Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,396 members, 7,815,860 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:36 PM

Coup Speech Of Major-general Muhammadu Buhari, January 1, 1984 - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Coup Speech Of Major-general Muhammadu Buhari, January 1, 1984 (58663 Views)

The Coup Speech That Overthrew Buhari On August 27, 1985… / Excerpts Of Major Nzeogwu’s Coup Speech / Major Gideon Orkar Coup Speech In April 1990.has Anything Changed Since Then? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Coup Speech Of Major-general Muhammadu Buhari, January 1, 1984 by Kobojunkie: 10:16pm On Mar 16, 2011
POTUT:

I didn't say he has met those commitments. I am only saying[b] his words have drawn him deep into commitments he cannot afford to walk away from[/b], unless, like you have said, he is a wavering, undecided individual.

What are you talking about?
Re: Coup Speech Of Major-general Muhammadu Buhari, January 1, 1984 by agabaI23(m): 11:22pm On Mar 16, 2011
GenBuhari:

I do not believe for one second that  the foriegn reserves OBJ claimed to have built up were genuine, he probably cooked the books with the central bank and may ave temporary moved money about.  I believe it  was part of his strategy for for a 3rd term.
This was in 2008 by then OBJ was no longer the president so third term saga was no longer an issue. Do not forget that oil went for $140/barrel.

GenBuhari:

How can you not have the basics (electricity, security, health ,water)  and yet claim to have amassed $50bn in foriegn reserves?.

How can you use foreign reserves to attract foriegn investment, when there is no electricity or security or infrastructure necessary for such investment?

Countries with large foreign are seen by international investors as investors haven. At the time that we had up to $50bn, we had many companies coming mostly for the banks. After the global melt in 2008, the reserve nose dived and most investors fled. That affected the likes of intercontinental bank that had so much foreign investment. Foreign reserve size is one of the indices that is looked into by foreign investors.
Nigeria had enough money in recent years to provide social amenities. They provided some and left huge amount unattended to.
We still have but somehow the money finds its way into private pockets.

This your 24%to 4%, abi we never talk am finish before? BTW 1.5 years is equal to 18 months, Buhari was there for 20 months.
Re: Coup Speech Of Major-general Muhammadu Buhari, January 1, 1984 by 9ijaMan: 8:29am On Mar 17, 2011
agabaI23:

This was in 2008 by then OBJ was no longer the president so third term saga was no longer an issue. Do not forget that oil went for $140/barrel.
Countries with large foreign are seen by international investors as investors haven. At the time that we had up to $50bn, we had many companies coming mostly for the banks. After the global melt in 2008, the reserve nose dived and most investors fled. That affected the likes of intercontinental bank that had so much foreign investment. Foreign reserve size is one of the indices that is looked into by foreign investors.
Nigeria had enough money in recent years to provide social amenities. They provided some and left huge amount unattended to.

This your 24%to 4%, abi we never talk am finish before? BTW 1.5 years is equal to 18 months, Buhari was there for 20 months.

It is either you are a poor student of economics or you simply don't have a clue about international investment. It is terribly delusional for any sane mind to conclude that foreign reserve is a major factor for attracting FDI (Foreign Direct Investment) into a nation. Ghana, Rwanda and a host of other countries which have finally been able to get their economic perspectives right have far external reserves far less than Nigeria, yet these countries enjoy continued and increasing FDI.

Your foreign reserve plays a minimal role in attracting investors. A stable economy, with good social amenities (roads, healthcare, power, security) and relatively stable and virile political atmosphere are the major factors which are appealing for FDIs to flow into the country. Unfortunately we do not have any of such primary incentives. FDIs shy away from corrupt nation regardless of the value of your foreign reserve.

Ghana's foreign reserves today is most likely under $5 billion (see the figures for end of 2009 in the link below), yet investors (including Nigerians) are trouping into the company to invest. Why? It's simple, Ghana is politically stable, the

http://business.peacefmonline.com/economy/201002/38082.php

I have told you in previous threads that lying will not take you anywhere as you'll be exposed over and over again. Stop making false claims about subjects which you are half baked on.

1 Like

Re: Coup Speech Of Major-general Muhammadu Buhari, January 1, 1984 by agabaI23(m): 12:36pm On Mar 17, 2011
9ijaMan:

It is either you are a poor student of economics or you simply don't have a clue about international investment. It is terribly delusional for any sane mind to conclude that foreign reserve is a major factor for attracting FDI (Foreign Direct Investment) into a nation. Ghana, Rwanda and a host of other countries which have finally been able to get their economic perspectives right have far external reserves far less than Nigeria, yet these countries enjoy continued and increasing FDI.

