Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,355 members, 7,957,951 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 05:22 AM

Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets (34618 Views)

Fulanis: The Major Cause Of Culture Clash In Nigeria / Letter From Africa: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets / Malcolm Omirhobo Sues FG, CBN, AGF Over Arabic Inscription On Naira, Army Logo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by LLMG: 7:04pm On Nov 15, 2020
You and yours are systematically being rendered irrelevant and you don't see anything wrong with it. Islamization agenda didn't start today. Very soon Christian community and southern Nigeria will regret their foolishness in being docile when the north and muslim community are busy strategizing against them.
DropsMic:
All these things are Unnecessary....
Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by LLMG: 7:05pm On Nov 15, 2020
True talk.
Rugaria:
Cultural chauvinism! Some people feel that because they have been in power for long, they can force down their beliefs on others. It will backfire someday..

1 Like

Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by LLMG: 7:08pm On Nov 15, 2020
You are not a Christian.
GOTVee:
sadEven though I've been a born again Christian of over 25 years, I think we Christians really need to let the sleeping Dog lie. I have been to several Arab nations on tourism and Evangelism and I can attest to the fact that Arabic remains one of the unique and outstanding languages on earth. What is the big deal in having Arabic inscriptions on Naira notes and Army uniform? Nigeria is a country of Muslim majority and due to their numerical advantage I think the Muslims deserve to have the Arabic as a national symbol. I mostly prefer to read my bible in Arabic language for better understanding despite being a Christian. The Muslims in this country have never complained of the fact that the national language is English. The Christian missionaries brough English language to Nigeria and our dear Muslim brothers easily accepted it without fuss. Why are we Christians trouble some unnecessarily? We Christians really to be careful not to cause a national disaster sad
Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by Bluffly: 7:10pm On Nov 15, 2020
Empiree:
This is US congress. Built like mosque too?. It is obvious that Christians are destroyers of peace in the country

Stop trying hard to shy away from the truth. That's an architectural master piece to the Americans and a religious symbol to the Northern muslims here. Red in Africa means danger, bad and evil while red in China means fire, love, happiness...
This is Nigeria and not America. This is Nigeria were Northerners muslim are trying so hard to claim that its theirs and not others. What ever replica you see in Nigeria for now is for Tribal and religious gains. Christian's have no special court that kills and maim people but Islam does. You can't leave in peace in the North as a christian but you can live in south peacefully as a Muslim. So who are the destroyers. Christian's are after soul winning while muslims are after land grabbing.
Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by Empiree: 7:13pm On Nov 15, 2020
What the heck are you talking about?
Bluffly:

Stop trying hard to shy away from the truth. That's an architectural master piece to the Americans and a religious symbol to the Northern muslims here. Red in Africa means danger, bad and evil while red in China means fire, love, happiness...
This is Nigeria and not America. This is Nigeria were Northerners muslim are trying so hard to claim that its theirs and not others. What ever replica you see in Nigeria for now is for Tribal and religious gains. Christian's have no special court that kills and maim people but Islam does. You can't leave in peace in the North as a christian but you can live in south peacefully as a Muslim. So who are the destroyers. Christian's are after soul winning while muslims are after land grabbing.
Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by Bluffly: 7:14pm On Nov 15, 2020
Empiree:
What the heck are you talking about?
See and decipher
Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by Empiree: 7:16pm On Nov 15, 2020
Bluffly:

See and decipher
nothing to decipher. I am simply trying you that you don't make sense. Your post doesn't relate.
Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by LLMG: 7:18pm On Nov 15, 2020
Very soon even the right to careless you won't have it anymore. [quote author=sapientia post=960unfortunate

We learn nothing in Nigerian schools.

Brains are never trained to think on their own

Every focus is on passing exam.

The way we set priorities is always petty.

Am a southerner but I could careless for what neither add value nor remove value from our currency.

