Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,138 members, 7,835,814 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:24 PM

Who Ought To Name A Child ? - Family (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Who Ought To Name A Child ? (20013 Views)

Like Dbanj, This Is What Every Guy Ought To Do / My Fiance Has A Child Out Of Wedlock. But Kept It A Secret From Me. / "Doctors Told Me I Will Have A Child 5 Years After My Accident But Now" - Lady (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by aalangel(f): 8:28pm On Dec 07, 2020
.... named my kids when we were dating. He gave me that right.

1 Like

Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by Luak(m): 8:30pm On Dec 07, 2020
AmazonTopaz:

I like you too.I like the fact that you did not judge me but wanted to hear me out that is nice.
Thanks for the compliment also. cheesy
people like you make great minds. You will be outstanding as a lawyer. Me being a Christian will ask my God to bring you back home to family. We need you

1 Like

Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by oluwatosink: 8:34pm On Dec 07, 2020
One4me:

So the Husband was sleeping throughout the pregnancy, ehn?
Some of you sef.
The Husband is the HEAD of that Family, whether Religiously or Culturally and he has the right of first refusal.
He would give the child his firs name and then the Mother can add the middle name. Even Cousins, GrandDads and GrandMas can add their own, it should not cause any disagreement

Even Jesus was named by his Father, Abraham named his Sons, Isaac name his Sons, etc
Let me ask out of curiosity: Who gave you your own name? Your Father or Mother?
I will not be surprised at your answer because it may be responsible for the way you are reasoning. undecided grin

*** runs away before Pot, Pan and Spoons start flying***
Mothers or Fathers can name a child, depending on each situations. Mother should be the one to name the child base on the connection and the bond she had with her child right from the womb . A good mother should give her child a godly/ good name but if the husband insists on naming the child then the wife should submit to her husband.
Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by SolidGains: 8:47pm On Dec 07, 2020
kalu61:
Africa culture place such responsility on the man first

Not only African culture bro

All culture all over the world including all Religion...especially, Christianity, Islam and Judaism place such responsibility on the shoulder of the man.

How dare the wife go at logger heads with her husband over that? The husband brings the main name while the wife brings a second name...that's the way it has to go.

1 Like

Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by dollytino4real(f): 8:49pm On Dec 07, 2020
over sabi dat is y, mother carry d pregnancy went tru all sort of emotional changes so d mother is in best position to name her baby,

1 Like

Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by AmazonTopaz(f): 8:50pm On Dec 07, 2020
Luak:
people like you make great minds. You will be outstanding as a lawyer. Me being a Christian will ask my God to bring you back home to family. We need you
@bold, how did you know cheesy cheesy I am currently studying in that field but not fully one yet cheesy

I think I am happy where I am though I believe God understands afterall I am not an atheist

1 Like

Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by omojesu202(m): 8:55pm On Dec 07, 2020
Juliusmomoh:

My anty is just messing things up...
She want to be the all in all in everthing..

don't blame your aunt, instead blame the man that marries such a woman who has the audacity to try to overshadow her husband in naming their child.
such a woman does not regard the man as the head.
would you marry such a woman??
Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by cococandy(f): 8:56pm On Dec 07, 2020
Both of them should name the child. But if it comes down to only one of them, then the mom should do it. That my personal opinion. I can’t imagine going through the rigors of pregnancy for someone to tell me I can’t name my own child. We dey joke for here?

But in your aunty’s case, I support her husband. What type of name is freedom? In fact let the most sensible person name the child. Freedom ko. undecided

2 Likes

Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by cococandy(f): 8:58pm On Dec 07, 2020
omojesu202:

don't blame your aunt, instead blame the man that marries such a woman who has the audacity to try to overshadow her husband in naming their child.

Laughable. The head should stay up all night peeing and vomiting because the baby is kicking his intestines and bladder nonstop. Some of you don’t know where to draw the line with this your nonsense head and tail thing.
If they can’t decide together, then shouldn’t even be having the kid.

1 Like

Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by Juliusmomoh: 8:59pm On Dec 07, 2020
omojesu202:

Lai lai ....
God no go allow me marry such...
Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by cococandy(f): 9:01pm On Dec 07, 2020
kalu61:
Africa culture place such responsility on the man first
not in my culture and I’m african. So speak for your village. Una dey always use ‘aFriCan cUltUrE’ as excuse when you want to misyarn.

