Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,747 members, 7,817,061 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:19 AM

My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help (43019 Views)

Meet The White Britons Who Cannot Read Or Write In English / Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education / Should I Continue With Mathematics Or Write JAMB To Study Computer Science? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by udomma1005(m): 4:54am On Oct 23, 2020
First thing first, tell the mom to stop the heck beating the child, she been Sabi write @3yrs?
Teaching takes love, patience & time to achieve required results. Most are slow learners but that does not mean they don't excel in life. You stated that you have bought videos, nice. Do get the ones with cartoon characters and simple rhymes, your child will it like mine does, cheers! cool
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by Richy4(m): 5:43am On Oct 23, 2020
What is wrong with this OP? I wish I can just see you and tell you what I thought of you...

How does it even feel when you were typing this nonsense that a 3 year old can't read?...

Instead of buying picture books and asking him/her to identify the object.. or do some coloring.... anyways, i don't blame you..... because I believe some parents here will tell you how their kids or neighbors' kids passed WAEC while they were 8months and how they graduated from Oxford university at 12... undecided Mchtttwwwwwwww!!

8 Likes

Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by franklingud(m): 6:30am On Oct 23, 2020
When you was his age could you read and write anything at all?

1 Like

Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by KingMack(m): 7:03am On Oct 23, 2020
Oga be calming down...the boy is jus two years remove that one year which is 2020 because Na one the most useless years. See Coro Coro and now End SARS whalla the year don go sad

1 Like

Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by Darsh123: 7:58am On Oct 23, 2020
Its a gradual process madam, don't be too harsh towards him
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by bobbybrown007: 9:18am On Oct 23, 2020
My guy, dnt be angry ehn. you see training of a child is very hard and also very easy to do, a child might nt no a to z instantly. Learn the (swot) of the child and you will thank me after.
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by Chiebunigom1(f): 10:02am On Oct 23, 2020
@Op, in addition to what others had posted.
My second son at three couldn't write the normal A B C's but had a firm grip of the pencil. He wasn't a talker at that age. His teacher even told me my son needed spiritual help and you needed to see how I told her off.

I had to withdraw all my kids from the school.
Today he is 8 years, and had been taking overall first position in his set since he was 5 years. He is now in primary 3.
So my dear, calm down for that child, make learning fun and not tasking for him.
Some children like my son and yours are late bloomers.
You would come back later to give testimonies. smiley

4 Likes

Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by Kingdemu: 12:30pm On Oct 23, 2020
Free the kiddo. He's still a child.
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by ise82(m): 12:30pm On Oct 23, 2020
Bring him to Engreg schools at No 24, Bankole Street, Pedro, Somolu, Lagos. Call 08134273596 for more details. Thanks.
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by YoungDaNaval(m): 12:31pm On Oct 23, 2020
Get him a private teacher. I used to be like him. It worked for me
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by Mathantics: 12:33pm On Oct 23, 2020
Put him primary 5
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by thesilentman(m): 12:33pm On Oct 23, 2020
Typing...
There are zillions of factors responsible for a child literacy problems but I just want you to know that there is nothing wrong with your child. All Children cannot cope at the same pace-perhaps you are comparing your child with other highflying kids around you.Stop it.It's not abnormal that he is analphabetic at that age.And i dont think he's subnormal either. I recommend that you engage the service of a one-on-one tutor aside his regular school programmes.
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by okrote4real: 12:33pm On Oct 23, 2020
Children are different and if you are just realising that means you aren't paying attention to the child from the outset.

kenny1111:
Good afternoon everyone,

please I need advice from all parents and Educators and parents on Nairanland. today I just realized my 3years old son cant even read Letters A to F talk less of A to Z but can read Figure 1 to 10, I am seriously worried.

I don't stay at home except for weekends as I am working outside my state, but due to the curfew I find my way back home yesterday so I was able to discover this problem in the early hours of today.

I know the mother is trying cos I have seen different live videos where she was teaching him and working on his assignment, most times I pity the boy so much because of the beating from his mum alone makes me sick but I can't really complain since I know is for his own good and I know how stressful it is for a mother with 2 kids to manage her time and all that....

I called his teacher immediately and she told me my son will be going to Nursery class when the present term is over due to his age, sadly she didn't say things I expect to hear from her so I told her I will visit the school once the curfew is over, I need explanation, is private school that bad these days ? my son can't even write 2 and 3

I have bought Video CD, bought many play book materials containing letters and figures displayed boldly, I bought counting and so on when he was 2 years so i expect a better result by now.

pls sir and ma, I need help on how to guide this boy to learn better, what should I do and how should I go about it.

Note: any time I am home, I always go through his books, assignments and read his school rhymes for him.

pls Help

concerned Daddy
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by dfrost: 12:34pm On Oct 23, 2020
osuulola:
Please,

Stop stressing the boy. He's a child. He is not writing common entrance tomorrow morning. He doesn't have WAEC exams next week.
It's okay for him to be lazy at holding pencil. In fact, his fingers muscles are strained holding them. Let him go to school to play. Make learning at home fun for him.
He'd make a professor, don't worry but just not at the age of five. Give him at least twenty more years.

As in I don't understand the rush. angry

My kids will watch Tom & Jerry, Danger Mouse, Ballerina et al till 6 years. Let them enjoy their childhood. Where on earth are we rushing these young ones to? angry

9 Likes

Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by BigDawsNet: 12:34pm On Oct 23, 2020
Its not a serious issue
Its not too late

Apart from school lesson
Get him or her a personal home tutor..

