Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,620 members, 7,813,037 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:27 AM

My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help - Education (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help (42983 Views)

Meet The White Britons Who Cannot Read Or Write In English / Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education / Should I Continue With Mathematics Or Write JAMB To Study Computer Science? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by KlausMichaelson: 5:37pm On Oct 23, 2020
kenny1111:
Good afternoon everyone,

please I need advice from all parents and Educators and parents on Nairanland. today I just realized my 3years old son cant even read Letters A to F talk less of A to Z but can read Figure 1 to 10, I am seriously worried.

I don't stay at home except for weekends as I am working outside my state, but due to the curfew I find my way back home yesterday so I was able to discover this problem in the early hours of today.

I know the mother is trying cos I have seen different live videos where she was teaching him and working on his assignment, most times I pity the boy so much because of the beating from his mum alone makes me sick but I can't really complain since I know is for his own good and I know how stressful it is for a mother with 2 kids to manage her time and all that....

I called his teacher immediately and she told me my son will be going to Nursery class when the present term is over due to his age, sadly she didn't say things I expect to hear from her so I told her I will visit the school once the curfew is over, I need explanation, is private school that bad these days ? my son can't even write 2 and 3

I have bought Video CD, bought many play book materials containing letters and figures displayed boldly, I bought counting and so on when he was 2 years so i expect a better result by now.

pls sir and ma, I need help on how to guide this boy to learn better, what should I do and how should I go about it.

Note: any time I am home, I always go through his books, assignments and read his school rhymes for him.

pls Help

concerned Daddy

I couldn't read or write when I was 6 years old. I combined English and Igbo whenever I spoke those days cos I was brought to Lagos from the village. I could barely master A,B,C,D and Co.
Dad had to get a teacher to take me after school lessons. The teacher was so patient with me. Along the line as at primary2 I was already topping the class that I was given a double promotion to Primary4.

Here I am today, the best Student of my level in the University, not to mention the number of awards I got while in secondary school.

Be patient with your boy and get him a very patient teacher.
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by Nobody: 5:38pm On Oct 23, 2020
Mrsoft3:
Oh sorry sir you are facing this, but you shouldn't worry much,my thoughts was he doesn't read and write at all. Any child that is good with numbers is a smart child,am not saying this to pacify you am only saying the truth. He is still very young. Tell the mum to ease up on the beating,she should talk with him more,get educational cartoons. Observe him for now what are his interest,that way you can help navigate alphabets. Don't be worried it doesn't call for alarm. This children are smart than you think. Don't be surprised he even reads and write elsewhere. But observe his interest and see how you can incorporate the alphabets there.

My son is 3 as well, and cannot read nor write. For God's sake, a 3 year should ideally just be starting school, so why is your wife beating him for something that is out of his control? You risk doing great damage to his self-esteem before he has even had a chance to grow into his own. In most western countries, he cant even start school till he is 4 years old. At his age, your priority should be him knowing parts of his body, expressing himself confidently, identifying shapes & colours, and singing nursery rhymes.

If you hear my son speak, you would be astonished. His vocabulary is pretty impressive - even the estate security know him. All of his words, he has picked from conversations with his parents, and Youtube for Kids. And thats really the way its meant to be at 3. Most kids can't even speak properly till they are 2+, and you want your wife to kill your 3-year-old with beating over maths and reading Na wa ooo.
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by Nobody: 5:41pm On Oct 23, 2020
LadySarah:

keep quiet!
Every child learn at their own pace! If you aren't a parent just shut it instead of making this op feel something is wrong with the child.

nothing is wrong with that child. he isn't a slow learner and he isn't anything. he is a child and should be allowed to learn at their pace.

My children at 3plus can't write anything but check back at 4plus and see them reading literature .Theyd always look me in the face and say I don't want to write anything and go back to playing.
Playing is fundamental to a child's mental development.

you the father should engage him and plz play with him. Talk about his favourite cartoon or game of interest and infuse it in what you want to teach them . If you shout or flog you instil fear in them and the aim is defeated. I gist pjmasks, Messi goes to Okido,word world and others and before you know it I divert to numbers and letters. It piques their interest and makes teaching easy for me.

