Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,461 members, 7,816,081 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:09 AM

How Long Did It Take You To Get A Job After You Graduated From The University? - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Long Did It Take You To Get A Job After You Graduated From The University? (29620 Views)

UK Nigerian Man Reportedly Lost His Job After His Female Compatriot Report Him / Woman Loses Her Corporate Job After Revealing How Many People She's Slept With / Man Loses Job After Telling Boss Over Phone His Mum Is An Illiterate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Job After You Graduated From The University? by 7victor(m): 3:28pm On Dec 08, 2020
arsenal444:
Na dat one dem ask u?

You know when I was typing, I suddenly remembered that other one also.

I believed that I recalled it so I could share it.

I tried not to share it but I found out that I had already started writing about it.
Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Job After You Graduated From The University? by Fkforyou(m): 3:29pm On Dec 08, 2020
Including sevice year, A year and 5 months.

Excluding service year 5 months.
Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Job After You Graduated From The University? by 7victor(m): 3:30pm On Dec 08, 2020
Seyzcham91:
Glory be to God and thank God for your life, i'm happy for you

then a part i gotta talk about where you wrote "the ladies said you were the type every woman would wanna marry but your income is too small"

That statement alone already tell that those ones are gold digger bro. Thank God they left you quickly

Like i used to tell my fellow guys, beware of all these blood sucking Parasites masquerading as Ladies around street, city and Town Taking a relationship/marriage as some sort of burden relief institution

one can hardly get a lady that loves genuinely these days
Guys watch out anyway! me no kuku carry woman for head like dreadlock. i no even remember the last time i decided to call a lady, asking out or calling to come greet me cuz after everything na my pocket and account go suffer am so whats the fucking point?

Ok.
Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Job After You Graduated From The University? by 7victor(m): 3:31pm On Dec 08, 2020
saasala:

There was actually no need telling us about the ladies who called you from Nairaland as it has nothing to do with the topic. How long did you wait to get a job after graduation? Simple.

Okay sir.

Noted.

1 Like

Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Job After You Graduated From The University? by dubbiskelly(m): 3:31pm On Dec 08, 2020
Two months and I’ve switched up on jobs since den. God is indeed faithful

2 Likes

Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Job After You Graduated From The University? by 7victor(m): 3:33pm On Dec 08, 2020
free2ryhme:

Stop this nonsense. Must you post it on every page

This is the only thread I have posted it.

Because I saw this topic in Education and Carrer sections, I decided to post it in the two sections in case the op decides to delete one and focus on one section which he thinks is the best section for this thread.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Job After You Graduated From The University? by A305: 3:36pm On Dec 08, 2020
7victor:
Immediately I finished my NYSC in 2010,I was given an appointment letter to start working in a bank with a salary of N2,200,000 CTC which translated to about N183,000 per month.

I did the documentation in the bank but at the nick of starting the job fully, the job was stopped by CBN.

That is how I lost the opportunity.

I started teaching in private schools from 2011 to 2018.

During that time, I came to nairaland and wrote that I needed a tall,slim,dark, beautiful girl for marriage.

I wrote my number in case a lady wanted to call because I have discovered that I love a lady more if she is the one who first approach me for relationship.

If I first approach a lady, I can easily leave her without thinking twice.

But if she is the one that first comes to me, I use to find it hard to leave her and even if she leaves me, I use to find it hard to forget her.

That is my discovery about myself.

So I wanted a situation where I will be able to love my woman so much and hold onto her forever.

That was why I wanted a lady to first call me and indicate her interest in me.

So I wrote my number in case a lady would have the presence of mind to call me for marriage so that I could marry her.

Two girls actually called but when I wanted to get serious with them,they backed out because what I was earning in private schools was peanut.

Although they didn't just leave me suddenly, but they were playing hide and seek and didn't want to immediately get married.

They said I was the kind of man a woman would love to marry but that my income was too small.

These two girls were in their early twenties so they were not under pressure to marry.

They were still taking their time.

