Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,207 members, 7,822,068 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 05:32 AM

My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help - Education (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help (43067 Views)

Meet The White Britons Who Cannot Read Or Write In English / Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education / Should I Continue With Mathematics Or Write JAMB To Study Computer Science? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by Nobody: 8:19pm On Oct 23, 2020
The best school in town may not be the best for your child

1 Like

Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by Kissup(f): 8:32pm On Oct 23, 2020
I am not sure he as learning disability. Same thing with my son now he can write 1-20.A-p.
grandstar:

I know a boy who read an entire chapter in the Bible just before he turned 4 as an assignment in my congregation from the platform and he did it brilliantly.

Kids develop differently. Also, he may have a learning disability. See an educator to discern.

They shouldn't be too hard on him lest he becomes painfully shy and inadequate when he grows up (Collosian 3:21). That is worse than the present problem

kenny1111
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by ciro11(m): 8:40pm On Oct 23, 2020
kenny1111:
Good afternoon everyone,

please I need advice from all parents and Educators and parents on Nairanland. today I just realized my 3years old son cant even read Letters A to F talk less of A to Z but can read Figure 1 to 10, I am seriously worried.

I don't stay at home except for weekends as I am working outside my state, but due to the curfew I find my way back home yesterday so I was able to discover this problem in the early hours of today.

I know the mother is trying cos I have seen different live videos where she was teaching him and working on his assignment, most times I pity the boy so much because of the beating from his mum alone makes me sick but I can't really complain since I know is for his own good and I know how stressful it is for a mother with 2 kids to manage her time and all that....

I called his teacher immediately and she told me my son will be going to Nursery class when the present term is over due to his age, sadly she didn't say things I expect to hear from her so I told her I will visit the school once the curfew is over, I need explanation, is private school that bad these days ? my son can't even write 2 and 3

I have bought Video CD, bought many play book materials containing letters and figures displayed boldly, I bought counting and so on when he was 2 years so i expect a better result by now.

pls sir and ma, I need help on how to guide this boy to learn better, what should I do and how should I go about it.

Note: any time I am home, I always go through his books, assignments and read his school rhymes for him.

pls Help

concerned Daddy

Just get him a very colourful and beautiful book that teaches letters and numbers and watch how he would quickly learn on his own.
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by LadySarah: 8:59pm On Oct 23, 2020
Bagehot:

Bruh! I do the same with my son, and his vocabulary and logic is pretty sharp. How would anyone expect a 3 year to be reading competently for God's sake?

Blame the min of education that doesn't even know their job. If they did they should be closing schools that teach children below 4 anything other than shapes, colors ,animals and environment . Even my son in daycare comes home with homework and I do it myself. I do it until they r 3yrs of age. Yet by 5yrs they read, write and do their homeworks with minimal input from me cos they are mentally ready.

Just imagine at 3 the amt of materials the op has already bought for the child. To learn what?

My own is that I have already forewarned them not to even chastise my children cos of it or tell me how their mates are already writing Cambridge exams at 4.

If not for work, they won't smell anything called school till 3yrs old.

1 Like

Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by vickydevoka(m): 9:09pm On Oct 23, 2020
Kingdemi212019:
Your pikin don choose watin go benefit am in life ,he came to the world to count money not to speak grammars
Loool. Funniest n realest comment on nairaland
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by kareemkamil(m): 9:12pm On Oct 23, 2020
Send him or her for protest
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by vickydevoka(m): 9:23pm On Oct 23, 2020
Look out for , dysgraphia, dyslexia n autism (which can be corrected at Early stage)
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by doctorbrainy(f): 9:29pm On Oct 23, 2020
Well children differ and should not be compare but rather understood. To help your (1) from what under stand beating may not help him so stop beating him (2) he will learn well under love and care (3) when you held his hand to write first write a whole page holding his hand pronouncing the letter and asking him to say after you in a playfull manner (4) on the next page hold his hand slightly allowing him to write and adjusting slightly this is to boost his confidence. If you apply this within a week there should be improvement. Only teach him to write lower case letter a or upper case depending on what they teach him in his school. For numbering figure one. Let me know if you need more of that tip
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by Ojugunrege(f): 9:29pm On Oct 23, 2020
kenny1111:
Good afternoon everyone,

please I need advice from all parents and Educators and parents on Nairanland. today I just realized my 3years old son cant even read Letters A to F talk less of A to Z but can read Figure 1 to 10, I am seriously worried.

I don't stay at home except for weekends as I am working outside my state, but due to the curfew I find my way back home yesterday so I was able to

concerned Daddy

He's just a child o. Please stop beating him. Ah! You started worrying the child about academics too early.
My first child started school at 2 years & 11 months. This covid-19 has also been a blessing for my toddler. He's 2 years & 6 months now and not in any school yet. Till next year by God's grace.

Take it easy on the child. He's not a slow learner. Small, small o.
You have gotten plenty good advice here already.

