Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,226 members, 7,818,770 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:45 AM

Nigeria Approaches UK Over Proposed #endsars Sanctions. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Approaches UK Over Proposed #endsars Sanctions. (33854 Views)

El-Rufai Demolishes Asher Hotel In Kaduna Over Proposed Sex Party / Proposed Endsars Protest: Lagos Police Withdraw Men From Individuals. / ASUU Blasts FG, Aisha Buhari Over Proposed Muhammadu Buhari University (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Approaches UK Over Proposed #endsars Sanctions. by theenchanter: 10:51am On Nov 26, 2020
The Federal Government, yesterday, said it was in touch with officials of the British government to present its side of the #EndSARS story.

This comes after the resolution of the United Kingdom Parliament to impose sanctions on some Nigerian officials over their role in the “violent suppression” of the protests.

Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama, told State House correspondents at the end of the weekly Federal Executive Council (FEC) meeting in Abuja that it was not within the purview of the legislators to impose restrictions but added that it was necessary to espouse Nigeria’s position for an informed decision.

He said: “The UK government has been briefed. There was a UK parliamentarian meeting and the UK government, which acts for the United Kingdom, has also heard the side of the (Nigerian) government regarding everything that has happened.

“So, we have been in touch with them and engaging them. As in every democracy, members of parliament are also able to air their views.

“What is important is that a balanced picture is made available to them before they take any decision.”

It added: “We also call on other countries, including United States, France, the United Arab Emirates, and South Africa, to impose similar sanctions against indicted officials of the Buhari administration for human rights violations and crime against humanity.”
https://m.guardian.ng/news/nigeria-approaches-uk-over-proposed-endsars-sanctions/

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Approaches UK Over Proposed #endsars Sanctions. by sodiqapril(m): 10:53am On Nov 26, 2020
What are you approaching them for after making mouth, Nigerian government will learn the hard way that you don't go around the globe shamelessly begging for loans and still abuse human rights in your country...silly animals

480 Likes 39 Shares

Re: Nigeria Approaches UK Over Proposed #endsars Sanctions. by theenchanter: 10:53am On Nov 26, 2020
This govt is one funny entity, I thought growling like a toothless bulldog is all they could do before.

Yeye set of people that always put the cart before d horse.

136 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigeria Approaches UK Over Proposed #endsars Sanctions. by Jashub: 10:56am On Nov 26, 2020
A balanced story can't be found in this narrative. And the fact still remains : The Nigerian government gave orders to shoot unarmed ENDSARS protesters.

281 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Nigeria Approaches UK Over Proposed #endsars Sanctions. by Stephenlord(m): 11:04am On Nov 26, 2020
But I want to ask, What story is Nigerian government going to tell them?

119 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria Approaches UK Over Proposed #endsars Sanctions. by kunle75(m): 11:33am On Nov 26, 2020
Jashub:
A balanced story is can't be found in this narrative. And the fact still remains : The Nigerian government gave direct orders to shoot an unarmed ENDSARS protesters.

Thank you, i just don't know what is hard in telling the truth by saying they ordered the shooting and they are sorry for their actions.

they are busy lying like Lai Mohammed like as if the youth don't know what and who did what.

100 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigeria Approaches UK Over Proposed #endsars Sanctions. by helinues: 11:35am On Nov 26, 2020
I really don't know why some Nigerians are selfish with their thoughts..

Cos you don't like Buhari does not mean you should be praying for nonsense sanction which will eventually affect the common masses...

10 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Nigeria Approaches UK Over Proposed #endsars Sanctions. by crackhaus: 11:41am On Nov 26, 2020
I don't understand what the minister is saying here:

Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama, told State House correspondents at the end of the weekly Federal Executive Council (FEC) meeting in Abuja that it was not within the purview of the legislators to impose restrictions but added that it was necessary to espouse Nigeria’s position for an informed decision.
If it's not within the purview of the British Parliament to impose sanctions, why then does the Nigerian government still want to present their side of the story? cheesy

139 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Nigeria Approaches UK Over Proposed #endsars Sanctions. by Jashub: 11:41am On Nov 26, 2020
kunle75:

Thank you, i just don't know what is hard in telling the truth by saying they ordered the shooting and they are sorry for their actions.

they are busy lying like Lai Mohammed like as if the youth don't know what and who did what.
I wonder o. But on a more sincere note, I look forward to the UK giving sanctions to our politicians. At least it will put them in a position to admit they messed up big time.

65 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Approaches UK Over Proposed #endsars Sanctions. by GreyLaw(m): 11:43am On Nov 26, 2020
helinues:
I really don't know why some Nigerians are selfish with their thoughts..

Cos you don't like Buhari does not mean you should be praying for nonsense sanction which will eventually affect the common masses...

Buhari and his appointees are hardly likeable. They made a mistake in using deadly force to quell the protest, and any other government could have made that mistake. How how about simply apologising and let everybody move on?

The government is in denial and taking Nigerians for a ride, insulting their intelligence in the process. That's why people are reacting the way they are.