1 Like

Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by PitexyBaba(m): 9:06pm On Dec 07, 2020
Mokason288:
Mstheeeew... they don chop belle full

I HOPE I MADE SENSE

İ swear...
Too much of sense dey worry you.

1 Like

Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by HotPoundedYam(m): 9:16pm On Dec 07, 2020
at the naming ceremony a child could be given 15 names but he end up being called just 3 out of all those names and two will be prominent out of those 3 names
Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by Highhhio(m): 9:19pm On Dec 07, 2020
In the Bible God gives Adams authority to name all the creatures, therefore man still have that mandate.
Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by DarkJeddi(m): 9:31pm On Dec 07, 2020
oluwatosink:
Names plays vital role in the lives of children. So the mother should name the child because only her knew what she went through before the delivery of the child. The husband can give a second name to the child.

Modified.

Mothers or Fathers can name their child, depending on each situations. Mother should be the one to name the child base on the connection and the bond she had with her child right from the womb . A good mother should give her child a godly/ good name but if the husband insists on naming the child then the wife should submit to her husband.
Nonsense..
Arrant nonsense!! angry

1 Share

Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by DarkJeddi(m): 9:36pm On Dec 07, 2020
Nuyokoi:

this isn't about feminism; just a rational suggestion for them to resolve the matter.

the mother should have the right of way, then for their next child, the father.

personally, i would prefer my future husband and i to name our kids together.
Why should the mother have right of way?
Biologically,does carrying the baby for nine months makes her more of a parent to the child?
Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by OILOFGLADNESS: 9:36pm On Dec 07, 2020
Juliusmomoh:
Good day nairalander
What is your kind opinion to the above question ?...
My anty and her husband have being having isuee concerning this since yesterday...
She gave birth 7days ago, and according to there religion (christainity), tomorrow is the naming...
Now two of them are having isuee now concerning the naming..
The husband suggest the boy to be called: victor..
While the wife (my anty) suggest the boy to be called: freedom ...
Now mothers and fathers in the house. WHO OUGHT TO NAME A CHILD ? .
Mother or father ? Abi both of them ?

MEN ALWAYS CARRY EGO AND HEAD ISSUE IN EVERYTHING

EVERYONE HAVE RIGHT TO NAME A CHILD, EVEN AN INLAW

BUT NAMES SHOULD BE WRITTEN AND THE HUSBAND AND WIFE HAVE THE FINAL SAY

BUT MOST WEAK AND ARMATURE MEN ALWAYS THONK ITS THEOR SOLE RESPONSIBILTY, NOT SO.

I ADVISED A FRIEND RECENTLY

THE HUSBAND STARTED MAKING ISSUE, SO SHE TOOK HIS NAME, THE HUSBAND FATHER ALSO BROUGHT AN ENGLISH NAME , I TOLD HIM TO CONVERT IT TO BENIN, COS HIS SON HAVE NAMED HER. WHEN THEY STRUGGLED FINISH, , MY DEAR CARRY IGBO NAME GIVE UR CHILD...

MATTER ENDS.

WHILE UNDERSTANDING COUPLES AGREES That the man names their first son, while the woman names their first daughter, its understanding and collaboration..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by Raychee(f): 9:57pm On Dec 07, 2020
Freedom is a weird name but why do meager things like this have to be a problem. It's not that hard. A person can have multiple names. Nawa o

2 Likes

Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by Nobody: 10:07pm On Dec 07, 2020
DarkJeddi:
Why should the mother have right of way?
Biologically,does carrying the baby for nine months makes her more of a parent to the child?

Biologically and legally, the party who gives birth to the child - the mother - has the right to name the child.
Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by Coolgent(m): 10:18pm On Dec 07, 2020
They should name his Buhari or Tinubu.
grin
Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by LORDKing001: 11:05pm On Dec 07, 2020
Nuyokoi:
the mother gets first dibs

or did the father carry the baby for 9 months?
no. so.... you've no argument.

Na u put am there were she carry am 9 months? Na u pay d Bill's from prenatal to postnatal? Na u go d buy Pampers and baby food for am. Use your head
Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by Buffalo2(m): 11:14pm On Dec 07, 2020
Crazy! Ewo tun ni freedom? Freedom ko, engagement ni. Radarada

1 Like

Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by AlphaStorm: 11:38pm On Dec 07, 2020
The Father

BTW, They can call him Buhari or shekau if they dont know what to do.
Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by Sixfeetbelle: 12:11am On Dec 08, 2020
Yamiriflathead:
The woman should translate freedom to her native dialect so that they can call him Victor..... Native dialect name... Surname.

