Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,871 members, 7,824,626 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:46 PM

Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? - Travel (20) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? (96749 Views)

Lion Spotted Taking A Walk On The Streets In Roma, Italy Last Night (pics/video) / Japa: Don't Insult Nigeria If You Fall Under These Kind Of People (opinion) / Dubai Tram: Why Don't We Have This Mode Of Public Transport In Nigeria? (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (29) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by poseidon12: 4:08pm On Nov 23, 2020
RuudVanNisteroy:
Small oil rich Warri,Delta state should look like one of these cities. Nigerian leaders are just evil.

That can happen if Nigeria is restructured into a real federal system. It will never happen under the unitary system that Nigeria is operating.
Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by Ifeoluwav(f): 4:08pm On Nov 23, 2020
poseidon12:

Racism? Tribalism is rampant in Nigeria.

This is because British joined nations that are not supposed to be together and because of lies we where told about ourselves it got worse.
Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by FX(m): 4:09pm On Nov 23, 2020
RuudVanNisteroy:
A British leader will travel to Tokyo,Japan and marvel at the train system and try replicate it in London,England.

An American leader will travel to Munich, Germany and marvel at the engineering and latest technology and create a factory that replicates what he saw that generates employment in New York.

A Nigerian leader will travel to London,England and marvel at the architecture and streets and run back home to loot money to acquire property in Chelsea,London.
Laugh wan kee me ooo. Very funny
Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by CHIMAOBICCU(m): 4:10pm On Nov 23, 2020
Raydos:
Just take a look at this!!

Nigeria leaders both past and present should be killed by hanging, Those that are dead should be brought out and re-kill properly
which country
Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by Ifeoluwav(f): 4:11pm On Nov 23, 2020
Twizzy30:
it seems to me that you’re agreeing with him, blacks can’t seem to fo anything right without the help of the whites

I am not agreeing with him, I said that so that he can notice the pattern/trend. It is the world against blacks. Study true history you will see what I mean.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:13pm On Nov 23, 2020
poseidon12:

You raise the money by restructuring the country.

Sorry, but restructuting does not work

Yes, I know we have in mind the first republic, but at the end of the first republc, most parts of Nigeria weren't developed. Most parts of Nigeria had no light, no roads, no schools etc. Most of the infrastructure was built under the unitary government since 1966....doesn't mean unitarisim is good either.

The problem with Nigeria and restructruing..is that regions will sell their raw materials and share the money. At the end of the day, the same old arguments we are ahving at the national level will be replicted at the regional level ( and if regions worked...why were people so pro-states? It wasn't because the North because the Hausas prefered the old regional structure)

I want to see Niigerians learning to use their raw materais to power industrial growth. Not so that we can sell and share the money. Then we can talk restructruing.
Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by umar187: 4:14pm On Nov 23, 2020
With this kinda government system?
Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:17pm On Nov 23, 2020
RuudVanNisteroy:
A British leader will travel to Tokyo,Japan and marvel at the train system and try replicate it in London,England.

An American leader will travel to Munich, Germany and marvel at the engineering and latest technology and create a factory that replicates what he saw that generates employment in New York.

A Nigerian leader will travel to London,England and marvel at the architecture and streets and run back home to loot money to acquire property in Chelsea,London.

So you want a Nigerian leader to go to Tokyo and replicate their railway system...and maintain it with what money and on a gdp that is far less than Japan.?

You mean well, but what you are implying will end us up with more debt or with a railway that would break down in years because no money for maintenance.(due to the fact that people want to pay cheap ticket prices).

You Want Nigeria to be like Japan? Support a government that makes Nigeria industrial like Japan. Support a government that allows the power sector to charge properly for electricity and petrol...so that there would be enough power for an active industrial sector.

You want Nigeria to be like Japan. On a gdp and tax rate far less than Japan/ ? Shey you bought Ferrari at the price of a bicycle/?
Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by McTominay(m): 4:18pm On Nov 23, 2020
Yenefer:
Because just like fingers are different. Countries are also different they maybe rich and develop now,. Nigeria will also rise and develop. they may also fall
My dear let's be realistic and stop saying stuffs like this, Nigeria can never rise to this level. Not forever.
Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by GreyLaw(m): 4:20pm On Nov 23, 2020
tsdarkside:
this silly question is gettin borin....

completly different culture....

and if goverment build something like that wouldnt you people ruin it fast with una rough nature....??
its not true that their are no streets like this in nigeria....

and you are fooling yourself when you think everywhere abroad is like this....

