Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,352 members, 7,815,745 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:29 PM

How Long Did It Take You To Get A Job After You Graduated From The University? - Career (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Long Did It Take You To Get A Job After You Graduated From The University? (29603 Views)

UK Nigerian Man Reportedly Lost His Job After His Female Compatriot Report Him / Woman Loses Her Corporate Job After Revealing How Many People She's Slept With / Man Loses Job After Telling Boss Over Phone His Mum Is An Illiterate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Job After You Graduated From The University? by authority2006(m): 4:41pm On Dec 08, 2020
CELEBRITIZ:

I finished serving July 2020,my ppa retained me since then. I'm earning peanut though

Don't let that one tie you down. If you have to quit, just quit so that you can pursue what you think can bring you enough income. Don't waste your time working for peanut.
When I graduated and missed out on the few opportunities that came my way (civil defence job, America visa lottery and Dangote cement job), I refused to work for peanut (teaching). I'm on my own today.
Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Job After You Graduated From The University? by illicit(m): 4:42pm On Dec 08, 2020
Seyzcham91:
you retained yourself as you settle for less

so don't complain or mention the underpay part just keep enjoying what you already have like that

Its not like that, I would have been at home doing nothing, I keep applying for jobs and going for interview.... it's better than being dependent....
Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Job After You Graduated From The University? by missbehave247(m): 4:49pm On Dec 08, 2020
richmondefosa:
Finished from the University of Benin 2016
Served in Ikenga Hotels 2017 in Nsukka, Enugu State.
I was retained after service.
Got a better offer in Lagos in a fine-dining restaurant on the island as a waiter. Pay was over a 100k grin
Worked there less than a year and was made Assistant Manager. Didn't work in the new position for up to 3 months when i moved to the financial industry with a better pay, working environment and awesome prospects.
I am currently a banker with one of the finest multinational banks with several branches spread across Africa. Working in Operations backend.
I am learning programming (self tutoring).
I sew clothes during my free time. (A skill i learnt during my NYSC days).

For the records, I graduated with a 2.2.
Since i graduated, i have never been out of a job.
You are only limited by your mind.

See this my guy that year, ur story was so familiar that i suspected it you and had to check your profile and gbam see Richmond that year with Henrietta 'u catch the drift'.

U must really trust this forum enough bro
Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Job After You Graduated From The University? by Dogi1(m): 4:50pm On Dec 08, 2020
6 Months

1 Like

Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Job After You Graduated From The University? by Ibfpleasant(m): 4:51pm On Dec 08, 2020
7victor:

One lady has a big provision store.

She said she loved me because I have a gentle nature.

She asked me to marry her and I have accepted.

She said she is willing to close her provision store and join me in the state I am lecturing.

But I have told her not to do so because the shop brings in good money for her.

We are still discussing and soon anything can happen.
Best of luck!

1 Like

Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Job After You Graduated From The University? by LyfeJennings(m): 4:55pm On Dec 08, 2020
9years

1 Like

Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Job After You Graduated From The University? by olureignforever: 4:57pm On Dec 08, 2020
Ohthinktwice:
Considering how difficult it was to get admission into the University, one would think that once that happened, someone's problems would be over, however that often turns out to be the beginning of an entirely different problem which wouldn't be solved until one had successfully graduated from the University.

Then after the celebration of graduation was over, the reality soon sets in about how all that effort, time and resources, etc being invested into getting a University degree was basically to make one able to get a good job.

A few graduates are lucky enough to get a job immediately afterwards, but most have to wait. And the time of waiting differs from individual to individual. Some have to wait for months, some up to a year, others have wait to for up five years and even more.

So what category do you fall into? He long did you have to wait before you got a job after graduation?

Share your experiences here so others could learn a thing or two to help them prepare for life after graduation.

Cheers.

Two month. A teaching job. Got an accounting job in a real estate firm 3 years later through one of my students.

