Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,945 members, 7,821,317 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:18 AM

Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo - Culture (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo (58283 Views)

Ibo Word That Mean The Same In Edo / Check Out This Yoruba Words For A Glutton / Every Word In Ancient Hebrew Torah Are in Yoruba words; sample GEN 9 ver 21-24 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by gregyboy(m): 4:38pm On Dec 08, 2020
VirginFinder:

So Oranmiyan did not got to Benin again abi No more Oduduwa is originally Ekaladerhan from Benin... smiley smiley smiley

So Eweka dropped from the sky So 'Oba' came from where

Wherever you hear 'loooonatic', just say 'yes!'

Whether you like it or not, Oranmiyan influence is all over Edo till tomorrow...

Why not prove to me with archeological evidence with written recirds that span from 1890 below
With prove oyo and ife had some ancestral contact
Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by lascos912(m): 4:39pm On Dec 08, 2020
Even though I'm Yoruba but I think Igbo language is far better than our language and I urge every Yoruba person to learn Igbo
you dey craze, e no go better for your

bastard
Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by Nobody: 4:45pm On Dec 08, 2020
VirginFinder:

Oduduwa is definitely from the Middle East. Ditto all Yorubas.

There are many arabic words in Yoruba - Alejo, Alubarika, Adura, Alubosa, Bukata etc

There was no Oba in Benin until Oranmiyan came over.

Bullshit,It is normal to borrow words,phrases from other languages

The culture,idol worshipping is that from Mecca too....

Does the middle Eastern serve olokun,sango etc too undecided

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by Balogunodua(m): 4:46pm On Dec 08, 2020
Nikiballer:

Is your great great great grand daddy from Mecca or he fell from the sky

If he is from Mecca and is brothers to bayajidda the Hausa folks,how come your cultures are not similar to the Hausas and you don't speak Arabic...

Don't see me as a tribalist,I just wanted to let you know oduduwa is from Benin and that is why our cultures are similar and not because "ODUDUWA is from Mecca"

Oya prove me wrong...

*Tik tok tik"

From the custodians of the Ogiso tradition, one of the oldest families in Igodomigodo/Benin, The Ogiamien Family, have declared:
1) Obas of Benin are tenants while Ogiamiens are Landlords as evidenced by Ekiopa treaty
2) Oduduwa had no link with Ogisos
3) The tittle Oba, was forced on Binis by Oranmiyan
4) That the Obas of Benin are historically from Ife.

Who could have more facts than the Aborigenes who are descendants of the Ogisos, the Ogiamien?

They also debunked the Ekalerdahan fabrication as an attempt to hide the origin of the Obas, and confirmed Ife as older than Benin. Pls read it up yourself.

What is Oduduwa in Edo language?

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by Balogunodua(m): 4:48pm On Dec 08, 2020
gregyboy:

Why not prove to me with archeological evidence with written recirds that span from 1890 below

grin grin are you still around...
Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by Balogunodua(m): 4:48pm On Dec 08, 2020
gregyboy:

Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by gregyboy(m): 4:53pm On Dec 08, 2020
Balogunodua:

Ooh you report me for a ban now i see my enemies

My good ancestors who overseas me here in earth would never allow the evil plans from the yorubas befall me

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by Balogunodua(m): 4:54pm On Dec 08, 2020
gregyboy:

You're madman for that

Can you prove the credibility that ife and oyo had connections in historical past

All this bs stories were writing in the 1900 to politically unite tribes under one ancestory

Oromiyan coming to benin was a big lie, if you want to dubt me bring any record of it from 1897 below......

