Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,621 members, 7,813,048 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:42 AM

Hurray, ASUU Wants Prompt Pay For Endless Strikes! - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Hurray, ASUU Wants Prompt Pay For Endless Strikes! (32513 Views)

Maybe ASUU Wants To Get A Ban / ASUU Wants FG To Negotiate With Union To End Strike / LAUTECH Tuition Fees, ASUU Wants Immediate Review (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hurray, ASUU Wants Prompt Pay For Endless Strikes! by Nobody: 5:16am On Nov 17, 2020
THE Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU), Nigeria’s celebrated and unfazed intellectual parasites, just declared their democratic right to pay for work not done — applause, applause!

And to push their cause in the deepest and most consuming of democratic sympathies, ASUU has declared its members, never-appreciated arch-patrons fighting for the eventual salvation of the Nigerian Academy, celebrated beggars, beggared by the very cause they love and fight for — tears, tears, drip, drip!

And why must ASUU not push for pay for endless strikes that undo the young charges in its care, instead of ceaseless teaching, that endow them? Why not?

If DisCos bill for darkness and get away with it, why shouldn’t ASUU growl for salaries, for endless strikes? Is that not a sacred right, which the harassed government have a sacred duty to fulfil?

And after King Kong ASUU has done it and got away with it too many times, who will stop it now? If past all-mighty military governments could not do it, is it this miserable civilian order, that has to dodge a fusillade of bullets from the cannon of citizens’ rights, that would prevail?

Pay ASUU its sacred due, jare — as the Yoruba would say!

That ASUU would grandstand and make such a claim, laced with the most cynical of sympathy pleas, just shows ASUU has reached its most unconscionable juncture yet: and may well be beyond redemption — expect a drastic re-set of its misguided brain!

The cheek of it: doing nothing and earning uninterrupted full pay, all through the drastc COVID-19 months, only to remind all it was still on strike! Does ASUU even know that many non-government workers, that worked through those lean months, did full time work but earned half-pay, or even less?

That is the ruin illicit sense of entitlement does to your mind! So, after getting full pay for no work, and projecting extreme insensitivity in abnormal times, ASUU would have the guts to declare the continuation of a strike — Aluta continua! — and turn cry baby because it’s not paid for its chosen fancy!

Besides, as committed and bristling revolutionaries, can’t ASUU members merrily embrace the cost of the cause they so love and would pull everything down to sustain? Or what’s the “struggle”, if your sworn enemy — sorry, opponent, the government — must pick the tabs!

ASUU knows it can get away with this barefaced hypocrisy simply because something is terribly wrong with this polity. People who are dumb enough to pushing forward with defective tactics should not wail when they earn their due strategic ruin. That is the path ASUU has chosen to tread. Defeat and ruin wait at the other end, as sure as the day follows the night.

Meanwhile, the silent but reasonable ASUU majority had better call, to order, their rash, reckless but loud minority. Those are led by the gung-ho ASUU executive — gung-ho on avoidable ruin.

When the crash comes, ASUU will reap more than celebrated penury of its members, because they had lost pay they had no right to, no thanks to their rippling bad grace.

They would have earned the historical odium of a band of reckless intellectuals(?) that crashed the Nigerian Academy on own heads. But maybe it’s already too late to cry. The ASUU head appears already off — too bad!
https://thenationonlineng.net/hurray-ASUU-wants-prompt-pay-for-endless-strikes/

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Hurray, ASUU Wants Prompt Pay For Endless Strikes! by Nobody: 6:19am On Nov 17, 2020
I just don't want to believe ASUU only have it's selfish interest at heart....And the government is being selfish even with tax payers money....I tire for this country

52 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Hurray, ASUU Wants Prompt Pay For Endless Strikes! by Rilwayne001: 6:25am On Nov 17, 2020
If only government will not pay them for all the months they didn't work, I'm sure they would have resumed tey tey!!