Lol... different culture?! So your culture forbids beauty, yeah?

1 Like

Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by mt77: 4:22pm On Nov 23, 2020
mt77:
Why don't we have beautiful streets that look like the ones posted above? Answer:
Several reasons probably- ; would citizens stop throwing garbage, empty water/drink plastic bottles, pure water nylons, house -hold garbage, faeces wrapped in black nylon bags(esp Lagos), on the streets? Would street traders stop selling on the streets- both static and itinerant hawkers. Would dirt evacuated from drains not be poured onto the road instead of taken to dump sites? Would landlords and tenants cease to cut roads to pass water or electric cable wires after road construction and commissioning?
Would tippers not convey sand dripping with water uncovered on roads unchecked as seen on our roads?
Would the depraved people in power not inflate x10 the cost of road construction and hence do inferior work with their contractors. Would politicians award road jobs to seasoned contractors instead of their cronies who would use wheel barrow, shovel etc as we saw in one State in the South East.
Would the public servants charged with supervision of the jobs, do it without collecting kick backs to allow infractions?
Where do we start? There are many reasons why our roads cannot be like that.
Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by poseidon12: 4:23pm On Nov 23, 2020
SirWarlock:
Culture cos imo Nigerians don't have a knack for beauty and maintenance. Those streets definitely aren't new so would have gone years of redesigning and maintenance. Also did we as a country ever care of urban design and planning and I'm talking about not just demolishing property in the name of infringement undecided

You hit the nail on the head. It has a lot more to do with culture and less to do with corruption. The subsaharan African culture embraces chaos.
Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by McTominay(m): 4:23pm On Nov 23, 2020
PhiliptheArab:

So you want a Nigerian leader to go to Tokyo and replicate their railway system...and maintain it with what money and on a gdp that is far less than Japan.?

You mean well, but what you are implying will end us up with more debt or with a railway that would break down in years because no money for maintenance.(due to the fact that people want to pay cheap ticket prices).

You Want Nigeria to be like Japan? Support a government that makes Nigeria industrial like Japan. Support a government that allows the power sector to charge properly for electricity and petrol...so that there would be enough power for an active industrial sector.

You want Nigeria to be like Japan. On a gdp and tax rate far less than Japan/ ? Shey you bought Ferrari at the price of a bicycle/?

All the highrise buildings in high-rise areas where did they get the designs from?
It's high time we stopped spending billions of borrowed money on roads and payment of salaries and start building farms and refineries/ industries.
Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by poseidon12: 4:25pm On Nov 23, 2020
Allwell96:
We also have fine streets like these in some major cities in Nigeria, like Abuja, Lagos, kaduna, Calabar etc.

I hear you, Lai Mohammed!

1 Like

Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by GreyLaw(m): 4:26pm On Nov 23, 2020
PhiliptheArab:

Are you a politician? You sound like one, albeit smart.

No, Nigerians are not asking for Japan-like systems, Nigerians are asking for functionality. Common train system your leaders cannot even get right. They are still fighting on how to build it with geopolitical manipulations to suit their ulterior motives.

Sorry, if Nigeria had Britain's money today, they still wouldn't look like cool places in SA, Egypt, and Morocco, not to even talk of the Western world. On the other hand, if Britain had Nigeria's money today, lived here and ruled this country, they'd do something functional and beautiful.

These are facts. Don't keep supporting kleptocrats in agbada answering politicians in Nigeria. It seems you have not come to terms with the mind boggling corruption in the Nigerian space.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by davien(m): 4:27pm On Nov 23, 2020
No need to hate your race for those saying black man this or that, it's the same we Nigerians with black brain that go abroad and amaze the people living there with our creativity and skills.

The real problem this country has is a lack of patriotism. If we upheld our country like we do with our religion and tribal men then everything is just a matter of time. It used to mean something when you say Federal Republic of Nigeria.

It's a mindset, its why they can behave and develop things accordingly. It's why Russians, Americans, Indians etc are top dog in development as they are patriotic to the core.

The small patriotism that we had with the endsars protest was taken aback due to fear from the very officials who are meant to hold our comradry. Nigeria is an identity lost child being pulled by mentally backward and socially bankrupt individuals.

