Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,567 members, 7,820,048 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:01 AM

Who Ought To Name A Child ? - Family (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Who Ought To Name A Child ? (19949 Views)

Like Dbanj, This Is What Every Guy Ought To Do / My Fiance Has A Child Out Of Wedlock. But Kept It A Secret From Me. / "Doctors Told Me I Will Have A Child 5 Years After My Accident But Now" - Lady (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by Sixfeetbelle: 12:42am On Dec 08, 2020
SolidGains:

Not only African culture bro

All culture all over the world including all Religion...especially, Christianity, Islam and Judaism place such responsibility on the shoulder of the man.

How dare the wife go at logger heads with her husband over that? The husband brings the main name while the wife brings a second name...that's the way it has to go.

The Bible that Christianity is based on did not give exclusive naming rights to the father. Hannah is a perfect and known example. I'm sure we'll find more if we dig deeper
Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by shantti(m): 1:03am On Dec 08, 2020
Nuyokoi:
first name: mother middle name: father
second child first name: father middle name: mother
they can take turns.
According to what constitution, religion or tradition
Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by shantti(m): 1:19am On Dec 08, 2020
DMerciful:
You talk like a child. If women can birth their own child why do they take marriage as their most important achievement? Why do they need men to sleep with them? If you carry this mentality to marriage you gonna regret it. You think carrying pregnancy automatically makes you the head of the family? Feminism will destroy you if you're not careful!

I'm tru with you!

dont waste ur time on her, she is clearly a teenager, she thinks its by throwing logic, she will be in for a surprise when she gets married, by the time 5 consecutive husbands sends her back to her fathers house after collecting back their dowry, she will humble by force

1 Like

Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by rinzaugustine: 1:53am On Dec 08, 2020
Sixfeetbelle:

Because it's obvious men are doing a very horrible job at it. Where you guys doing so well, would anyone feel the need to challenge it?
It’s a deep slight on the man’s ego
Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by omojesu202(m): 2:49am On Dec 08, 2020
cococandy:

Laughable. The head should stay up all night peeing and vomiting because the baby is kicking his intestines and bladder nonstop. Some of you don’t know where to draw the line with this your nonsense head and tail thing.
If they can’t decide together, then shouldn’t even be having the kid.

yes, they can decide as husband and wife. But if both starts insisting then the husband should have the final say.
I don't need to tell you that.
Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by Qsand: 4:16am On Dec 08, 2020
Sixfeetbelle:

The Bible that Christianity is based on did not give exclusive naming rights to the father. Hannah is a perfect and known example. I'm sure we'll find more if we dig deeper

Then find more or keep quiet. There are always exceptions in everything. Afterall Deborah was a judge. Elkanah loved his wife dearly and it's no surprise then that he gave her free reign to name the child especially considering all she had been through.

And to everyone saying African culture. Just stop please. Africa is a very diverse region. From Morocco and Egypt to South Africa. Just because you and another country are black doesn't mean your cultures are identical.

The first name of the child is a man's duty or right, depending on how you choose to see it. My source? History and Nigerian cultures.

Culturally and religiously, a man is the head of the family with first rights to naming a child. Women play a supporting role in both. She can name the child if she wants (my mum calls me by the name she gave me sometimes) but it can only be a second name at best. Now, if a man decides to let the child's first name be decided by a woman, good and fine. That's the family's concern. But where a woman wants to contest the right to the First name of the child with the husband, may God punish you, because that is a sign of more problems to come, and as a man I won't tolerate such. My wife can even give our second child his first name, but that's my decision to make. We can research and join heads, but the final decision is to be made by me.

If you think differently as a woman then you better go and live in Europe or America and marry a foreign man where you can display your stupidity and exert control over him, but over here in Nigeria, we men won't tolerate it. Be careful how much of European content you take in because not only are we differently wired, we have a totally different culture and history. It may not sound fair, because God, biology and history have all conspired to give men that right, but it is what it is and believe me, the responsibilities men hold in their families and societies are just as unfair.

