Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,453 members, 7,816,050 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:06 AM

Where Do Bullets Go When Fired Straight Into The Air? - Crime (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Where Do Bullets Go When Fired Straight Into The Air? (85451 Views)

300,000 Live Bullets Concealed In Trucks Intercepted By Army In Ogun (Photos) / Stray Bullets Kill UNILAG Final Year Student And Staff In Lagos / Baggers Kill Eiye Cultist In Delta After "Bullets Refused To Enter His Body" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Where Do Bullets Go When Fired Straight Into The Air? by ibuildstuff(m): 8:33pm On Oct 23, 2020
GeneralPula:

Lies.. Air will prevent the bullet from returning to its initial velocity.

Go & watch shooter if you wanna learn about Guns/bullet..
That very true. U can Google it.
Re: Where Do Bullets Go When Fired Straight Into The Air? by Nobody: 8:33pm On Oct 23, 2020
DaFuhrer:

They lie small small abeg....how can an object falling under the influence of gravity travel for 200m/s

It is possible, in d absence of air resistance a body falling under gravity is accelerating, meaning that its speed will keep increasing d longer d distance travelled. In d case of a bullet, because of it's size and shape I assume air resistance would be minimal.

1 Like

Re: Where Do Bullets Go When Fired Straight Into The Air? by Farki: 8:34pm On Oct 23, 2020
ivolt:

Why don't you show us those wounded and killed by bullets? Not another dark video or narration please.

https://twitter.com/afronaijanews/status/1318639081316847616?s=09

I wonder how you expect bright videos when the lights were turned off intentionally to conceal what happened.

Give it a rest your attempts at misinformation won't work.

2 Likes

Re: Where Do Bullets Go When Fired Straight Into The Air? by pozehnani(f): 8:36pm On Oct 23, 2020
Enwhen:

In physics , it is called Maximum height

When the bullet get to the maximum height , it can no longer go upward again , the velocity , the force pushing it upward has exhausted, and the bullet start coming down with no force to cause any damage , even if it lands on your head ...

But most times, those shooting the gun fail to maintain upward position of the gun, as such , it can still be very harmful , mostly for AK47, or M16, which goes a long distance ....e.g , like the incident at Lekki Toll gate , when u look closely to the soldiers shooting at a point , their guns were no facing upward properly , which was the reason those at the far back end were hit by the bullets while those at the front were picking the pellets of the bullets .... If it was done intentionally , is what I can't tell of, becuase it unprofessional for soldiers to shoot in such way after enough range training exercises...

For police , they are very lazy to maintain vertical gun position while shooting as such , in most condition , stray bullet. Are prone ...e.g , at the campaign ground for Gov Fayemi in 2018. Ekiti State , the police end up shooting a dignity.

Lol.. @ "even if it lands on your head" you had to infuse that humour there. Nice one.

yet another intelligent squad personnel. This is one thing I like nairaland for. I learn a new thing every day.

1 Like

Re: Where Do Bullets Go When Fired Straight Into The Air? by GeneralPula: 8:36pm On Oct 23, 2020
ibuildstuff:

That very true. U can Google it.

Google will never tell you a bullet is harmless irrespective of the circumstance..

The probability of a bullet returning to it’s same spot after getting fired is 1 out of 100..

1 Like

Re: Where Do Bullets Go When Fired Straight Into The Air? by AsiwajuNdigbo: 8:36pm On Oct 23, 2020
ShoProperties:
We see military personnel everyday shooting bullets in the air in a bid to either scare away civilians or announce their arrival to restore sanity to an already deteriorating event, either way, most people get to wonder where the bullets that are shot straight up into the air goes to and if by any chance they can cause any form of damage or injury.

They will eventually have zero acceleration upward and be forced by gravity to return in a downward force and with racing momentum since they have mass and weight. I would love they end up in Buhari zombies skulls.

1 Like

Re: Where Do Bullets Go When Fired Straight Into The Air? by officialfestus(m): 8:37pm On Oct 23, 2020
Pecuman:

Bullets kill by their force and speed not their heat
never knew this,thanks.
Re: Where Do Bullets Go When Fired Straight Into The Air? by stealmatic(m): 8:38pm On Oct 23, 2020
Naijabad:
They defy the law of gravity and hang in the air.
ummmm,tell me something,so they stay afloat
Re: Where Do Bullets Go When Fired Straight Into The Air? by MISSCONGENIALITY(f): 8:38pm On Oct 23, 2020
baby124:
When you go and do a wicked prank. You don’t know who among you has evil intentions. Many followed others in the past to bully people and someone ended up dead. All of them are in prison now. Explain why the lights were turned off if they only wanted to shoot in the air.
The lights went off because they didn't want to break the bulbs with the bullet. They also wanted the bullet to travel far up since bullets travel up easily in the dark.

