though if you must accept the lecturing job let it be because you really want to do it and you see a future in it. Your girlfriend threat is just a childish talk; don't allow her threat influence your decision. Let the decision come from your heart so tomorrow you won't have anyone to blame should it not go as you expected.
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by tot(f): 10:50am On Oct 07, 2020
Emir8:

I have master degree and want to start my PhD next year. The university told me that I can't start PhD until I work for them for 3 years. That is another thing I'm considering. The secondary school will allow me to go for PhD

I really think your mind is with the secondary school job, don't allow people to persuade you to go against your mind. Very key. Opportunities can come from different angles, not necessarily only in a university setting.

Also, who says an even better university offer cannot come in the future?

1 Like

Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by dave4rella(m): 10:51am On Oct 07, 2020
shocked

Go for the lecturing job, you have the chance to pogress.
The career apex in a secondary school is to become a principal but in lecturing, you can become a senior lecturer and a prof.
It will also give you the chance to run other side business.
Also check if the private university is accredited by NUC before you enter one chance.
Another added advantage of the lecturing job is that you will have access to numerous pvssy to knack, you can't try that in secondary school school as they are underage grin
Accept the offer now and you won't regret it.
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by silverkings: 10:51am On Oct 07, 2020
Emir8:

Here is the time schedule:

Secondary school: 8:00AM - 4:00PM
University: 8:00AM - 6:00PM

I used to teach some Lebanese and Pakistanis children private lessons from 4:30 to 6:30 in which I make up to N58,000 a month. I have to sacrifice that too if I accept the university work
Guy! Stay with that secondary school.

1 Like

Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by Dellorex(m): 10:51am On Oct 07, 2020
[quote author=Emir8 post=94674583]Hello Nairalander,

Should I go and become Mr. Lecturer and sacrifice my secondary school benefits?[/quote

Bro your dad is brave. stick with your teaching job.

1 Like

Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by jimcaddy(m): 10:51am On Oct 07, 2020
Stick to the one that pays the most oh. Its all about the money at the end of the day.

1 Like

Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by micflo28(m): 10:52am On Oct 07, 2020
Go for the secondary school. Where is your location
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by harmony75: 10:52am On Oct 07, 2020
you and daddy's right the secondary school job is better.. follow your heart, you're the one wearing the shoe so do what your mind is comfortable with.
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by Langu: 10:52am On Oct 07, 2020
Don't ever use secondary school to compare university. There is no career progression in secondary school. Teaching in the university comes with prestige, good life and better offers especially after getting ur PhD. If I were u, I won't even think about it, even if the sec school is pay me 5times bigger than the University.
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by sylve11: 10:52am On Oct 07, 2020
iaamxavier:
I would advice you go for the lecturing job

There's high chances of salary increment in universities
Also if you know your onions there's also high chances of you becoming a senior lecturer within time

Also you have more time as a lecturer to start up a business to support your self and family

You get to meet a lot of influential people since its a private university
If you behave like the "Nigerian Lecturer" You'll make it big time if you know what I mean grin

Secondary school job isn't secured at all as you can easily be replaced at any slightest issue, But its all about fulfillment. If you feel fulfilled there you can as well stay back

nor mind the op at all. I don't have time to suggest to such people. cool
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by Stanislause94: 10:52am On Oct 07, 2020
Karleb:
Your woman is naive quite alright, but go with the lecturing job.

Lecturing is easier. If you further you'd be surprised in 10 years time you might become the HOD.

From there you could become the Dean and keep growing and growing...

This reminds me of one small school where I taught, the students were not up to 500 and they proprietor had a Dean of studies. gringrin
This one na fool, see Savage reply grin
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by Oizee(f): 10:53am On Oct 07, 2020
I was reading patiently and trying to picture d one to go for, if was in ur shoes den I saw that of ur fiancee threatening u, such audacity, u will be a fool to succumbed to the threat. Dat aside lecturing job is better because of other future benefits it brings, forget d present enjoyment in the school u teach now, we are all working hard towards the future in case we ar gifted with long life. Tell ur girlfriend u won't quit and let's see if she meant it
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by silverkings: 10:53am On Oct 07, 2020
Emir8:

Okay. Thanks
continue with that secondary school, and finish your PhD there. Private unis in Nigeria will frustrate you

1 Like

Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by Alwaysachick: 10:53am On Oct 07, 2020
femi4:
You make more money from lecturing apart from your salary. Go for the lecturing job. You can make as much as N500k from selling textbooks alone

In a private uni? I don't think so
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by turawaa(m): 10:54am On Oct 07, 2020
Bros!
Number one : You are Still Single.

