Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,238 members, 7,822,227 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 08:42 AM

Hurray, ASUU Wants Prompt Pay For Endless Strikes! - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Hurray, ASUU Wants Prompt Pay For Endless Strikes! (32544 Views)

Maybe ASUU Wants To Get A Ban / ASUU Wants FG To Negotiate With Union To End Strike / LAUTECH Tuition Fees, ASUU Wants Immediate Review (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hurray, ASUU Wants Prompt Pay For Endless Strikes! by vicknoel(f): 8:21am On Nov 17, 2020
Dididrumz:
Wait oooo, who wrote this thing?

One of the non-patriotic media aides In Aso Rock

1 Like

Re: Hurray, ASUU Wants Prompt Pay For Endless Strikes! by enirock(m): 8:22am On Nov 17, 2020
obami007:
Aside the pay ASUU is pushing for, they also want the public schools to be better than what it currently is
If truly you believe the above, then you would believe when a politician tells you that a borehole would be dug in the middle of river Niger. Assu is just using the betterment as a ploy to get the wages government had failed to pay. Its always been self interest. Follow the discussions and see.

1 Like

Re: Hurray, ASUU Wants Prompt Pay For Endless Strikes! by lkillbrokehoes: 8:22am On Nov 17, 2020
TopeQs:

The truth is that ASUU just don't want for themselves only, of course their interest is paramount, they still want the government to invest more in tertiary education. It's not easy dealing with the federal government, how many times have we seen these politicians sleeping during house meetings and they get enormous pays while professors work their butt off for a small amount. Government owned tertiary institutions in Nigeria are also an eyesore, they are a mess, the hostels are not fit to live in, the classrooms are not accommodating the number that are being admitted, the laboratories and libraries are not well equipped and so on.

A developed country is made from 3 important sector.
-Education
-Health
-Power.

Once those 3 can be gotten in place the country will pick up faster than bolt.

Many of us are just caught up between their endless disagreement. I believe if the government understand another route, ASUU may not have to always resort to strike, we have intelligent lecturers in many tertiary institution, I'm sure they would have worked something out.

Federal government will rather spend many billions of dollars on project we would not see in many years than pay #200bn to ASUU and let them be done with strike for many years..

Even if this strike ends, I'm sure they'll be another one in about a year, ASUU is being pressured currently by many citizens(me especially, I had just a few months to graduate before the strike, yet here I am, an undergrad in November, very hurtful), we're all neglecting the federal government who could end this any moment but claim not to have money. They only need to include their ASUU agreement money into the next budget, that way no one will be sat with to pay, just a direct deposit instead of always sitting with minister for labour.

The sad part is, the government won't do it, they'll keep meeting with ASUU every year till the next administration takes over and hand over the debt to them and the cycle may keep going.

This country is a sham.
Word!

1 Like

Re: Hurray, ASUU Wants Prompt Pay For Endless Strikes! by ADAMUdaCOWBOY: 8:23am On Nov 17, 2020
PhiliptheArab:

Actually ASUU does want better schools.

You should google for the 2009 ASUU fg agreement . It goes way beyond salaries. There were provisions for spending on facilities and equipment too.

But the problem is, all these mean annual costs in the trillions of naira. And since both sides dont want to face thw reality of increasing fees..

The immediate past vice-chancellor of abu zaria in a speech he gave in 2018 commented that his overhead costs alone were 600 million naira annually, and he gets 120million from the government to pay these costs. He also stated that if Nigeria really wanted Cambridge level degrees, Nigeria needed to pay Cambridge level fees.
My dear, I have worked on projects that were carried out in universities and sa how VCs and Directors of Physical planning have contractors carrying out the jobs. Now you being a Nigerian, I need not tell you what will happen. Very shoddy jobs were done and the jobs were fully paid for, auditors were settled and everyone kept quiet. The jobs were already failing before we left the schools.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hurray, ASUU Wants Prompt Pay For Endless Strikes! by lkillbrokehoes: 8:24am On Nov 17, 2020
Fuckyoumod:
this is lost I'm the world.
Small boy, grow up! ASUU cares about nothing but themselves!
U are barely still a kid
Re: Hurray, ASUU Wants Prompt Pay For Endless Strikes! by Incognito403: 8:25am On Nov 17, 2020
obami007:
Aside the pay ASUU is pushing for, they also want the public schools to be better than what it currently is

And you believe this? Let government pay them and watch them resume work with all jollification.