In the family, there is no equality in power. Men are at the top, women are next. It doesn't mean the man should be a dictator, but that after reasoning with his wife, especially when the result is in disagreement, his choice is the final say. Again, the power vested on us by God and biology is absolutely not an excuse for tyranny. This is a warning to all men.

The advancement of technology, improvement in standard of living and establishment of human rights are the reason why the power divide between a man and a woman has shrunk. There's less need for physical protection now for her as the law has handled that. There's less need for bearing the financial burden because women now have careers. But as a Christian, the rules remain the same. Even if society changes, the family is sacred. And the rules remain. Put there in the public, women can boss men and take positions of power, but the family is a line you don't cross.

Why did God or evolution or whatever you choose to believe put men at the top? In God's case, I don't know. Ask him. In biology/evolution's case because that's what favoured survival. It's seemingly unfair, yes. But life itself is unfair and you can't always have logic prevail.

Sorry for any typos.
Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by yetty247(f): 4:16am On Dec 08, 2020
[quote author=Juliusmomoh post=96827324]Good day nairalander
wahala for the woman. children dey get plenty names nao
Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by cococandy(f): 4:23am On Dec 08, 2020
omojesu202:

yes, they can decide as husband and wife. But if both starts insisting then the husband should have the final say.
I don't need to tell you that.

Erm no. But hold onto your opinion. Hopefully your lady agrees with you.
Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by frozen70(f): 5:54am On Dec 08, 2020
Juliusmomoh:
Good day nairalander
What is your kind opinion to the above question ?...
My anty and her husband have being having isuee concerning this since yesterday...
She gave birth 7days ago, and according to there religion (christainity), tomorrow is the naming...
Now two of them are having isuee now concerning the naming..
The husband suggest the boy to be called: victor..
While the wife (my anty) suggest the boy to be called: freedom ...
Now mothers and fathers in the house. WHO OUGHT TO NAME A CHILD ? .
Mother or father ? Abi both of them ?

Both of them can either agree to one particular name or they can name him different names as pronounced on the naming day, but you know what, the woman will chose her preferred name and keep calling that child that name until the father gives up
Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by Sixfeetbelle: 6:23am On Dec 08, 2020
Qsand:

Then find more or keep quiet. There are always exceptions in everything.

Sorry for any typos.

I corrected an erroneous comment and instead of you to accept that the naming of a child isn't an exclusive right of the father, you went off into a tirade, showing your male ego cum arrogance in full display.

As long as the Bible I believe in did not make it exclusive, you all are just eediots for insisting it's a man's right to name a child. No offense.

Even Jesus was named by his mother, not by his father.

2 Likes

Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by somehow: 6:36am On Dec 08, 2020
legacystore:

Both of them

The man gives native name
The woman gives christian or English name

There is nothing like a christian name
Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by somehow: 6:38am On Dec 08, 2020
Sixfeetbelle:

I corrected an erroneous comment and instead of you to accept that the naming of a child isn't an exclusive right of the father, you went off into a tirade, showing your male ego cum arrogance in full display.

As long as the Bible I believe in did not make it exclusive, you all are just eediots for insisting it's a man's right to name a child. No offense.

And who named the rest of the notable names in the same Bible?
Even the Jesus you are talking about, both Mary and Joseph already got the revelation of what he is to be called through dreams according to the Bible, so Mary did not name him, the angel did.
Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by solonubinho(m): 7:24am On Dec 08, 2020
Mokason288:
Mstheeeew... they don chop belle full

I HOPE I MADE SENSE

You obviously didn't. Perhaps on your second attempt you may.
Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by Kenny242(m): 7:27am On Dec 08, 2020
Nuyokoi:

Biologically and legally, the party who gives birth to the child - the mother - has the right to name the child.

Hi
Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by biggie73(m): 8:06am On Dec 08, 2020
Sixfeetbelle:

Because of child naming, suddenly wife is no longer submissive. You lots make me laugh.