If it is1 or 2 letters that was learnt in a day, praise him and repeat again 2moro.

Again, nothing is wrong with him. you ppl should stop stressing him. Don't listen to those who tell you that their 2 yr olds are already writing up-to 500.

I'm Owlette while my learner is Catboy. lol

Bruh! I do the same with my son, and his vocabulary and logic is pretty sharp. How would anyone expect a 3 year to be reading competently for God's sake?

1 Like

Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by sleam: 5:42pm On Oct 23, 2020
IamAsiri:

I am really scared that I might instilled that fear in my kid. Is there a way to undo it? Please help. He gets scared whenever he wants to do his assignments. He has nearly the same issues that the OP's child too has and is already 4.

Please advise.

Encourage him and then give him rewards whenever he does his assignment. If you can't teach him gently then let him be. Stop beating or threatening the child, it causes more harm than good. Also educational materials help a lot, if you can afford them, buy them. Find ways to play with him also, play helps develop the brain too
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by pedi(m): 5:51pm On Oct 23, 2020
kenny1111:
Good afternoon everyone,

please I need advice from all parents and Educators and parents on Nairanland. today I just realized my 3years old son cant even read Letters A to F talk less of A to Z but can read Figure 1 to 10, I am seriously worried.

I don't stay at home except for weekends as I am working outside my state, but due to the curfew I find my way back home yesterday so I was able to discover this problem in the early hours of today.

I know the mother is trying cos I have seen different live videos where she was teaching him and working on his assignment, most times I pity the boy so much because of the beating from his mum alone makes me sick but I can't really complain since I know is for his own good and I know how stressful it is for a mother with 2 kids to manage her time and all that....

I called his teacher immediately and she told me my son will be going to Nursery class when the present term is over due to his age, sadly she didn't say things I expect to hear from her so I told her I will visit the school once the curfew is over, I need explanation, is private school that bad these days ? my son can't even write 2 and 3

I have bought Video CD, bought many play book materials containing letters and figures displayed boldly, I bought counting and so on when he was 2 years so i expect a better result by now.

pls sir and ma, I need help on how to guide this boy to learn better, what should I do and how should I go about it.

Note: any time I am home, I always go through his books, assignments and read his school rhymes for him.

pls Help

concerned Daddy
Your own na joke u no how old was I before I learn how to read and write?
I was in primary 4 still could not read until the repeated me back to primary 2 and I change school before I pick up!!! So no stress that boi abeg
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by IamAsiri: 5:52pm On Oct 23, 2020
sleam:

Encourage him and then give him rewards whenever he does his assignment. If you can't teach him gently then let him be. Stop beating or threatening the child, it causes more harm than good. Also educational materials help a lot, if you can afford them, buy them. Find ways to play with him also, play helps develop the brain too

Okay, thanks smiley
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by PresidentJosh20(m): 5:53pm On Oct 23, 2020
Richy4:

My brother, I didn't mean to be hash on the OP but the whole thing is really annoying.. a 3 year old toddler to read fluently? I don't just get it..