This whole thing is frustrating and really painful. Our time and career path is being derailed for the selfish interest of those old fools, both in FG and ASUU. Unfortunately no one to help the poor common man kids. embarassed

46 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Hurray, ASUU Wants Prompt Pay For Endless Strikes! by Ever8090: 6:49am On Nov 17, 2020
Hmmmmm.. nothing trump no go see for recounting vote...

5 Likes

Re: Hurray, ASUU Wants Prompt Pay For Endless Strikes! by TopeQs: 6:54am On Nov 17, 2020
vikkimimi:
I just don't want to believe ASUU only have it's selfish interest at heart....And the government is being selfish even with tax payers money....I tire for this country

The truth is that ASUU just don't want for themselves only, of course their interest is paramount, they still want the government to invest more in tertiary education. It's not easy dealing with the federal government, how many times have we seen these politicians sleeping during house meetings and they get enormous pays while professors work their butt off for a small amount. Government owned tertiary institutions in Nigeria are also an eyesore, they are a mess, the hostels are not fit to live in, the classrooms are not accommodating the number that are being admitted, the laboratories and libraries are not well equipped and so on.

A developed country is made from 3 important sector.
-Education
-Health
-Power.

Once those 3 can be gotten in place the country will pick up faster than bolt.

Many of us are just caught up between their endless disagreement. I believe if the government understand another route, ASUU may not have to always resort to strike, we have intelligent lecturers in many tertiary institution, I'm sure they would have worked something out.

Federal government will rather spend many billions of dollars on project we would not see in many years than pay #200bn to ASUU and let them be done with strike for many years..

Even if this strike ends, I'm sure they'll be another one in about a year, ASUU is being pressured currently by many citizens(me especially, I had just a few months to graduate before the strike, yet here I am, an undergrad in November, very hurtful), we're all neglecting the federal government who could end this any moment but claim not to have money. They only need to include their ASUU agreement money into the next budget, that way no one will be sat with to pay, just a direct deposit instead of always sitting with minister for labour.

The sad part is, the government won't do it, they'll keep meeting with ASUU every year till the next administration takes over and hand over the debt to them and the cycle may keep going.

This country is a sham.

Incognito403:

ASUU gives no Eff about the academia. They're bloody embezzlers. Every year, hundreds of millions are pumped into our institutions by private and public institutions with virtually nothing to show for them.

Examples are in abundance.
You may be right. As for they hundreds of millions pumped into institutions, how sure are you that that money isn't just their salaries, the budget for education get smaller each year.

I'm not backing ASUU totally, I'm supposed to be ready for service right now, I'm as frustrated as you are probably. I'm just saying, if government pay ASUU their money, would there be need for strike? And please, don't say IPPIS, I hate ASUU for that reason. I believe if FG pays ASUU well and on time, they'll be no need to counter IPPIS by ASUU, but I don't know the full story on that.

The meeting between them is just like an abusive relationship, you would always think they're going to change you'll agree to stop fighting, yet another promise is broken. You get mad again, fight for months and reconcile, and the cycle continues.

My point is, they are both at fault, we just seem to target ASUU more, forgetting that it's the government's fault..

74 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Hurray, ASUU Wants Prompt Pay For Endless Strikes! by Decimus: 7:10am On Nov 17, 2020
No matter what, you don't have the right to abscond from your work for 9 months in the name of strike and still expect to get fully paid for those 9 months before going back to work.

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Hurray, ASUU Wants Prompt Pay For Endless Strikes! by Avatecc: 7:35am On Nov 17, 2020
cool
Re: Hurray, ASUU Wants Prompt Pay For Endless Strikes! by Nobody: 7:35am On Nov 17, 2020
Rubbish corntree

Who strikes for almost a year?

Joker of Africa

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hurray, ASUU Wants Prompt Pay For Endless Strikes! by jojofola: 7:35am On Nov 17, 2020
See the way Nairaland Mods are even putting up the thread topic. Smh!
Re: Hurray, ASUU Wants Prompt Pay For Endless Strikes! by DropsMic(m): 7:35am On Nov 17, 2020

Na government sponsored journalist write this one..