1 Like

Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Job After You Graduated From The University? by Seyzcham91(m): 5:00pm On Dec 08, 2020
you right sha! half bread better than none
illicit:

Its not like that, I would have been at home doing nothing, I keep applying for jobs and going for interview.... it's better than being dependent....

1 Like

Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Job After You Graduated From The University? by Oskab1(m): 5:03pm On Dec 08, 2020
Till waiting for better job. Had my NCE certificate in 2011 and B.Ed in 2018. Done with NYSC in October. Oseniabdulkabir1@maill.com HelpOOoo

1 Like

Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Job After You Graduated From The University? by Kiddllc: 5:03pm On Dec 08, 2020
illicit:

Very correct but sadly enough lots of people get too comfortable and then they forget, let go of their own dreams while managing and managing them go marry born turn daddy forgetting time waits for no one. Life will go on as usual but the only thing they forgot n keep forgetting to act on it because they got comfortable is their fvcking dreams. Its good to earn at all at all but its very dangerous when the at all at all is determined by another man.. Before long frustration will set in. That's why u see lots of them on NL hating on any young successful guy by calling him all sorts of names. Dont just keep applying for other better jobs. Never loose sight of ur dreams man... never

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Job After You Graduated From The University? by illicit(m): 5:05pm On Dec 08, 2020
Kiddllc:

Very correct but sadly enough lots of people get too comfortable and then they forget, let go of their own dreams while managing and managing them go marry born turn daddy forgetting time waits for no one. Life will go on as usual but the only thing they forgot n keep forgetting to act on it because they got comfortable is their fvcking dreams. Its good to earn at all at all but its very dangerous when the at all at all is determined by another man.. Before long frustration will set in. That's why u see lots of them on NL hating on any young successful guy by calling him all sorts of names. Dont just keep applying for other better jobs. Never loose sight of ur dreams man... never

I promise to never lose sight of my dreams....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Job After You Graduated From The University? by obamartins(m): 5:06pm On Dec 08, 2020
graduated 2014 computer science 2.1

2015 - early 2016 - Hustled with my boss who had nothing until he got a 300 million naira contract, he frustrated me out of his team (I just kuku resign).

early 2016 - Worked in a hospital as their ICT officer in charge of the hospital's network (agreed salary = N60,000 per month). However, salary was paid once in three months. (I resigned after six months).

2016 - Jeff Bezos employed me part time while i worked in a business center full time (business center Salary - N24,000 per month).

2017 - Resigned my business centre "Job" and started working full time for Jeff (Salary - mouth watering).

2017 - date: Still working for Jeff with no regrets whatsoever.

So i will say 3years after graduation.

Make i go work b4 Jeff vex

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Job After You Graduated From The University? by tegafej(m): 5:06pm On Dec 08, 2020
blaze83:

Hello bro, I'm a Petroleum Engineering graduate, would love to engage you as starting an engineering firm is one of my long term goals.

Okay... We can always connect

1 Like

Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Job After You Graduated From The University? by Horlawoomey(m): 5:09pm On Dec 08, 2020
7 months after NYSC

Studied Civil Engineering

Finished NYSC in October 2015

Moved to Lagos, January 2016

Got a Research job that pays 1500 to 2500 per day around Agege, it wasn't an everyday job. I did it for 5 weeks

Got a 40k per month job from an Engineer on Nairaland which I did for 2 months before I got my present job in May 2016.

7 interviews in all

119 applications.

To God be the glory

4 Likes

Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Job After You Graduated From The University? by oilfielden(m): 5:11pm On Dec 08, 2020
My days was good. University hire with zero experience and sent overseas from UI

1 Like

Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Job After You Graduated From The University? by Nobody: 5:13pm On Dec 08, 2020
7victor:
Immediately I finished my NYSC in 2010,I was given an appointment letter to start working in a bank with a salary of N2,200,000 CTC which translated to about N183,000 per month.

I did the documentation in the bank but at the nick of starting the job fully, the job was stopped by CBN.

That is how I lost the opportunity.

