Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,070 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:13 AM

Where Do Bullets Go When Fired Straight Into The Air? - Crime (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Where Do Bullets Go When Fired Straight Into The Air? (85453 Views)

300,000 Live Bullets Concealed In Trucks Intercepted By Army In Ogun (Photos) / Stray Bullets Kill UNILAG Final Year Student And Staff In Lagos / Baggers Kill Eiye Cultist In Delta After "Bullets Refused To Enter His Body" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Where Do Bullets Go When Fired Straight Into The Air? by IntegralC(m): 10:51pm On Oct 23, 2020
saajus:
They are captured when they were shooting into the air but they later fired straight to people. If they only shot into the air, nobody will die but falling bullet from AK (150miles/hr) can still cause some injuries but won't penetrate.

If you shot into the air, it will come down after reaching its maximum velocity. It's the same if you shoot straight, the bullet will get tired along the way if it doesn't hit any physical body. AK47 that our Police use can travel 800meters. But, it's maximum effective range is 400meters. After 400meters, the effect will be dropping.

Once you are hearing gunshots, if not crowded go straight down, find cover and start crawling. If it is crowded like the Tues Lekki event and to avoid a stampede, keep finding the nearest space that will allow you to crawl and find a cover asap. Once you are in a safe area, remove all your cloth and check your body or ask someone nearby to check for you. Some people are hit and won't know instantly.

Soldiers always say “You never hear the one that hits you”. The bullet is faster than the speed of sound. So, people are getting hit before they hear it. Once you hear gunshot sound just once, japa.

bro, I'm not defending the soldiers oo
they did a very wrong thing. but if they shot directly at them, don't you think the number of people killed will me more than 200.
I mean, an AK-47 fires 600 rounds per minute
Re: Where Do Bullets Go When Fired Straight Into The Air? by CALCULUS16: 10:53pm On Oct 23, 2020
the person wey invent gun, e no go better for u in your grave o,

1 Like

Re: Where Do Bullets Go When Fired Straight Into The Air? by Sirmwill: 10:55pm On Oct 23, 2020
Faithful007:
They are fired up to 15000 feet at 1500m/s. They fall back at 200m/s and can still be quite deadly, that's why people are killed by stray bullets.
Faithful007:
They are fired up to 15000 feet at 1500m/s. They fall back at 200m/s and can still be quite deadly, that's why people are killed by stray bullets.

Rubbish!!!
Ahn ahn
Who is this olodoo?
Do you know the meaning of 15000feets?
Considering air resistance,do you think a bullet can move at 1500m/s under the influence of gravity while moving up?
For a body to cause reasonable damage,it must have gathered a deadly amount of kinetic energy while falling and this will require the body to have a reasonable mass.How heavy are bullets?
Who is this person sef?
For an aircraft to move at a whooping 100m/s requires serious work and you are...do you know what it means for something to move at 1500m in one second
Chai
*spits*
Your brother should be that guy with his name on WAEC question paper every year...

Rubbish
Re: Where Do Bullets Go When Fired Straight Into The Air? by fiyinfoluwa29093: 11:00pm On Oct 23, 2020
:They go up in the air and keep searching for Buhari, but they don't find him they find his clone.Once he's found, he will be hit by the bullet. So they fall at a very low velocity to the ground

1 Like

Re: Where Do Bullets Go When Fired Straight Into The Air? by jessedaflow: 11:07pm On Oct 23, 2020
Do you know most of these zombie soldier's dont knw the actual end point of the bullets the shoot on air, for their mind e dey freeze for sky. undecided

1 Like

Re: Where Do Bullets Go When Fired Straight Into The Air? by Faithful007: 11:07pm On Oct 23, 2020
SirMichael1:
This is a big misinformation. The people liking this post do not know. Whatever goes up must come down, and in the case of a bullet, when it reaches it maximum height, it returns to the earth at the speed of gravity which is simply 9.8m/s and at that, it affect nothing. More like a bird's feaces. Stop the misinformation.
please say what you know. What you mentioned was acceleration due to gravity and not speed, for heaven sake there is nothing like speed of gravity. Go and read it up and stop arguing what you do not know.
Re: Where Do Bullets Go When Fired Straight Into The Air? by Faithful007: 11:10pm On Oct 23, 2020
Enwhen:

Na u no know Wetin gravity mean... Ask yourself that What is the MASS of bullet , if u can answer that question , u will know that it can't cause any meaningful harm to anybody... Study to understand...
just go and browse about a bullets terminal velocity and stop talking okay?
Re: Where Do Bullets Go When Fired Straight Into The Air? by Enwhen(m): 11:16pm On Oct 23, 2020
Faithful007:
just go and browse about a bullets terminal velocity and stop talking okay?

