Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,067 members, 7,956,986 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 01:34 AM

Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier (18730 Views)

Schooling Abroad: Is It Only Meant 4 D Rich? / Study Abroad Is The Only Way Through In Nigeria Now / Bsc In Nigeria Msc In Abroad Is It Ok (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier by nethacker(m): 7:57pm On Mar 10, 2011
Correct me if i'm wrong,i have always argued with my friends in Nigerian universities if we are to compare US and 9ja education in terms of stress,assignments,exams etc 9ja can't stand US.But for those that haven't been here to experience it, they think otherwise.

U can contribute if u hv d experience wink
Re: Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier by OjaP: 8:08pm On Mar 10, 2011
This thread is timely, i think it came at a time when i am sick all due to stress from assignments,midterms,research etc. My friends who work on campus hardly work 10hrs out of the 20hrs given them a week,they don't even have time to go to work because of their academic work . I was already doing my Masters in a federal university in Nigeria before i came into the USA for my Masters.So,i think i am in a god position to compare. Naija education is easy, you wont have to write any paper, no loads of assignments, no practicals. And if you are lucky to write a single paper in 2years in Naija, lol.No Prof will check if you plagiarize as they cross check everything you write here.It is not easy at all.As i am talking ,i have four different assignments to turn in before tomorrow and i also have to study for my finals starting next week and also work in the laboratory on my research work.So,where is the time?? May God help us all.

America education is not easy at all.
Re: Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier by yuzedo: 1:14pm On Mar 11, 2011
Exactly why foreign-trained students are higher rated! angry
You guys r missing the point! Its not a question of seeking an easier way out, its a question of equipping urself wiv better qualifications, and ultimately, having higher employment prospects,
, Maybe u meant it's lots harder living abroad which i totally agree wiv so dont understand the fuss about tryina "escape" naija, But if its about education, i think those aspiring to study abroad aren't motivated by easier curriculum, undecided
Re: Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier by dellnet: 1:16pm On Mar 11, 2011
It all depends on the situation you are in and your mindset. Studying in a developed country would be easier because of the environment and resources available that is if you have the money or means.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier by dellnet: 1:18pm On Mar 11, 2011
@yuzedo I believe the OP means the process of studying not what you get at the end.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier by likeithot(f): 1:20pm On Mar 11, 2011
hell no, studying in the Uk is not beans o, at least i know that about my school.

i cant say much about the undergrad programmes but my postgrad programme is demanding and sometimes exhausting.

i'm thankful for the opportunity though.
Re: Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier by martinosi: 1:22pm On Mar 11, 2011
American Education may not be easy, but the REWARDS! THE REWARDS !
can not be compared to studying in Nigeria,

Its the Total Package Experience ie

1 - the Education Experience

2 - the Social aspect of dealing with all types of People from every part of this planet (And you know thats a edcuational expereince all by its own believe that!!!)

3 - The experience of living by yourself and having to be mature by force due
to the fact that their is no Popsi or Momsi to bail you out!!!

4 - The fact you are in the No.1 Economy in the world and you have to perform, it
will bring out the best or worse in you!

5 - The fact that studying/Living in America will destroy all your myths and
allows you to see the realities of the leading western society!!!

Dont get me wrong, Nigerian University education is good.

But look at those Nigerians that studyied in Nigeria and did a year transfer
in a foreign country, they always come back different and more sound.

I have a cousin that graduated from UNIBEN that Studied French. She went to france for a 3rd year transfer. When she came back she came back more mature and level headed,
not the over playful, happy go luck girl before!.

All i trying to say is that Exposure is always good and you understand people
more better when you school with them as opposed to working with them.
As people hide who theey really are at work, but school opens people up let no other
place.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier by yuzedo: 1:24pm On Mar 11, 2011
Yeah, i know, but there's no delusion on the part of those seeking foreign education, I think everyone is aware that education is very thorough there, especially if you went thru A-levels, u def know there's no misconception about whether its easier there. My point is people dont travel to study because they feel its easier, they do cos they feel it'll be easier in d long run, I.e. Upping ur qualifications so a stressful  curriculum is a sacrifice worth making in the long run,
Re: Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier by kcjazz(m): 1:25pm On Mar 11, 2011
Well abroad you deal with study alone, infact you can get loans for school. In Nigeria, you deal with cultism, PHCN, strikes, evil lecturers and inadequate facilities. You need tough skin to succeed. Plus you have AC or heater in your classrooms, most Nigeria schools have no windows in their hostels. Massive fearless rats and mosquitoes thrive all day.

