Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,339 members, 7,819,200 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:36 PM

The Increasing Menace Of "Wrong Number" - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / The Increasing Menace Of "Wrong Number" (19128 Views)

American Man Traces Owner Of Wrong Number That Has Been Calling Him For 20 Years / How We Can Address The Increasing Menace Of "Marketers" In The Phone Section. / I Need Help: I Am A Victim Of Wrong Phone Tracking [my Story] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Increasing Menace Of "Wrong Number" by money121(m): 12:35pm On Nov 07, 2020
Ok
Re: The Increasing Menace Of "Wrong Number" by Strongbest(m): 12:36pm On Nov 07, 2020
Evergreen4:
Once an aboki calls you. The first word is salamaleku

Lols

1 Like

Re: The Increasing Menace Of "Wrong Number" by Shadysen: 12:36pm On Nov 07, 2020
aboki hand work.
Re: The Increasing Menace Of "Wrong Number" by Lawdis(m): 12:36pm On Nov 07, 2020
....this wan taya mi abeg
Re: The Increasing Menace Of "Wrong Number" by Yada01(m): 12:37pm On Nov 07, 2020
I experience same.

Many will call and refer to me as minister, but I never cared to ask further which minister.
Re: The Increasing Menace Of "Wrong Number" by Seniorwriter(m): 12:37pm On Nov 07, 2020
Our policies make so many companies take us for a ride.....In Nigeria you have to be very proactive to enjoy normal and simple human previleges! It's what it is...

Proactivity Leads To Productivity!

© Seniorwriter

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Increasing Menace Of "Wrong Number" by ORIAYO70(m): 12:38pm On Nov 07, 2020
uncleck:
My main line is an MTN line that I've used for more than a decade. I can't even remember when I started using it, but it's before 2010. I have retrieved It severally due to phone loss. But my experience with wrong number always leaves a bitter taste...

Two weeks ago, a lady told me on facebook that she blocked me on WhatsApp and deleted my contact; I tried to message her but it wasn't going through. When I asked her, she said she called my line and a woman picked it and told her she's married with kids. After calling severally...the woman warned her not to call again.

I do receive calls severally from people who call me different names and with full confidence of the destination they're trying to reach. Some will just call and start talking without verifying who they are speaking to. I have severally been a barrister. Severally a generator technician etc. This is not a case of only those Hausas, I am called by people of different backgrounds.

What prompted me to create this post now is a call I received few minutes ago. The caller is trying to reach Ifeanyi. He doesn't believe that I don't know who Ifeanyi is. He has called three times urging me to give the phone to the owner.

I remember a time a girl called and started to abuse me thinking I'm one uncle of hers.

Does anyone have similar experience? Please share

Yes not you alone...
A lady called from Abuja telling me I should meet one Herbalist in Ogun state, she gave the description of the place, telling me the Baba was behind their flourishing ministries in Abuja..

Alas!!! When she heard my voice I perceive she almost fainted

2 Likes

Re: The Increasing Menace Of "Wrong Number" by ugofulfilled(m): 12:41pm On Nov 07, 2020
Crownp:
Mtn dishing out welcome back sims to new users reeks stupidity... I bought a new sim recently and upon backing up my contacts, i met the old contacts of someone who used the sim... People call me almost everyday saying they want to speak with one person or the other

I did welcome back, backed my contacts up. but I can't seem to retrieve my contacts.

1 Like

Re: The Increasing Menace Of "Wrong Number" by Brandonx(m): 12:43pm On Nov 07, 2020
grin
Re: The Increasing Menace Of "Wrong Number" by Nobody: 12:44pm On Nov 07, 2020
i have experienced it in the past.the person on the other end will either be speaking hausa or yoruba

1 Like

Re: The Increasing Menace Of "Wrong Number" by leisuretym: 12:47pm On Nov 07, 2020
Yes one told me I stole her husband's phone

1 Like

Re: The Increasing Menace Of "Wrong Number" by gwanggaeto(m): 12:53pm On Nov 07, 2020
uncleck:
My main line is an MTN line that I've used for more than a decade. I can't even remember when I started using it, but it's before 2010. I have retrieved It severally due to phone loss. But my experience with wrong number always leaves a bitter taste...