The man should translate Victor to his native dialect so that they can call him Freedom..... Native dialect name... Surname.

Na everytime woman go dey compromise for una?
Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by Sixfeetbelle: 12:17am On Dec 08, 2020
oldtimersince06:
If they cannot agree, the Father carries the day.

In my case, my husband and I had agreed on a traditional name in my tribe, prayed for the child with this name. On the day of naming, my mother-in-law told my husband, that cannot be the child's name. He should pick one of those she listed from their tribe. Na so name change oh!

That's what my mom told me happened at our own naming ceremony. She and my dad agreed on a name, naming day reach, mother-in-law changed it to the ones she preferred. Till now, I find it annoying how people take decisions out of other people's hand just like that.
Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by SlurUsername1: 12:19am On Dec 08, 2020
Sixfeetbelle:

The man should translate Victor to his native dialect so that they can call him Freedom..... Native dialect name... Surname.

Na everytime woman go dey compromise for una?

That was me trying to be reasonable..
If I were I the man's shoes, if she no gree name the pikin Victor she'll pack her loads to her father's house and do the naming there while I bring in a woman that sees me as the head of the house .
Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by Sixfeetbelle: 12:20am On Dec 08, 2020
Opus85:

That her behaviour might spoil her marriage if care is not taken.

Let it spoil nah abi marriage na surest way to happiness and heaven?
Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by Sixfeetbelle: 12:25am On Dec 08, 2020
Yamiriflathead:

That was me trying to be reasonable..
If I were I the man's shoes, if she no gree name the pikin Victor she'll pack her loads to her father's house and do the naming there while I bring in a woman that sees me as the head of the house .

Obviously, I knew where your comment stemmed from. You people will never hesitate to shove your patriachial nonsense down people's throats all the time
Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by Sixfeetbelle: 12:27am On Dec 08, 2020
Nuyokoi:
which women takes marriage as an achievement?

naming a child isn't a big deal nor does it replace the man's place
but if that's what you're concluding you need to work on your self-worth as a man.

if the man were smart, he would work together to make the naming a joint effort;
millions of names out there for them to come to an agreement on.

if YOU are not careful, your ignorance will destroy you.

Actually, it's his arrogance that will destroy him, a whole lot of men even.
Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by Sixfeetbelle: 12:29am On Dec 08, 2020
rinzaugustine:
Women of nowadays are now jumping against culture and assuming that responsibility and its very sad

Because it's obvious men are doing a very horrible job at it. Where you guys doing so well, would anyone feel the need to challenge it?
Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by Sixfeetbelle: 12:33am On Dec 08, 2020
One4me:

So the Husband was sleeping throughout the pregnancy, ehn?
Some of you sef.
The Husband is the HEAD of that Family, whether Religiously or Culturally and he has the right of first refusal.
He would give the child his firs name and then the Mother can add the middle name. Even Cousins, GrandDads and GrandMas can add their own, it should not cause any disagreement

Even Jesus was named by his Father, Abraham named his Sons, Isaac name his Sons, etc
Let me ask out of curiosity: Who gave you your own name? Your Father or Mother?
I will not be surprised at your answer because it may be responsible for the way you are reasoning. undecided grin

*** runs away before Pot, Pan and Spoons start flying***

Please come back and explain yourself. The pots and pans haven't started flying. Yet.

Which part of the Bible was it written that Jesus was named by his father? Don't say what you don't know ooh. That the Bible says A begat B doesn't mean the child was named by the father all the time. Hannah, Elizabeth, Jochabed etc named their children. If we search carefully sef, we might even find that Mary was the one who named Jesus.
Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by Sixfeetbelle: 12:40am On Dec 08, 2020
biggie73:
The Bible wants wives to be submissive to their husband. Except there's another man involved, the wife should.

Because of child naming, suddenly wife is no longer submissive. You lots make me laugh.

I suppose then that Hannah and Elizabeth who named their own children were not submissive to their husbands? Next time, don't skip chapters when you read your Bible

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Widow Loses Pregnancy After Being Battered By Man Friend (pic) / Getting Married And Living In Your Parents House. What Is Wrong About It / Photos: Aww, A Woman With Triplet Spotted Begging In Awka Market

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.