Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,089 members, 7,825,434 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 02:30 PM

The Increasing Menace Of "Wrong Number" - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / The Increasing Menace Of "Wrong Number" (19138 Views)

American Man Traces Owner Of Wrong Number That Has Been Calling Him For 20 Years / How We Can Address The Increasing Menace Of "Marketers" In The Phone Section. / I Need Help: I Am A Victim Of Wrong Phone Tracking [my Story] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Increasing Menace Of "Wrong Number" by IMAliyu(m): 1:52pm On Nov 07, 2020
Hmm..
This is interesting, cause for North here most wrong numbers are never Hausa.
Sometimes you hear either pigin English or Igbo, but mostly just a random tribal language.

2 Likes

Re: The Increasing Menace Of "Wrong Number" by belente(m): 1:53pm On Nov 07, 2020
ugofulfilled:

I did welcome back, backed my contacts up. but I can't seem to retrieve my contacts.
next if you buy a new phone put your email address you you used with the former phone after you must have retrieved your lost sim card
Re: The Increasing Menace Of "Wrong Number" by nedekid: 1:55pm On Nov 07, 2020
Nigeriabiafra80:
Hausa known for wrong number
Igbos known for am almost there
Yoruba shouting on phone
This country is a full comedy channel
Edo nko, known for " This is customer service from ya bank, how are you? Did you receive the code we sent yo you?" grin

2 Likes

Re: The Increasing Menace Of "Wrong Number" by Quality20(m): 2:01pm On Nov 07, 2020
But what is aboki?
Re: The Increasing Menace Of "Wrong Number" by Coneheadyutes(m): 2:08pm On Nov 07, 2020
grin grin
Re: The Increasing Menace Of "Wrong Number" by NECO1998: 2:09pm On Nov 07, 2020
Your experiences are even small compared to what I have been facing for a long time now. Imagine a situation where a woman and her husband harassing me of being in possession of her daughter's phone for almost 2 years. The wife was calling everyday that I should give her daughter the phone that she wants to speak with her. The harassment was so much that one day the father and mother called that they want to speak to their daughter. I ask them about the whereabout of their daughter, they said she traveled 2 days ago. I told them to ask her next time if someone other than her has been in possession of her phone that I was getting tired of their constant harassment. That was how that case was solved.

1 Like

Re: The Increasing Menace Of "Wrong Number" by Coneheadyutes(m): 2:09pm On Nov 07, 2020
Quality20:
But what is aboki?

Hausa or fulani person.

1 Like

Re: The Increasing Menace Of "Wrong Number" by Nobody: 2:17pm On Nov 07, 2020
New sim matter get as e be oo

Few days after a friend of mine bought a new sim, he began to receive bank alerts (of the previous user). He tried recharging using ussd code & it was successful. Then I told him not to recharge again, to save the owner's money. Months later, we realized the money in the account is still the same, no debit or credit. Then, we assumed the owner of the bank account ( the sim's previous user) must have died. Na so my friend dey recharge dey go. He always had enough data until the account became empty.
Re: The Increasing Menace Of "Wrong Number" by Fhowe: 2:30pm On Nov 07, 2020
uncleck:
My main line is an MTN line that I've used for more than a decade. I can't even remember when I started using it, but it's before 2010. I have retrieved It severally due to phone loss. But my experience with wrong number always leaves a bitter taste...

Two weeks ago, a lady told me on facebook that she blocked me on WhatsApp and deleted my contact; I tried to message her but it wasn't going through. When I asked her, she said she called my line and a woman picked it and told her she's married with kids. After calling severally...the woman warned her not to call again.

I do receive calls severally from people who call me different names and with full confidence of the destination they're trying to reach. Some will just call and start talking without verifying who they are speaking to. I have severally been a barrister. Severally a generator technician etc. This is not a case of only those Hausas, I am called by people of different backgrounds.

