Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,987 members, 7,835,307 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:28 AM

Hurray, ASUU Wants Prompt Pay For Endless Strikes! - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Hurray, ASUU Wants Prompt Pay For Endless Strikes! (32560 Views)

Maybe ASUU Wants To Get A Ban / ASUU Wants FG To Negotiate With Union To End Strike / LAUTECH Tuition Fees, ASUU Wants Immediate Review (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hurray, ASUU Wants Prompt Pay For Endless Strikes! by Decimus: 9:40pm On Nov 17, 2020
shadeyinka:

Are you saying that ASUU should just go back to work, collect their salaries and don't bother if the system finally shut down or become a glorified secondary school?

This can easily be done. Lecturers mark time in the class, publish junk research papers, promote themselves to become professors and produce totally useless graduates who know virtually nothing more than that with which the y came into the university from their secondary school.

Do you have a minimum deliverables and expectations from the Lecturers?
What do you think is the cause of this strike in the first place?
Once a payment Platform is agreed and they get paid, the strike will be called off.

I can't count the number of times Biodun has cried out that they can't go back to work on an empty stomach.
Re: Hurray, ASUU Wants Prompt Pay For Endless Strikes! by Slymontee: 9:50pm On Nov 17, 2020
This write up is stale and unintelligent. Get information on the topic first, then write objectively and constructively.
Re: Hurray, ASUU Wants Prompt Pay For Endless Strikes! by shadeyinka(m): 10:11pm On Nov 17, 2020
Decimus:

What do you think is the cause of this strike in the first place?
Once a payment Platform is agreed and they get paid, the strike will be called off.

I can't count the number of times Biodun has cried out that they can't go back to work on an empty stomach.
Adoption of UTAS or Modified IPPIS suitable for the university system
Re: Hurray, ASUU Wants Prompt Pay For Endless Strikes! by jolyment: 7:00am On Nov 18, 2020
TopeQs:

ASUU knows that, they'll be paid even if they are on long strike, that's why they always resort to strike.

ASUU are using the students as a pawn, we all know what type of government we have, they don't care for no citizen. The students are the only one that suffers, if ASUU cares they won't go on this last strike. Their selfish interest is why we are. If government paid them all their arrears(salaries and allowances), they will resume immediately, I'm sure you know that. So how's that a fight for improvement of educational sector.

ASUU only start this last strike because of IPPIS, no matter what you'll say, we know it's IPPIS that made them embark on this current strike. They are now using the remaining unanswered agreement to blackmail the federal government.
The truth is, if FG didn't withhold the salaries of those who didn't register under IPPIS, they would not have embarked on this strike in the first place, they may strike later, but not at that time.

note: fighting for what may be their right is not a crime, but it's a crime to be affect other people who have no say and are totally helpless (the students). Both FG and ASUU are at fault for that.

I understand your point.

1 Like

Re: Hurray, ASUU Wants Prompt Pay For Endless Strikes! by shadeyinka(m): 8:23am On Nov 18, 2020
TopeQs:

ASUU knows that, they'll be paid even if they are on long strike, that's why they always resort to strike.

ASUU are using the students as a pawn, we all know what type of government we have, they don't care for no citizen. The students are the only one that suffers, if ASUU cares they won't go on this last strike. Their selfish interest is why we are. If government paid them all their arrears(salaries and allowances), they will resume immediately, I'm sure you know that. So how's that a fight for improvement of educational sector.

ASUU only start this last strike because of IPPIS, no matter what you'll say, we know it's IPPIS that made them embark on this current strike. They are now using the remaining unanswered agreement to blackmail the federal government.
The truth is, if FG didn't withhold the salaries of those who didn't register under IPPIS, they would not have embarked on this strike in the first place, they may strike later, but not at that time.

note: fighting for what may be their right is not a crime, but it's a crime to be affect other people who have no say and are totally helpless (the students). Both FG and ASUU are at fault for that.
I think you have wrongly understood this.

The only reason why ASUU embarked on this strike was because of IPPIS. Other points were pending issues.

ASUU isn't asking for bigger salaries. They are only asking for a payment structure that will not ground the universities like the FG owned research institutions.

The talk had been on for more than 4 years now with the FG not taking any action as usual.

ASUU was willing to go with IPPIS if the FG will only modify it to solve the impending problems peculiar to the universities. The FG says it is not possible. ASUU then offered an alternative payment system UTAS. The FG thought it was impossible so they gave a go ahead. Now UTAS is ready and the FG is still saying IPPIS or nothing.

What really do you expect ASUU to do for this isn't a case of increased salary BUT payment platform suitable for the university system. I work in a FG research organisation and I can tell you firsthand that IPPIS has done us very BAD. Yes, we collect our salaries but our institutional mandate has been highly compromised
Re: Hurray, ASUU Wants Prompt Pay For Endless Strikes! by TopeQs: 8:42am On Nov 18, 2020
shadeyinka:

I think you have wrongly understood this.

The only reason why ASUU embarked on this strike was because of IPPIS. Other points were pending issues.

ASUU isn't asking for bigger salaries. They are only asking for a payment structure that will not ground the universities like the FG owned research institutions.

The talk had been on for more than 4 years now with the FG not taking any action as usual.

ASUU was willing to go with IPPIS if the FG will only modify it to solve the impending problems peculiar to the universities. The FG says it is not possible. ASUU then offered an alternative payment system UTAS. The FG thought it was impossible so they gave a go ahead. Now UTAS is ready and the FG is still saying IPPIS or nothing.

What really do you expect ASUU to do for this isn't a case of increased salary BUT payment platform suitable for the university system. I work in a FG research organisation and I can tell you firsthand that IPPIS has done us very BAD. Yes, we collect our salaries but our institutional mandate has been highly compromised

I'm surprised you said I misunderstood, most of what you wrote is almost what I meant as well.

your last paragraph is what I don't really know about. Truth is, ASUU strikes and many students don't know the full story, I know IPPIS has irregularities that's why we are here but that same IPPIS was used to pay people and they got their full payment.

Anyway, I hope FG will do ASUU good and they'll both look at the plight of students and consider other ways, 8 months is a full session, and we believe it's till next year, that will be 10 months, look at that, doesn't that break their heart. The masses are really suffering in this country, we have a useless government.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

University Of Benin Students (undergraduate/graduate) Chatroom / COZA: "If Girls Sexually Abused By Lecturers In IMSU Come Out...." - Leeroy / Finally Jamb Have Release The Results

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.