Everything is not browsing , go and read your books... If u don't understand the basics , browsing will confused u... I don try for u ... Goodnight.
Re: Where Do Bullets Go When Fired Straight Into The Air? by Faithful007: 11:19pm On Oct 23, 2020
Sirmwill:

Rubbish!!!
Ahn ahn
Who is this olodoo?
Do you know the meaning of 15000feets?
Considering air resistance,do you think a bullet can move at 1500m/s under the influence of gravity while moving up?
For a body to cause reasonable damage,it must have gathered a deadly amount of kinetic energy while falling and this will require the body to have a reasonable mass.How heavy are bullets?
Who is this person sef?
For an aircraft to move at a whooping 100m/s requires serious work and you are...do you know what it means for something to move at 1500m in one second
Chai
*spits*
Your brother should be that guy with his name on WAEC question paper every year...

Rubbish
Next time please just STFU on what your brain does not know

Re: Where Do Bullets Go When Fired Straight Into The Air? by saajus: 11:19pm On Oct 23, 2020
Noted. Do you mean penetrate too? I am specifically on AK that our Police use
Neddstark:

Falling bullets can pierce into the body.
Re: Where Do Bullets Go When Fired Straight Into The Air? by Awodip: 11:28pm On Oct 23, 2020
Faithful007:
big lie, please don't say what you don't know
Re: Where Do Bullets Go When Fired Straight Into The Air? by Neddstark: 11:29pm On Oct 23, 2020
saajus:
Noted. Do you mean penetrate too? I am specifically on AK that our Police use

It may penetrate but not be fatal
Re: Where Do Bullets Go When Fired Straight Into The Air? by saajus: 11:30pm On Oct 23, 2020
Base on the video circulating, they are on semi-automatic mode. If you watch the video, the shooting is going tau......tau........ tau. They are pausing, reloading their magazines. I would have turned to Usain Bolt when they even started shooting into the air. According to DJ switch, they started shooting into the air before they face it directly on protesters. Protesters thought they just want to chase people away with tear gas or shot into the air. While they are shooting, some of them are even shouting sit-down, wave your flag. Some are singing National Anthem. Because it's dark, they are not seeing heroes falling.
I warned ppl when I saw a message circulating on social that soldiers cannot shoot anyone waving Nigerian flag. I said these are not normal people.

IntegralC:

they did a very wrong thing. but if they shot directly at them, don't you think the number of people killed will me more than 200.
Re: Where Do Bullets Go When Fired Straight Into The Air? by Peppermintflav: 11:36pm On Oct 23, 2020
I remember when I had this argument with a friend of mine. It is very dangerous, it can kill. We don't need to argue Google is our friend.
That is why in some countries, shooting in the air is banned.
Re: Where Do Bullets Go When Fired Straight Into The Air? by AlphaStorm: 11:36pm On Oct 23, 2020
Bullets are fired into the Air with average velocities of 1500m/s , they experience retardation and then fall back to the ground with Uniform velocities of about 300m/s . Something falling back with such velocity close to the velocity of sound can kill. Bullets are projectiles.

1 Like

Re: Where Do Bullets Go When Fired Straight Into The Air? by eagleonearth(m): 11:37pm On Oct 23, 2020
SalamRushdie:

Blanks
wow give me details
Re: Where Do Bullets Go When Fired Straight Into The Air? by eagleonearth(m): 11:38pm On Oct 23, 2020
Beautyaddy:

During Military parade those Military officers do not fire real bullets...they fire blanks. No Bullets leave the guns.
how is that done
Re: Where Do Bullets Go When Fired Straight Into The Air? by mfm04622: 11:40pm On Oct 23, 2020
PaChukwudi44:
They soldiers shot into the air and all the wounded and dead people jumped up and caught up with the bullets

The soldiers fired into the air, that was why there was no dead victim at Lekki but rather injured protesters
Re: Where Do Bullets Go When Fired Straight Into The Air? by Faithful007: 11:40pm On Oct 23, 2020
Awodip:
big lie, please don't say what you don't know

Re: Where Do Bullets Go When Fired Straight Into The Air? by PHOTSEE(m): 11:40pm On Oct 23, 2020
In projectory we consider two position which are flight point A and land point B

Factor too consider
i)distances or range of target ( protesters where in a semi curves)which is a perfect projection. hiting at his climax or peak depending on height of individuals.
A. {.. protesters clustered......B}

2) type of gun (double barell known for dispersing effect) can aim two object a once.best for upward movment to cover arrange.
3) i was shock when a girl a said to the camera "they are killing us, 7 people just dia @ my back, we need justices"
Re: Where Do Bullets Go When Fired Straight Into The Air? by tsdarkside(m): 11:41pm On Oct 23, 2020
KillSars:
E be like sey na everybody wan dey mad for this country, no lele nah..

Bullets shot in the air, goes up, hang up in the space, transformed into a star and they start singing "shine bright like a diamond"

haha....

Re: Where Do Bullets Go When Fired Straight Into The Air? by Peppermintflav: 11:53pm On Oct 23, 2020
SirMichael1:
This is a big misinformation. The people liking this post do not know. Whatever goes up must come down, and in the case of a bullet, when it reaches it maximum height, it returns to the earth at the speed of gravity which is simply 9.8m/s and at that, it affect nothing. More like a bird's feaces. Stop the misinformation.
So a bullet and a biro dropped from an aeroplane would fall at the same speed? Which according to you is 9.8m/s? And both would have Same effect if they dropped on a car windshield?