Maybe, I should have typed that I was shocked that he can't read at his age .. and probably add that all his age mates were in 2level in university.. and finally sympathise with him that it is well. God is in control.. smiley
;DLol.You are still funny.All the same,the undeniable fact of his unnecessary panic is that he wants his boy to make him a proud father.One love,Boss!
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by McTobe(m): 5:57pm On Oct 23, 2020
Please let Children be children, let him learn at his own pace. While you teach him observe him closely in other activities your child is fine and will probably amaze you in the coming years. What he needs is good example from you and live, let intellectual development set in at its time
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by Annychibest(f): 6:02pm On Oct 23, 2020
There's nothing to worry about. He is just 3 years. Keep teaching him, he will pick up. It's nothing serious..
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by ngelbee(f): 6:03pm On Oct 23, 2020
Mrsoft3:
Oh sorry sir you are facing this, but you shouldn't worry much,my thoughts was he doesn't read and write at all. Any child that is good with numbers is a smart child,am not saying this to pacify you am only saying the truth. He is still very young. Tell the mum to ease up on the beating,she should talk with him more,get educational cartoons. Observe him for now what are his interest,that way you can help navigate alphabets. Don't be worried it doesn't call for alarm. This children are smart than you think. Don't be surprised he even reads and write elsewhere. But observe his interest and see how you can incorporate the alphabets there.
swear say you sabi read and write and 3 years old...Ogah no worry that pikin again oo,we dey cry for end SARS you dey worry for pikin wey still dey too young...
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by ngelbee(f): 6:04pm On Oct 23, 2020
Mrsoft3:
Oh sorry sir you are facing this, but you shouldn't worry much,my thoughts was he doesn't read and write at all. Any child that is good with numbers is a smart child,am not saying this to pacify you am only saying the truth. He is still very young. Tell the mum to ease up on the beating,she should talk with him more,get educational cartoons. Observe him for now what are his interest,that way you can help navigate alphabets. Don't be worried it doesn't call for alarm. This children are smart than you think. Don't be surprised he even reads and write elsewhere. But observe his interest and see how you can incorporate the alphabets ere.
swear say you sabi read and write at 3 years old...Ogah no worry that pikin again oo,we dey cry for end SARS you dey worry for pikin wey still dey too young...
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by NNAMDIII(m): 6:06pm On Oct 23, 2020
Your pikin be like me, we no like English, na maths dey rush us cheesy
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by Trinitycoy(f): 6:14pm On Oct 23, 2020
kenny1111:
Good afternoon everyone,

pls Help

concerned Daddy

I will not say anything here but we can chat in 08135631994. Pls take it easy with the boy is not his fault
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by MICHEALADEX(m): 6:28pm On Oct 23, 2020
Did your wife visit aso rock at any point before his birth?
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by BlindedIrony(m): 6:32pm On Oct 23, 2020
You are a fool. Do you mean to tell me that you were able to read European alphabetical letters at that age?

Onye iberibe! This is how we indoctrinate these kids into forsaking and despising their mother tongues. The funny part of this is that no matter the english you learn, Europeans and Americans will hardly understand you after you get here. So, why don't you encourage him or her to learn to read and write your native language first?

Perhaps, let him or her learn English when mingling with peers. That is how I can read and write the language today. And, I am better at expressing myself in written Igbo language than the so-called English grammar. Anya ka m noo n'ele gi bu onye nzuzu!
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by Nobody: 6:35pm On Oct 23, 2020
He is a slow learner who will end up being great.

He needs love and support
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by LadySarah: 6:42pm On Oct 23, 2020
IamAsiri:

I am really scared that I might instilled that fear in my kid. Is there a way to undo it? Please help. He gets scared whenever he wants to do his assignments. He has nearly the same issues that the OP's child too has and is already 4.

Please advise.

you ppl have already killed his spirit with your actions and mouth so also use the same mouth to bring him back.

Call him and have a talk with him. First apologise for everything then bring up something you have noticed he likes. Make him very free and relaxed. Assure him that it's OK to make mistakes and that you will help him through it.

Buy a cardboard paper of different colors, cut into squares and largely write nos and alphabets .They are called flashcards.

Playing also helps their brain. Reduce screen time to highest 2 hrs a day. playing should be outdoors where sand is. Playing with him will increase the bonding and make him more free with you.

For everyone he did correctly praise him,hug and give a high 5.If he fails, patiently explain again and guide him.

Don't forget the power of prayer.
Goodluck
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by osuulola(m): 6:51pm On Oct 23, 2020
Premiumwriter:
this is f*cked up.

He should also advise him not to send the boy to school na.

He's schooling without showing any result and you're saying he should let it be?

Have you forgotten that small drops of water makes the ocean or don't you know that learning is a stage by stage thing? Once you start failing it only takes the grace of God to succeed in the next stage.

Oga you are right to be worried. Schooling is not for everybody but this basics one is for everyone. You don't know he's potentials yet, what if in the end, he's certificate is all he will have to depend on?

Go and see his teacher and if you are not satisfied try and change he's school. Try teaching him and all that.

I no follow all this oyibo advice of school is not for everyone or he's just a kid. There are many kids like him who could count and read the alphabet. Those are too basic.