What prompted me to create this post now is a call I received few minutes ago. The caller is trying to reach Ifeanyi. He doesn't believe that I don't know who Ifeanyi is. He has called three times urging me to give the phone to the owner.

I remember a time a girl called and started to abuse me thinking I'm one uncle of hers.

Does anyone have similar experience? Please share
Oga what are you waiting for ? Do away with that number cause the way things are right now in the country it is not safe using such a number my own advice
Re: The Increasing Menace Of "Wrong Number" by ello29(m): 2:30pm On Nov 07, 2020
Yes, I have had similar experience too. I think this network providers in Nigeria should rise up to their challenges and stop all this call diversion. Changing user phone numbers should be addressed and proceed should be followed
Re: The Increasing Menace Of "Wrong Number" by ehinmowo: 2:35pm On Nov 07, 2020
The height of it was when I went to Plateau. I will call a contact on my phone, only for someone else to pick. Sometimes people call me and started speak Hausa.

But down south, it has only happened to me like 4 times.
Re: The Increasing Menace Of "Wrong Number" by Abeos(m): 2:39pm On Nov 07, 2020
Still faced this thing yesterday though usually the Hausa callers. They'll just call and start blabbing in their language without confirming it's the right person. Tell them wrong number yet they'll keep calling up to 3 times, had to block a female one completely when she didn't stop calling for days

1 Like

Re: The Increasing Menace Of "Wrong Number" by Ahmback(m): 2:41pm On Nov 07, 2020
uncleck:
but I've consistently used the line for more than 10 years
call their customer care line and complain to them
Re: The Increasing Menace Of "Wrong Number" by Oxtertee(m): 3:01pm On Nov 07, 2020
I do experience same on my old Mtn line have been using over 10yrs. Thou the worng no callers are people from the north, what I hear immediately I answer the call is "aslam maleikum"

1 Like

Re: The Increasing Menace Of "Wrong Number" by millionboi2: 3:13pm On Nov 07, 2020
Yada01:
I experience same.

Many will call and refer to me as minister, but I never cared to ask further which minister.
hahahaha

You should have asked which of the office did you meet me
Re: The Increasing Menace Of "Wrong Number" by Nobody: 3:13pm On Nov 07, 2020
One aboki and him wife called me for straight 2 years. seems that they are look for a family member who traveled and hasn't returned, I explained tire, colleagues, friends, family all tried to explained that is a wrong number. They still kept calling for 2 years I got used to it sometimes I will ok the call and allow their airtime to waste while sometimes I feel pity cos they are looking for someone especially the wife, until I lost that sim.

1 Like

Re: The Increasing Menace Of "Wrong Number" by Elsueno: 3:29pm On Nov 07, 2020
Evergreen4:
Once an aboki calls you. The first word is salamaleku

lol, it means peace be upon you, it's kind of a well wish grin

2 Likes

Re: The Increasing Menace Of "Wrong Number" by Glawrie: 3:31pm On Nov 07, 2020
grin
AltCtrlDel:
Just this morning someone called me and here is the convo;

Caller: Omo! Guy! I'm so very sorry to hear about your Dad. Pls let me know if I can help in anyway

Me: (I almost said wrong n..........) Ok bro I'll keep u posted. I appreciate.

I've called my old boy, dude is doing pretty good. Now I've typed and untyped my account number more than 50times within the last 4hours to send to this unknown destiny helper. As a matter of fact my gas just finish
cheesy
AltCtrlDel:
Just this morning someone called me and here is the convo;

Caller: Omo! Guy! I'm so very sorry to hear about your Dad. Pls let me know if I can help in anyway

Me: (I almost said wrong n..........) Ok bro I'll keep u posted. I appreciate.