Even if everything is written in roman and Arabic front and back of the note, it can only buy 1 litre of fuel for N170. [/quote]
Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by Bluffly: 7:20pm On Nov 15, 2020
Empiree:
nothing to decipher. I am simply trying you that you don't make sense. Your post doesn't relate.
You said this

Empiree:
This is US congress. Built like mosque too?. It is obvious that Christians are destroyers of peace in the country

And I responded telling you who the destroyers are. So how does it not make sense to you. Obviously the truth does not make sense
Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by ehinmowo: 7:22pm On Nov 15, 2020
ThatFairGuy:
Citing this 1000 note as an example, The Arabic inscription on it simply means NAIRA DUBU(Hausa language) in Transliteration which means #1000.

It's Hausa language but written in Arabic.

The Arabic word for a thousand naira is ألف not نير دوبو as it's on our thousand note.

I can also write egberun naira (Yoruba language) in Arabic as we have it in Hausa language (but written in Arabic) on our note. As well as in Igbo.

أيبر نير egberun naira (#1000).

IT'S JUST A LANGUAGE as explained in this write-up, nothing like ISLAMIZATION. We all need to look away on some certain things if we must live in peace, Which is ESSENTIAL.

I can sight some examples of what we're also using in Nigeria that are related to Christianity but no fuss from Muslim side.

WE NEED TO STOP ALL THESE UNNECESSARY FUSS

MODIFIED
Nigerians values religion more than even ethnicity, how I wish the values in religion can be impacted in our doings.

Mention upon mention

You will agree with me that ALL major languages in NIgeria now have standard way of writing. You will also agree with me that English is the only official language of the state. Till this day, Catholics write in Latin. The question is what stops CBN from either writing in official language and, if need be, in indigenous languages?

If other people begin to demand for Latin and Hebrew on the Naira note, or in d NIgeria Army insignia, wouldn't it be chaotic? How will it be if victory come from Jehovah, or from Ogun etc are added to the the NA insignia?

The reality is having victory comes from Allah or Arabic inscription in the Naira has religious undertone. NIgeria state cannot be known with religion.

A little digression, it gross infringement on people's right and the constitution to sponsor some religion to the so called holy city. And that evil organization of Islamic Countries. It's either you add all the hundreds of religious inscriptions in the country or scrap d shit.
Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by Skelewudprince: 7:22pm On Nov 15, 2020
And why don't they write their names in Arabic?
They use the normal alphabet to write their names and to write everything in Hausa.
Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by ThatFairGuy: 7:27pm On Nov 15, 2020
ehinmowo:

You will agree with me that ALL major languages in NIgeria now have standard way of writing. You will also agree with me that English is the only official language of the state. Till this day, Catholics write in Latin. The question is what stops CBN from either writing in official language and, if need be, in indigenous languages?

If other people begin to demand for Latin and Hebrew on the Naira note, or in d NIgeria Army insignia, wouldn't it be chaotic? How will it be if victory come from Jehovah, or from Ogun etc are added to the the NA insignia?

The reality is having victory comes from Allah or Arabic inscription in the Naira has religious undertone. NIgeria state cannot be known with religion.

A little digression, it gross infringement on people's right and the constitution to sponsor some religion to the so called holy city. And that evil organization of Islamic Countries. It's either you add all the hundreds of religious inscriptions in the country or scrap d shit.
I just saw this, read it.