1 Like

Re: Hurray, ASUU Wants Prompt Pay For Endless Strikes! by lkillbrokehoes: 8:25am On Nov 17, 2020
CzarChris:
This is an outrage, a government sponsored propaganda machine and brash blackmail, but no matter. So ASUU is now the villain for fighting for proper and dignified educational environment don't forget ASUU is asking for 110billion naira for revitalization of the universities, this money is not for ASUU members, it's still this FG that will issue contracts to build proper infrastructure in the public universities or are we comfortable seeing pictures and videos of students sitting on the floor in over crowded lecture rooms? Don't get me started on the lack of basic laboratory equipment and reagents for the students to instruct students with. Nigerian lecturers are among the lowest paid in Africa, so to be paid what is at par with there colleagues in other places in Africa is now a crime? Look, I won't speak on this again on this platform, but if the Nigerian citizenry don't stand behind ASUU to win this battle, then our public education in Nigeria is totally finished. The present academics won't loose out, considering that Nigerian academics are highly sort after outside the shores of this country(what with the introduction of professional visa by the UAE). At the end of the day, the children of the poor will suffer it.
And what's very amazing is the speed at which this article will spread all over the country today, because it's government sponsored. Our nairaland Mods, I greet o!!!
God bless you for saying the truth

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hurray, ASUU Wants Prompt Pay For Endless Strikes! by Incognito403: 8:27am On Nov 17, 2020
TopeQs:

The truth is that ASUU just don't want for themselves only, of course their interest is paramount, they still want the government to invest more in tertiary education. It's not easy dealing with the federal government, how many times have we seen these politicians sleeping during house meetings and they get enormous pays while professors work their butt off for a small amount. Government owned tertiary institutions in Nigeria are also an eyesore, they are a mess, the hostels are not fit to live in, the classrooms are not accommodating the number that are being admitted, the laboratories and libraries are not well equipped and so on.

A developed country is made from 3 important sector.
-Education
-Health
-Power.

Once those 3 can be gotten in place the country will pick up faster than bolt.

Many of us are just caught up between their endless disagreement. I believe if the government understand another route, ASUU may not have to always resort to strike, we have intelligent lecturers in many tertiary institution, I'm sure they would have worked something out.

Federal government will rather spend many billions of dollars on project we would not see in many years than pay #200bn to ASUU and let them be done with strike for many years..

Even if this strike ends, I'm sure they'll be another one in about a year, ASUU is being pressured currently by many citizens(me especially, I had just a few months to graduate before the strike, yet here I am, an undergrad in November, very hurtful), we're all neglecting the federal government who could end this any moment but claim not to have money. They only need to include their ASUU agreement money into the next budget, that way no one will be sat with to pay, just a direct deposit instead of always sitting with minister for labour.

The sad part is, the government won't do it, they'll keep meeting with ASUU every year till the next administration takes over and hand over the debt to them and the cycle may keep going.

This country is a sham.

ASUU gives no Eff about the academia. They're bloody embezzlers. Every year, hundreds of millions are pumped into our institutions by private and public institutions with virtually nothing to show for them.

Examples are in abundance.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hurray, ASUU Wants Prompt Pay For Endless Strikes! by Nobody: 8:28am On Nov 17, 2020
Stupid write up from a hungry paid agent.
Re: Hurray, ASUU Wants Prompt Pay For Endless Strikes! by Nobody: 8:28am On Nov 17, 2020
ADAMUdaCOWBOY:

My dear, I have worked on projects that were carried out in universities and said how VCs Directors of Physical planning have contractors carrying out the jobs. Now you being a Nigerian, I need not tell you what will happen. Very shoddy jobs were done and the jobs were fully paid for, auditors were settled and everyone kept quiet. The jobs were already failing before we left the schools.

Yeah they do that because they know that work or no work, the money will come in

That's why i back university autonomy plus increased fees. It would put pressure on government universities to use their money well since no free money coming in.

And also corruption or no, it is a fact our universities are poorly funded. The stealing makes things worse. At the end of the day however something must be done, because it is after all the poor children who suffer the effects of bad universities. Rich kids can go private or abroad...

And guess what happens when both sets of graduates compete in the job market.