I suppose then that Hannah and Elizabeth who named their own children were not submissive to their husbands? Next time, don't skip chapters when you read your Bible
...there are 2 sides to all events....
Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by bukatyne(f): 8:27am On Dec 08, 2020
I like my Nigerian peeps sha.

If only they expend this much energy to ACTUALLY obey what the Bible says about marriage and life matters.

But no, they are religious today, natural tomorrow, cultural next tomorrow, liberal next week, traditional next month depending on what suits their mischievous stance at the moment.

1 Like

Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by Qsand: 9:17am On Dec 08, 2020
Sixfeetbelle:

LOL. See someone that claims to know Bible saying Mary named Jesus. XD. In Matthew, the angel Appeared to Joseph and instructed him to name the child Jesus, which the Bible indicates that Joseph himself did the naming. In luke here's what it says

21 Eight days later, when the baby was circumcised, he was named Jesus, the name given him by the angel even before he was conceived.
Luke 2:21

So your ignorance is on a level beyond me, and it would be an insult for me to argue with you. BTW, my comment wasn't exclusively for you. I wouldn't give you that privilege.

1 Like

Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by Mariangeles(f): 9:20am On Dec 08, 2020
bukatyne:
I like my Nigerian peeps sha.

If only they expend this much energy to ACTUALLY obey what the Bible says about marriage and life matters.

But no, they are religious today, natural tomorrow, cultural next tomorrow, liberal next week, traditional next month depending on what suits their mischievous stance at the moment.

You're the one getting it wrong you know?

The truth is we are not all religious.
Some are Christians, some are religious, some are "natural", some are cultural, some are liberal and so on...

That is why it is important for couples to share the same views and beliefs, to avoid disagreements such as this one.

1 Like

Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by Qsand: 9:20am On Dec 08, 2020
somehow:

Even the Jesus you are talking about, both Mary and Joseph already got the revelation of what he is to be called through dreams according to the Bible, so Mary did not name him, the angel did.

Let her wallow in ignorance. When facts are bitter, women always resort to claims of male ego and toxic masculinity. Make she do am for her husband na. I hope for her sake, he tolerates her nonsense.
Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by bukatyne(f): 9:29am On Dec 08, 2020
Mariangeles:

You're the one getting it wrong you know?

The truth is we are not all religious.
Some are Christians, some are religious, some are "natural", some are cultural, some are liberal and so on...

That is why it is important for couples to share the same views and beliefs, to avoid disagreements such as this one.

Nope.

There are some people who have consistently stated they have no creed and their posts always reflect that.

I am talking of same people who have different views depending on the subject matter.

A lot of people on this thread have used the Bible/religion to argue for/against the OP.

Note those same posters views on adultery, fornication, love, honesty, forgiveness, submission, general conduct, leadership etc.
Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by omojesu202(m): 9:39am On Dec 08, 2020
cococandy:

Erm no. But hold onto your opinion. Hopefully your lady agrees with you.

I told my lady that it is my brother that would name our first child because of the role he played in my life. She didn't argue.

It is not by force to marry ooo or you can keep divorcing and changing husband's.
that one na your cup of tea.
Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by Mariangeles(f): 10:16am On Dec 08, 2020
omojesu202:

I told my lady that it is my brother that would name our first child because of the role he played in my life. She didn't argue.

It is not by force to marry ooo or you can keep divorcing and changing husband's.

Are you a Christian?
Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by HonLord: 10:26am On Dec 08, 2020
Juliusmomoh:

My anty is just messing things up...
She want to be the all in all in everthing..

Tell your Aunty, if she doesn't want to go Deaf & Dump, until the child calls her Mummy before talking, she should allow her HUSBAND to name the child while she can give him any PET name she likes. It is the right of the Father (According to what happened to John the Baptist's father) to name his children. It is not in the place of Eve (wife/mother) to name children except for those children born without marriage (bastards).