Either he's too playful or

Nice. I'm thinking it if everyone your age is at the same level of supposed success as you. I doubt it. Would you change life or say it's too much playfulness or maybe the teacher isn't good enough?
No. I suppose. A 3 year old may be an active or passive learner yet no matter what school and learning should be fun at this foundation level.
If you've taught this little kids before as I have, you'd know one may learn all the rhymes today and remember nothing the next day and the one who refuse to join yesterday will be the one reminding them but imagine if that reserved child has learnt to scared?
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by Yseone(m): 6:56pm On Oct 23, 2020
I know someone who can right the wrong, though I don't know your location.
But she's good at teaching kids and I bet you, in a month time you will start appreciating your son & her teacher.
kenny1111:
Good afternoon everyone,

pls Help

concerned Daddy
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by LOVEGINO(m): 7:20pm On Oct 23, 2020
daddytime:
Oga, abeg, make you take am easy on that tod.

Apart from the fact say the pikin never even reach age to dey stress unnecessarily over A, B, C, and D sef, you suppose don know say school no be for everybody. Abi you no dey this same world wey we dey live?

You've mentioned how the kid is good with numbers. How about you take that as his forte and encourage him more in that line.

I won't say he could be autistic or a special needs kid yet for a lack of any professional diagnosis, but I'm sure there isn't anything wrong with your son.

You guys need to allow the kid be a kid and quit with the mental, emotional, and physical abuses on such a young fragile mind.
no mind am jare!
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by Shancca: 7:21pm On Oct 23, 2020
kenny1111:
Good afternoon everyone,

pls Help

concerned Daddy

I tire for this post ooo. OP shey u be Shakespeare when u de 3 years? Leave the child abeg.
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by nsiba: 7:24pm On Oct 23, 2020
kenny1111:
Good afternoon everyone,

pls Help

concerned Daddy

Look here Mr Man don't force that child to be like you, because you are lion doesn't mean your child must be one. Go to the Scandinavians and other parts of Europe, a child don't get to start until above 5years of age.
Plz give that child a break he maybe a slow learner and never you dare use any NEGATIVE words on him
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by Onyenna(m): 7:25pm On Oct 23, 2020
IamAsiri:

Please advise.

No matter what happens, don't EVER scold him. He's too young to handle pressure... Start encouraging him. Even if he fails, tell him if he keeps trying, he'll get better. Say it with a little smile on your face. At that age, he needs to know you have his back and you'll help him get better. It's very important to him. Trust me on that.
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by Ollygold(m): 7:29pm On Oct 23, 2020
Madam why worry, go and buy ball for him to become professional footballer afterall footballer no dey go school

He is still young biko.

All these private schools with overstressing kids.

Don't worry he would catch up soon. Some kids are like that. .it would be like magic when he eventually starts writing and identifying letters and numbers. [/quote]
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by chi4ik(m): 7:31pm On Oct 23, 2020
Sir, your concerns are quite genuine!!!
*Case history: does your child use his words to communicate as a 3 years old child should? Can he answer social questions, mand (request) for his desired needs? E.g give me. Can he label items in the environment? Can he call mummy, daddy and sibling's name?

Sir, at 3 years, he should be able to identify and verbally label letters A-Z, numbers 1-20, primary colours and shapes.

If he didn't meet the points listed above, he could be having DEVELOPMENTAL DELAY and I will encourage you to seek for professional help as fast as possible.

A delay is between 2-9 years and anything above 9 years is a disability. In order to avoid this, seek for professional help.

Note: If not intervened early, it might lead to LEARNING DISABILITY which is associated with dyslexia, dysgraphia, discalculia and poor proper use of language.

I'M A SPEECH THERAPIST and you can call me for a professional advice. 08064883627.

I'm based in Abuja.
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by Mrsoft3(m): 7:38pm On Oct 23, 2020
Bagehot:

My son is 3 as well, and cannot read nor write. For God's sake, a 3 year should ideally just be starting school, so why is your wife beating him for something that is out of his control? You risk doing great damage to his self-esteem before he has even had a chance to grow into his own. In most western countries, he cant even start school till he is 4 years old. At his age, your priority should be him knowing parts of his body, expressing himself confidently, identifying shapes & colours, and singing nursery rhymes.