Its not a curriculum issue, it the other non-curricular issue which makes it tough.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier by martinosi: 1:31pm On Mar 11, 2011
dell_net:

@yuzedo I believe the OP means the process of studying not what you get at the end.

Yeah i agree, its the process. It can be challenging if you did not
come with a "Gold Bullion" in your bank account lol!!!

I know Nigerians that came with Gold Bullion in their bank account
and it just like being on vacation, just that you are studying.

The ones that have to come and have to work and school can find the process
tough going.

But also i have seen that some Nigerians can be kind hearted as a friend
brother of mine that is studying in the States had to work also to support himself.

His fellow nigerian friend came with Gold Bullion in der bank (All expenses paid for)
but he told his Dad to help out his friend that has to work and school and the
dad did!!!.

So the guy has now 2 years to go and does not need to worry about
certain expenses as the friends dad has paid it for him up-front.

Thats a kool friends dad to have!!!
Re: Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier by martinosi: 1:35pm On Mar 11, 2011
kcjazz:

Well abroad you deal with study alone, infact you can get loans for school. In Nigeria, you deal with cultism, PHCN, strikes, evil lecturers and inadequate facilities. You need tough skin to succeed. Plus you have AC or heater in your classrooms, most Nigeria schools have no windows in their hostels. Massive fearless rats and mosquitoes thrive all day.

Its not a curriculum issue, it the other non-curricular issue which makes it tough.

I feel you Bro, as i understand the Non Curriculum whalala as i did one year before
in 9ja Uni before going back abroad.

Abroad is the der Financial Issue and the time to yourself with is limited that can drive
you up der wall if you dont have thick-skin,
Re: Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier by Nobody: 1:44pm On Mar 11, 2011
OjaP:

This thread is timely, i think it came at a time when i am sick all due to stress from assignments,midterms,research etc. My friends who work on campus hardly work 10hrs out of the 20hrs given them a week,they don't even have time to go to work because of their academic work . I was already doing my Masters in a federal university in Nigeria before i came into the USA for my Masters.So,i think i am in a god position to compare. [b]Naija education is easy, you wont have to write any paper, no loads of assignments, no practicals. And if you are lucky to write a single paper in 2years in Naija, lol.No Prof will check if you plagiarize as they cross check everything you write here.[/b]It is not easy at all.As i am talking ,i have four different assignments to turn in before tomorrow and i also have to study for my finals starting next week and also work in the laboratory on my research work.So,where is the time?? May God help us all.

Hmmmm. Interesting. . .
Re: Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier by nethacker(m): 1:47pm On Mar 11, 2011
kcjazz:

LWKMD!!!  grin grin grin
i understand u quite well for i've been in d system for more than 3 years.  wink wink
u knw in 9ja we can manipulate but here,nothing like dat.u hv to READ ur freaking brain out.  grin grin
i remember my first class in senior year when my professor clearly stated that to hv an "A", u must be above 90%. above 80% for a "B" and above 70% for a "C".  shocked shocked . i was sweating profusely because evrytin frm attendance,class-notes,weekly quizzes to bi-weekly exams,count towards ur final semester grade.
Re: Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier by Nobody: 1:49pm On Mar 11, 2011
I think both sides have their good and bad sides. The environment abroad offers you more room/chance to study: no PHCN failure, cooperative teachers/coursemates, assignments, no plagiarism, etc. While the environment in Nigeria makes it a bit difficult to study and understand, students who go the length of educating themselves through self-study turn out to know much more than their teachers can bargain for and can even compare favourably with their mates abroad
Re: Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier by Demdem(m): 1:58pm On Mar 11, 2011
OjaP:

This thread is timely, i think it came at a time when i am sick all due to stress from assignments,midterms,research etc. My friends who work on campus hardly work 10hrs out of the 20hrs given them a week,they don't even have time to go to work because of their academic work . I was already doing my Masters in a federal university in Nigeria before i came into the USA for my Masters.So,i think i am in a god position to compare. Naija education is easy, you wont have to write any paper, no loads of assignments, no practicals. And if you are lucky to write a single paper in 2years in Naija, lol.No Prof will check if you plagiarize as they cross check everything you write here.It is not easy at all.As i am talking ,i have four different assignments to turn in before tomorrow and i also have to study for my finals starting next week and also work in the laboratory on my research work.So,where is the time?? May God help us all.