Sometime, I wonder what materials God used in creating woman that makes them always trying to send man to early grave without concern and feelings in the name of Wife/Marriage. Tell her NEVER TO START A RACE SHE CANNOT STAND TO FINISH. Did she pay the Groom price or it was the man that paid the Bride price
Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by Juliusmomoh: 10:29am On Dec 08, 2020
HonLord:

Tell your Aunty, if she doesn't want to go Deaf & Dump, until the child calls her Mummy before talking, she should allow her HUSBAND to name the child while she can give him any PET name she likes. It is the right of the Father (According to what happened to John the Baptist's father) to name his children. It is not in the place of Eve (wife/mother) to name children except for those children born without marriage (bastards).

Sometime, I wonder what materials God used in creating woman that makes them always trying to send man to early grave without concern and feelings in the name of Wife/Marriage. Tell her NEVER TO START A RACE SHE CANNOT STAND TO FINISH. Did she pay the Groom price or it was the man that paid the Bride price
Noted

Thank u sir..
Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by cococandy(f): 11:01am On Dec 08, 2020
omojesu202:

good for both of you smiley
Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by tunize(m): 11:10am On Dec 08, 2020
IFSHR:
Wahala grin grin

But since both of them no wan do like husband and wife...shebi na freedom and Victor...to settle the matter make them name the innocent child VICDOM, but make them ready better explanation wey dem go give the boy when he grow up
Hilarious guy ur wiseness don even pass solomon own

1 Like

Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by omojesu202(m): 12:31pm On Dec 08, 2020
Mariangeles:

Are you a Christian?
yes. have I committed any sin?
Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by Sixfeetbelle: 1:25pm On Dec 08, 2020
Qsand:

LOL. See someone that claims to know Bible saying Mary named Jesus. XD. In Matthew, the angel Appeared to Joseph and instructed him to name the child Jesus, which the Bible indicates that Joseph himself did the naming. In luke here's what it says

21 Eight days later, when the baby was circumcised, he was named Jesus, the name given him by the angel even before he was conceived.
Luke 2:21

So your ignorance is on a level beyond me, and it would be an insult for me to argue with you. BTW, my comment wasn't exclusively for you. I wouldn't give you that privilege.

Which of between Mary and Joseph did the Angel appear to first and instruct to name the child? If only Joseph didn't get fidgety about marrying a pregnant virgin, the angel wouldn't have even spoken to him sef. Read your Bible well, especially that same book of Luke you quoted.

That he was named and circumcised on the eight day doesn't mean it was his father's choice to name him "Jesus". His mother already had the spiritual directive and in such a case, the man is expected to pack one side and let the woman name the child. Like Elkanah did.

Thank heavens your comment was for the masses (even though I still don't get why you quoted me), the tirade you spill here reeks of a stubborn arrogant fellow with a rigid way of thinking.
Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by Sixfeetbelle: 1:26pm On Dec 08, 2020
HonLord:

What about the case of Hannah in the bible? Did she born bastard too?
Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by Sixfeetbelle: 1:30pm On Dec 08, 2020
somehow:

Joseph only got the revelation when he started to fidget about marrying a pregnant virgin. He wasn't even told anything before then and might even have been left out of the 'Holy birth' did he not worry. His mother got the instructions and so, technically speaking, she named him.
Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by Sixfeetbelle: 1:32pm On Dec 08, 2020
biggie73:
...there are 2 sides to all events....

grin grin grin

Suddenly there are two sides to all events because I pointed out that even the Bible itself did not give exclusive naming rights to only the father?

I am not surprised.
Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by somehow: 1:50pm On Dec 08, 2020
NO, she did not name him, the angel named him because the child (JESUS) was said not to be a normal birth. It's funny that you are using a unique birth as an evidence of a wife naming her child in a matrimonial home when the child is not a bastard.

Sixfeetbelle:

Joseph only got the revelation when he started to fidget about marrying a pregnant virgin. He wasn't even told anything before then and might even have been left out of the 'Holy birth' did he not worry. His mother got the instructions and so, technically speaking, she named him.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

My Mother Is Trying To Turn Me Against My Father. / Why Do Couples Tend To Look Alike? / Akwa Ibom Housegirl Searching For Her Family

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.