An Urhobo officer General David Akpode Ejoor introduced the Islamic (Arabic) inscription and the Star emblem into the Nigeria Army crest. Meanwhile, Reno and co have been lying and spinning everything upside down since.
I think this is worth reading...
There was this controversy on the "Islamic" writings and "Star of David" on our military badge... Here, General David Akpode Ejoor explains in detail how he incorporated these symbols. I hope this puts to rest the unnecessary misunderstanding and dust it gathered when some folks raised the issue.
Page 16 of his autobiography has details...
" In the colonial days, the cap badge of the army was a palm tree. This could be interpreted to represent the wealth of the country which the British were to exploit. For that reason, the palm tree had to go. Besides, the Action Group party had a palm tree as its symbol, and it was important that the army and a political party should not have the same symbol. My job was to seek a new meaningful design for the cap badge of the Nigerian Army. I set to work."
"In seeking a new design, I was anxious that the symbol should reflect the duty of the army and should be capable of inspiring officers and men. As I searched, I remembered the battle between the British and the Sokoto forces in 1903. At that battle, the Sokoto forces had carried the Sultan's flag with an Arabic inscription on it. That Arabic inscription I learnt meant, "VICTORY IS FROM GOD ALONE". This, I thought was an excellent symbol that had meaning and could inspire. What is more, the British had themselves incorporated the symbol into the regimental colour which the Nigerian Regiment carried on parade. I decided to incorporate the Arabic INSCRIPTION INTO THE CAP BADGE TO REPRESENT DEFENCE..."
Next, I searched for a symbol that would depict unity. I found and answer in Lugard's interlaced triangles which he designed at the amalgamation to represent the coming together of NORTHERN and SOUTHERN NIGERIA. In choosing this symbol for the Nigerian Army cap badge, I hoped it would remind the Nigerian Soldier that his duty was to defend the unity and integrity of his country. I now had two symbols representing DEFENCE AND UNITY."
Now, for something that could inspire the army in it's task of defending the nation, I landed on the idea of the Eagle. Again this was not original. The nation had chosen the eagle as national emblem. The eagle is a powerful bird, indeed, the king of birds. It thus represented strength. The eagle had a reputation, when once had located it's prey, of swooping and striking swiftly, accurately and decidedly- qualities which the Nigerian army should strive to achieve.
Having decided on these symbols, my next task was to get an artist to put them together into a unified design for the cap badge of the Nigerian Army. This was eventually done. Then I was required to defend my design before the ministerial committee.
The committee was made up of three Ministers.
1: Muhammadu Ribadu (Defence)
2: Festus Okotie-Eboh (Finance)
3: Yar'adua (Works and Housing).
It was awe-inspiring to have to appear before these great names of the First Republic. I had to defend the design. I remember that was when I got to the interlaced triangle, Ribadu and Yar'adua exchanged glances and showed some concern. Now I know why. The interlaced triangles also represented the star of David- the symbol of Israel. This alarmed the two Muslim ministers. Fortunately for me, there was the Arabic inscription. This, although at the time I was not thinking in terms of Islam and Christianity, my design happened to incorporate symbols that could be associated with those two religions. Just as well, perhaps. At the end of my defence, the design was approved. I thus left a permanent mark on part of the uniform of the Nigerian Army. This is a rare privilege for any serving officer. I thank God for affording me that opportunity...
Source: REMINISCENCES by David Akpode Ejoor
Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by ehinmowo: 7:39pm On Nov 15, 2020
ThatFairGuy:

I just saw this, read it.

An Urhobo officer General David Akpode Ejoor introduced the Islamic (Arabic) inscription and the Star emblem into the Nigeria Army crest. Meanwhile, Reno and co have been lying and spinning everything upside down since.
I think this is worth reading...
There was this controversy on the "Islamic" writings and "Star of David" on our military badge... Here, General David Akpode Ejoor explains in detail how he incorporated these symbols. I hope this puts to rest the unnecessary misunderstanding and dust it gathered when some folks raised the issue.
Page 16 of his autobiography has details...
" In the colonial days, the cap badge of the army was a palm tree. This could be interpreted to represent the wealth of the country which the British were to exploit. For that reason, the palm tree had to go. Besides, the Action Group party had a palm tree as its symbol, and it was important that the army and a political party should not have the same symbol. My job was to seek a new meaningful design for the cap badge of the Nigerian Army. I set to work."
"In seeking a new design, I was anxious that the symbol should reflect the duty of the army and should be capable of inspiring officers and men. As I searched, I remembered the battle between the British and the Sokoto forces in 1903. At that battle, the Sokoto forces had carried the Sultan's flag with an Arabic inscription on it. That Arabic inscription I learnt meant, "VICTORY IS FROM GOD ALONE". This, I thought was an excellent symbol that had meaning and could inspire. What is more, the British had themselves incorporated the symbol into the regimental colour which the Nigerian Regiment carried on parade. I decided to incorporate the Arabic INSCRIPTION INTO THE CAP BADGE TO REPRESENT DEFENCE..."
Next, I searched for a symbol that would depict unity. I found and answer in Lugard's interlaced triangles which he designed at the amalgamation to represent the coming together of NORTHERN and SOUTHERN NIGERIA. In choosing this symbol for the Nigerian Army cap badge, I hoped it would remind the Nigerian Soldier that his duty was to defend the unity and integrity of his country. I now had two symbols representing DEFENCE AND UNITY."
Now, for something that could inspire the army in it's task of defending the nation, I landed on the idea of the Eagle. Again this was not original. The nation had chosen the eagle as national emblem. The eagle is a powerful bird, indeed, the king of birds. It thus represented strength. The eagle had a reputation, when once had located it's prey, of swooping and striking swiftly, accurately and decidedly- qualities which the Nigerian army should strive to achieve.
Having decided on these symbols, my next task was to get an artist to put them together into a unified design for the cap badge of the Nigerian Army. This was eventually done. Then I was required to defend my design before the ministerial committee.
The committee was made up of three Ministers.
1: Muhammadu Ribadu (Defence)
2: Festus Okotie-Eboh (Finance)
3: Yar'adua (Works and Housing).
It was awe-inspiring to have to appear before these great names of the First Republic. I had to defend the design. I remember that was when I got to the interlaced triangle, Ribadu and Yar'adua exchanged glances and showed some concern. Now I know why. The interlaced triangles also represented the star of David- the symbol of Israel. This alarmed the two Muslim ministers. Fortunately for me, there was the Arabic inscription. This, although at the time I was not thinking in terms of Islam and Christianity, my design happened to incorporate symbols that could be associated with those two religions. Just as well, perhaps. At the end of my defence, the design was approved. I thus left a permanent mark on part of the uniform of the Nigerian Army. This is a rare privilege for any serving officer. I thank God for affording me that opportunity...
Source: REMINISCENCES by David Akpode Ejoor