If you hear my son speak, you would be astonished. His vocabulary is pretty impressive - even the estate security know him. All of his words, he has picked from conversations with his parents, and Youtube for Kids. And thats really the way its meant to be at 3. Most kids can't even speak properly till they are 2+, and you want your wife to kill your 3-year-old with beating over maths and reading Na wa ooo.

Eh no be my pikin o, quote op. I just gave him advice. I also said he shouldn't beat the child
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by Mrsoft3(m): 7:39pm On Oct 23, 2020
ngelbee:
swear say you sabi read and write and 3 years old...Ogah no worry that pikin again oo,we dey cry for end SARS you dey worry for pikin wey still dey too young...

Abeg make una quote op,I didn't say anything wrong did I?
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by mukthar2000(m): 7:48pm On Oct 23, 2020
Take it calm with the lilboy, dont rush him pls, And ur present as a parent is very important after the school hours to checkmate his assignment and help him out, but make sure u get him tracing Alphabet text book and phonics books to help tracing any alphabet with a good pronounce.
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by bisiswag(f): 7:55pm On Oct 23, 2020
HeyHey:

@kenny1111
Same thing I was going to say. My boy did not talk at 3years, talkless of read or write anything. Sometimes (not always) this slow pace is common with first borns. Because at 2, my second born can read A-Z, 1-20, identify colours and shapes, sing rhymes and do 2-letter words.

Concerned dad, your worry is valid o. No parent wont be concerned. Here are some tips on what I did
(my boy was 3years and 9months after Nursery 1 but could only identify A-E, 1-8 or so. He could write only 1 and A, anything you ask him to spell na C-U-P, any colour you ask am na blue)

1. I changed his school, the previous school aided his laziness. If he doesnt feel like writing, he wont write (this may not apply to you and xhange of school now is expensive if you consider uniform etc). The teacher writes for him too, shuuu, I ran with my hand and leg o. I put him in a better school, but I DIDNOT repeat his class ie Nursery 1 again, because I believed he will catch up. In that class the kids could spell their names, do basic math + -, write, 1-100, Aa-Zz, copy from board. His dad say, this boy doesnt know 1-20, how do you expect him to cope, the kids in that school are too intelligent for him etc.

2. I reduced how I beat him drastically, because I dey flog faya oo cheesy, his dad will talk "wetin the small pikin know, when you dey flog am like this". I noticed I was not correcting anything, just killing the boy's spirit with each stroke. I go beat am so tey the whole book go soak with cry, because his inability to write and read (which was not his fault) annoyed me, I was an inch close to toxicidity. His crying, distorts his understanding

3. I employed home lesson teachers and I watched their methods. They (the first one was always full of excuses for missing the classes without calls or text sef, I pursue am. Im a mother on a mission, i no get time for "swegbe" levels) never flogged, they employed alot of motivation and sometimes scare (when he starts over familiarity)

4. I bought white board and marker, the teachers taught him with the board and when they werent around, he wrote on the board. The different colour of marker dey sweet am to use.

5. I greet the class teacher once a month with 500 recharge card, she con carry his matter for head. She taught him extra, was more attentive to him. Now, why am I saying this, if you meet his teacher after curfew to query her or ask questions that make her seem incompetent (even if she is), it may backfire. People respond better to encouragement, "Aunty XYZ, I know the calibre of teachers here oo (praise her small, mk all head swell). Please what is going on with my kid?, ehennn okay, what is your system of teaching?, is there a play-away method or any method used to help them remember?? Etc. The answers she gives, may be helpful to your wife in teaching him at home

6. I taught him any day his teachers didnt come like sunday, I used words like "You can do it...", when he does he go reply "I did it" , "Be focused, be bold and be confident in what you know (since he always ask me, mummy "is 2 like this, will D face this side, is this how to etc". I did assignment with him, I didnt leave home work for lesson teacher (teach your own)

7. I got loads of placards, A-Z, 1-100, 2-4 letter words. I played ABC song everyday. I gave him small cane, make he take dey teach him baby (I was surprised at how much he knows).