1 Like

Re: Where Do Bullets Go When Fired Straight Into The Air? by banmee(m): 11:55pm On Oct 23, 2020
What goes up will definitely come down
Re: Where Do Bullets Go When Fired Straight Into The Air? by TheOtherRoom: 12:02am On Oct 24, 2020
PaChukwudi44:
They soldiers shot into the air and all the wounded and dead people jumped up and caught up with the bullets
This man. Long time no see
Re: Where Do Bullets Go When Fired Straight Into The Air? by Smatkomo: 12:53am On Oct 24, 2020
SalamRushdie:
Bullets shot into the air can actually Fall with almost the same lethal muzzle velocity depending on the angle of fire and the weather forces at play at the time ..Yes falling bullets can kill .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFP3npxlJVk

Thanks for sharing God bless you

1 Like

Re: Where Do Bullets Go When Fired Straight Into The Air? by baby124: 1:05am On Oct 24, 2020
SalamRushdie:
Bullets shot into the air can actually Fall with almost the same lethal muzzle velocity depending on the angle of fire and the weather forces at play at the time ..Yes falling bullets can kill .

Lekki is Windy... especially at night. Perfect combination for a bad situation. Why will the soldiers go with real bullets? Buhari and all of them had sinister plans by removing cameras and turning off the lights. A few people among them had even more wicked plans that some of the soldiers may have carried out too.
Re: Where Do Bullets Go When Fired Straight Into The Air? by saajus: 1:41am On Oct 24, 2020
Great. Thanks.
Neddstark:

It may penetrate but not be fatal
Re: Where Do Bullets Go When Fired Straight Into The Air? by IntegralC(m): 2:27am On Oct 24, 2020
saajus:
Base on the video circulating, they are on semi-automatic mode. If you watch the video, the shooting is going tau......tau........ tau. They are pausing, reloading their magazines. I would have turned to Usain Bolt when they even started shooting into the air. According to DJ switch, they started shooting into the air before they face it directly on protesters. Protesters thought they just want to chase people away with tear gas or shot into the air. While they are shooting, some of them are even shouting sit-down, wave your flag. Some are singing National Anthem. Because it's dark, they are not seeing heroes falling.
I warned ppl when I saw a message circulating on social that soldiers cannot shoot anyone waving Nigerian flag. I said these are not normal people.

but still, don't you think the people that died should be more than the 7 that she said they counted
Re: Where Do Bullets Go When Fired Straight Into The Air? by Nkpitime(m): 5:01am On Oct 24, 2020
We call it free fall gravitational pull the pillet fall back to the ground at constant speed of 10m/s
Which is very low compared to the upward velocity of the pillet which is traveling at a speed of over1200m/s depending on the type of guy fired
The pillet maybe slightly dangerous due to it momentum ie the product of it mass and velocity downward
Re: Where Do Bullets Go When Fired Straight Into The Air? by Bleiz(m): 5:08am On Oct 24, 2020
Lagoon0:

After watching this video I remember projectile in physics. That instance is only possible when you shoot at 90° upward not in a projectile manner

Modified: and how sure are we that the soldiers were even 45° acurate which is still dangerous. For soldier not to shoot at 90° to scare people might even drop the gun down to as low as 29° who knows

Shooting at 90° is more lethal than shooting beyond 45° and below 90°.

I think 45° is the safest because that's when the bullet can cover it's maximum range and if it doesn't meet any obstruction on its path while up, it won't be lethal when it makes impact with any human on the ground.
Re: Where Do Bullets Go When Fired Straight Into The Air? by ucheuzor1(m): 5:15am On Oct 24, 2020
being:
The bullets go up and keep travelling till gravity reduces the speed to zero. They fall back at the same speed in the absence of air. But with air resistance which is mostly the case they fall back at a fraction of the initial speed which can still be injurious or even fatal.

I believe that's what happened at the Lekki Toll Gate. Shots were fired in the air and some of the bullets fell on legs, backs, thighs etc.
The bullet don't really fall back with the same speed as it was shot. In the absence of gravity, the bullet will continue to travel up forever, no resistance to pull it back to the Earth's surface.

But due to gravity and air resistance, it will get to maximize height, at that point the bullet velocity becomes zero, and it's temporarily at a stop, then it start falling down, this time purely with gravitational force and not the force it was fired with.

1 Like

Re: Where Do Bullets Go When Fired Straight Into The Air? by Jakumo(m): 5:50am On Oct 24, 2020
IntegralC:

Several army trucks were reportedly seen leaving the massacre site, loaded with dead bodies that were either dumped in the Lagos Lagoon, or buried secretly in holes excavated by bulldozers. The death toll may well have been as high as 500, since there is no accounting for all the homeless area boys, that mingled with the crowd of protesters, to loot and terrorize, rather than to engage in legitimate protest.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

UNIBEN Aficionado Having Fun Before He Was Killed By Cultist. Friends Mourn / MC Real Abah Poisoned To Death By Friend In Abuja (Disturbing Pix) / Man Lures A Gay Man On Facebook In Owerri, Then Kills Him When They Met (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.