Someone who is ready to work to help ur kid not after money...

And the most important pray for ur kid

You will definitely be proud of ur kid soon and forever

God bless your kid
God bless your family
God bless the federal republic of nigeria
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by lanetrips: 12:34pm On Oct 23, 2020
Please take it easy on the child.He is probably suffering from dyslexia. Google up some more about it.There is a way to resolve it and that child will be great in Future In Jesus mighty name

quote author=kenny1111 post=95210489]Good afternoon everyone,

please I need advice from all parents and Educators and parents on Nairanland. today I just realized my 3years old son cant even read Letters A to F talk less of A to Z but can read Figure 1 to 10, I am seriously worried.

I don't stay at home except for weekends as I am working outside my state, but due to the curfew I find my way back home yesterday so I was able to discover this problem in the early hours of today.

I know the mother is trying cos I have seen different live videos where she was teaching him and working on his assignment, most times I pity the boy so much because of the beating from his mum alone makes me sick but I can't really complain since I know is for his own good and I know how stressful it is for a mother with 2 kids to manage her time and all that....

I called his teacher immediately and she told me my son will be going to Nursery class when the present term is over due to his age, sadly she didn't say things I expect to hear from her so I told her I will visit the school once the curfew is over, I need explanation, is private school that bad these days ? my son can't even write 2 and 3

I have bought Video CD, bought many play book materials containing letters and figures displayed boldly, I bought counting and so on when he was 2 years so i expect a better result by now.

pls sir and ma, I need help on how to guide this boy to learn better, what should I do and how should I go about it.

Note: any time I am home, I always go through his books, assignments and read his school rhymes for him.

pls Help

concerned Daddy[/quote]
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by TONIOI: 12:34pm On Oct 23, 2020
wait for the right time for God sake, 3 yrs old ? haba , u want to damage the memory card in dat child's head, calm down ooO e never reach, dont force dat child yet plz .

1 Like

Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by sammy7410(m): 12:34pm On Oct 23, 2020
Maybe is on something

Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by Godpikin4real(f): 12:35pm On Oct 23, 2020
When u were his age, were u able 2 do all u just mentioned? I beg, free d young lad jooor. When itz time, he'll do and even outsmart others.
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by gbami(m): 12:35pm On Oct 23, 2020
Kingdemi212019:
Your pikin don choose watin go benefit am in life ,he came to the world to count money not to speak grammars
God Bless You My Brother...Who Grammar Help!
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by abescom: 12:36pm On Oct 23, 2020
Don't worry yourself too much. Provided he is talking and communicative nothing to worry about.

My daughter was like that not too long ago. I had to change her school ( you should too if you think it is the school ) but generally some kids to pick until they are four plus.
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by Nobody: 12:36pm On Oct 23, 2020
Children's development defers, just calm down and keep teaching him...not a biggie pls calm down and keep praying
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by asasegun: 12:36pm On Oct 23, 2020
Were you able to read and write at 3yrs. Don't do undue comparison.
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by tot(f): 12:36pm On Oct 23, 2020
Please please please, ask your wife to stop beating the child. It's unfair for a 3 year old to be subjected to such.
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by weslay: 12:36pm On Oct 23, 2020
Everyone one wakes up at different times. Leave the Kid alone.

My younger sister had the same issue in her early years. No matter what my parents did she did not improve, so they left her alone. Today she is a Medical student.

1 Like

Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by Hamzashaf99(f): 12:37pm On Oct 23, 2020
My son can't even speak well and he's also 3 years old. Let him be. Just continue teaching him. No stress the pikin abeg.pp
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by Nobody: 12:37pm On Oct 23, 2020
change his school, the teacher may be incompetent and uncaring.
Also take it easy on the tod. feed him well with protein and don't pamper him too much, make him feel ashamed of not knowing, it will motivate him.
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by Hier(m): 12:37pm On Oct 23, 2020
There is nothing wrong with your boy. My niece also had the same issue back then, yea, not the schools fault, the teachers can't examine all the students. All they can do is teach them to trace letters and help them to write it while holding their hands. My point is, I really don't think there is anything wrong. Believe me, and those saying maybe he is a special one thing. That one too na lie. Just give the child some break, show him love, take him to Mr Biggs, let him spend some time with you and don't get to concern about him not able to read those letters. You know, maybe the child head dey over heat, school go teach them, then bombard them with assignment. Leave him to go and play in the neighborhood small sir. Free the boy, you sound like he is in a cage, mumsy biting him because he can't do this and that, let the boy have some breathing space small, then start teaching him again, but be sensitive to him, know how long he is willing to be around books, you can buy him things like biscuit so learn become MORE FUN than stressful or BURDENSOME

4 Likes

Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by Chukwudi4naija(m): 12:37pm On Oct 23, 2020
Calm down. Let the child develop at his own pace. Started primary school at 6 with no knowledge aside eating akpu, but today, I possess a Master's degree with good grade.

2 Likes

Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by Nobody: 12:37pm On Oct 23, 2020
How is that alarming?
Give your son attention and he'll learn.
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by shiwex: 12:37pm On Oct 23, 2020
Find out if he is Autistic. He might be on ASD spectrum. Is he verbal?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Beautiful South African Lady Celebrates Herself As She Became A Private Pilot / Pandemonium In Edo Following Discovery Of Grave Inside Classroom / Meet Engr Dr. Francisca Nwafulugo, Anambra Woman Of The Year, 2020

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.