All ye people saying, he should be reading a-z and counting up to 100 at 3 years, e de beru Oloun shocked
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by numen(m): 9:32pm On Oct 23, 2020
Download Chu Chu TV cartoons on Youtube and play it for him on the TV constantly. You'll see results.

kenny1111:
Good afternoon everyone,

I don't stay at home except for weekends as I am working outside my state, but due to the curfew I find my way back home yesterday so I was able to discover this problem in the early hours of today.

I know the mother is trying cos I have seen different live videos where she was teaching him and working on his assignment, most times I pity the boy so much because of the beating from his mum alone makes me sick but I can't really complain since I know is for his own good and I know how stressful it is for a mother with 2 kids to manage her time and all that....

I called his teacher immediately and she told me my son will be going to Nursery class when the present term is over due to his age, sadly she didn't say things I expect to hear from her so I told her I will visit the school once the curfew is over, I need explanation, is private school that bad these days ? my son can't even write 2 and 3

I have bought Video CD, bought many play book materials containing letters and figures displayed boldly, I bought counting and so on when he was 2 years so i expect a better result by now.

pls sir and ma, I need help on how to guide this boy to learn better, what should I do and how should I go about it.

Note: any time I am home, I always go through his books, assignments and read his school rhymes for him.

pls Help

concerned Daddy
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by doctorbrainy(f): 9:35pm On Oct 23, 2020
doctorbrainy:
Well children differ and should not be compare but rather understood. To help your son(1) from what understand beating may not help him so stop beating him (2) he will learn well under love and care (3) when you hold his hand to write first write a whole page holding his hand pronouncing the letter and asking him to say after you in a playfull manner (4) on the next page hold his hand slightly allowing him to write and adjusting slightly this is to boost his confidence. If you apply this within a week there should be improvement. Only teach him to write lower case letter a or upper case depending on what they teach him in his school. For numbering figure one alone will. Let me know if you need more of that tip
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by AlphaT1(m): 9:59pm On Oct 23, 2020
kenny1111:
Good afternoon everyone,

pls Help

concerned Daddy
3yr old pikin and you de give yourself unnecessary headache. My boy is 4 years. Na catoon e de watch. I am not bothered one bit. Grade 1 na 6yrs.
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by queenblossom(f): 10:26pm On Oct 23, 2020
kenny1111:
Good afternoon everyone,

pls Help

concerned Daddy

Stop disturbing yourself and the baby. He is still a baby , allow him to enjoy his adultescent life na. He will read when he grow up
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by Nikkygold4life(f): 10:45pm On Oct 23, 2020
Op i can relate, check my thread too
How Can I Help My 3year Old To Identify Letters And Numbers
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by Smartrock: 10:53pm On Oct 23, 2020
Sir, pleas get a private tutor for him, we have experienced instances like this and have been able to help the kids learn faster. It is very affordable

You can reach out to us on 08154382001
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by Dameland: 11:40pm On Oct 23, 2020
kenny1111:
Good afternoon everyone,

pls Help

concerned Daddy

Hian? Do 3 year old read and write? In Europe they go to nursery to play. They actually start learning to read and write when they turn 6.
Please leave the child alone Jo, what is wrong with you sef?
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by Freddie007: 12:50am On Oct 24, 2020
OGA ASK YOUR PERENTS WHEN YOU START SCHOOL.
DONT BE WICKED TO THAT LITTLE BOY. MOST OF US DOING WELL IN LIFE TODAY WERE TAG DUMBASS. LET HIM BE BIKO.

kenny1111:
Good afternoon everyone,

pls Help

concerned Daddy
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by patomberekpe(m): 1:08am On Oct 24, 2020
[quote author=kenny1111 post=95210489]Good afternoon everyone,

pls Help

Good Morning, contact me I'll give You idea with proof and video,I have a 3yr boy As At 2yr he Can read ABC to Z
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by grandstar(m): 1:18am On Oct 24, 2020
Kissup:
I am not sure he as learning disability. Same thing with my son now he can write 1-20.A-p.

I didn't talk till I was 4years old. I was also an average student in secondary school.

Yet I got 5 A's in both my GCE and WAEC. I got an F9 in biology and that's because I hated biology, only reading one page of my biology textbook.

What a child needs is lots of love and discipline. Discipline does not mean caning as most people assume.

The psalmist said, "Your rod and staff they comfort me". If rod stood for caning, would the writer have said such? Rather, it stands for guidance.