1 Like

Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by McTominay(m): 4:30pm On Nov 23, 2020
We keep bashing ourselves for no just reason.
Do we know that if the govt works to increase the value naira to dollars slot can be achieved? Instead they keep working to devalue the naira every single day... The very first thing we need in this country is an economic revolution, increase the value of naira to dollars and watch every other thing fall in place.
Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:33pm On Nov 23, 2020
GreyLaw:

Are you a politician? You sound like one, albeit smart.

No, Nigerians are not asking for Japan-like systems, Nigerians are asking for functionality. Common train system your leaders cannot even get right. They are still fighting on how to build it with geopolitical manipulations to suit their ulterior motives.

Sorry, if Nigeria had Britain's money today, they still wouldn't look like cool places in SA, Egypt, and Morocco, not to even talk of the Western world. On the other hand, if Britain had Nigeria's money today, lived here and ruled this country, they'd do something functional and beautiful.

These are facts. Don't keep supporting kleptocrats in agbada answering politicians in Nigeria. It seems you have not come to terms with the mind boggling corruption in the Nigerian space.

Well, I won't mind a functional railway system in Nigeria.

The problem is, in Nigeria, it would be government run...meaning that instead of it being run effiecnetly, it would be flled with people appointed by politcians fr politicans, and ticket prices would be sold cheaply meaning...the rail loses money.And then collapses (We were here with Nigeria railways...plus the corruption too )

Funny you mentioned the UK. In the 1970's the UK rail was government run....a ticket from London to Manchester cost below 5 pounds. And the rail was badly run and messed up

They prvatised the thing...except the entity cntrolling the rails in the 1990's. Today a ticket from London to Manchester is very expensive, BUT.....the railways run much better.
Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by Nobody: 4:36pm On Nov 23, 2020
McTominay:

All the highrise buildings in high-rise areas where did they get the designs from?
It's high time we stopped spending billions of borrowed money on roads and payment of salaries and start building farms and refineries/ industries.

Private investment. It is not like government came in and built them.

Plus you want us to build famrs and refinereis and industries and at the end of the day we sell the stuff they produce below the production price because 'NIGERIANS ARE POOR'?

Shey you can run industries and refinereis at a loss?
Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by mrMeen(m): 4:36pm On Nov 23, 2020
Raydos:

As much as I hate to admit this, it could perhaps turns out to be true at the end

That's why I am trying my best to at least not just my generation, but the whole black Race can enjoy this kind of world class Infrastructure in Africa before they die!!

Unlike a typical black man who thinks about himself and his family alone, I'm quite different, I think about the black Race entirely
bros this is something that I want to do too, may I recommend you start off as a state governor so you that you can develop it to your image afterwards the road to presidency will be easy.
Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by ThugBoy(m): 4:37pm On Nov 23, 2020
When greedy people rule the nation! Don’t expect development.
Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by Psoul(m): 4:46pm On Nov 23, 2020
We may never have it cos, both the people and those ruling them are not created to have this kind of beautiful place.
Even when some exceptional leaders try to build something close to that, the citizens will vandalize them.

I have seen people vandalize street lights. Steal the batteries or the solar installations.
The beautiful gauze used to demarcate roads to avoid unnecessary trespass, are bn vandalized and resold.
Stainless hand rails on our walk-ways are destroyed and stolen.

So tell me, how can beautiful cities work here.
Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by dalass(f): 4:53pm On Nov 23, 2020
PhiliptheArab:

We also even allowing for a return of all the loot dont have as much cash as the U.S.

Even if we had as much, such things will not be done because our politicians only delight in the beautification of their families and accounts and not the cities
Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by lightwind(m): 4:55pm On Nov 23, 2020
GreenArrow1:
I was with my uncle driving on a federal highway last year when he just stopped the car for a brief moment and told me, " We are so backward, this place is just a farmland." He then continued driving in silence. That is somebody who constantly travels the world.
Those words and the serious look on his face when he said those words have stuck in my head.

Once the time comes, I go japa. Make my next generation get a chance at normal life, how normal human beings are supposed to live.
Please where was that?
Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by jojokelechi(m): 4:58pm On Nov 23, 2020
see as street look like sitting room.... oh lawd, dont leave me.
Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by Tell1234: 5:00pm On Nov 23, 2020
PhiliptheArab:
We don't have these kind of streets in nigeria because we are not ready to pay the kind of taxes that would fund and maintain those kind of streets.

In the UK, if you are living in the city, you pay council tax which ranges from 60000 to 100000 naira monthly depending on the city. That money goes into making the cities look nice

That's why uk cities have great streets.