You will see that there is non and that oromiyan history was made during when benin was still in the western region just to unite benin with the dominant yoruba tribe....
Benin accepted the offer but when it backfired they requested out from western region
When they succeeded they wrote their own myth saying the yoruba oduduwa was from ife, that was the benin counter history

Wise up, dont let the political chess game fool you

Use the last picture to cool your brain
And the Benin counter history was a fluke that has been debunked 5000 times on this forum right..... grin

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by Balogunodua(m): 4:57pm On Dec 08, 2020
gregyboy:

Ooh you report me for a ban now i see my enemies

My good ancestors who overseas me here in earth would never allow the evil plans from the yorubas befall me
Me... report you cheesy since when have been on nairaland, I have never reported any for a ban and you won't be my first...so chill grin
Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by gregyboy(m): 5:00pm On Dec 08, 2020
Everyone should visit my thread on my profile to get the truth behind the political myth of oduduwa in benin
Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by Erojepromise(f): 5:02pm On Dec 08, 2020
VirginFinder:
Yorubas and Edos are 2 different peoples.

However, Oranmiyan and his entourage from Ife left an indelible mark in Edo till tomorrow.

That's the source/cause of all these...

Edos will NEVER stop bearing Yoruba names and worshipping Yoruba deities...
look oranmiyan is from an Edo father the one yorubas call oduduwa who was an Edo prince exiled from the ogiso lineage his name was Ekalardehan , from his sojourn he changed his name to izoduwa found his way to ile if and became known as oduduwa there.
a l between chiefs threatened the unity of the kingdom and a search party went looking for the exiled king to rule them, got to ile Ife , found the banished prince but he was too old to rule as a result gave them his son oranmiyan who followed them but still couldn't make an impact in ruling the kingdom as his arrival was met with stiff opposition by a chief .......
He (oranmiyan) got married in bini and gave birth to a dumb son , after a while oranmiyan got tired of the strife and troubles of the Edo people and called the land of Edo "ile ibinu" which means home of anger with reference to the difficulty in ruling the kingdom...
in summary; languages in Nigeria amongst tribes inter connect/ relate ....
Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by Alaska90(m): 5:06pm On Dec 08, 2020
OsamaB:

First of all, Yoruba is originally in reference to the Oyo empire and it was the name Hausa people called them (i.e. Oyoruba). Meaning an Ijebu man is Ijebu and Egba people are Egba.

Second of all, Edo was another empire and empires can comprise of different tribe of people who may not be the same. So, even the Benin empire of today can never lay claim of Ekiti or Ondo, even though they were part of the Benin empire. Even Bini and Esan people are different but know they have a history.

Third, the idea of calling people bastards to claim superiority is very weak. The British dismantled the empires and the Nigerian government cancelled history but that doesn't give you the right to insult people who you don't know.

Please I am sorry you are spreading false narrative on internet

The places you mentioned were never under Benin empire at anytime in history

And if you think otherwise, please can give references so that I can learn more

There is a different between influence and being under an empire
Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by VirginFinder: 5:09pm On Dec 08, 2020
gregyboy:

Eweka was the man who organized benin and formed a monarchy government he was crowned oba of benin

The word ile binu is from itsekiris who described the edo people as angry people to the Portuguese who first meant them at the shores

If you notice it is only Portuguese who called us benin throughout history even the itsekiris called us ado, the other neighbors called us idu and other forms of the word edo

Itsekiris only describes us as ile binu(land of anger) to the Portuguese as a way of warning to the Portuguese to aviod edo

You can thank me later for opening your eyes

Nonsense! Ile Ibinu is a Yoruba statement. Even Itsekiris will shudder at your anus-inspired version of Benin history... smiley

Eweka was Oranmiyan from Ife's son. He was the first 'Oba of Benin'. Nobody can dispute that.

I don't care how he reigned or what he did.

Oranmiyan and his entourage from Ife created the Yoruba influence in Benin forever.

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by VirginFinder: 5:12pm On Dec 08, 2020
gregyboy:

Archeological evidence scatter your head there... smiley

What concerns you with Oyo and Ife We are talking Ife and Benin here. There was no Oba in Benin until Oranmiyan came over. Or where did the Binis get their Oba from

What more evidence do you need
Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by gregyboy(m): 5:13pm On Dec 08, 2020
VirginFinder:

Nonsense! Ile Ibinu is a Yoruba statement. Even Itsekiris will shudder at your anus-inspired version of Benin history... smiley

Eweka was Oranmiyan from Ife's son. He was the first 'Oba of Benin'. Nobody can dispute that.