1 Like

Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by Onyxnaija: 1:38am On Oct 24, 2020
What a shame! How much reading and writing could you do when you were three? Assignment?! Give me a break please.
What you’ll end up doing is inflicting psychological trauma on that young child, and put him off reading and writing for life. He’ll associate studying with being yelled at / hit and that will not serve him or you well. Also you’re shattering his confidence, opening him up to a life of misery. At the age of 3, that child should be allowed to be a child. Concentrate more on his social skills and reassuring him of your support through life’s journey. He will eventually learn the school stuff. Be more vigilant to raise a happy and content child, that’ll not be a burden to you or society but make positive contributions to his generation. The world is already filled with many bitter / angry people, please start your child’s journey through life on a positive note. Hitting a 3 year old for any reason is unacceptable period!!!!!
Borrow sense Abeg!!!!!
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by heilige(m): 2:18am On Oct 24, 2020
Una dey traumatize the boy. Wetin concern 3yr old with ABC? Una not fit force am, the child still small. Take it very easy on the guy. I beg forward us the videos and you wife molesting the boy.
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by bumzzy(f): 3:51am On Oct 24, 2020
Pls stop traumatizing the child. The more u beat at this age, the more scare he gets and the less the learns. He will be associating learning with pains and trauma and assimilate NOTHING!!! At the stage, learning should be with fun and games
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by bumzzy(f): 3:52am On Oct 24, 2020
PS you and your wife need to be reported for child.abuse. SARS no do pass this one

1 Like

Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by romunu(m): 4:33am On Oct 24, 2020
It’s normal he will pick up later,it happens at times,the boy even try sef, our time no be 6yrs we start school,he is just 3yrs old he don de go school,Oga abeg it’s ok,don’t fret.
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by Mycommand: 8:30am On Oct 24, 2020
Looking at your writings, you are a bad writer! I am not going to pinpoint the areas you presented your "wordy" explanation of what your so called experience or worry is with a child that is just 3 years old! What is wrong with you and the mother of this innocent child? In case you do not know, children learn at different pace, even adults do! So, what is your problem? The mother of your child should be answering questions by now from "children protective services" agency if things were working well in that country for beating up a child that is just 3 years old for an alleged inability to read "letters of the alphabets." This is an abuse of a very young child. Do you know about psychologists and counselors? Try one of those to ascertain if the child have a learning disability at some point, precisely at ages 7 through 8 and not at the age your child is now. Children in ages 1 through 3 are toddlers! Expect them to go through a lot of intellectual, emotional and social changes during this passing period.

kenny1111:
Good afternoon everyone,

pls Help

concerned Daddy
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by rayval(m): 10:47am On Oct 24, 2020
Do not damage that boy oo. He is just 3. I personally will not subject my kid to any form of education until he is 5. He will need to grow first. Let him be free. I would personally monitor him and see his likes and then help channel his energy. And not forcing things on him.
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by mrde(m): 3:08pm On Oct 24, 2020
kenny1111:
Good afternoon everyone,

pls Help

concerned Daddy
My son is 3 years too and it's totally normal. He'll pick up.
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by Chizim1: 12:48pm On Oct 25, 2020
kenny1111:
Good afternoon everyone,

pls Help

concerned Daddy
my son was like that when he was 3yr, but today the story is different he can read and write very well he's in primary4.l was surprised when he told me that he's lesson teacher gave them primary six script and he answered most of the questions. my advice for you is to go to the school to report his challenge so that they can work on him, because that is what I did. l wish you good luck
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by Nobody: 6:32pm On Oct 25, 2020
LadyJasper:

Are you for real? You're talking about shaming a 3yrs old kid here on top what? Tomorrow we would complain that the child has self esteem issues or suffers from depression!

if you make your child proud of his failures, then bear the consequences alone and stop disturbing us. A child that is ashamed of failure will certainly do better. when we were kids, our parents will laugh at us and make us the subject in the home when we bring a bad report card home. to prevent this we had to work hard.
you can pamper your child on top of failure, that's your business.
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by Mandy1414: 9:01pm On Oct 26, 2020
Good day Sir.
How is your 3 year old doing?
Please don't be hard on your child
He is only 3 years.
Please don't get it twisted
Some children can read 2 or 3 phonetics comfortably.
If your child can't, then it might be the method of teaching or the child has not been given much attention.
Please appreciate his strength and work on his weakness.
If you are hard on him, trust me his strength might turn to his weakness and he will withdraw.
You will not like that at all.

Playing videos for him when he is yet to understand the basics of reading will lead to rot learning.

I am an educator. Feel free to send a whatapps chat to me. I can be of help 0eight0five6eight5five2two7
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by Ay04z(m): 9:14pm On Nov 01, 2020
I can't read shingbai till i reach. 5. I can't even understand how i start reading self. Leave d boy. He will sabi book on d long run
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by incogni2o: 12:29pm On Jan 10, 2021
Ladipodeal:

My boy not a talker yet but seem quite intelligent. Struggles to muster some word but understands well and runs errands. Won't accept cheating from his older ones and seem to know what he want (cloth, shoes, bag, food) at his age.

Hi, Have you taken him to see the Doctor and what are you currently doing to improve his talking.

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

List Of Words To Use Instead Of "Very" / Ali Shuaibu Baba, First Class Computer Science Graduate Who Slaughters Chickens / Rain Destroys Mast At The University Of Ibadan (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 118
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.