Number Two: Try and sit down with your mum and talk to her with evidences you might pick from people here not to get her angry. Mother happiness matters.

Number Three: I will choose Secondary School 100 times over Private University. Who told you gonna lecture on getting to that university?? Bro you gonna do errand boy for years.

In that secondary school, you've already gain some ground that going for Msc, PhD won't be problem or becoming vice principal...

Please Don't forget to Softly Explain to your Mum when you eventually choose the Secondary school.
I don't abuse Women but Remember you are Single and keep Searching.
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by javaguru: 10:54am On Oct 07, 2020
y u apply for the lecturing job if u weren't ready.
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by Saig: 10:54am On Oct 07, 2020
Emir8:
Hello Nairalander,

Salary may seem meager right now, but lecturing is more prestigious and can propel you to higher launchings and opportunities. Quit secondary school for first graduates. Atmosphere of the university is different. You study, do research and improve yourself and the society but you are limited in secondary school...to same topics and syllabus. Respect in the University will even be different from secondary school.
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by Poloyanabo2(m): 10:57am On Oct 07, 2020
Emir8:
Hello Nairalander,

She'll quit the relationship over material things?
"These hoes ain't loyal"
Ogbeni remain with the secondary shool biko...
Man up!
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by Emrief(m): 10:57am On Oct 07, 2020
My brother

I will advice you go for the lecturing job because of career progression. More so, you can also switch in future to either State or Federal university once you have gained some level of experience and qualification.
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by na2016: 10:58am On Oct 07, 2020
Emir8:
Hello Nairalander,

I will not tell you which job to pick but if you read through my message, you will see the answer. You can be sacked from a private University at anytime. I can also tell you the reason people are establishing private universities here and there; it is because the money paid lecturers even with a PhD is not big and when a student pays over a million/year, the management can easily make profit. Be critical in your decision, where do you intend to be in the next 5 years? Still teaching at a private school and doing private lessons? Lastly, it is only your parents that will stand by you when things go south so think well and make the decision. Best of luck
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by Saig: 10:59am On Oct 07, 2020
Emir8:

Here is the time schedule:

Secondary school: 8:00AM - 4:00PM
University: 8:00AM - 6:00PM

I used to teach some Lebanese and Pakistanis children private lessons from 4:30 to 6:30 in which I make up to N58,000 a month. I have to sacrifice that too if I accept the university work
Sacrifice NOW for a better tomorrow, man! will you teach the Pakistani and Lebanese children forever? Go to where will give you more opportunities later on.

By the way, did somebody apply for the lecturing job for you and brought the employment letter to you that you are now finding it difficult to decide
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by Laboni: 10:59am On Oct 07, 2020
Continue with the private secondary school, get your PhD and then maybe apply for lecturing job in a public University. Don’t fall for the offer in private University, you will regret it. Also the lady threatening to quit the relationship if you don’t accept the private university offer, let her go ahead, she isn’t your wife because this kind of woman will dump you once you encounter any difficulty in life if you eventually marry her. Also listen to your father, it’s very important.
Re: Secondary School Teaching Vs Lecturing: Which Of These Two Jobs Should I Choose? by Hectarus(m): 10:59am On Oct 07, 2020
Emir8:
Hello Nairalander,

I had to log in for a major reason.
To correct the impression that being a University Lecturer will make you rich or better.
First of al congratulations on your offer
Now here are my opinions
Since its a private University they may start with you as a GA or AL.
Now if youre in that level within 3-4 years you must have a PhD or be prepared to face an uncertain future.
If I were you, I would stay in the Secondary School, work towards getting a PhD and get a better bargaining leverage.
My friend was in Igbinedion for 3 years with a PhD in Engineering. The thing wey man eye see, mouth no go fit talk am.
Salary was irregular, job insecurity, etc.

I wish you well

As for your fiancee, if she was meant for you she'll abide by any decision you make.
Regards

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

PHED Office Uyo Laced With Juju As Staffs Dessert Office(picture) / Men Are Subject To Sexual Harassment At Work More Often Than We Think!!! / Lady Sacked For Refusing To Say Good Morning To Her Co-Worker

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.