Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,115 members, 7,811,134 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:57 AM

20 Life Paradoxes That Are True - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / 20 Life Paradoxes That Are True (2933 Views)

Names And Their Associated Character Traits: Which Ones Are True? / MEN!! These Are TRUE STORIES From 2 FORMER SIMPS! Read Very Carefully!! (Photos) / Sex Doll, So The Predictions Are True, I Cry For Women (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

20 Life Paradoxes That Are True by Dpsychologist: 11:51am On Nov 17, 2020

A paradox is a statement that may seem contradictory but can be true (or at least make sense). This makes them stand out and play an important role in literature and everyday life.

Some of the most important truths in life are contradictory on the surface. They seem like impossibilities, yet experience proves them to be obvious over and over again. It is when you look a bit deeper, beneath the surface contradictions, that the wisdom becomes glaring.
Below are 20 paradoxes I’ve come across which are, paradoxically, still true:

1. The more you learn, the more you realize how little you know. Every time you gain a greater understanding, it creates even more questions than it answers.

2. The more you try to impress people, the less impressed they’ll be. Nobody likes a desperado.

3. The more afraid you are of death, the less you’ll be able to enjoy life. How well you live your life is about courage.

4. The more you fail, the more likely you are to succeed. Edison tried over 10,000 prototypes before getting the lightbulb right. Michael Jordan got cut from his high school team but now one of the greatest basketballer of all time. Success comes from improvement and improvement comes from failure. There’s no shortcut around it ( i have recently written a book on this)

5. The more you’re afraid to fail, the more likely you are to fail. What you are afraid of can become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

6. The more something scares you, the more you should probably do it. With the exception of genuinely life-threatening or physically harmful activities, our fight-or-flight response kicks in when we’re confronted with past traumas or actualizing the self we dream of being. For instance: speaking to an attractive person, going for a job interview, public speaking, starting a business, saying something controversial, being painfully honest with somebody, etc., etc. These are all things that make you scared, and they make you scared because they are things that should be done.

7. The more you hate a trait in someone else, the more likely you are avoiding it in yourself. Carl Jung believed that characteristics in others that bother us are reflections of the parts of ourselves that we deny. For example,the man who’s insecure about his money will criticize others for theirs.

8. The less you care about others, the less you care about yourself. I know this may go against every perception you’ve ever had , but people treat people the way they treat themselves. It may not be apparent on the outside, but people who are cruel to the people around them are cruel to themselves.

9.The more available something is, the less you will want it. Humans have a strong scarcity bias. We unconsciously assume things that are scarce are valuable and things that are abundant are not. This is not the case.

10. The more choices you have, the less satisfied you are with each one. This is the “paradox of choice.” Research shows that when we’re presented with more options, we become less satisfied with any particular one we go with. The theory is that when we have so many options, we have greater opportunity costs to selecting each particular one; therefore, we’re less happy with our decision.

11. The harder you push for something, the harder it will feel to achieve. When we expect something to be difficult, we often unconsciously make it more difficult. For instance, many years ago, I assumed starting a conversation with a stranger was something that was highly abnormal and therefore “difficult.” Little did I realize all I had to do was say “Hi” and then ask a simple question; that would get me 90% of the way there. But because it felt hard, I proceeded to make it hard for myself.

12. Less is more. How can less be more? The concept is that something less complicated is often more appreciated.

13. The best way to meet someone else is to not need to be with someone else. The fact remains that the best way to find a relationship — committed or otherwise — is by not needing a relationship to be happy and investing more in yourself.

14. The more honest you are about your faults, the more people will think you’re perfect. The amazing thing about vulnerability is the more comfortable you are about not being that great, the more people will think you are.

15. The more you try to keep someone close, the further away you’ll push them. If your girlfriend feels obligated to spend her weekends with you, then the time you spend together has become meaningless. Let being with you be a choice not obligations.

16. The more you try to argue with someone, the less likely you are to convince them of your perspective. The reason for this is that most arguments are emotional in nature. They come from someone’s values or self-perceptions being violated. Logic is only used to validate those pre-existing beliefs and values. It’s rarely about the objective or logical truth as much as it is repairing people’s worldviews. For any real debate to truly exist, both parties must be making an honest concession to put their egos aside and only deal with the data. This is rare, as anyone who’s spent any time on an internet forum could tell you.

17. The more convinced someone is that they’re right, the less they probably know. There’s a direct correlation between how open a person is to differing perspectives and how much that person actually knows about any given subject. Or as the philosopher Bertrand Russell once said: “The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.”

18. The more connected we get, the more isolated we feel. Despite being in more constant communication than ever via social media, research finds an increase in loneliness and depression in the world over the past few decades.

19. The only certainty is that nothing is ever certain. This realization almost made my head explode when I entered my tween.

