Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,227 members, 7,818,771 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:53 AM

Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo - Culture (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo (58192 Views)

Ibo Word That Mean The Same In Edo / Check Out This Yoruba Words For A Glutton / Every Word In Ancient Hebrew Torah Are in Yoruba words; sample GEN 9 ver 21-24 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by Nobody: 6:15pm On Dec 08, 2020
VirginFinder:

Modupe Ozolua

Toyin Aimakhu

Yinka Omorogbe (Edo commissioner)

Taiwo Akerele (Obaseki's former COS)

Olumide Akpata

Emmanuel Agbaje (Edo House of Assembly)

And many more... cheesy

Guy you suppose smart pass this na undecided

This are people from inter tribe parents na

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by Alaska90(m): 6:18pm On Dec 08, 2020
OsamaB:

I have attached a map re-Re-Drawing Historical Maps of the Bight of Benin Hinterland, c. 1580.

I told you to differentiate between influence and being under empire

There is nothing in history both written and oral to suggest that Benin was directly ruling these places in this map

They influenced many place for example Owo culture of beads
Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by Nobody: 6:19pm On Dec 08, 2020
VirginFinder:

They must have an Edo parent/grandparent. I have them as family. Their grandmum is Bini.

But pure modern-day Edos do bear Yoruba names without having any close Yoruba ties...

Rubbish

Davido no give him pikin ifeanyi....
Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by VirginFinder: 6:22pm On Dec 08, 2020
Nikiballer:

Rubbish

Davido no give him pikin ifeanyi....

Otondo! Ifeanyi mama no be Ibo
Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by VirginFinder: 6:23pm On Dec 08, 2020
Nikiballer:

Guy you suppose smart pass this na undecided

This are people from inter tribe parents na

No they are not!
Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by Nobody: 6:26pm On Dec 08, 2020
VirginFinder:

No they are not!

How you take know,na dem tell you....

No dey bobo us for here
Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by benji93: 6:32pm On Dec 08, 2020
Etinosa12345:

Ado is in the dictionary and it doesn't mean settlement...

Settlement means ibugbe in Yoruba

When oba ado was born in Benin,... And his original name was Edo... Goan do ur research.. it was when he came to Lagos that he was called Ado

Coincidentally, these are the places Benin had more influence in

Since there is no known origin for the word Ado but there is for Edo... What impetus do u have that still makes u think that Yoruba gave the word Ado to Benin?

Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by Ideadoctor(m): 6:36pm On Dec 08, 2020
Nikiballer:

Common grin....Yoruba Muslim view about your "oduduwa" is different from the traditionalist and idol worshippers,Una great great father's no even gather head together to tell you lots Una history well grin,I have evidences to prove this....

If your oduduwa is from Mecca and Saudi Arabia,how come Una no be core Muslims and have similar things in common to HAUSA who is believed to be brothers of bayajidda and come from the same Mecca than us BENIN....

If oduduwa is from Mecca,your CULTURE SHOULD BE SIMILAR TO HAUSAS AND THE ARABS THAN THE EDO PEOPLE
Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by Ideadoctor(m): 6:37pm On Dec 08, 2020
I don't believe the oduduwa mecca origin stuff, he may have migrated northward
Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by Ideadoctor(m): 6:44pm On Dec 08, 2020
Nikiballer:

Oduduwa is from middle East and Saudi Arabia,your culture should be similar to the HAUSAS and Arabs than Benin...hope you get?
Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by Ideadoctor(m): 6:48pm On Dec 08, 2020
tell that to the Yoruba Muslims, as far as I am concerned oduduwa started a sophisticated civilization in ife,it was these that made your Edo people to demand for an oduduwa seed as their king as their own Kings were very corrupt and useless

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by Ideadoctor(m): 6:49pm On Dec 08, 2020
gregyboy:

Would you keep quite with your oromiyan myth
Can you even prove oromiyan was from ife not to say him coming to benin

Would you stop indulging in mythical fallacy as history

Do you want me to show you old documents on benin history of oba dynasty which does not support any oromiyan or ife whatsoever

Ife, this and ife that

Nonsense
Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by Etrusen(m): 6:53pm On Dec 08, 2020
Alaska90:

What is your point?