94 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Approaches UK Over Proposed #endsars Sanctions. by helinues: 11:47am On Nov 26, 2020
GreyLaw:

Buhari and his appointees are hardly likeable. They made a mistake in using deadly force to quell the protest, and any other government could have made that mistake. How how about simply apologising and let everybody move on?

The government is in denial and taking Nigerians for a ride, insulting their intelligence in the process. That's why people are reacting the way they are.

Apologize?

Has SARS not been disbanded? What was the further protest for?

So Lagos State first declared curfew at 4pm on the day of Lekki event, but considering those that would be caught unaware, it was moved to 9pm.

According to the report, the army arrived at the scene at 7: 45pm when the protesters was just about to start their party.

Does it mean they were ready to defy the curfew declared if not for the army intervention?

10 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Nigeria Approaches UK Over Proposed #endsars Sanctions. by kunle75(m): 11:50am On Nov 26, 2020
Jashub:
I wonder o. But on a more sincere note, I look forward to the UK giving sanctions to our politicians. At least it will put them in a position to admit they messed up big time.

i just hope too

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Approaches UK Over Proposed #endsars Sanctions. by GreyLaw(m): 11:54am On Nov 26, 2020
helinues:

Apologize?

So Lagos State first declared curfew at 4pm on the day of Lekki event, but considering those that would be caught unaware, it was moved to 9pm.

According to the report, the army arrived at the scene at 7: 45pm when the protesters was just about to start their party.

Does it mean they were ready to defy the curfew declared if not for the army intervention?

See, I don't think anybody in this country really wants trouble. If Nigerians are truly troublesome, giving the poor state of governance and the economy, people would have gone berserk with riots and all that.

No matter how hard the government tries to hide, the truth is that there was some form of violence meted out to the protesters. Sanwo Olu said 2 people died. People are angry and Nigerians are feeling insulted and exploited without any consequence.

The place the military went to was Lekki, the most peaceful area of the protest. They had no business going there. Places like Orile and others where there were touts destroying things were the places the soldiers should have gone. Now, in the light of all this, the government could have issued an apology to assuage the anger of the citizens. Remember nobody will be in government forever.

"A soft answer turneth away wrath", so says the Bible.

113 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Nigeria Approaches UK Over Proposed #endsars Sanctions. by helinues: 11:56am On Nov 26, 2020
GreyLaw:

See, I don't think anybody in this country really wants trouble. If Nigerians are truly troublesome, giving the poor state of governance and the economy, people would have gone berserk with riots and all that.

No matter how hard the government tries to hide, the truth is that there was some form of violence meted out to the protesters. Sanwo Olu said 2 people died. People are angry and Nigerians are feeling insulted and exploited without any consequence.

The place the military went to was Lekki, the most peaceful area of the protest. They had no business going there. Places like Orile and others where there were touts destroying things were the places the soldiers should have gone. Now, in the light of all this, the government could have issued an apology to assuage the anger of the citizens. Remember nobody will be in government forever.

"A soft answer turneth away wrath", so says the Bible.

Even before the intervention of army, the protesters were already infringing on the right of other Nigerians.

I blamed FG for not proactive on the protesters immediately SARS was disbanded.. Even Trump had to send Federal troops to quench the BLM protest

7 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigeria Approaches UK Over Proposed #endsars Sanctions. by theenchanter: 12:08pm On Nov 26, 2020
helinues:

Apologize?

stop defending ineptitude.

102 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Approaches UK Over Proposed #endsars Sanctions. by naijadrivablog: 12:09pm On Nov 26, 2020
Hmmm. Wahala for who dem go sanction.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Approaches UK Over Proposed #endsars Sanctions. by GreyLaw(m): 12:13pm On Nov 26, 2020
helinues:

Even before the intervention of army, the protesters were already infringing on the right of other Nigerians.

I blamed FG for not proactive on the protesters immediately SARS was disbanded.. Even Trump had to send Federal troops to quench the BLM protest

It took a lot of pressure before Trump could send those troops. In fact, Trump fired the General who had been resisting it. Trump wanted to bring some of the troops home from Afghanistan and that same General was hindering it.

As for the BLM protest, the troops dared not shoot anybody. Police can shoot but never at unarmed protesters, never. If the troops ever tried that on American soil and at unarmed, peaceful protesters, Trump would be roasted upside down in a fire. I understand American politics quite well.

Jonathan sent troops during Subsidy protest, but what they did was to come early in the morning and occupy the protest ground before the protesters came. That effectively ended the protest.

The government wasn't proactive as you said, and they did wrong sending those soldiers. Anti-riot policemen with rubber bullets, plenty of tear gas and hot water would have chased all those protesters away without breaking a sweat.

77 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Approaches UK Over Proposed #endsars Sanctions. by dejol88: 12:24pm On Nov 26, 2020
GreyLaw:

It took a lot of pressure before Trump could send those troops. In fact, Trump fired the General who has been resisting it. Trump wants to bring some of the troops home from Afghanistan and that same General has been hindering it.

As for the BLM protest, the troops dared not shoot anybody. Police can shoot but never at unarmed protesters, never. If the troops ever tried that on American soil and on unarmed, peaceful protesters, Trump would be roasted upside down in a fire. I understand American politics quite well.