20. The only constant is change. Nothing is permanent it must always change. You are not thesame person you were 10years ago.

Cc
Lalasticlala Myndd44 seun

45 Likes 13 Shares

Re: 20 Life Paradoxes That Are True by osamz007: 11:55am On Nov 17, 2020
WRITE WITH NORMAL FONTS NA NO DEY GIVE ME EYE PAIN BECAUSE OF PARADOX

2 Likes

Re: 20 Life Paradoxes That Are True by Degrezhaa: 12:02pm On Nov 17, 2020
Nice
Re: 20 Life Paradoxes That Are True by donbachi(m): 12:11pm On Nov 17, 2020
Thanks.u just made my day.
Re: 20 Life Paradoxes That Are True by Dpsychologist: 12:25pm On Nov 17, 2020
donbachi:
Thanks.u just made my day.
Uwc
Re: 20 Life Paradoxes That Are True by softguy1: 12:40pm On Nov 17, 2020
this is awesome!!

very soon we will move to:

How to attain power,

How to make people love you

and much more...
Re: 20 Life Paradoxes That Are True by Notateflonguy(m): 1:02pm On Nov 17, 2020
This is enlightening. Keep up with the good works op. Your topics are always on point
Re: 20 Life Paradoxes That Are True by Karlifate: 1:15pm On Nov 17, 2020
Great thread.

1 Like

Re: 20 Life Paradoxes That Are True by Nobody: 1:22pm On Nov 17, 2020
no2 is very correct.
Re: 20 Life Paradoxes That Are True by Nobody: 1:23pm On Nov 17, 2020
Nice one
Re: 20 Life Paradoxes That Are True by Enigma2049(m): 1:43pm On Nov 17, 2020
Amazing
Re: 20 Life Paradoxes That Are True by Dpsychologist: 1:54pm On Nov 17, 2020
softguy1:
this is awesome!!

very soon we will move to:

How to attain power,

How to make people love you

and much more...
I am planning on opening a thread on attaining power, however it is going to be controversial.

5 Likes

Re: 20 Life Paradoxes That Are True by xxxXXXxxx: 4:05pm On Nov 17, 2020
Sensible
Re: 20 Life Paradoxes That Are True by Blessedboy23(m): 5:23pm On Nov 17, 2020
Wow bravo wink
Re: 20 Life Paradoxes That Are True by SpeciMental: 5:28pm On Nov 17, 2020
Interesting topic, Dpsychologist. Hope you could do some more like this, yeah?

Well, my take:
Number 1 is true. The more you learn, the more you realise how much there is to know, the more modest you become about your knowledge. In fact, science has only ended up discovering how little we know about our universe.

You have two number 2s up there. I won't totally go with the second. I won't trust anyone as humans are primarily selfish, just so I never get disappointed, a principle that ensures I'm never caught off guard in business or personal relationships. I would draw "trust templates" covering different activities for each person according to their track record but still leave room for disappointment. But I believe I can be trusted not because I'm any less selfish but because I try to ensure none is fooled into believing in me beyond what I know I'm capable of and if I'm gonna disappoint, at least I'd be sure to let you know. I always try to set things very clear from the start and often along the line, so you know exactly what to expect.
In that sense, though I'm human and selfish too, I can be trusted.

I think 4&5 are two sides of a coin and so true. I have found that only enough failure will lead you to success. This is true when you begin to go for very high-flying achievements of a global scale, not mere 'local-champion" ones. You fail and repeat until you no longer fear failure and it's shame. And once that roadblock of fear is out of your way, almost nothing stops you now.

I've found no.13 works like this. The more you invest in building capacity and your own goals, the less time you have for people, the less your "need" for them and the more valuable you make yourself with continually added skills and knowledge base. Hence, the more relevant you become to people and society at large. A point I was just making to Jannuxajj on his thread.

No.16 is always true for emotional people and sometimes even logical people. I've found that humans, even the logical, assume a stance based on underlying beliefs biased with our experience first and then proceed to logically defend it. Even in the realm of pure logic, we can always logically defend contrasting views. The ID/evolution argument in science is a good example of this.

No.18 would be because of globalisation. Access to diverse minds/lifestyles/cultures is access to diverse options for one's own life that could leave one who is yet to discover himself more confused, hence less at peace with themselves due to the created awareness of the void within them. This void due to lack of self-realisation is the loneliness they feel.

As for no.19, physical laws are certain. They never get compromised in their domain. The law of gravity is certain, anytime, anyday, for instance.

#Unemotional, purely Mental from the philosophical Specimen#

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 20 Life Paradoxes That Are True by ubunja(m): 5:32pm On Nov 17, 2020
Looks like you repeated number 2.