2 Likes

Re: Where Do Bullets Go When Fired Straight Into The Air? by AkuOlisa: 8:39pm On Oct 23, 2020
[color=#006600][/color]
PaChukwudi44:
They soldiers shot into the air and all the wounded and dead people jumped up and caught up with the bullets

Have you heard of stray bullet ?
Re: Where Do Bullets Go When Fired Straight Into The Air? by faithful2911(m): 8:39pm On Oct 23, 2020
KillSars:
E be like sey na everybody wan dey mad for this country, no lele nah..

Bullets shot in the air, goes up, hang up in the space, transformed into a star and they start singing "shine bright like a diamond"

Re: Where Do Bullets Go When Fired Straight Into The Air? by ibuildstuff(m): 8:40pm On Oct 23, 2020
GeneralPula:

Google will never tell you a bullet is harmless irrespective of the circumstance..

The probability of a bullet returning to it’s same spot after getting fired is 1 out of 100..

Of course, nor be u I wan quote mistake
Re: Where Do Bullets Go When Fired Straight Into The Air? by backbone503(m): 8:41pm On Oct 23, 2020
If fired directly upright, it will likely run out of velocity, stop, and come down. But If fired with any kind of arc (not fired directly up), it will come down with some velocity. It may kill someone if it hits them.

2 Likes

Re: Where Do Bullets Go When Fired Straight Into The Air? by adanny01(m): 8:42pm On Oct 23, 2020
ShoProperties:
We see military personnel everyday shooting bullets in the air in a bid to either scare away civilians or announce their arrival to restore sanity to an already deteriorating event, either way, most people get to wonder where the bullets that are shot straight up into the air goes to and if by any chance they can cause any form of damage or injury.

They move in a projectile profile untill.they lose momentum and gravity takes over. They drop like the way you throw a stone in the air. In fact, a stone thrown vertically upwards will hurt more than a bullet with no momentum.

It could cause pain but not enough to kill.

What kills is the momentum the bullet has. Its like a lion with no teeth or claws.
Re: Where Do Bullets Go When Fired Straight Into The Air? by ibuildstuff(m): 8:42pm On Oct 23, 2020
ivolt:

Why don't you show us those wounded and killed by bullets? Not another dark video or narration please.
One of the survivers.
https://twitter.com/i/status/1319636829239431170

And don't ask for bright video, all light at lekki toll gate was off that night, even street light.
Re: Where Do Bullets Go When Fired Straight Into The Air? by Fabkimzzy1: 8:43pm On Oct 23, 2020
being:
The bullets go up and keep travelling till gravity reduces the speed to zero. They fall back at the same speed in the absence of air. But with air resistance which is mostly the case they fall back at a fraction of the initial speed which can still be injurious or even fatal.

I believe that's what happened at the Lekki Toll Gate. Shots were fired in the air and some of the bullets fell on legs, backs, thighs etc.

Oga it can't fall back at the same speed after attaining zero speed due to earth gravity, the falling speed depends on the mass of the bullet, atmospheric constituent and gravitational force of the particular area.

1 Like

Re: Where Do Bullets Go When Fired Straight Into The Air? by ibuildstuff(m): 8:43pm On Oct 23, 2020
adanny01:

They move in a projectile profile untill.they lose momentum and gravity takes over. They drop like the way you throw a stone in the air.

It could cause pain but not enough to kill.

What kills is the momentum the bullet has. Its like a lion with no teeth or claws.
U are very wrong, they still have enough momentum to kill, especially AK-47 and other military grade weapons.
Re: Where Do Bullets Go When Fired Straight Into The Air? by Farki: 8:43pm On Oct 23, 2020
ibuildstuff:

Check this out,

https://twitter.com/i/status/1319652919894024192

secondly they off the light, how do u expect to get a clear video in such situations when everywhere was dark. U should be reasonable.

He is a paid propagandist, notice how the usual government asslickers are here defending this rubbish. Their pattern is to flood the first pages of topics with lies, the problem with that is their lies can never be consistent and will always contradict each other and the current evidence.

3 Likes

Re: Where Do Bullets Go When Fired Straight Into The Air? by lastchild: 8:44pm On Oct 23, 2020
many years ago, I visited my martanal home, while sitting outside, a small round iron fell on my head, I was wondering the children that threw it

my uncle told me it's the pump action gun they were shooting in a burial ceremony, I listened and heard them shooting

guns shot in the sky, goes up and come down but very calm and unharmful
Re: Where Do Bullets Go When Fired Straight Into The Air? by georgeakins: 8:46pm On Oct 23, 2020
donkilidon:
Every gun has its range "distance covered" by the bullet. Once that distance is met the bullet drops to the ground. Hence the bullet becomes harmless after required speed and distance is met.