I said no problem.

Then last year,God answered my prayers and gave me a lecturing job.

So I waited 9 years after NYSC to get a lecturing job.

During those 9 years,I got a Master and I am currently running a PhD.

Glory be to God.
Oh Bob - I salute your level of patience.

In that 2011 - 2018: I had gone to the University, Graduated, Made a little bit of money, Got a car, Became relatively stable with cash flow and all the while, you were still teaching?!?!

Goodness. I hate Nigeria -- Nigeria is truly dysfunctional and a failed country for the youths.

4 Likes

Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Job After You Graduated From The University? by Waxxxy: 3:39pm On Dec 08, 2020
Three (3) months before the passing out parade(PoP) in a media house.
I give God the glory.

1 Like

Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Job After You Graduated From The University? by Monben: 3:41pm On Dec 08, 2020
God bless you for having integrity

SmartPolician:
I got the position of a filling station manager the same month I passed out. It was an NNPC affiliate

I quit after one year because I was too decent to be involved in lots of "dirty things" that I was compelled to do.

Today, I am my own boss

2 Likes

Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Job After You Graduated From The University? by ezechi24(m): 3:43pm On Dec 08, 2020
ecomalchemist:
What the fuccc is that hommie, there's nothing like a job in Nigeria.

After I left school, I started importing tech gadgets and I can comfortably say that I've created more employment opportunities that the federal government.

There's a lot of money in buying and selling if you have the right product. Don't dull.

If you sell a hot product of N5,000 to 2000 Nigerians, do the math !!!!

A job can only pay your bills, but youd be miserable after 35 years. Start a business now and use the internet to grow it.

Cheers !!!

please I don't know if u can teach me how to do this impartation stuff...helpna brother I'm willing to learn sir
Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Job After You Graduated From The University? by 7victor(m): 3:44pm On Dec 08, 2020
A305:
Oh Bob - I salute your level of patience.

In that 2011 - 2018: I had gone to the University, Graduated, Made a little bit of money, Got a car, Became relatively stable with cash flow and all the while, you were still teaching?!?!

Goodness. I hate Nigeria -- Nigeria is truly dysfunctional and a failed country for the youths.

Congratulations.

Although there are people who are also making it in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Job After You Graduated From The University? by ezechi24(m): 3:46pm On Dec 08, 2020
Chumachu:
I got a job before I graduated. Started working 4 days later because I wanted to rest. Started with 150k monthly. The rest is history.

baba if there's any slot I beg help me out...a chemical engineer
Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Job After You Graduated From The University? by AustineJohn908(m): 3:46pm On Dec 08, 2020
tegafej:
I graduated in 2016 2.1 Gas Engineering...

Started a teaching job in 2017 for few months in order to raise money for my Post graduate studies and then went for MSc in 2018.

Started my own engineering research consultancy firm last year and it's been growing at an exceeding speed.

God has been faithful...
Bro I like your own. I will like to be an employer of labour like you. that's my dream

1 Like

Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Job After You Graduated From The University? by Ibrocalculus(m): 3:49pm On Dec 08, 2020
Data for sale. Please patronize my business. Thank you
Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Job After You Graduated From The University? by Starz825(m): 3:53pm On Dec 08, 2020
who dey look for job again....
check my signature and earn every month...
or better still there is also a room for training....chat me up and your life will never remain the same
Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Job After You Graduated From The University? by daben1(m): 3:54pm On Dec 08, 2020
Kemight15:
A month

I was retained at my ppa immediately after my POP

Still there till now and they pay well too.

This happened because my late mother has always been praying for me not to seek for job before I see any. And God answered her prayers.

So unfortunate she is no more here to reap the fruit of her labor. She died before I even serve. cry

I cry inside me everyday because of her. She deserves to live long. She helped me to be in this position because of her everyday prayers.