Interesting Post u have here but at least u still have time to check on nairaland grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier by agabaI23(m): 2:06pm On Mar 11, 2011
nethacker:

Correct me if i'm wrong,i have always argued with my friends in Nigerian universities if we are to compare US and 9ja education in terms of stress,assignments,exams etc 9ja can't stand US.But for those that haven't been here to experience it, they think otherwise.

U can contribute if u hv d experience  wink
If you have loads to do and have the resources to do them, you only need time management to pull it off. then you will still come out better equipped.

The stress is worse when you have only one assignment in two weeks and yet you are not able to log into any database to get info you end up copying wikipedia.

I met a master's student who wrote up an assignment with web info like you get from Netdoctor and wikipedia and he thought there was no need for any references.

Studying abroad is easier and easier and easier unless your 20 hours work is more important to you than your academic accomplishment.

Lecturers want you to pass they do not want you to fail.
They give tutorials before exams and tell you how to answer questions.
Structure of questions are the same and they repeat questions every year so you fail because you are careless.

No comparison at alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll!
Re: Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier by comechop(m): 2:16pm On Mar 11, 2011
agabaI23:

If you have loads to do and have the resources to do them, you only need time management to pull it off. then you will still come out better equipped.

The stress is worse when you have only one assignment in two weeks and yet you are not able to log into any database to get info you end up copying wikipedia.

I met a master's student who wrote up an assignment with web info like you get from Netdoctor and wikipedia and he thought there was no need for any references.

Studying abroad is easier and easier and easier unless your 20 hours work is more important to you than your academic accomplishment.

Lecturers want you to pass they do not want you to fail.
They give tutorials before exams and tell you how to answer questions.
Structure of questions are the same and they repeat questions every year so you fail because you are careless.

No comparison at alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll!

Your mileage may vary. It all depends on your institution and course of study really.
Structures of questions are def not the same in my institution, hell we dont even get past questions, and no they dont repeat qustions.
Tutorials? the only ones you'll get are from study group w your peers or random office hours with your prof.
It is true tho that lecturers/the school want you to pass, and they'll usually give you the resources to do that.
Re: Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier by callme2: 2:16pm On Mar 11, 2011
I need your help

Please how can i send a quote. I've tried that on several occation but not getting it.

Thanks
Re: Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier by dellnet: 2:19pm On Mar 11, 2011
what do you mean send a quote?
Re: Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier by callme2: 2:25pm On Mar 11, 2011
i.e

to reply or making a reference to comments
Re: Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier by 2good(m): 2:27pm On Mar 11, 2011
Guys I'm sure studying abroad is harder than stydying in Nigeria because every professor is not bothered how many assignments you have already from other courses and just keep on dolling out more assignments. The lab work is another problem, papers to present are so much and here in TU Delft, you write exam 4 times in a year as against Nigeria 2 times in a year. No break after 1st exam. You finish exam on friday and resume for a new quater(four quaters make an academic year) next monday and the lecture just keep pouring in. Also it is not cram and pour system but U have to understand basic principles of your courses because exams are based on application but alot of Nigerians have a wrong impression about the stress in the education here.
I can confirm that education abroad is more difficult.
Re: Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier by agabaI23(m): 2:28pm On Mar 11, 2011
comechop:

Your mileage may vary. It all depends on your institution and course of study really.
Structures of questions are def not the same in my institution, hell we dont even get past questions, and no they dont repeat qustions.
Tutorials? the only ones you'll get are from study group w your peers or random office hours with your prof.
It is true tho that lecturers/the school want you to pass, and they'll usually give you the resources to do that.
Well may be. I have been through two Universities in the UK and the story is the same and friends in other Universities do not differ.

I am talking about postgrad studies anyway. I am not sure what obtains in undergrad anyway.
Re: Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier by agabaI23(m): 2:30pm On Mar 11, 2011
2good:

Guys I'm sure studying abroad is harder than stydying in Nigeria because every professor is not bothered how many assignments you have already from other courses and just keep on dolling out more assignments. The lab work is another problem, papers to present are so much and here in TU Delft, you write exam 4 times in a year as against Nigeria 2 times in a year. No break after 1st exam. You finish exam on friday and resume for a new quater(four quaters make an academic year) next monday and the lecture just keep pouring in. Also it is not cram and pour system but U have to understand basic principles of your courses because exams are based on application but alot of Nigerians have a wrong impression about the stress in the education here.
I can confirm that education abroad is more difficult.
But you get long summer holiday!!!!!!!!!!
That makes it education. If it is like that in Nigeria, noone will have time for cultism.
Re: Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier by Iysayah(m): 2:37pm On Mar 11, 2011
mehn, you guys are correct, i thought it would all be easy, but alas, the stress is killing! i had a one week winter break with loads of assignment and research enough to send me to my early grave cry sometimes i wonder if i should just tell these profs to GO TO H.E.L.L angry. but i know i am better everyday and the stress is worth it.
Re: Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier by dellnet: 2:44pm On Mar 11, 2011
call-me:

i.e

to reply or making a reference to comments

When you click reply scroll down to the comment you want to make reference to. on the upper right hand corner just below the posted date click on "Insert Quote" give it few seconds this should automatically appear with open quote tag and closing quote tag that should have a forward slash (/) in the text editor. You may write your comment below the closing tag. test with my post lets see if you get it.
Re: Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier by omo9ja1(m): 2:46pm On Mar 11, 2011
Study environment/resources  is Nigeria is less than the one in advance Country, I work in secondary School in UK, and what I saw there compare to our secondary school in Nigeria in my secondary school days in Nigeria, advance Country have better way to deliver lesson and resources to student compare to Nigeria, But on the other hand its very expensive to study abroad compare to Nigeria.

one of the thing I learn abroad is that the education system prepares you for real world, I remember  when I finish my year one my tutor ask us to write a business plan that if he present it to a bank manager he will walk out of the bank with cash.
Re: Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier by agabaI23(m): 2:52pm On Mar 11, 2011
omo9ja1:

Study environment/resources  is Nigeria is less than the one in advance Country, I work in secondary School in UK, and what I saw there compare to our secondary school in Nigeria in my secondary school days in Nigeria, advance Country have better way to deliver lesson and resources to student compare to Nigeria, But on the other hand its very expensive to study abroad compare to Nigeria.

one of the thing I learn abroad is that the education system prepares you for real world, I remember  when I finish my year one my tutor ask us to write a business plan that if he present it to a bank manager he will walk out of the bank with cash.

So so true! That was the first thing I noticed and I understood why there are many inventions over here. Your mind is prepared to inventions, interventions and productivity.
Re: Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier by Nobody: 2:59pm On Mar 11, 2011
Has anyone bothered to find out why education abroad (US, UK Europe) are better than that of Nigeria i.e better facilities, conducive learning environment, stocked libraries etc. It is because they PAY for it. Nigerians in Naija want to enjoy world class education for how much? N10,000 per session. They are jokers.

Isn't it ironic that the same Nigerians who would demonstrate, riot and cause mayhem over schools fees in Naija would be he first to go abroad for their masters after working for a few years and pay through their nose for quality education (running to millions of naira).

In essence, don't blame the government for the poor education facilities in Nigeria, you are simply getting what u paid for. if you want better, go to a private university or go abroad. Either way, you get what you pay for.
Re: Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier by PeeBee: 3:11pm On Mar 11, 2011
I dont think abroad education is more difficult. I graduated from a department that deals with more practical than theory and trust me it was'nt easy. You get assignments from all your lecturers (which is about 8 a week) and sometimes you dont sleep at night so you can meet up. After everything you get a C or B and cant even graduate with a 1st class degree.
Re: Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier by callme2: 3:16pm On Mar 11, 2011
should i copy your comment and paste on the reply box?
Re: Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier by callme2: 3:18pm On Mar 11, 2011
When you click reply scroll down to the comment you want to make reference to. on the upper right hand corner just below the posted date click on "Insert Quote" give it few seconds this should automatically appear with open quote tag and closing quote tag that should have a forward slash (/) in the text editor. You may write your comment below the closing tag. test with my post lets see if you get it.[quote][/quote]
Re: Why Do Pple Think That Studying Abroad Is Easier by turboman(m): 3:23pm On Mar 11, 2011
Studying  in the UK or US (i don't know about other countries) is way more stressful than studying in an average naija institution. In the Uk, the average naija students have to struggle with part-time jobs and load of course works. However the opposite is the case in naija. The biggest setback and most stressful part of naija institutions is having to contend with victimization from academic staff or cultists.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

WAEC: Computer-based Test Will Lead To Mass Failure In Northern Nigeria / Kaitlin Akwada Becomes Godfrey Okoye Uni VC For 24 Hours After 5.0 Final CGPA / Riot In Bida Poly "Missing Male Organs"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.