If we charged that kind of tax in Nigeria, Nigerians would scream.

So we pay scanty taxes and get scanty and bad roads

The bad roads we have in Nigeria are what we can afford. The sad thing is that looting still happens on top
What happen to the ones we have been paying in the past. the country you cited as example of country that pay council tax of 60000 and above, their citizens does not have to drill their own borehole nor do they have to generate their own light neither employee private security for their safety.
Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:01pm On Nov 23, 2020
dalass:

Even if we had as much, such things will not be done because our politicians only delight in the beautification of their families and accounts and not the cities

One thing the US and the UK and other developed countries do that we don't is rely heavily on taxation for funding government projects...that way, people are incentivised to hold their governments to account, and governments have to perfom or else...

Here in Nigeria, most government revenue comes from revenue from selling whatever raw materails we have like oil...and loans which we take when the cost of our raw materials on the internantional market goes below sustenance rate.Because the money does not come from the people, government is not incentivsed to spend the money wisely and people are not incentivsed to hld their governemt to account...besides all the economic discusiions are about how money is shared, not how it is used.

2 Likes

Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by Ifeoluwav(f): 5:04pm On Nov 23, 2020
Gerrard59:

OK. Could you recommend some books one can read to understand the histories better? Esp regarding blacks being in Korea, I'm interested.

It has been said that most history we know today in books, schools, media e.t.c is propaganda history.

To study true history and the reality in which black people find themselves include the following black icons in your study:

John Henrik Clarke, Cheikh Antadiop, Runoko Rashidi, Frances Welsing, Chancellor Williams, Kwameh Nkurumah, Thomas Sankara, Steven Biko Bantu.

For books about history you can start with:
The destruction of black civilisation by Chancellor Williams
How Europe Underdeveloped Africa by Walter Rodney
Stolen Legacy by Dr George G. M James

Search history of king Leopold 2 of Belgium to know what he did with Africans in Congo and its consequences then and today.

On the internet to learn about Korea(mongols) and other history you go to http://realhistoryww.com/ scroll down then click china-2
Also since true history is not easily available, you can learn on facebook by typing "Africa" in the search bar and alot to learn on YouTube.

Be the judge when you are done, decide if it is true, if there are any dots to connect and decide where the problems of African/black man started and you will know the way forward.

You might have known some of these though. And also avoid this popular search engines.

This is not feel good history.
"We can't know where we are going to if we don't know where we are coming from".

1 Like

Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:05pm On Nov 23, 2020
poseidon12:

You raise the money by restructuring the country.

Communism undecided
Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:06pm On Nov 23, 2020
Tell1234:
What happen to the ones we have been paying in the past. the country you cited as example of country that pay council tax of 60000 and above, their citizens does not have to drill their own borehole nor do they have to generate their own light neither employee private security for their safety.

They don't have to drill their borehole or generate their light because they pay heavily in council tax, water levy and pay for power heavily enough that the cities, the power companies and water companies have enough money to pay for things well well.

Here in Nigeria we don't pay as much, so we don't get enough power and water and light and road...so eveyrone has to drill their own borehole annd buy their own gen.

In the UK...cost of power per kwh is 86 naira. Here in Nigeria it was between 20-30 naira until recently. UK companies have enough cash as a result to pay for fixing power..PLUS...everyone and his mama pays for power. Nothing for ilelgal connection, join join, etc.
Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:07pm On Nov 23, 2020
SmartPolician:

Your stupidity is so disgusting!

Tufiakwa!

Keep on blaming the white man for your stupidity

Without corruption there's still an issue with the global economy of which is rigged by oyinbos.

D guy no stupid at all , you just don't get it

1 Like

Re: Why Don't We Have These Kind Of Streets In Nigeria? by armyofone(m): 5:08pm On Nov 23, 2020
That was when the white man and blond haired people were in control.
Fast forward to the future - see as you guys come spoil the place with dirt and lawlessness undecided

olatuns2017:

This Lagos in 1960s

Stop bringing your brothers to Lagos with nylon bags...
Stay in your state

Second picture was Tinubu square in 1960

IPOB said Tinubu owns Tinubu square...pls send these guys to school because social media will put them to oblivion

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (29) (Reply)

American Wife Shows The Living Condition With Her Nigerian Husband To Her Family / Anna Turaeva: Russian Female Powerlifter Asked To Prove Gender At Airport / Nigerian Man Meets 'Tallest' & 'Shortest' Men In Dubai (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.