I started teaching in private schools from 2011 to 2018.

[s]During that time, I came to nairaland and wrote that I needed a tall,slim,dark, beautiful girl for marriage.

I wrote my number in case a lady wanted to call because I have discovered that I love a lady more if she is the one who first approach me for relationship.

If I first approach a lady, I can easily leave her without thinking twice.

But if she is the one that first comes to me, I use to find it hard to leave her and even if she leaves me, I use to find it hard to forget her.

That is my discovery about myself.

So I wanted a situation where I will be able to love my woman so much and hold onto her forever.

That was why I wanted a lady to first call me and indicate her interest in me.

So I wrote my number in case a lady would have the presence of mind to call me for marriage so that I could marry her.

Two girls actually called but when I wanted to get serious with them,they backed out because what I was earning in private schools was peanut.

Although they didn't just leave me suddenly, but they were playing hide and seek and didn't want to immediately get married.

They said I was the kind of man a woman would love to marry but that my income was too small.

These two girls were in their early twenties so they were not under pressure to marry.

They were still taking their time.

I said no problem.[/s]

Then last year,God answered my prayers and gave me a lecturing job.

So I waited 9 years after NYSC to get a lecturing job.

During those 9 years,I got a Master and I am currently running a PhD.

Glory be to God.

Keep it short and precise next time.
Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Job After You Graduated From The University? by SavageBoy: 5:17pm On Dec 08, 2020
Kenneygirl:
Hide and "sick" ko
It was a typo error,I meant seek...yeye girlundecided
Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Job After You Graduated From The University? by ramifickolade: 5:18pm On Dec 08, 2020
kondogbia:
Country is messed up. Graduated three years ago still no job till now. May God help us all. 2.2 graduate of geology. Please any help anyone can render ooooo, make man no begin dey depressed.
recently I just got a job and pay is 30k, due to this strike (ASUU) It's so hard to think of continuing school, when i,m seeing a lot of graduates not even doing fine. i,m studying architecture and it's so expensive doing that course. please an advice is needed
Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Job After You Graduated From The University? by OLESCO(f): 5:19pm On Dec 08, 2020
skyblue4real:
Though after my university level, I got a job immediately, but the salary was nothing to write home about. Immediately after my service (NYSC) Just call it 4 months, my able Brother, Boss, divine leader, somebody God has been using to clean tears in eyes of his people, he did something great by given me a job. Who is this man, Hon.Barr.Solomon Akpulonu , the majority leader of Abia 7th house of Assembly. We are lucky to have him via Obingwa East constituency.
Longlive Abia State.

pls can I DM u
Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Job After You Graduated From The University? by Nobody: 5:22pm On Dec 08, 2020
After waiting for one full year for NYSC call up, I got a job while serving.
Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Job After You Graduated From The University? by citypeer(m): 5:43pm On Dec 08, 2020
7victor:
Immediately I finished my NYSC in 2010,I was given an appointment letter to start working in a bank with a salary of N2,200,000 CTC which translated to about N183,000 per month.

I did the documentation in the bank but at the nick of starting the job fully, the job was stopped by CBN.

That is how I lost the opportunity.

I started teaching in private schools from 2011 to 2018.

During that time, I came to nairaland and wrote that I needed a tall,slim,dark, beautiful girl for marriage.

I wrote my number in case a lady wanted to call because I have discovered that I love a lady more if she is the one who first approach me for relationship.

If I first approach a lady, I can easily leave her without thinking twice.

But if she is the one that first comes to me, I use to find it hard to leave her and even if she leaves me, I use to find it hard to forget her.

That is my discovery about myself.

So I wanted a situation where I will be able to love my woman so much and hold onto her forever.

That was why I wanted a lady to first call me and indicate her interest in me.

So I wrote my number in case a lady would have the presence of mind to call me for marriage so that I could marry her.

Two girls actually called but when I wanted to get serious with them,they backed out because what I was earning in private schools was peanut.