You gave the best explanation. A falling bullet cannot pierce any roof. I have experienced that severally.
Re: Where Do Bullets Go When Fired Straight Into The Air? by Nobody: 8:49pm On Oct 23, 2020
SalamRushdie:
Bullets shot into the air can actually Fall with almost the same lethal muzzle velocity depending on the angle of fire and the weather forces at play at the time ..Yes falling bullets can kill .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFP3npxlJVk

That video is bullshit tongue

A bullet travelling upwards reaches 0 speed/velocity at it maximum height and begins to drop down at a velocity of 10m/s which is the speed gravity exerts upon every free falling object. A bullet dropping directly down can't go higher than 10m/s and can't kill you because of its miniscule size.
Re: Where Do Bullets Go When Fired Straight Into The Air? by Emmyxclusive: 8:51pm On Oct 23, 2020
There is what they call escape velocity in physics, the velocity needed to overcome the gravitational force. It's doesn't return once it overcome the gravitational force. Atleast that was what I was told in sec school.
Re: Where Do Bullets Go When Fired Straight Into The Air? by Guest2017(m): 8:51pm On Oct 23, 2020
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Celebratory_gunfire

Falling-bullet injuries
Bullets fired into the air usually fall back with terminal velocities much lower than their muzzle velocity when they leave the barrel of a firearm. Nevertheless, people can be injured, sometimes fatally, when bullets discharged into the air fall back down to the ground.
Re: Where Do Bullets Go When Fired Straight Into The Air? by donprinyo(m): 8:52pm On Oct 23, 2020
who gave the order? we will decide whether it was 30 or 45 degrees
Re: Where Do Bullets Go When Fired Straight Into The Air? by Yankee101: 8:52pm On Oct 23, 2020
It goes up then returns to earth

Sometimes it still returns with lethal velocity
Re: Where Do Bullets Go When Fired Straight Into The Air? by Nchenches: 8:53pm On Oct 23, 2020
The bullets fired by Nigeria armed forces first go up the space and fall down, possibly into the unarmed civilians and kill or hurt them.

Overall, the bullets scare the crowd from further protests against the fraudulent political structure and governance system of Nigeria created by northern military dictators.

The armed forces protect the political structure and governance system from change in a democracy.
Re: Where Do Bullets Go When Fired Straight Into The Air? by Beautyaddy: 8:53pm On Oct 23, 2020
eagleonearth:
is it rubber bullets that are shot at military parades?

During Military parade those Military officers do not fire real bullets...they fire blanks. No Bullets leave the guns.
Re: Where Do Bullets Go When Fired Straight Into The Air? by dhope: 8:54pm On Oct 23, 2020
ibuildstuff:

U are very wrong, they still have enough momentum to kill, especially AK-47 and other military grade weapons.
Bullet when fired carries force F=ma where m is the mass of the bullet and a is acceleration. You can imagine how high the value of a will be but at free fall this same force is mg where g is just 9.8 m/s. The downward force that will hit the person is mass of the bullet X acceleration (g), except the bullet d bullet didn't reach it's maximum height initially and just travelled as a projectile.
Re: Where Do Bullets Go When Fired Straight Into The Air? by 8stargeneral: 8:54pm On Oct 23, 2020
Naijabad:
They defy the law of gravity and hang in the air.
See as I dey look u

1 Like

Re: Where Do Bullets Go When Fired Straight Into The Air? by officialfestus(m): 8:56pm On Oct 23, 2020
lastchild:
many years ago, I visited my martanal home, while sitting outside, a small round iron fell on my head, I was wondering the children that threw it

my uncle told me it's the pump action gun they were shooting in a burial ceremony, I listened and heard them shooting

guns shot in the sky, goes up and come down but very calm and unharmful
then I think the principle is not for all bullets,because a gun that uses the pump action type of bullets can not harm a fly when it's falling from the sky.
Re: Where Do Bullets Go When Fired Straight Into The Air? by onoms4luv(m): 8:59pm On Oct 23, 2020
ivolt:

Continue, you hear
Re: Where Do Bullets Go When Fired Straight Into The Air? by mozona(m): 8:59pm On Oct 23, 2020
i dont think bullet shot in the air can still fatal when droping down cos of the velocity

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

UNIBEN Aficionado Having Fun Before He Was Killed By Cultist. Friends Mourn / MC Real Abah Poisoned To Death By Friend In Abuja (Disturbing Pix) / Man Lures A Gay Man On Facebook In Owerri, Then Kills Him When They Met (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.