8. I visited the school atleast once in 2weeks to check their book, ask about their progress. My schedule is flexible, so I go in the morning, spend like 30mins. I once caught him unaware doing spiderman laro kutukutu (very early, dey dirty him clean uniform, he shock when he see my straight face cool, I nearly burst laugh grin

Every child is different, some learn early. Some will get to 4 -5 , 6 sef before them pick up. You just do your path, the day that boy picks he will be super smart because he don get small sense join.

Ps: He is 4years+ now, I spelt CIRCLE wrongly, baba come correct me oo. After 4 month of my "Operation you must pick up".
Now I buy him novels, he dey read to me.
I started with Queen Premier 1, 2. Then I got Peter and Jane series 1a, 1b. The school gave him 3 books from WAP series, then I bought 3 more from book shop. Baba dey read everything as at June/july this year.
He dey solve addition and subtraction unassisted, he doesnt always get the right answer but its always close.
He has started learning time and how to read "my book of bible stories".

The time line : September 2019- date, as at June/july, he had caught up (all that lock down period, I dey fire am back to back. He finish his text book, I bought the next class). When I got lesson teacher, I was a bit relieved too, stress of 2 kids ( I no maid) fit mk person taya, vex dey carry beat these kids.

Concerned Dad, with a little consistency all will be well. That you are worried means you are kuku on the right track. Hope these tips were helpful

Mind you he plays oo. Most evenings, sundays too. He watches NatGeo Wild and JimJam every day for some hours (disney junior sometimes but just Bluey, T.OTS and Puppy Dog Pals, the rest shows are not as educative)
Who are you mama? Lord have mercy,I don see my twinnie oh. Hats off to you. Learnt some new tips. Thanks

1 Like

Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by Ladyvin(f): 7:58pm On Oct 23, 2020
Kingdemi212019:
Your pikin don choose watin go benefit am in life ,he came to the world to count money not to speak grammars

Your mind dey dia

grin
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by IamAsiri: 8:03pm On Oct 23, 2020
LadySarah:

you ppl have already killed his spirit with your actions and mouth so also use the same mouth to bring him back.

Call him and have a talk with him. First apologise for everything then bring up something you have noticed he likes. Make him very free and relaxed. Assure him that it's OK to make mistakes and that you will help him through it.

Buy a cardboard paper of different colors, cut into squares and largely write nos and alphabets .They are called flashcards.

Playing also helps their brain. Reduce screen time to highest 2 hrs a day. playing should be outdoors where sand is. Playing with him will increase the bonding and make him more free with you.

For everyone he did correctly praise him,hug and give a high 5.If he fails, patiently explain again and guide him.

Don't forget the power of prayer.
Goodluck

Hmmm! Thank you ma. I will try the cardboard thing and everything you suggested. God bless you ma.
Re: My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help by supercase1(m): 8:18pm On Oct 23, 2020
LadySarah:

keep quiet!
Every child learn at their own pace! If you aren't a parent just shut it instead of making this op feel something is wrong with the child.

nothing is wrong with that child. he isn't a slow learner and he isn't anything. he is a child and should be allowed to learn at their pace.

My children at 3plus can't write anything but check back at 4plus and see them reading literature .Theyd always look me in the face and say I don't want to write anything and go back to playing.
Playing is fundamental to a child's mental development.

you the father should engage him and plz play with him. Talk about his favourite cartoon or game of interest and infuse it in what you want to teach them . If you shout or flog you instil fear in them and the aim is defeated. I gist pjmasks, Messi goes to Okido,word world and others and before you know it I divert to numbers and letters. It piques their interest and makes teaching easy for me.

If it is1 or 2 letters that was learnt in a day, praise him and repeat again 2moro.

Again, nothing is wrong with him. you ppl should stop stressing him. Don't listen to those who tell you that their 2 yr olds are already writing up-to 500.

I'm Owlette while my learner is Catboy. lol

the guy fit dey carry last for class wey him dey school grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Photos: CGPA Trending On Twitter / Help, I'm Afraid I Could Be Expelled From School After 3 Years / University Of Limpopo Students Walkout Of Exam Hall Over Difficult Questions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 132
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.