1 Like

Re: 20 Life Paradoxes That Are True by Nobody: 5:37pm On Nov 17, 2020
True but too long
Re: 20 Life Paradoxes That Are True by kazyhm(m): 6:12pm On Nov 17, 2020
Dpsychologist:

A paradox is a statement that may seem contradictory but can be true (or at least make sense). This makes them stand out and play an important role in literature and everyday life.

Some of the most important truths in life are contradictory on the surface. They seem like impossibilities, yet experience proves them to be obvious over and over again. It is when you look a bit deeper, beneath the surface contradictions, that the wisdom becomes glaring.
Below are 20 paradoxes I’ve come across which are, paradoxically, still true:

1. The more you learn, the more you realize how little you know. Every time you gain a greater understanding, it creates even more questions than it answers.

2. The more you try to impress people, the less impressed they’ll be. Nobody likes a desperado.

2. People who can’t trust, can’t be trusted. People who are chronically insecure in their relationships are more likely to sabotage them. For one way people protect themselves from getting hurt is by hurting others first.

3. The more afraid you are of death, the less you’ll be able to enjoy life. How well you live your life is about courage.

4. The more you fail, the more likely you are to succeed. Edison tried over 10,000 prototypes before getting the lightbulb right. Michael Jordan got cut from his high school team but now one of the greatest basketballer of all time. Success comes from improvement and improvement comes from failure. There’s no shortcut around it ( i have recently written a book on this)

5. The more you’re afraid to fail, the more likely you are to fail. What you are afraid of can become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

6. The more something scares you, the more you should probably do it. With the exception of genuinely life-threatening or physically harmful activities, our fight-or-flight response kicks in when we’re confronted with past traumas or actualizing the self we dream of being. For instance: speaking to an attractive person, going for a job interview, public speaking, starting a business, saying something controversial, being painfully honest with somebody, etc., etc. These are all things that make you scared, and they make you scared because they are things that should be done.

7. The more you hate a trait in someone else, the more likely you are avoiding it in yourself. Carl Jung believed that characteristics in others that bother us are reflections of the parts of ourselves that we deny. For example,the man who’s insecure about his money will criticize others for theirs.

8. The less you care about others, the less you care about yourself. I know this may go against every perception you’ve ever had , but people treat people the way they treat themselves. It may not be apparent on the outside, but people who are cruel to the people around them are cruel to themselves.

9.The more available something is, the less you will want it. Humans have a strong scarcity bias. We unconsciously assume things that are scarce are valuable and things that are abundant are not. This is not the case.

10. The more choices you have, the less satisfied you are with each one. This is the “paradox of choice.” Research shows that when we’re presented with more options, we become less satisfied with any particular one we go with. The theory is that when we have so many options, we have greater opportunity costs to selecting each particular one; therefore, we’re less happy with our decision.

11. The harder you push for something, the harder it will feel to achieve. When we expect something to be difficult, we often unconsciously make it more difficult. For instance, many years ago, I assumed starting a conversation with a stranger was something that was highly abnormal and therefore “difficult.” Little did I realize all I had to do was say “Hi” and then ask a simple question; that would get me 90% of the way there. But because it felt hard, I proceeded to make it hard for myself.

12. Less is more. How can less be more? The concept is that something less complicated is often more appreciated.

13. The best way to meet someone else is to not need to be with someone else. The fact remains that the best way to find a relationship — committed or otherwise — is by not needing a relationship to be happy and investing more in yourself.

14. The more honest you are about your faults, the more people will think you’re perfect. The amazing thing about vulnerability is the more comfortable you are about not being that great, the more people will think you are.

15. The more you try to keep someone close, the further away you’ll push them. If your girlfriend feels obligated to spend her weekends with you, then the time you spend together has become meaningless. Let being with you be a choice not obligations.

16. The more you try to argue with someone, the less likely you are to convince them of your perspective. The reason for this is that most arguments are emotional in nature. They come from someone’s values or self-perceptions being violated. Logic is only used to validate those pre-existing beliefs and values. It’s rarely about the objective or logical truth as much as it is repairing people’s worldviews. For any real debate to truly exist, both parties must be making an honest concession to put their egos aside and only deal with the data. This is rare, as anyone who’s spent any time on an internet forum could tell you.

17. The more convinced someone is that they’re right, the less they probably know. There’s a direct correlation between how open a person is to differing perspectives and how much that person actually knows about any given subject. Or as the philosopher Bertrand Russell once said: “The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.”

18. The more connected we get, the more isolated we feel. Despite being in more constant communication than ever via social media, research finds an increase in loneliness and depression in the world over the past few decades.

19. The only certainty is that nothing is ever certain. This realization almost made my head explode when I entered my tween.

20. The only constant is change. Nothing is permanent it must always change. You are not thesame person you were 10years ago.