Your foreign reserve plays a minimal role in attracting investors. A stable economy, with good social amenities (roads, healthcare, power, security) and relatively stable and virile political atmosphere are the major factors which are appealing for FDIs to flow into the country. Unfortunately we do not have any of such primary incentives. FDIs shy away from corrupt nation regardless of the value of your foreign reserve.

Ghana's foreign reserves today is most likely under $5 billion (see the figures for end of 2009 in the link below), yet investors (including Nigerians) are trouping into the company to invest. Why? It's simple, Ghana is politically stable, the

http://business.peacefmonline.com/economy/201002/38082.php

I have told you in previous threads that lying will not take you anywhere as you'll be exposed over and over again. Stop making false claims about subjects which you are half baked on.

You either did not see where I said it is one of the indices considered or may be you chose to ignore it. Calling of names and aggression will not win you any argument but it can only activate an iggy button if it goes to extreme.
My posts kind of brings out the violence in you which also preach with you oga.
Calm down, you will be able o read better and reason better.
Re: Coup Speech Of Major-general Muhammadu Buhari, January 1, 1984 by 9ijaMan: 12:56pm On Mar 17, 2011
There you go lying again. Your comments did not make mention of "one of the indices". As usual when caught pants down you resort to justifying your myopic stance. If pointing out clear cut lies and deception makes you feel uneasy, I'll advice you desist from attempting to deceive people with your lies and deceptions. Remember that you can edit your original posts but will not be able to edit the comments quoted from you by others who comment.

You tried to deceptively hinge influx of FDI on external reserves and I pointed your deception only for you to start whining about being bullied. If you have no knowledge about economic issues, you'll do us all a lot of good by not attempting to us your lack of understanding to deceive others. Just as I've told you in the past, your knowledge in economics is at best shallow even if you have a degree in finance and or economics.

You cannot fool everyone on NL, as you do not have the faintest idea the educational, social and religious background of members on this forum.

Once again, I'll advice you to do your homework well before you come out here to post jargon in your lame bid to defend GEJ and the PDP gangsters.

1 Like

Re: Coup Speech Of Major-general Muhammadu Buhari, January 1, 1984 by agabaI23(m): 1:17pm On Mar 17, 2011
Quote from: agabaI23 on Yesterday at 11:22:30 PM

I copied this from your quote. I know I cannot modify your post. I advised you to calm down and ead before commenting but you are so zealous that you cannot even read before replying.

1 Like

Re: Coup Speech Of Major-general Muhammadu Buhari, January 1, 1984 by tara2: 1:54pm On Mar 17, 2011
How can you not have the basics (electricity, security, health ,water)  and yet claim to have amassed $50bn in foriegn reserves?.

How can you use foreign reserves to attract foriegn investment, when there is no electricity or security or infrastructure necessary for such investment?

Only in Nigeria that facts like this gets turned upside down. Some Nigerians will never see the point and argue blindly.
It's a Nigerian mentality to give N300,000 party spree and the next day borrow N20 for a bus ride to work.

You have $50bn in Foreign Reserve but people are using toilet in the bush and sleep in darkness all nite long, and no water to bath properly after sweating all nite long.

You think, Nigerian people, by now-2011, will demand their Govt. to take the $50bn and create one good liveable State to show their way of thinking is in the right track. NO, instead they ride their new latest BMW in potholes roads, while the poor paise them by shouting Baba Sir, give us something for food. He throws a few Naira into the crowd and say, make sure you Vote for me in the coming election,  okay.

YES SIR, NA GO DEY BABA.
Re: Coup Speech Of Major-general Muhammadu Buhari, January 1, 1984 by 9ijaMan: 2:29pm On Mar 17, 2011
tara2:

Only in Nigeria that facts like this gets turned upside down. Some Nigerians will never see the point and argue blindly.
It's a Nigerian mentality to give N300,000 party spree and the next day borrow N20 for a bus ride to work.

You have $50bn in Foreign Reserve but people are using toilet in the bush and sleep in darkness all nite long, and no water to bath properly after sweating all nite long.

You think, Nigerian people, by now-2011, will demand their Govt. to take the $50bn and create one good liveable State to show their way of thinking is in the right track. NO, instead they ride their new latest BMW in potholes roads, while the poor paise them by shouting Baba Sir, give us something for food. He throws a few Naira into the crowd and say, make sure you Vote for me in the coming election,  okay.

YES SIR, NA GO DEY BABA.

My brother help me ask that agabaI23 guy o! The guy keeps harping on foreign reserve as a prerequisite for FDI when there is dearth of social amenities. If we like we can increase our foreign reserve to $500 billion, no sane investor will come to Nigeria with the high level of insecurity, and the absence of basic social amenities.