Yoruba people are independent and were living in different kingdoms with Ife Kingdom as an ancestral home for everybody.

But Oyo Empire because of its military might ( especially its Calvary army unit) wanted to bring everybody under one empire but some refused and fought Oyo back.

But actually this topic was about similar words in Yoruba and Edo languages....why all the history?

my question is that

did Yoruba even unite as one kingdom ?

if yes, what caused community war among Yorubas in olden days?
Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by Ideadoctor(m): 6:53pm On Dec 08, 2020
kolorun maje ki ori e pada lana, Alaya go drink water you too dey vomit nonsense, you are confused and benighted with Edo folklores told by the bias ones,anytime any day, any how, any where, Yorubas are your father

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by Etinosa123456: 6:55pm On Dec 08, 2020
VirginFinder:

They must have an Edo parent/grandparent. I have them as family. Their grandmum is Bini.

But pure modern-day Edos do bear Yoruba names without having any close Yoruba ties...
How did u know... Did u ask them...

There is a small population of Yoruba basically in Akoko Edo.. dat doesn't mean Edos are yorubas. Maybe its dose one u've been relating with.. not the Benin, esan, etsakk
Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by Ideadoctor(m): 6:59pm On Dec 08, 2020
Etrusen:

what about common kingdom
Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by Ideadoctor(m): 7:01pm On Dec 08, 2020
yorubas are too great to have a common kingdom, but one kingdom outgrew the others in strength, that was the Oyo empire
Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by gregyboy(m): 7:07pm On Dec 08, 2020
VirginFinder:

You are entitled to your own opinion cum version of history. It does not change anything.

Every Oba of Benin must find a way to visit Ife after his coronation. Go figure!

I thought your next response will be the evidence
Dont waste your response on me if its not what i need

Oba visiting the sultan of sokoto now means the sultan birthed the obaship

Just go, go and digest the truth, your super ego will humbled with time

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by Ustec: 7:08pm On Dec 08, 2020
Etinosa12345:

Its called omomo in Benin ... Not omo

I've never heard of ugbo used in Yoruba... Its always igbo

This is wrong... Erha is used as father in Edo not Yoruba

Iye and yeye are not the same that it can be corrupted
It could be that due to the influence of Benin in the eastern Yoruba states, that was how the word yeye entered the Yoruba vocabulary

In Igbo ,its called Onu

I don't know the meaning of the rest...
Cc: Etrusen
Have you visited ado-ekiti before?
There lies your answers.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by Etinosa123456: 7:09pm On Dec 08, 2020
VirginFinder:

Modupe Ozolua

Toyin Aimakhu

Yinka Omorogbe (Edo commissioner)

Taiwo Akerele (Obaseki's former COS)

Olumide Akpata

Emmanuel Agbaje (Edo House of Assembly)

And many more... cheesy
Modupe mother is from Akoko Edo(the region that have the highest number of Yoruba in Edo)
Toyin aimakhu is from auchi... There they've mixed with other cultures well and they are not even Benin... Even Aisha yesufy who is thought to be Hausa is from auchi
Yinka omorogbe mother was a child of one of the numerous Yoruba slaves that were returned back to Africa
Taiwo is from Akoko Edo in igarra
Olumide Akpata never said he was from Edo... He was born there
Emmanuel Agbaje represents akoko Edo...

All u've mentioned have direct relations with Yoruba people.. hence the Yoruba names

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by Etinosa123456: 7:12pm On Dec 08, 2020
Ustec:

Have you visited ado-ekiti before?
There lies your answers.