1 Like

Re: Hurray, ASUU Wants Prompt Pay For Endless Strikes! by ogascomax: 8:29am On Nov 17, 2020
I am happy for ASUU boldness if only Nigerian Labour Congress can behave like ASUU Nigeria will become a far better nation.
Re: Hurray, ASUU Wants Prompt Pay For Endless Strikes! by Vicdgreat556(m): 8:31am On Nov 17, 2020
We need a strong enthusiastic body like ASUU to replace useless and spineless remote control called labor.. just imagine fuel is 170..it's annoying.. I'm tired of listening to radio,or reading news...
Re: Hurray, ASUU Wants Prompt Pay For Endless Strikes! by Decimus: 8:33am On Nov 17, 2020
shadeyinka:

But what would have happened if government took actions well before ASUU called on the strike?

Would they still have gone on strike?
I'm not on anyone's side, but I'm totally against not working for 9 months out of 12 months in a year. It's becoming embarrassing, ASUU should find something else, or perhaps Nigeria as a whole should find a lasting solution by electing only sensitive and visionary leaders.

1 Like

Re: Hurray, ASUU Wants Prompt Pay For Endless Strikes! by alezzy13: 8:35am On Nov 17, 2020
shocked shocked

Meen. See brutal finishing. Who wrote this?
Re: Hurray, ASUU Wants Prompt Pay For Endless Strikes! by Aguilar(m): 8:36am On Nov 17, 2020
ehn ope o
Re: Hurray, ASUU Wants Prompt Pay For Endless Strikes! by donbrowser(m): 8:37am On Nov 17, 2020
Brandonx:
The sad truth! Why can't ASUU look for an alternative way of making demands undecided the striking strategy is stale and obsolete as it has not done much good to the students who are always at the receiving ends.
That's the only language Federal Government understands
Re: Hurray, ASUU Wants Prompt Pay For Endless Strikes! by Noble1000(m): 8:39am On Nov 17, 2020
money money money.
let school resume abeg..

for your logo and Flyer for just 2k. call and Dm me

Re: Hurray, ASUU Wants Prompt Pay For Endless Strikes! by donbrowser(m): 8:40am On Nov 17, 2020
Decimus:

I'm not on anyone's side, but I'm totally against not working for 9 months out of 12 months in a year. It's becoming embarrassing, ASUU should find something else, or perhaps Nigeria as a whole should find a lasting solution by electing only sensitive and visionary leaders.

Do Senators get paid for sleeping in the house?

Do senators get paid for not even pushing any bills?

Do senators get paid for not attending senate meetings?

Their children are overseas enjoying every good things of life including quality education. Should i show you how our federal school hostels look like?
Should I also open your eyes to how some states school still borrow lecturers at this present age of our country?

We cannot continue like this bro.

1 Like

Re: Hurray, ASUU Wants Prompt Pay For Endless Strikes! by Sunnycliff(m): 8:42am On Nov 17, 2020
Brandonx:
The sad truth! Why can't ASUU look for an alternative way of making demands undecided the striking strategy is stale and obsolete as it has not done much good to the students who are always at the receiving ends.
Which other way do you think the government can listen? Like we have a sensitive, listening government? Until all the wards of Politicians start attending public schools, there's no end in sight to all these callous government shenanigans.
Re: Hurray, ASUU Wants Prompt Pay For Endless Strikes! by prophetfire: 8:48am On Nov 17, 2020
Skynet45:

https://thenationonlineng.net/hurray-ASUU-wants-prompt-pay-for-endless-strikes/
. YOU JUST WROTE RUBBISH. IN SANE SOCIETIES IS IT ASUU THAT SHOULD AGITATE FOR UNIVERSITIES TO BE RUN PROPERLY AND FUNDED PROPERLY. ASUU HAS REFUSED TO BE MUMU LIKE OTHERS. THAT'S THE DIFFERENCE. YOU PEOPLE ARE GETTING USED TO THE MENTALITY OF THE COWS IN CHARGE OF GOVERNMENT AND THAT IS WHY YOU ARE ACCEPTING ABNORMALITIES AS NORMAL, THEREFORE YOU CRITISIZE ASUU AND SIDE WITH THE GOVERNMENT.
Re: Hurray, ASUU Wants Prompt Pay For Endless Strikes! by Chidubem67: 8:50am On Nov 17, 2020
Hmmmmm,inspite of all this,I reserve my comments until d d-day. ASUU/FG I greet una o
Re: Hurray, ASUU Wants Prompt Pay For Endless Strikes! by purples25(f): 8:51am On Nov 17, 2020
When i saw the topics title, I was like 'What's to say Hurray about here?' Then i read the article and understood the sarcasm.
Re: Hurray, ASUU Wants Prompt Pay For Endless Strikes! by Dannyfan(m): 8:52am On Nov 17, 2020
vikkimimi:
I just don't want to believe ASUU only have it's selfish interest at heart....And the government is being selfish even with tax payers money....I tire for this country
You can be working n decided not to collect salary and yah entitlement. Infact you can stay satisfied with unpleasant environment. It's a choice. So ASUU has choose the good way
Re: Hurray, ASUU Wants Prompt Pay For Endless Strikes! by Emmanuelcann: 8:56am On Nov 17, 2020
And the National Assembly, what are they paid trillions for? Shouldn't they have been the ones to handle the complaints against SARS if they actually function?