@agabaI23,
I will admit to have missed your "one of the indices" comment, but I still maintain that foreign reserve has very little effect, if any, oon how investors will view Nigeria. Isn't it shameful that with Nigeria's external reserves almost 12 times what Ghana had soem years ago, Ghana still attracted more FDIs than Nigeria did.

Stop the delusion and deceptive argument. Go back to your economics class and listen attentively to your teachers.
Re: Coup Speech Of Major-general Muhammadu Buhari, January 1, 1984 by agabaI23(m): 2:41pm On Mar 17, 2011
9ijaMan:

@agabaI23,
I will admit to have missed your "one of the indices" comment, but I still maintain that foreign reserve has very little effect, if any, oon how investors will view Nigeria. Isn't it shameful that with Nigeria's external reserves almost 12 times what Ghana had soem years ago, Ghana still attracted more FDIs than Nigeria did.

Stop the delusion and deceptive argument. Go back to your economics class and listen attentively to your teachers.
Now having accepted that you made a mistake, should I call you a lair, deluded, deceptive, unintelligent? grin
No I will not because I know that even computer programmes are prone to error.

I will excuse you because your zeal for Buhari can only be matched with that of BEAF for GEJ.

BTW that you cannot face my point head on does not make it deceptive.

I argue when I have point to put across if I do not have a valid contrary opinion, I do accept your point of keep quiet. You do not have to be me but calm down, it is only an election except you are OBJ that declared that an elections is a do or die affair.
Re: Coup Speech Of Major-general Muhammadu Buhari, January 1, 1984 by 9ijaMan: 2:59pm On Mar 17, 2011
agabaI23:

Now having accepted that you made a mistake, should I call you a lair, deluded, deceptive, unintelligent? grin
No I will not because I know that even computer programmes are prone to error.

I will excuse you because your zeal for Buhari can only be matched with that of BEAF for GEJ.

BTW that you cannot face my point head on does not make it deceptive.

I argue when I have point to put across if I do not have a valid contrary opinion, I do accept your point of keep quiet. You do not have to be me but calm down, it is only an election except you are OBJ that declared that an elections is a do or die affair.

I am not the type who would fail to admit my mistake or misdeed. I'd rather admit my errors thna attempt to cover up lies with other multiple lies, like you've always done. No one has asked you to stop airing your opinion about issues, the problem is that you often lie and are deceptive in your posts. If you must make make comments on economic issues, you need to firstly state the facts and then you can air your opinion afterwards.

In case you are too lazy to read up how to attract FDI, below are some posts for you to scheme through. None of the authors mentioned external/foreign reserve as a factor for attracting FDI (or foreign investors).
http://www.thefinancialexpress-bd.com/more.php?news_id=97499
http://www.jordanembassyus.org/11262001006.htm

Here's another one!
http://www.iamot.org/conference/index.php/ocs/4/paper/viewFile/560/77

Do not ignorantly or deceptively try to engage in economic issues if you are not well grounded!
Re: Coup Speech Of Major-general Muhammadu Buhari, January 1, 1984 by Btruth: 2:37pm On Jul 31, 2013
......following with interest. Perhaps, it is from history we will find a solutions to our problems.
Re: Coup Speech Of Major-general Muhammadu Buhari, January 1, 1984 by derecho(m): 8:24am On Nov 15, 2014
Kobojunkie:
[size=13pt]Coup Speech of Major-General Muhammadu Buhari, January 1, 1984[/size]
Please read carefully~

In pursuance of the primary objective of saving our great nation from total collapse, I, Major-General Muhammadu Buhari of the Nigerian army have, after due consultation amongst the services of the armed forces, been formally invested with the authority of the Head of the Federal Military Government and the Commander-in-Chief of the armed forces of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. It is with humility and a deep sense of responsibility that I accept this challenge and call to national duty.

As you must have heard in the previous announcement, the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (1979) has been suspended, except those sections of it which are exempted in the constitution.The change became necessary in order to put an end to the serious economic predicament and the crisis of confidence now afflicting our nation. Consequently, the Nigerian armed forces have constituted themselves into a Federal Military Government comprising of a Supreme Military Council, a National Council of States, a Federal Executive Council at the centre and State Executive Councils to be presided over by military governors in each of the states of the federation. Members of these councils will be announced soon.The last Federal Military Government drew up a programme with the aim of handing over political power to the civilians in 1979. This programme as you all know, was implemented to the letter. The 1979 constitution was promulgated. However, little did the military realise that the political leadership of the second republic will circumvent most of the checks and balances in the constitution and bring the present state of general insecurity. The premium on political power became so exceedingly high that[ political contestants regarded victory at elections as a matter of life and death struggle and were determined to capture or retain power by all means.