Shameless individuals

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hurray, ASUU Wants Prompt Pay For Endless Strikes! by newharddrives(m): 7:36am On Nov 17, 2020
Lol
Re: Hurray, ASUU Wants Prompt Pay For Endless Strikes! by Dididrumz(m): 7:36am On Nov 17, 2020
Wait oooo, who wrote this thing?

5 Likes

Re: Hurray, ASUU Wants Prompt Pay For Endless Strikes! by Nobody: 7:36am On Nov 17, 2020
I want to resume.

1 Like

Re: Hurray, ASUU Wants Prompt Pay For Endless Strikes! by TriCee: 7:36am On Nov 17, 2020
Your school is striking and you've not be learning any new skills? Shame suppose dey catch you now.
Both ASUU and government don't really care if you rot at home.

Anyways, Vivian has been very useful to me though... and to herself!

2 Likes

Re: Hurray, ASUU Wants Prompt Pay For Endless Strikes! by hayesconcept(m): 7:37am On Nov 17, 2020
Government should disband ASUU or else our Tertiary education will turn to something else

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hurray, ASUU Wants Prompt Pay For Endless Strikes! by Nobody: 7:37am On Nov 17, 2020
I have never seen a Union that feels more entitled than ASUU angry.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Hurray, ASUU Wants Prompt Pay For Endless Strikes! by Frales6(f): 7:37am On Nov 17, 2020
ok ooo
Re: Hurray, ASUU Wants Prompt Pay For Endless Strikes! by Afamed: 7:37am On Nov 17, 2020
Hmm
Re: Hurray, ASUU Wants Prompt Pay For Endless Strikes! by ecochampion: 7:37am On Nov 17, 2020
Haah
Re: Hurray, ASUU Wants Prompt Pay For Endless Strikes! by NaijaOlosho(f): 7:38am On Nov 17, 2020
grin
Re: Hurray, ASUU Wants Prompt Pay For Endless Strikes! by Brandonx(m): 7:38am On Nov 17, 2020
The sad truth! Why can't ASUU look for an alternative way of making demands undecided the striking strategy is stale and obsolete as it has not done much good to the students who are always at the receiving ends.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Hurray, ASUU Wants Prompt Pay For Endless Strikes! by Emmmy360(m): 7:38am On Nov 17, 2020
I just dey look them

Re: Hurray, ASUU Wants Prompt Pay For Endless Strikes! by Nobody: 7:38am On Nov 17, 2020
wats hurray here, will they get prompt pay ni, because dey asked?

MEANWHILE, ARE YOU AN ARTIST? CHECK MY SIGNATURE
Re: Hurray, ASUU Wants Prompt Pay For Endless Strikes! by Nobody: 7:38am On Nov 17, 2020
An op-ed like this one, at this time, only features in the Nation.

2 Likes

Re: Hurray, ASUU Wants Prompt Pay For Endless Strikes! by Akfrenzy(m): 7:38am On Nov 17, 2020
grin western education is a HARAM that's why one particular region is against it and hate ASUU but cherish BOKO HARAM

9 Likes

Re: Hurray, ASUU Wants Prompt Pay For Endless Strikes! by chipet67(m): 7:39am On Nov 17, 2020
ASSu
Re: Hurray, ASUU Wants Prompt Pay For Endless Strikes! by Ghostmode2two(m): 7:39am On Nov 17, 2020
Both ASUU and FG are selfish in their pursuit. This country is full of lies.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hurray, ASUU Wants Prompt Pay For Endless Strikes! by lilfresh96(m): 7:39am On Nov 17, 2020
ok

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Ogedegbe Destiny Osayi, UNIBEN Law Graduate Bags First Class In Law School / COZA: "If Girls Sexually Abused By Lecturers In IMSU Come Out...." - Leeroy / Dunamis Fake Testimony: NDU Law Faculty Exam Paper Mimics Case

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.