Jonathan sent troops during Subsidy protest, but what they did was to come early in the morning and occupy the protest ground before the protesters came. That effectively ended the protest.

The government wasn't proactive as you said, and they did wrong sending those soldiers. Anti-riot policemen with rubber bullets, plenty of tear gas and hot water would have chased all those protesters away without breaking a sweat.

Let me tell you the truth, no matter how much you try to teach Nigerians how things is done , they will still argue blindly.

Bad education is worst than no education

My brother give up the explanation and watch from the stands.

Nigeria is irredeemable!

91 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigeria Approaches UK Over Proposed #endsars Sanctions. by Fahdiga(m): 12:29pm On Nov 26, 2020
I thought Lai Muhammed said they are not panicking over UK sanctions

21 Likes

Re: Nigeria Approaches UK Over Proposed #endsars Sanctions. by helinues: 12:32pm On Nov 26, 2020
GreyLaw:

It took a lot of pressure before Trump could send those troops. In fact, Trump fired the General who has been resisting it. Trump wants to bring some of the troops home from Afghanistan and that same General has been hindering it.

As for the BLM protest, the troops dared not shoot anybody. Police can shoot but never at unarmed protesters, never. If the troops ever tried that on American soil and on unarmed, peaceful protesters, Trump would be roasted upside down in a fire. I understand American politics quite well.

Don't ever compared Subsidy protest with ENDSARS protest... Even upon how organised the subsidy protest was ( Organised by Cambridge Analytical on behalf of the then opposition) , there was still some deaths and casualities..

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Approaches UK Over Proposed #endsars Sanctions. by Charmingrascal(m): 12:36pm On Nov 26, 2020
theenchanter:

https://m.guardian.ng/news/nigeria-approaches-uk-over-proposed-endsars-sanctions/

Lalasticlala, mynd44.

I thought Lie Mohammed was making mouth and blabbing.

Lie Mohammed tells lies for a living I wonder what is children say to him anytime they see him lie on TV.

17 Likes

Re: Nigeria Approaches UK Over Proposed #endsars Sanctions. by GreyLaw(m): 12:44pm On Nov 26, 2020
dejol88:

Let me tell you the truth, no matter how much you try to teach Nigerians how things is done , they will still argue blindly.

Bad education is worst than no education

My brother give up the explanation and watch from the stands.

Nigeria is irredeemable!

Thanks a lot. I try so hard to ignore some of the comments here but sometimes I am forced to comment. Again thanks for the reminder. Let me just face my own life.

44 Likes

Re: Nigeria Approaches UK Over Proposed #endsars Sanctions. by kambili999(f): 12:48pm On Nov 26, 2020
UK should be fast and ban politicians ad their families.

Serves them right

18 Likes

Re: Nigeria Approaches UK Over Proposed #endsars Sanctions. by Factfinder1(m): 12:49pm On Nov 26, 2020
They are going to beg not to be given visa bans and restrictions into the UK, if na so una like UK tech why una no fit make Nigeria develop and sane enough for every Nigerian This politicians are only quick to fight for what affects them the sufferings of the poor masses no concern them at all

22 Likes

Re: Nigeria Approaches UK Over Proposed #endsars Sanctions. by tyup(m): 12:49pm On Nov 26, 2020
shocked

In any sanction to be given, I think Lai Mohammed should have 3x of it including those ragtags on here saying twas faked and kept hitting at DJ switch. thank you

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Approaches UK Over Proposed #endsars Sanctions. by Racoon(m): 12:49pm On Nov 26, 2020
What does a lying and oppressive government wants to tell a nation like the UK?

22 Likes

Re: Nigeria Approaches UK Over Proposed #endsars Sanctions. by Lexusgs430: 12:50pm On Nov 26, 2020
Buhari MUST be banned from travelling to the UK....... cheesy

He must only attend hospitals in Nigeria..... Let's watch him die slowly.......

22 Likes

Re: Nigeria Approaches UK Over Proposed #endsars Sanctions. by Nobody: 12:50pm On Nov 26, 2020
I call on the all the European nations ,Asians and Americans to impose sanctions against indicted officials of the Buhari administration for human rights violations ....let all this Europeans,American and Asian not allow any APc government official enter their country again especially buhari, amen. �

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Approaches UK Over Proposed #endsars Sanctions. by PigTormentor: 12:50pm On Nov 26, 2020
Nigeria Is just too gullible under Buhari.
Sometimes you just have to tell these countries to FVCK off.

They respect you more when you call their bluffs than trying to satisfy them all thr time.

Pathetic and sad.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Approaches UK Over Proposed #endsars Sanctions. by tot(f): 12:50pm On Nov 26, 2020
Hahahaha.
Small debate, they are already shaking in their boots. If truly NOTHING happened, they should have nothing to fear, right?

10 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Five Boko Haram Suicide Bombers Blow Themselves Near Maiduguri (graphics Photos) / The Clapback Reno Omokri Gave To A Follower Who Dragged Him / Acting Accountant-General Chukwuyere Anamekwe Replaced

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.