May your soul continue to rest in peace Mother cry
Same story with me bro, she left while I was in 200l in 2014 and it seems like yesterday everyday... I'm not sure I'll get over it

1 Like

Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Job After You Graduated From The University? by seangy4konji: 4:05pm On Dec 08, 2020
How did you guys get a job

Job

Lol

1 Like

Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Job After You Graduated From The University? by ibechris(m): 4:09pm On Dec 08, 2020
ecomalchemist:
What the fuccc is that hommie, there's nothing like a job in Nigeria.

After I left school, I started importing tech gadgets and I can comfortably say that I've created more employment opportunities that the federal government.

There's a lot of money in buying and selling if you have the right product. Don't dull.

If you sell a hot product of N5,000 to 2000 Nigerians, do the math !!!!

A job can only pay your bills, but youd be miserable after 35 years. Start a business now and use the internet to grow it.

Cheers !!!

Typical igbo man guy. I like ur spirit.
Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Job After You Graduated From The University? by Vintiana: 4:09pm On Dec 08, 2020
2years now and still searching.
Studied Agricultural Extension and management.

1 Like

Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Job After You Graduated From The University? by blaze83(m): 4:10pm On Dec 08, 2020
Went for NYSC in April 2018, and was serving at the Engineering faculty of University of Calabar(Chemical Engineering department). I served my HOD diligently, hoping they'd help me work to be retained as a Technologist at least as the faculty was barely two years old and there were lots of openings. At least 2 persons got employed into the faculty every month during my one year there.

After my NYSC in March 2019, I submitted my application letter to the VC through my HOD. Stayed back in Calabar for a few months before my rent almost expired, no show from Unical, was told they employed Cross-Riverians more or you have to be really connected from above to be considered. Meanwhile, I was applying for practically any role I came across during this time from secretary to marketer. Got one offer from Hotels.ng as a customer service agent(25k) in Ikot Ekpene, I couldn't take it even though I wanted to as I knew no one to stay with in Uyo and can't pay for house with 25k salary.

I moved back to my uncle's place where I usually spend semester holidays. He has a shop , so I help him in shop, get 5h daily feeding allowance I save plus extra money I add to goods when selling to customers. Was on this for 2-3months before I got a job as a GT in an Oil Servicing Coy in July. Salary jumped from NYSC 19.8k to over 150k with perks like a work laptop, relevant certifications and training, free lunch, HMO etc. It was a miracle as I didn't know anyone in the company. We were 10 GTs and 7 knew someone from within from what I later found out.

It was a contract job but I was very thankful to God and hoped some of us would be retained at least especially as I was always coming 2nd place in the company's periodic evaluation exercises, this I thought would make up for a lack of a godfather in the company besides God. Then, Covid-19 struck and everything scattered. During the lockdown, I used the laptop the coy gave us to learn Product Design and small data analysis using Python programming language (I was learning front-end web development during NYSC before Calabar boys broke into my house at Goldie road and stole the HP Envy M6 laptop I bought with my savings from school to learn web development during service year).

I have been applying for roles within the oil and gas with my one year oil and gas experience and also for Product Design roles. I haven't gotten any yet, but I'm very hopeful 2021 has a lot in store for me.

*So feel free to reach out to me if you have GT roles to fill or Product Design jobs to do or Junior HSE Officer positions to fill.

*I am also a land broker, I've been selling lands since my undergraduate days, so if you need genuine lands in/around FUTO, Obinze or Avu in Owerri, feel free to reach out. (Iamuchenna@yahoo.com)

13 Likes

Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Job After You Graduated From The University? by haconjy(m): 4:11pm On Dec 08, 2020
Ohthinktwice:
Considering how difficult it was to get admission into the University, one would think that once that happened, someone's problems would be over, however that often turns out to be the beginning of an entirely different problem which wouldn't be solved until one had successfully graduated from the University.

Then after the celebration of graduation was over, the reality soon sets in about how all that effort, time and resources, etc being invested into getting a University degree was basically to make one able to get a good job.

A few graduates are lucky enough to get a job immediately afterwards, but most have to wait. And the time of waiting differs from individual to individual. Some have to wait for months, some up to a year, others have wait to for up five years and even more.