Cc
Lalasticlala Farano Myndd44 seun dominique
Re: 20 Life Paradoxes That Are True by Dpsychologist: 6:59pm On Nov 17, 2020
ubunja:
Looks like you repeated number 2.
Thanks for that observation, I just corrected it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 20 Life Paradoxes That Are True by Dpsychologist: 7:15pm On Nov 17, 2020
Here are some honourable mentions not on the list;

¶ "All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others" :
George Orwell was making a political statement here. Perhaps it's that the government claims everyone is equal when, clearly, that's false. Not everyone is equal before the law.

¶ Death, thou shalt die:
On the surface, this seems absurd Quite the contrary, though, what this means is that, upon death, heaven is imminent. And, in heaven, death shall die, because you are no longer at the mercy of your inevitable demise.

¶ I must be cruel to be kind : On the surface, once again, this statement doesn't seem to make much sense. The fact is that in Life if you allow yourself to be a push over its game over.

Here are others

¶ You Save money by spending it.

¶ If I know one thing, it's that I know nothing.

¶ You education begins after graduation

¶ Deep down, we are really shallow.

¶ "Men work together whether they work together or apart." - Robert Frost

¶ Here are the rules: Ignore all rules.

¶ The second sentence is false. The first sentence is true.

¶ We miss those who do not miss us.

¶ This is the beginning of the end.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 20 Life Paradoxes That Are True by JasperVII(m): 8:11pm On Nov 17, 2020
Dpsychologist! Always on point. Nice one bro

1 Like

Re: 20 Life Paradoxes That Are True by Bedesipop(m): 9:26pm On Nov 17, 2020
Dpsychologist:
Here are some honourable mentions not on the list;

¶ "All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others" :
George Orwell was making a political statement here. Perhaps it's that the government claims everyone is equal when, clearly, that's false. Not everyone is equal before the law.

¶ Death, thou shalt die:
On the surface, this seems absurd Quite the contrary, though, what this means is that, upon death, heaven is imminent. And, in heaven, death shall die, because you are no longer at the mercy of your inevitable demise.

¶ I must be cruel to be kind : On the surface, once again, this statement doesn't seem to make much sense. The fact is that in Life if you allow yourself to be a push over its game over.

Here are others

¶ You Save money by spending it.

¶ If I know one thing, it's that I know nothing.

¶ You education begins after graduation

¶ Deep down, we are really shallow.

¶ "Men work together whether they work together or apart." - Robert Frost

¶ Here are the rules: Ignore all rules.

¶ The second sentence is false. The first sentence is true.

¶ We miss those who do not miss us.

¶ This is the beginning of the end.
Re: 20 Life Paradoxes That Are True by Higgies(m): 9:52pm On Nov 17, 2020
Great!
More elbows to your greece Sire.

PS: @Kazyhm please unquote the epistle.
It's tiring.
Re: 20 Life Paradoxes That Are True by gift2xl: 11:27pm On Nov 17, 2020
Bravo
Re: 20 Life Paradoxes That Are True by tobechi74: 1:27am On Nov 18, 2020
Thanks for sharing
Re: 20 Life Paradoxes That Are True by Churchill6767: 6:20am On Nov 18, 2020
Great stuff, but quote the author if it isn't original.
Re: 20 Life Paradoxes That Are True by Dpsychologist: 9:13pm On Jan 11, 2021
<!DOCTYPE html> <html>
<head>
<title>HTML Table Header</title>
</head>
<body>
<table border = "1">
<tr>
<th>Name</th>
<th>Salary</th>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Ramesh Raman</td>
<td>5000</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Shabbir Hussein</td>
<td>7000</td>
</tr>
</table> </body> </html>
Re: 20 Life Paradoxes That Are True by Regex: 9:15pm On Jan 11, 2021
Dpsychologist:
<!DOCTYPE html> <html>
<head>
<title>HTML Table Header</title>
</head>
<body>
<table border = "1">
<tr>
<th>Name</th>
<th>Salary</th>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Ramesh Raman</td>
<td>5000</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td>Shabbir Hussein</td>
<td>7000</td>
</tr>
</table> </body> </html>

Markup Lang... I see.
Re: 20 Life Paradoxes That Are True by Degrezhaa: 10:30am On Jan 12, 2021
Dpsychologist:
<!DOCTYPE html> <html> <head> <title>HTML Table Header</title> </head> <body> <table border = "1"> <tr> <th>Name</th> <th>Salary</th> </tr> <tr> <td>Ramesh Raman</td> <td>5000</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Shabbir Hussein</td> <td>7000</td> </tr> </table> </body> </html>
Can you please elaborate on this.

(1) (Reply)

Man Catch His Only Daughter Full Naked Doing Twerking Online.video / Sex Is Overrated! / How I Raped My Husband!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.