Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,590 members, 7,823,556 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:41 AM

Please - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Please (1097 Views)

Please I'm Confused. Help!!! / 3 Weeks To Wedding & I'm Confused! Please Advise Me / Nairalanders, I'm Just Tired & helpless in this situation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please by Amna1(m): 6:01am On Nov 19, 2020
Maa
Re: Please by JOACHINpedro: 6:13am On Nov 19, 2020
It's better to get a First Class in botany than 3rd class in pharmacy.
Meanwhile give me your number, I want to date you, your future seems bright grin

1 Like

Re: Please by heniford2: 6:33am On Nov 19, 2020
JOACHINpedro:
Meanwhile give me your number, I want to date you, your future seems bright grin
Really your funny
Re: Please by Nobody: 6:36am On Nov 19, 2020
Amna1:
So I'm a student of botany(level 2)and I'm doing quite really good as I'm on a g.p of 4.6,so along the line everyone i meet keeps condemning the course like it's not worth it and completely a waste of time....

So i tried retaking jamb,of course to change my course.then i realized starting afresh will make me lose precious years and age is not in my side, it's a health course it'll take me about 6 years, inclusive with ASUU strike around 8 years to complete please nairalanders what do you suggest should i continue with botany and aim for first class or switch to the health profession.

Someone said in nigeria the degree doesn't matter but rather the certificate.

Continue and graduate, I studied Business Administration in school and doing Software Engineer. Certificate or degrees doesn't really matter as long as you keep updating yourself with skills. That's what companies look at. Don't waste anymore of your years. I think botany is alright and you can always venture. Someone I know who studied comp science is selling shoes and making money from it. What do you intend to do after school ? That can serve as a starting point for advice

2 Likes

Re: Please by Samakus(m): 6:36am On Nov 19, 2020
Continue with Botany. When you're through, you can further your studies abroad and get a good life there too.

That guy asking for your number is a male hoe. While female hoes look for urgent 2k, male hoes look for urgent phone number. Evade him like leprosy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Please by Nobody: 6:49am On Nov 19, 2020
Your grade so far is good so I'll advise you put your mind on making first class in that course for now.

You can always get a second degree later and who knows, you may even end up abroad where Botany degree is more appreciated.
Re: Please by Gerrard59(m): 7:17am On Nov 19, 2020
Amna1:
So I'm a student of botany(level 2)and I'm doing quite really good as I'm on a g.p of 4.6,so along the line everyone i meet keeps condemning the course like it's not worth it and completely a waste of time....
So i tried retaking jamb,of course to change my course.then i realized starting afresh will make me lose precious years and age is not in my side, it's a health course it'll take me about 6 years, inclusive with ASUU strike around 8 years to complete please nairalanders what do you suggest should i continue with botany and aim for first class or switch to the health profession.

If there was to be a change of course, it should have been in the first year not now and certainly not with that grade of yours. You are better off finishing Botany (preferably with a first class which is possible). Anywhere in the world, you can work with the degree provided you have the skills and knowledge unless for professional disciplines like medicine, law, engineering etc. For instance, if you later develop predilection for the finance industry, having a degree in Botany does not stop you from writing ICAN (I wrote it then and passed all Foundation's courses) or being employed by professional services' firms like PwC or KPMG (your first class grade will be more important than the course itself) or even by McKinsey (if you finish with a first class from a McKinsey preferred university). Alternatively, you might later like the course as you progress through your third to final year and will want to further your studies abroad. Again, your first class grade will be very vital as this will provide opportunities to grad programs in top universities. Imagine getting a scholarship to further in plant genetics, molecular biology, biotechnology in Cornell, UC Davis, University of Washington, Wageningen university, UC Berkeley, UofMadison etc? If you finish with a first class, you could even apply for a direct PhD in those schools I listed and guess what? You would be funded, one kobo, you won't pay! The field of biology is getting hot these days, I liken it to the software industry in the early/mid 2000s. With climate change, a(n) aging/rising population and demand for food, there are many hot sub-fields, one of which is gene editing. Recently, two of the founders won the Nobel prize in Chemistry and many companies have been spinned out using the technology - Inari Agriculture, Tropic Biosciences, Caribou Biosciences, Editas Medicine, Beam Therapeutics, Pairwise Plants, Precision Biosciences etc.

I advise you continue with the course while gaining useful skills by the side - writing/publishing for science magazines/websites (if you could rack up at least 5 articles in good magazines, it increases your chances of being funded/scholarship or a direct PhD), attending conferences/presentation (develops your confidence and verbal communication), software skills (this is especially useful in a field like Computational Biology/Protein Engineering) etc. Trust me, there are a plethora of opportunities provided you study assiduously and have the intention of leaving after your studies (na your type developed countries need irrespective of the whole migration brouhaha). Yours is even Botany, mine was more obscure in a country like Nigeria but today, I am a graduate student in one of the best universities in the world. A poor grade and little to no extracurricular activities would have seen me applying for TradeMoni or chanting Sai Baba like those riff-raffs who populate the politics section. grin

Best wishes!