I don't care how he reigned or what he did.

Oranmiyan and his entourage from Ife created the Yoruba influence in Benin forever.

Then i have no choice than to punish with my assignment when any yoruba prove too stubborn

I want you to bring me any archeological finds or written records from European which attested to benin-ife relationships from 15c to 1897 when the benin empire fell, if you can do that then my account will be putto shame
Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by VirginFinder: 5:16pm On Dec 08, 2020
Nikiballer:

Bullshit,It is normal to borrow words,phrases from other languages

The culture,idol worshipping is that from Mecca too....

Does the middle Eastern serve olokun,sango etc too undecided

Yorubas were expelled from the middle east for being into paganism. So we brought those things with us.

Edo/Benin was influenced by Oranmiyan and his entourage from Ife. Nothing was borrowed here.

It is common to see Edos bear Yoruba names, do you see Yorubas bearing Edo names
Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by tayolove12(m): 5:18pm On Dec 08, 2020
Even though I'm Yoruba but I think Igbo language is far better than our language and I urge every Yoruba person to learn Igbo

Type of weed you dey smoke please try and adjust grin grin grin
Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by VirginFinder: 5:18pm On Dec 08, 2020
gregyboy:

Then i have no choice than to punish with my assignment when any yoruba prove too stubborn

I want you to bring me any archeological finds or written records from European which attested to benin-ife relationships from 15c to 1897 when the benin empire fell, if you can do that then my account will be putto shame

You are entitled to your own opinion cum version of history. It does not change anything.

Every Oba of Benin must find a way to visit Ife after his coronation. Go figure!

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by Alaska90(m): 5:18pm On Dec 08, 2020
Etrusen:

what about common kingdom

What is your point?

Yoruba people are independent and were living in different kingdoms with Ife Kingdom as an ancestral home for everybody.

But Oyo Empire because of its military might ( especially its Calvary army unit) wanted to bring everybody under one empire but some refused and fought Oyo back.

But actually this topic was about similar words in Yoruba and Edo languages....why all the history?
Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by imagrg(m): 5:19pm On Dec 08, 2020
The problem with Nigerians is that, outside corruption, they are too tribal conscious no matter how educated they are. Just imagine the tribal war on this thread!
Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by VirginFinder: 5:20pm On Dec 08, 2020
Erojepromise:

look oranmiyan is from an Edo father the one yorubas call oduduwa who was an Edo prince exiled from the ogiso lineage his name was Ekalardehan , from his sojourn he changed his name to izoduwa found his way to ile if and became known as oduduwa there.
a l between chiefs threatened the unity of the kingdom and a search party went looking for the exiled king to rule them, got to ile Ife , found the banished prince but he was too old to rule as a result gave them his son oranmiyan who followed them but still couldn't make an impact in ruling the kingdom as his arrival was met with stiff opposition by a chief .......
He (oranmiyan) got married in bini and gave birth to a dumb son , after a while oranmiyan got tired of the strife and troubles of the Edo people and called the land of Edo "ile ibinu" which means home of anger with reference to the difficulty in ruling the kingdom...
in summary; languages in Nigeria amongst tribes inter connect/ relate ....

Madam, what both Yorubas and Edos agree on is that - Oranmiyan is a prince from Ife who went to Benin to establish the current Obaship dynasty. He was not even Oduduwa's direct son but his grandson.

Let's stick to that... smiley

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by Peppysco: 5:23pm On Dec 08, 2020

Impostor

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by Etinosa123456: 5:24pm On Dec 08, 2020
Balogunodua:

From the custodians of the Ogiso tradition, one of the oldest families in Igodomigodo/Benin, The Ogiamien Family, have declared:
1) Obas of Benin are tenants while Ogiamiens are Landlords as evidenced by Ekiopa treaty
2) Oduduwa had no link with Ogisos
3) The tittle Oba, was forced on Binis by Oranmiyan
4) That the Obas of Benin are historically from Ife.

Who could have more facts than the Aborigenes who are descendants of the Ogisos, the Ogiamien?