1 Like

Re: Hurray, ASUU Wants Prompt Pay For Endless Strikes! by jaxxy(m): 8:57am On Nov 17, 2020
This government is too stingy! What exactly is ASUU fighting for? Are they valid or not shud be the discussion or is tax payers money ur personal money?

Just look at the childish write up undecided
Re: Hurray, ASUU Wants Prompt Pay For Endless Strikes! by MoIbrahim: 9:01am On Nov 17, 2020
obami007:

Is staff salary not even part of what will affect the university? It's just that people are being hypocritical; ASUU should keep working with no appropriate remuneration while some fat-bellies eat up all our common wealth in Abuja.
Okay na!
Re: Hurray, ASUU Wants Prompt Pay For Endless Strikes! by faoogoke(m): 9:03am On Nov 17, 2020
And yet there is a law passed by the national assembly forbidden payment of salary for work not done during strike action

Government by itself flouts the law.

Government rather encourages strike when workers know that they will be paid at the end of the day.

Shit hole!
Re: Hurray, ASUU Wants Prompt Pay For Endless Strikes! by shadeyinka(m): 9:07am On Nov 17, 2020
Decimus:

If you are within the system, you would have understood.

All FG owned research organisations are suffering of what ASUU is demanding now. Since the inception of IPPIS non had been able to absorb Post Docs, Visiting Researchers, Adjunt Researchers and Sabbatical staff. All the protests and objections have fallen on the deaf ears of the FG.

Sadly, the only language the FG understand is FORCE! Only two organisations in Nigeria has been able to get the FG to reason and these are NMA and ASUU. NMA has patients in the hospital as leverage while ASUU has students as leverage. It is unfortunate, but STRIKE is the only language the FG understand.

ASUU had been discussing this same issue of IPPIS for more than 4 years now to no avail. As a last resort, ASUU went on strike. How then is it still their fault?
Re: Hurray, ASUU Wants Prompt Pay For Endless Strikes! by shadeyinka(m): 9:10am On Nov 17, 2020
faoogoke:

And yet there is a law passed by the national assembly forbidden payment of salary for work not done during strike action

Government by itself flouts the law.

Government rather encourages strike when workers know that they will be paid at the end of the day.

Shit hole!
Will you prefer a situation where all organisations break before the FG irrespective of the legitimacy of their request?

1 Like

Re: Hurray, ASUU Wants Prompt Pay For Endless Strikes! by RoyalUc(m): 9:11am On Nov 17, 2020
ADAMUdaCOWBOY:

My dear, I have worked on projects that were carried out in universities and said how VCs Directors of Physical planning have contractors carrying out the jobs. Now you being a Nigerian, I need not tell you what will happen. Very shoddy jobs were done and the jobs were fully paid for, auditors were settled and everyone kept quiet. The jobs were already failing before we left the schools.

grin

The problem with some of is being irrational and ignorant.

Thanks for this response.

I don't even want to share mine
Re: Hurray, ASUU Wants Prompt Pay For Endless Strikes! by shadeyinka(m): 9:12am On Nov 17, 2020
Brandonx:
Can you suggest just one way that the FG can listen to ASUU other than by strikes?

What make you think that the FG will listen to your approach?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Delsu Post Ume Cut Off Mark / Different Types Of Nigerian Universities Lecturers (meme Photos) / Diamond Bank ICT Center Donated To Covenant University (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.