3 Likes

Re: Please by Uzomacharles: 7:31am On Nov 19, 2020
JOACHINpedro:

Chai
Re: Please by Gerrard59(m): 7:33am On Nov 19, 2020
Just saw the term "level 2", I presume you are in OAU, right? Although, OAU convokes lots of first class graduates, I have never seen/read about a first class grad in Botany from OAU. Correct me if I am wrong. Has anyone graduated with a first class from Botany in the department's history? I am more concerned with you finishing with a first class before extra-curricular skills (considering the standard of education in Nigeria and limited opportunities to indulge in EC activities, most schools abroad are more concerned with your grade). On that note, I implore you to go through these threads as they will be useful in your sojourn.

- https://www.nairaland.com/163757/secrets-first-class-students
- https://www.nairaland.com/2425806/how-wake-dead-cgpa-school
- https://www.nairaland.com/1896298/why-must-finish-least-2.1
- https://www.nairaland.com/2193675/11-career-success-tips-students
- https://www.nairaland.com/934777/9-ways-make-first-class
- https://www.nairaland.com/2496651/nysc-8-things-must-before
- https://www.nairaland.com/934777/9-ways-make-first-class
- https://www.nairaland.com/2144656/dear-jobseeking-graduate-heres-what

Make dem no ban me o. cry
Re: Please by Amna1(m): 10:30am On Nov 19, 2020
I'm really grateful for the candid advice i got from you guys, forever grateful.

But can i apply for other government jobs with a botany degree like frsc,ncs,nia e.t.c
Re: Please by Gerrard59(m): 3:44pm On Nov 19, 2020
Amna1:
I'm really grateful for the candid advice i got from you guys, forever grateful.

But can i apply for other government jobs with a botany degree like frsc,ncs,nia e.t.c

You seem to like the shithole. undecided

Well, you can apply. Good luck!

1 Like

Re: Please by agroventures: 4:00pm On Nov 19, 2020
Gerrard59:

You seem to like the shithole. undecided

Well, you can apply. Good luck!
The mind is a powerful thing. OP needs a mind make over.

1 Like

Re: Please by Daniiel: 4:06pm On Nov 19, 2020
Amna1:

abeg if u get the admission for any medical course pls go ... send me a pm i wud convince you ... my mates in medical college we ain't mate after graduation .
read a professional course ... be like u be unilag student ?
Re: Please by Effulgent(m): 4:17pm On Nov 19, 2020
to be candid, if you get admission for medical course

medicine
nursing
med lab science

please go, Nigeria no dey smile
you will recover the spent years,forget botany jare
since you can do well in botany, you will do well in med line, certificate these days not get value again if e no be medical line

you better listen
Re: Please by Amna1(m): 4:55pm On Nov 19, 2020
Effulgent:

medicine
nursing
med lab science

since you can do well in botany, you will do well in med line, certificate these days not get value again if e no be medical line

you better listen
See this idiot that's if luck and connection no dey your side
Re: Please by Amna1(m): 4:57pm On Nov 19, 2020
Effulgent:

medicine
nursing
med lab science

you better listen
Actually i i can't spend time reading too much that's why i can't excel in the medical line
Re: Please by Amna1(m): 5:00pm On Nov 19, 2020
agroventures:

The mind is a powerful thing. OP needs a mind make over.
Just because you've lost hope doesn't mean I'm unfortunate like you
Re: Please by Pascal11: 6:34pm On Nov 19, 2020
Botany is a good course
If you put your heart to it you will enjoy it.
You can even set up yourself in medicinal plant and makes herbs you will just package it.
All this oroki and oko oloyun started somewhere.
Bottom line is don't change your course because of peoples opinion on it
Re: Please by Effulgent(m): 6:49pm On Nov 19, 2020
Amna1:
See this idiot that's if luck and connection no dey your side
Now I see why you can't excel in medical line......
Re: Please by Plut01: 6:56pm On Nov 19, 2020
Amna1:

If this is really your target, then start networking with people ASAP. Leave your comfort reading zone and start relating with professionals.
Remember a slot for custom alone is now 1.5 milla?
Start with a LinkedIn profile.

(1) (Reply)

GIVEAWAY CLOSED!!! / Have You Cried In Public? If Yes Why. / Slaves To The Smelly Hole Have Messed This World Up! (see Why)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.