Nothing new here. They used the poor man as a front incorporate Islamic blv into our national lives. If you are sincere with yourself, do you think they would have approved it if there was Oduduwa skull or cross?
Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by FriendNG: 7:40pm On Nov 15, 2020
Skelewudprince:
And why don't they write their names in Arabic?
They use the normal alphabet to write their names and to write everything in Hausa.

Which one is abnormal alphabet? Hausa has been written using Arabic script for over 900 years. Hausa started using English Alphabet just as recent (not more than 50 years.)
Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by GoshenNLA(m): 7:40pm On Nov 15, 2020
FriendNG:

Today you know it's Hausa
Because Hausa is our national language
Despite we having a lingua franca
Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by DropsMic(m): 7:51pm On Nov 15, 2020
LLMG:
You and yours are systematically being rendered irrelevant and you don't see anything wrong with it. Islamization agenda didn't start today. Very soon Christian community and southern Nigeria will regret their foolishness in being docile when the north and muslim community are busy strategizing against them.

I'm not a Christian. Neither am i a Muslim.
Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by mikeweezy(m): 7:55pm On Nov 15, 2020
GOTVee:
sadEven though I've been a born again Christian of over 25 years, I think we Christians really need to let the sleeping Dog lie. I have been to several Arab nations on tourism and Evangelism and I can attest to the fact that Arabic remains one of the unique and outstanding languages on earth. What is the big deal in having Arabic inscriptions on Naira notes and Army uniform? Nigeria is a country of Muslim majority and due to their numerical advantage I think the Muslims deserve to have the Arabic as a national symbol. I mostly prefer to read my bible in Arabic language for better understanding despite being a Christian. The Muslims in this country have never complained of the fact that the national language is English. The Christian missionaries brough English language to Nigeria and our dear Muslim brothers easily accepted it without fuss. Why are we Christians trouble some unnecessarily? We Christians really to be careful not to cause a national disaster sad
come out from your shelf Mr bozo

1 Like

Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by EngrEgghead: 7:59pm On Nov 15, 2020
GOTVee:
Point of correction, it's not christian missionaries that brought English to Nigeria. Those that colonized us did.