They also debunked the Ekalerdahan fabrication as an attempt to hide the origin of the Obas, and confirmed Ife as older than Benin. Pls read it up yourself.

What is Oduduwa in Edo language?
U mean this same Ogiamen family that are begging the oba Not to punish them?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jl1uLYnFZLA

Cc: gregyboy Etrusen samuk Nikiballer

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by OsamaB: 5:25pm On Dec 08, 2020
Alaska90:

Please I am sorry you are spreading false narrative on internet

The places you mentioned were never under Benin empire at anytime in history

And if you think otherwise, please can give references so that I can learn more

There is a different between influence and being under an empire

I have attached a map re-Re-Drawing Historical Maps of the Bight of Benin Hinterland, c. 1580.

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by Nobody: 5:30pm On Dec 08, 2020
VirginFinder:

Yorubas were expelled from the middle east for being into paganism. So we brought those things with us.

Edo/Benin was influenced by Oranmiyan and his entourage from Ife. Nothing was borrowed here.

It is common to see Edos bear Yoruba names, do you see Yorubas bearing Edo names

Na this bring/start the quarrel for this thread...saying Edo use/bear/copy your names..

Mention those names
Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by Peppysco: 5:33pm On Dec 08, 2020
So says a Mallam from Damaturu who have never been to my tribe Yoruba land

The fact that you're desperately trying to prove that you're Yoruba makes you a dumbo
Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by Etinosa123456: 5:45pm On Dec 08, 2020
VirginFinder:

I've seen an ekiti boy bearing osadolor

I've seen an Ibadan boy bearing Osazuwa...

All of una must always see.. una nor go ask the person wey dey bear the name the reason... Una go just come online to conclude nonsense

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by Erojepromise(f): 5:47pm On Dec 08, 2020
Madam, what both Yorubas and Edos agree on is that - Oranmiyan is a prince from Ife who went to Benin to establish the current Obaship dynasty. He was not even Oduduwa's direct son but his grandson.

Let's stick to that... smiley[/quote]
nope oranmiyan father is ozoduwa an edo man , and we all know you paternal side determines your tribe but l would like to think of it as a a inter marriage of ozoduwa to a Yoruba woman.talking about the obaship dynasty it was oranmiyan son that established that when he went to Benin to rule on behalf of his father, his son was birthed to him by an Edo woman and born dumb. it was after his father left that he spoke and became the crowned prince..
Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by Iamgrey5(m): 5:58pm On Dec 08, 2020
OsamaB:

I have attached a map re-Re-Drawing Historical Maps of the Bight of Benin Hinterland, c. 1580.
This map is absolutely a fiction of imagination of someone and inaccurate

The Ado had not arrived Lagos at that time

Ilaje was never under Benin empire rule at any point in its history.

And Oyo ruled over Ketu and Abadomey at that time.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by Iamgrey5(m): 6:02pm On Dec 08, 2020
Etinosa123456:

All of una must always see.. una nor go ask the person wey dey bear the name the reason... Una go just come online to conclude nonsense
Ibadan don't bear Osazuma

Common Ibadan are Ogun (Ogundipe, Ogunmola, Ogunsote etc) Ode(Aboderin) and Balogun

Some may change their surname down the line due to intermarrige but we never bear Osazunwa.

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by VirginFinder: 6:06pm On Dec 08, 2020
Etinosa123456:

They must have an Edo parent/grandparent. I have them as family. Their grandmum is Bini.

But pure modern-day Edos do bear Yoruba names without having any close Yoruba ties...

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by VirginFinder: 6:09pm On Dec 08, 2020
Nikiballer:

Na this bring/start the quarrel for this thread...saying Edo use/bear/copy your names..

Mention those names

Modupe Ozolua

Toyin Aimakhu

Yinka Omorogbe (Edo commissioner)

Taiwo Akerele (Obaseki's former COS)

Olumide Akpata

Emmanuel Agbaje (Edo House of Assembly)

And many more... cheesy

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Ooni Of Ife Steps Out With His Father (Photos) / Hilarious Quotes In Igbo Language / Ooni Of Ife's Wives As They Prepare To Bury Their Husband (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.