. . . . .
What is buhari doing now?Who says people don't change?

1 Like

Re: Coup Speech Of Major-general Muhammadu Buhari, January 1, 1984 by Caseless: 8:46am On Nov 15, 2014
Phockphockman, have u read this speech? Read and tel me what u understand.
Re: Coup Speech Of Major-general Muhammadu Buhari, January 1, 1984 by PhockPhockMan: 11:27am On Nov 15, 2014
Caseless:
Phockphockman, have u read this speech? Read and tel me what u understand.
Two wrongs can never make a right. In this case Buhari was wrong. All statistics showed that Buhari left Nigeria more indebted than he met it. The economy was not better either, Nigerians lost their human rights. Look at the last stanza of the speech, you will agree with me that Buhari is a useless hypocrite, how can he hing his actions on desperation and do or die nature of politicians when in actual sense he's the most desperate politician whose thirst for presidential seat reeks do or die.
Re: Coup Speech Of Major-general Muhammadu Buhari, January 1, 1984 by gists: 11:53am On Nov 15, 2014
PhockPhockMan:
Two wrongs can never make a right. In this case Buhari was wrong. All statistics showed that Buhari left Nigeria more indebted than he met it. The economy was not better either, Nigerians lost their human rights. Look at the last stanza of the speech, you will agree with me that Buhari is a useless hypocrite, how can he hing his actions on desperation and do or die nature of politicians when in actual sense he's the most desperate politician whose thirst for presidential seat reeks do or die.

All Buhari need is the APC ticket. Once that is secured, your like can go and hug a wet transformer. Oh I forgot, there is electricity - what a transformation after PHCN privatization.
Re: Coup Speech Of Major-general Muhammadu Buhari, January 1, 1984 by PhockPhockMan: 12:18pm On Nov 15, 2014
gists:

All Buhari need is the APC ticket. Once that is secured, your like can go and hug a wet transformer. Oh I forgot, there is electricity - what a transformation after PHCN privatization.
Buhari is an over rated pig. I expect all you Buhari supporters to romance crocodile after 14 February next year, that is if he wins the primary.
Re: Coup Speech Of Major-general Muhammadu Buhari, January 1, 1984 by Caseless: 12:55pm On Nov 15, 2014
PhockPhockMan:
phockery, i knw u'd come off like this. U ignored d part he sounded as not being part of d coup that brought him into power and so many other things.
Liar!!
Re: Coup Speech Of Major-general Muhammadu Buhari, January 1, 1984 by Chicheey: 1:09pm On Nov 15, 2014
Can someone pls give a good reasons to vote.
Re: Coup Speech Of Major-general Muhammadu Buhari, January 1, 1984 by PhockPhockMan: 1:43pm On Nov 15, 2014
Caseless:
phockery, i knw u'd come off like this. U ignored d part he sounded as not being part of d coup that brought him into power and so many other things.
Liar!!
Buhari knew he committed sacrilege by toppling democratically elected government hence the need for soft and diplomatic tone. If the essence of this thread is to deceive somebody like me that Buhari is not part of the coup that brought him into power, then........
Re: Coup Speech Of Major-general Muhammadu Buhari, January 1, 1984 by OkoNDOoBo: 9:55am On May 01, 2016
hbrednic:
Buhari is a wolf, Nigerians will never forget the hardship suffered under this mans draconian rule,
this the man that refused to call for an election,maybe he wanted to rule forever ( thank God IBB threw him out ).
the same man that jailed Tai Solarin 4 distributing leaflets calling for a return to democracy.

If nigerians don't forget the hardship under him, did ghost vote him as the president..
Hater oshi..!!!!
Re: Coup Speech Of Major-general Muhammadu Buhari, January 1, 1984 by speciallymade(m): 10:03am On May 01, 2016
I have been checking out this thread and I have come across lot of sensible and matured analysis and comments without insults or derogatory words, that was when nairaland was still been used by adults, I mean matured minds they passed across their opinions without insulting anyone but what do we have today?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Coup Speech Of Major-general Muhammadu Buhari, January 1, 1984 by SmartMugu: 10:07am On May 01, 2016
ekubear1:
Great post, Kobojunkie.
Lol at Kobojunkie. Funny name.
Re: Coup Speech Of Major-general Muhammadu Buhari, January 1, 1984 by Surfboard(m): 10:21am On May 01, 2016
This was by Theophilus Danjuma on why he didn't think Buhari would be good in a political office as a soldier.