1 Like

Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by IMAliyu(m): 8:04pm On Nov 15, 2020

Does it mean that Hausa doesn't have any alphabet?
It's called Ajami, it's a modified Arabic script.
And that's what's on the Naira note.
Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by LLMG: 8:22pm On Nov 15, 2020
It doesn't matter. It's what is confronting Nigeria now and what the future holds that's the issue.
DropsMic:

I'm not a Christian. Neither am i a Muslim.
Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by IMAliyu(m): 8:26pm On Nov 15, 2020
Temidayo9:

Every nation is being rule by its constitution, and it says English, Hausa ,Igbo and Yoruba is our official Language. So what brings Arabic?
What is the Hausa language's writing script?
Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by IMAliyu(m): 8:46pm On Nov 15, 2020
sammysmiles:
I understand your point,,,, but we are not against their red crescent,,, but the Arabic writeups.... How many Muslims can even read or speak Arabic fluently? Arabic is not our lingua franca,,, so they suppose to inscribe what everyone can understand... And besides,,, those terms and terminologies are jxt general English words and is of no point being ascribed with Christianity...
I disagree, Must Muslims know how to read the Arabic script. But don't understand the Arabic language.
And the writing on the Naira note is Hausa, read as "Naira Dubudaya" which isn't Arabic.
It's Just written using the Ajami the Hausa modified Arabic script, which was in use long before colonisation.
Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by Temidayo9(m): 9:16pm On Nov 15, 2020
FriendNG:

The argument is dead on arrival. Because it's written in Hausa not Arabic.
The argument wasn't dead on arrival, but the only excuse the CBN have was that, to reprint all our Naira note is capital intensive. Hence the status quo remains.
Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by Murrynmama: 9:52pm On Nov 15, 2020
PointZerom:
What of the cow on two hundred naira note?

Abeg let's write a petition on that one too
Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by Murrynmama: 9:55pm On Nov 15, 2020
abumeinben:
angry

The inscription should be removed and replaced with English texts abeg. After all, the number system we use is Hindu-Arabic. (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0). Why the Arabic/ajamic inscription again?

The Army own na hin dey vess me pass.

Yoghourt ni tongue

Go and remove it na, mumu
Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by Murrynmama: 9:57pm On Nov 15, 2020
DennisEche:
To them they feel the Arabic Ajami on our notes takes them closer to Allah, bunch of brain washed mofos.. what has Arabic got to do with Nigeria, for the fooll above saying that the writing is Hausa but in Arabic. Why not write it in Hausa like Dubu Daya. That one na small thin Sha , if only the Arabic signs can make the naira equates dollar.

Does the English equates it to the Dollar? What are you guys thinking of, we have bunch of problems to fucos to as a country
Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by Johnnyplus01k(m): 10:10pm On Nov 15, 2020
This is not an issue now cos wot we are facing now is more than that the increase in fuel, electric tariff and so on. I beg��
Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by firstratedcitiz(m): 10:21pm On Nov 15, 2020
I don't just like alphabets that look much like crawling millipedes!
Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by RamessesIV(m): 10:50pm On Nov 15, 2020
The idiot who said English and christianizing is a fool English is not a religious language and is not used to pander to one religious ethnic group

Arabic is a religious language and used in the northern region of nigeria and shouldn't be put in the naira note and saying that because hausa were using it so what!!! Is Nigeria a Hausa or islamic country?? What does hausa and fulani contribute to nigeria that their special religious language gets special privilege on the naira note

Mentality like this is why muslims believe they have the right to go around killing

With this logic Christians in turkey can ask for their language be included in turkish bank note right?
DamnnNiggarr:

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-africa-54935804?__twitter_impression=true
Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by Friend22(m): 10:59pm On Nov 15, 2020
DeejaywonDJ1:

It was invented by India mathematicians not Arab

Another lie!...
Indians use Sanskrit to write and Sanskrit don't look anything close to what the Arabic numerals look like ...
You can say they invented counting methods or modejs but saying Arabic script where invented by Indian mathematicians is a lie from the pit of hell.
Re: Arabic Script On Naira Notes: Culture Clash Over Nigeria's Rival Alphabets by Friend22(m): 11:02pm On Nov 15, 2020
Rugaria:
Cultural chauvinism! Some people feel that because they have been in power for long, they can force down their beliefs on others. It will backfire someday..
Who uys forcing you and who has forced you?!
Keep hallucinating

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

2 Women Escape From Boko Haram Captivity In Sambisa Forest (photos) / INEC Declares APC's Usman Ododo Winner Of 2023 Kogi Guber Election / Photos: President Jonathan Celebrates Christmas In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.