So what category do you fall into? He long did you have to wait before you got a job after graduation?

Share your experiences here so others could learn a thing or two to help them prepare for life after graduation.

Cheers.

pls how do I go about it ....
I am a lecturer in making but I think am not doing everything well... pls how do I go about it to become a lecturer too....

1 Like

Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Job After You Graduated From The University? by Kiddllc: 4:13pm On Dec 08, 2020
God777:
I gruaduated ten years ago and am still searching
Help ur self no job anywhere.. and u still dey do 777 You sure say u serious liadis undecided
Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Job After You Graduated From The University? by SmartPolician: 4:14pm On Dec 08, 2020
Monben:
God bless you for having integrity

Bless you too

2 Likes

Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Job After You Graduated From The University? by SavageBoy: 4:15pm On Dec 08, 2020
Kenneygirl:
Welcome sir

@Kenneygirl are you one of the girls that was playing hide and seek with this young man then
Because I'm already suspecting you laidis
Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Job After You Graduated From The University? by Kenneygirl(f): 4:17pm On Dec 08, 2020
SavageBoy:

@Kenneygirl are you one of the girls that was playing hide and sick with this young man then
Because I'm already suspecting you laidis
Hide and "sick" ko
Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Job After You Graduated From The University? by Nobody: 4:19pm On Dec 08, 2020
I learnt how to trade the financial market while in school, and now I earn in $$$$$$$$$$$$$
Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Job After You Graduated From The University? by blaze83(m): 4:23pm On Dec 08, 2020
tegafej:
I graduated in 2016 2.1 Gas Engineering...

Started a teaching job in 2017 for few months in order to raise money for my Post graduate studies and then went for MSc in 2018.

Started my own engineering research consultancy firm last year and it's been growing at an exceeding speed.

God has been faithful...

Hello bro, I'm a Petroleum Engineering graduate, would love to engage you as starting an engineering firm is one of my long term goals.

1 Like

Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Job After You Graduated From The University? by Mosetgg: 4:24pm On Dec 08, 2020
Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Job After You Graduated From The University? by authority2006(m): 4:27pm On Dec 08, 2020
God777:
I gruaduated ten years ago and am still searching

Same as me, 2010. But it's not bad, not really looking for job but Buhari's money go sweet if and when it's available.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Job After You Graduated From The University? by Kiddllc: 4:29pm On Dec 08, 2020
Immediately i was done with the whole academic ish i handled one of my dads biz. Was actually balling hard but i felt suffocated cos my dad likes to show power too much no be say i dey follow am drag anything. I put my all in that biz and it grew very fast in all terms. I had to leave due to much suffocation. After that was Oyo state housing Corporation i was under a top man there.. Not much remuneration but it was fun. My boss was a very jovial happy Alhaji with no issues at all. I got bored af and i knew this isn't where i wanted to be. So i moved again this time FCT omor this was actually a contract job with FAAN. My boss a stupid money miss road man unfortunately from same state as me. Coke head, fvcks anything under skirts, and marries anyhow like its a handshake. Ontop that the man no even wise i come begin wonder how him take even secure the contract for somewhere as tuff as Abj.. I was laid off unjustly without any good reason because of his stupid girlfriend... I saw hell. Abuja wasnt funny at all. As in ehhn the suffer make me remember job issue grin Since then i dey do my own thing living freely n better. I will never ever work for no one till i stop breathing. Na Lagos sure pass for biz.. We die here cheesy

1 Like

Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Job After You Graduated From The University? by Nobody: 4:31pm On Dec 08, 2020
Kenneygirl:
Welcome sir

Happy birthday

1 Like

Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Job After You Graduated From The University? by charlesucheh(m): 4:40pm On Dec 08, 2020
no need, 8 years after, and I'm still looking for job....

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Women Bosses And Their Women Problem / Nigerian Army 77rri Recruit Intake Exercise Ongoing At Army Barracks Onitsha / What business can 300k do

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.