Two weeks ago, a lady told me on facebook that she blocked me on WhatsApp and deleted my contact; I tried to message her but it wasn't going through. When I asked her, she said she called my line and a woman picked it and told her she's married with kids. After calling severally...the woman warned her not to call again.

I do receive calls severally from people who call me different names and with full confidence of the destination they're trying to reach. Some will just call and start talking without verifying who they are speaking to. I have severally been a barrister. Severally a generator technician etc. This is not a case of only those Hausas, I am called by people of different backgrounds.

What prompted me to create this post now is a call I received few minutes ago. The caller is trying to reach Ifeanyi. He doesn't believe that I don't know who Ifeanyi is. He has called three times urging me to give the phone to the owner.

I remember a time a girl called and started to abuse me thinking I'm one uncle of hers.

This is what I am currently facing and it is mostly people who speak Hausa that called my line everyday...what can I do about it?
Re: The Increasing Menace Of "Wrong Number" by Blackmoran(m): 12:53pm On Nov 07, 2020
Virus99:
All I know is that when a wrong number called you it is usually an Hausa person... When you call a wrong number it is still an Hausa person that will pick grin grin ;

I don't understand....
like seriously, I tried calling one of my old friend last night.. It is one deep Hausa man that picked the call

5 Likes

Re: The Increasing Menace Of "Wrong Number" by Omezif(m): 12:53pm On Nov 07, 2020
But why can't you change another one if you don't like disturbance.
Re: The Increasing Menace Of "Wrong Number" by Kharol1234: 12:55pm On Nov 07, 2020
Na every sim get that wahala
Re: The Increasing Menace Of "Wrong Number" by spyglaxx: 12:56pm On Nov 07, 2020
leisuretym:
Yes one told me I stole her husband's phone

He told me i stole his phone still get mind dey use number. Oya call the number. it was the same number.

The other one called from Saudi Arabia telling me to give the phone to the owner.

3 Likes

Re: The Increasing Menace Of "Wrong Number" by faithfull18(f): 1:00pm On Nov 07, 2020
AltCtrlDel:
Just this morning someone called me and here is the convo;

Caller: Omo! Guy! I'm so very sorry to hear about your Dad. Pls let me know if I can help in anyway

Me: (I almost said wrong n..........) Ok bro I'll keep u posted. I appreciate.

I've called my old boy, dude is doing pretty good. Now I've typed and untyped my account number more than 50times within the last 4hours to send to this unknown destiny helper. As a matter of fact my gas just finish
Lol.
Re: The Increasing Menace Of "Wrong Number" by Nobody: 1:01pm On Nov 07, 2020
uncleck:

Even after tell them it's a wrong number, they continue calling with confidence that it is u who is wrong. These telecoms should get theirselves right honestly.
Re: The Increasing Menace Of "Wrong Number" by lenghtinny(m): 1:03pm On Nov 07, 2020
Na those Mallams own worse pass.......

Recently, there’s this number that belongs to a mallam disturbing my peace....

There was a time a line from Niger (229) that was calling my line

2 Likes

Re: The Increasing Menace Of "Wrong Number" by BREYZ: 1:08pm On Nov 07, 2020
uncleck:

Yes bro. Mine is on glo Network. My name suddenly changed to Solomon grin wink cheesy theres this family that calls always and I've told them that it's a wrong number but they never seem to give up grin

2 Likes

Re: The Increasing Menace Of "Wrong Number" by nedekid: 1:08pm On Nov 07, 2020
fijiano202:
Lol...it's normal in Nigeria...na aboki manini common pass
Shoo...
I thought this aboki stuff na only me. Lol
Once sef aboki call be several times say I call im wife. I say no be me. He kept on calling. I said I am not aboki, that I even stay in Lagos and not north.. I cut phone, aboki say em go find me behead himself. Haba, Boko Haram people shocked? Na so I humble come de send text say seriously na mixed up calls, I do not know his wife or called that number say na network. I beg am no to vex say I rude to am. This was about 5 years ago. Lol

5 Likes

Re: The Increasing Menace Of "Wrong Number" by aleeyus(m): 1:14pm On Nov 07, 2020
nedekid:

Shoo...
I thought this aboki stuff na only me. Lol
Once sef aboki call be several times say I call im wife. I say no be me. He kept on calling. I said I am not aboki, that I even stay on Lagos and not north.. I cut phone, aboki say em go find me behead himself. Haba, Boko Haram people shocked? Na so o humble come de send text say seriously na mixed up calls, I do not know his wife or called that number say na network. I beg am no to vex say I rude to am. This was about 5 years ago. Lol
grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: The Increasing Menace Of "Wrong Number" by uncleck: 1:15pm On Nov 07, 2020
TheBillyboy:
I've had my fair share of this wrong number issue. I don't bother myself this days, I just hang up once I notice we both don't know each other. If the caller insist on calling, I jejely block am. Can't let you kill my battery for me
what about those who may want to reach you but are diverted?
Re: The Increasing Menace Of "Wrong Number" by uncleck: 1:15pm On Nov 07, 2020
Crownp:
Mtn dishing out welcome back sims to new users reeks stupidity... I bought a new sim recently and upon backing up my contacts, i met the old contacts of someone who used the sim... People call me almost everyday saying they want to speak with one person or the other
what about users of old SIM?
Re: The Increasing Menace Of "Wrong Number" by ecomalchemist(m): 1:17pm On Nov 07, 2020
who dey ?
Re: The Increasing Menace Of "Wrong Number" by uncleck: 1:20pm On Nov 07, 2020
Ahmback:
It means you're sharing same number with different people,,,,,happens mostly with MTN.

if you become inactive with their line within 3 - 6 months, they will resell your number
but I've consistently used the line for more than 10 years

1 Like

Re: The Increasing Menace Of "Wrong Number" by uncleck: 1:21pm On Nov 07, 2020
Omezif:
But why can't you change another one if you don't like disturbance.
Oga, this number is like my gmail account. I can't let them go
Re: The Increasing Menace Of "Wrong Number" by brighter: 1:36pm On Nov 07, 2020
Very terrible experience.

I started using my number since mid 2005. Along the line, calls meant for a married business man was coming through my line.

-from a driver telling me his trailer load of goods got bad along Ore high way.

-many customer want to speak with oga.

-many of them want to speak with their uncle.

.one of his relative challenging me to return the phone to the owner.

-the wife shouting @ me to give phone to her husband (I was dumbfounded )

-his daughter crying asking me to pity her & give the phone to her dad as she is in a difficult situation (this case made me cry)

so many cases too numerous to mention, I was forced to call MTN customer to verify how many people using the same number & they insist I am the sole owner.

I can't just change a number I have been using for over a decade

4 Likes

Re: The Increasing Menace Of "Wrong Number" by Obim4eva(m): 1:39pm On Nov 07, 2020
My brother is not only MTN, currently am experiencing same with Airtel,i bought a Sim did the registration,to my greatest surprise Truecaller do show the name as Joshua instead of my name,and last week a lady called that she wants to speak with her brother Joshua.

2 Likes

Re: The Increasing Menace Of "Wrong Number" by fabolouz1(m): 1:40pm On Nov 07, 2020
I get calls from people speaking hausa language randomly and even when you politely tell them it's a wrong number ,they keep calling and insisting it isn't .
Other calls using different names , it's annoying at times .

1 Like

Re: The Increasing Menace Of "Wrong Number" by lexander(m): 1:47pm On Nov 07, 2020
They need to be sued since phone numbers are already been tied to BVN they should stop selling used phone numbers

2 Likes

Re: The Increasing Menace Of "Wrong Number" by azikiweironsi(m): 1:47pm On Nov 07, 2020
Whao!! I thought it was only me that experienced this.
Several times an aboki will call and before you say jack, he says Salam Alekun and God knows what he says again. When I say wrong no, he will call again. This was like this for almost a week before I decided to block him off. So pathetic.
Many afterwards from several people.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

We Did Not Sack Oyagbola And We Paid No Bribe - MTN. / These Ads On My Phone Are Making Me Sick And Tired / I Bought Redmi 8 Because Of Nairaland Now This Is Happening

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.