If u've read abt Ado ekiti.. u'll know how they started using the word yeye
Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by Etinosa123456: 7:13pm On Dec 08, 2020
Iamgrey5:
Ibadan don't bear Osazuma

Common Ibadan are Ogun (Ogundipe, Ogunmola, Ogunsote etc) Ode(Aboderin) and Balogun

Some may change their surname down the line due to intermarrige but we never bear Osazunwa.

Well I've seen Sha... The same way u guys always see edo bearing Yoruba name without knowing the circumstances
Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by Ustec: 7:38pm On Dec 08, 2020
Etinosa12345:

Indeed but... Why should we believe u?

Were u present in the year 900AD?

If u were, what's the difference in the language of the Benin in 900AD and the one of 2020?
Do you know that the head of every dead Benin king is buried in ile ife, Do your research.
Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by TAO11(f): 7:41pm On Dec 08, 2020
Etrusen:
[s]my question is that

did Yoruba even unite as one kingdom ?

if yes, what caused community war among Yorubas in olden days?[/s]
A dumb question as is to be expected.

Monarchy is homegrown in Yorubaland. We are princes and princesses. We have an interrelated system of kingdomS, not just one simplistic kingdom.

The actual issue you should really be pondering is as follows:

Benin Kingdom is only one simplistic kingdom, yet it fought a 32 year long war against itself from 1689 to 1721

In fact, during this war against itself, Benin city was grounded, sacked and reduced to a mere village.

cc: Alaska90, VirginFinder, Ideadoctor, Ustec

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by Ustec: 7:46pm On Dec 08, 2020
Etinosa123456:

If u've read abt Ado ekiti.. u'll know how they started using the word yeye
undecided
Ogbeni, Go to ado-ekiti and hear things for yourself.
Benin's are Yorubas just like ondo people.
Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by oluakin08: 7:51pm On Dec 08, 2020
Even though I'm Yoruba but I think Igbo language is far better than our language and I urge every Yoruba person to learn Igbo
. for ur mind now, u don talk abi?
Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by Ideadoctor(m): 8:05pm On Dec 08, 2020
lascos912:
you dey craze, e no go better for your
bastard
Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by ORIAYO70(m): 8:06pm On Dec 08, 2020
Even though I'm Yoruba but I think Igbo language is far better than our language and I urge every Yoruba person to learn Igbo

Xenocentrism is killing you....
Nothing his as adequate as Yoruba

We have words n proverb for everything

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by Ideadoctor(m): 8:07pm On Dec 08, 2020
you are not a Yoruba, only a Yoruba wannabe
Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by Ideadoctor(m): 8:11pm On Dec 08, 2020
TAO11:
A dumb question as is to be expected.

Monarchy is homegrown in Yorubaland. We are princes and princesses. We have an interrelated system of kingdomS, not just one simplistic kingdom.

The actual issue you should really be pondering is as follows:

Benin Kingdom is one simplistic kingdom, yet it fought a 22 year long war against itself from 1699 to 1721

In fact, this war against itself caused Benin city to be grounded, deserted and reduced to a mere village.

cc: Alaska90, VirginFinder, Ideadoctor, Ustec
Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by ORIAYO70(m): 8:14pm On Dec 08, 2020

Xenocentrism is killing you
Re: Yoruba Words That Mean The Same In Edo by Ideadoctor(m): 8:17pm On Dec 08, 2020
Tao112 you always ginger me with the way you break up the mouth of these fucking liars and rebels with facts and evidence,walahi I respect you, am always lazy at typing, and citing source,but these two things you do and you do them well,kudos

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

Groomsmen In Igbo Traditional Attire Will Make Ladies Drool (pictures) / Only The Ooni Of Ife Can Inherit The Late Ooni’s Widows Says Tradition(pictures) / Ooni Ogunwusi Wedding Invitation & Details,To Marry Wuraola Obanor Next Saturday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.