I've called my old boy, dude is doing pretty good. Now I've typed and untyped my account number more than 50times within the last 4hours to send to this unknown destiny helper. As a matter of fact my gas just finish
Just be careful. It could be one of those scammers
Re: The Increasing Menace Of "Wrong Number" by lilfresh96(m): 3:35pm On Nov 07, 2020
Evergreen4:
Once an aboki calls you. The first word is salamaleku
it simply means peace be upon you

4 Likes

Re: The Increasing Menace Of "Wrong Number" by authority2006(m): 3:37pm On Nov 07, 2020
Virus99:
All I know is that when a wrong number called you it is usually an Hausa person... When you call a wrong number it is still an Hausa person that will pick grin grin ;

I don't understand....
Sonnobax15:
grin. Say hi if you had never received a call(s) from Aboki since phone came into 9ja......

Someone can not dial a wrong number in peace for once hoping it would be the number of the daughter of one notable, wealthy Nigerian without hearing Salam maleku from the other side

It shows that Hausa are in large number in Nigeria, not just on paper as southerners believe.
Re: The Increasing Menace Of "Wrong Number" by Genesils(m): 3:37pm On Nov 07, 2020
And everytime these aboki girls wrongly dial my number, they always seem to have enough airtime to keep calling even after I drop the call or pick without saying a word for minutes.

Very annoying!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Increasing Menace Of "Wrong Number" by DjsirP1(m): 4:00pm On Nov 07, 2020
its not only u. Mine is dat someone call me telling me to pay him his 500k back. I was suprised so i had to call mtn customer services for complaint but i was told to tell anyone dat call me dat its a mistake.
Re: The Increasing Menace Of "Wrong Number" by DjsirP1(m): 4:04pm On Nov 07, 2020
yea its true.
Re: The Increasing Menace Of "Wrong Number" by Zeroenochone(m): 4:12pm On Nov 07, 2020
100naira:
Na de Mallams' own de vex me pass.

They will not confirm who de d call and they will start rambling angry angry

Bro you get!!!
Re: The Increasing Menace Of "Wrong Number" by salam8528: 4:30pm On Nov 07, 2020
Me na Igbo people dey call me pass
Re: The Increasing Menace Of "Wrong Number" by armadeo(m): 4:46pm On Nov 07, 2020
nedekid:

Shoo...
I thought this aboki stuff na only me. Lol
Once sef aboki call be several times say I call im wife. I say no be me. He kept on calling. I said I am not aboki, that I even stay in Lagos and not north.. I cut phone, aboki say em go find me behead himself. Haba, Boko Haram people shocked? Na so I humble come de send text say seriously na mixed up calls, I do not know his wife or called that number say na network. I beg am no to vex say I rude to am. This was about 5 years ago. Lol

Lol sacred dude.

Man you made me laugh.

Reminds me of one morning I got a call from my guy and I picked and a guy started talking I said wrong number and and we cut.

I called my guy back and the guy said someone picked his call and was threatening to kill him for screwing his wife.

Dude was dumb founded.

P.s I've got a lot of aboki call me blasting hausa before I even say hello.

I just scream wrong number and drop the call.

1 Like

Re: The Increasing Menace Of "Wrong Number" by akmath: 5:33pm On Nov 07, 2020
I called my cousin with my new GLO line and he said what TRUECALLER brought was Pastor Sunday.

Can you imagine, me pastor.

1 Like

Re: The Increasing Menace Of "Wrong Number" by Ademoore07(m): 5:34pm On Nov 07, 2020
I experienced it today also
Re: The Increasing Menace Of "Wrong Number" by emoney09: 5:39pm On Nov 07, 2020
Reselling of old previously registered sims should be banned

2 Likes

Re: The Increasing Menace Of "Wrong Number" by chachanga: 7:17pm On Nov 07, 2020
Ademola47:
I had similar experience last month.

About 4 Hausa guys mistakenly called my number that day.

You mean abokis still do that? Hilarious lot they are cheesy cheesy cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Android Has That iOS Doesn't Have / Does Nigeria Mtn Sim Work In Ghana? / Latest MTN Internet Data Bundles/plans With Subcription Codes/sms,data Allowance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.