Still holds true till this day.

3 Likes

Re: Coup Speech Of Major-general Muhammadu Buhari, January 1, 1984 by Moheat(m): 10:38am On May 01, 2016
naijaking1:
Do we have IBB's coup speech on why he deposed Buhari. That will be a good summation of Buhari's regime too, and a pointer for all those supporting his present campaign.
Is already on fp.
Re: Coup Speech Of Major-general Muhammadu Buhari, January 1, 1984 by Nobody: 10:42am On May 01, 2016
The foundation on which this country was built is faulty right from the inception. Our past leaders and founding fathers had been greedy and selfish all along... I suggest two options 1) Implement true federalism 2) or we go our seperate ways...

1 Like

Re: Coup Speech Of Major-general Muhammadu Buhari, January 1, 1984 by Nobody: 10:46am On May 01, 2016
The foundation on which this country was built is faulty right from the inception. Our past leaders and founding fathers had been greedy and selfish all along... I suggest two options 1) Implement true federalism or 2) we go our seperate ways...

1 Like

Re: Coup Speech Of Major-general Muhammadu Buhari, January 1, 1984 by Nobody: 10:58am On May 01, 2016
hbrednic:
Buhari is a wolf, Nigerians will never forget the hardship suffered under this mans draconian rule,
this the man that refused to call for an election,maybe he wanted to rule forever ( thank God IBB threw him out ).
the same man that jailed Tai Solarin 4 distributing leaflets calling for a return to democracy.

Have you forgotten fela?

Our problem is 5% our leaders and 95% our educational system that has continually failed to teach people how to reject people like buhari.

1 Like

Re: Coup Speech Of Major-general Muhammadu Buhari, January 1, 1984 by dokunbam(m): 11:37am On May 01, 2016
md4real:
Guys seriously, read buhari's speech again and ask yourself, aint everything he is saying still the same issue we are suffering from.
Let give this guy a chance to fix this nation.
Re: Coup Speech Of Major-general Muhammadu Buhari, January 1, 1984 by Nobody: 11:50am On May 01, 2016
That same military dictator is here again, thirty something years later. Only this time, he doesn't wear a uniform. But he behaves and talks like before.
Visionless country.
Re: Coup Speech Of Major-general Muhammadu Buhari, January 1, 1984 by ademusiwa11: 12:13pm On May 01, 2016
[size=28pt]I will see, how all of you will be collecting contract under the military.

There are no civillian there. The obas you don't respect now, are the one they deal with.

.[/size]
Re: Coup Speech Of Major-general Muhammadu Buhari, January 1, 1984 by Mbediogu(m): 1:06pm On May 01, 2016
Kobojunkie:
[size=13pt]Coup Speech of Major-General Muhammadu Buhari, January 1, 1984[/size]
Please read carefully~

In pursuance of the primary objective of saving our great nation from total collapse, I, Major-General Muhammadu Buhari of the Nigerian army have, after due consultation amongst the services of the armed forces, been formally invested with the authority of the Head of the Federal Military Government and the Commander-in-Chief of the armed forces of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. It is with humility and a deep sense of responsibility that I accept this challenge and call to national duty.

As you must have heard in the previous announcement, the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (1979) has been suspended, except those sections of it which are exempted in the constitution.The change became necessary in order to put an end to the serious economic predicament and the crisis of confidence now afflicting our nation. Consequently, the Nigerian armed forces have constituted themselves into a Federal Military Government comprising of a Supreme Military Council, a National Council of States, a Federal Executive Council at the centre and State Executive Councils to be presided over by military governors in each of the states of the federation. Members of these councils will be announced soon.The last Federal Military Government drew up a programme with the aim of handing over political power to the civilians in 1979. This programme as you all know, was implemented to the letter. The 1979 constitution was promulgated. However, little did the military realise that the political leadership of the second republic will circumvent most of the checks and balances in the constitution and bring the present state of general insecurity. The premium on political power became so exceedingly high that political contestants regarded victory at elections as a matter of life and death struggle and were determined to capture or retain power by all means.

. . . . .

. . The constitution is suspended excerpt those sections of it which are exempted in the constitution. .

What type of this is this? Oh good beans!
Re: Coup Speech Of Major-general Muhammadu Buhari, January 1, 1984 by Ameboperoo(m): 1:13pm On May 01, 2016
Nigeria is caught up in a vicious cycle. I weep for my country. cry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Yoruba Obas Squatting To Snap With Buhari (Photo) / Iwo Road, Ibadan Decorated For Christmas. Looking Beautiful At Night (Video) / Chidiogo Akunyili Mimics Her Mother, Dora Akunyili's Posture

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.