Although they didn't just leave me suddenly, but they were playing hide and seek and didn't want to immediately get married.

They said I was the kind of man a woman would love to marry but that my income was too small.

These two girls were in their early twenties so they were not under pressure to marry.

They were still taking their time.

I said no problem.

Then last year,God answered my prayers and gave me a lecturing job.

So I waited 9 years after NYSC to get a lecturing job.

During those 9 years,I got a Master and I am currently running a PhD.

Glory be to God.

Amen brother. Amen .
Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Job After You Graduated From The University? by deemuller(m): 5:45pm On Dec 08, 2020
finished my service October last year, got a job December, with a private company, now working with the federal government.

2 Likes

Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Job After You Graduated From The University? by Evajewel: 5:45pm On Dec 08, 2020
I left school Absu since 2018 finished my Nysc this year 2020. Am currently doing a small job (marketing)that I earn #30k per month but still looking out for better one. Tho I applied for Immigration but my name was not shortlisted for exams but I believe better days will come. Incase of connections pls contact ur guy b4 street will turn to my hubby 07038943344 . However my plans was to get good paying job middle of the year and marry diz December Cox man will soon turn to 30

3 Likes

Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Job After You Graduated From The University? by falebe: 5:46pm On Dec 08, 2020
Ohthinktwice:
Considering how difficult it was to get admission into the University, one would think that once that happened, someone's problems would be over, however that often turns out to be the beginning of an entirely different problem which wouldn't be solved until one had successfully graduated from the University.

Then after the celebration of graduation was over, the reality soon sets in about how all that effort, time and resources, etc being invested into getting a University degree was basically to make one able to get a good job.

A few graduates are lucky enough to get a job immediately afterwards, but most have to wait. And the time of waiting differs from individual to individual. Some have to wait for months, some up to a year, others have wait to for up five years and even more.

So what category do you fall into? He long did you have to wait before you got a job after graduation?

Share your experiences here so others could learn a thing or two to help them prepare for life after graduation.

Cheers.
I still no get job after 7 years of graduation from university, I am bike man now

1 Like

Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Job After You Graduated From The University? by blaze83(m): 5:51pm On Dec 08, 2020
tegafej:

Okay... We can always connect

https://www.linkedin.com/in/uchennanwafor

You can drop your LinkedIn Url let me send you a connection request, that's mine above.

Email address: iamuchenna@yahoo.com
Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Job After You Graduated From The University? by Coinbased: 5:53pm On Dec 08, 2020
Never I employed myself

1 Like

Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Job After You Graduated From The University? by kalu61(m): 5:59pm On Dec 08, 2020
CzarChris:
One week into NYSC camp i actually got a call to resume as a contact staff in a multinational company. Though the pay was extremely poor, the experience garnered was immeasurable. I've changed jobs since then, i now lecture and I run a consultancy firm now. All i can say is that God has been too faithful to me.
Erudite. Enjoy, de put me for prayers o

2 Likes

Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Job After You Graduated From The University? by toprealman: 6:01pm On Dec 08, 2020
God777:
I gruaduated ten years ago and am still searching
What's your field?

1 Like

Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Job After You Graduated From The University? by 7victor(m): 6:04pm On Dec 08, 2020
citypeer:

Amen brother. Amen .
Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Job After You Graduated From The University? by 7victor(m): 6:04pm On Dec 08, 2020
koyyes:

Keep it short and precise next time.

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Job After You Graduated From The University? by 7victor(m): 6:05pm On Dec 08, 2020
Ibfpleasant:
Best of luck!
Re: How Long Did It Take You To Get A Job After You Graduated From The University? by Nursetemmy: 6:08pm On Dec 08, 2020
Please I need a job...I'm a graduate of business education with upper credit 4.2...I have experience as a teacher and receptionist..
God bless you please, my siblings depend on me..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Women Bosses And Their Women Problem / Nigerian Army 77rri Recruit Intake Exercise Ongoing At Army Barracks Onitsha / What business can 300k do

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.