Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,862 members, 7,813,944 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:16 PM

Who Ought To Name A Child ? - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Who Ought To Name A Child ? (19911 Views)

Like Dbanj, This Is What Every Guy Ought To Do / My Fiance Has A Child Out Of Wedlock. But Kept It A Secret From Me. / "Doctors Told Me I Will Have A Child 5 Years After My Accident But Now" - Lady (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by Reva1(m): 6:38pm On Dec 07, 2020
IFSHR:
Wahala grin grin

But since both of them no wan do like husband and wife...shebi na freedom and Victor...to settle the matter make them name the innocent child VICDOM, but make them ready better explanation wey dem go give the boy when he grow up

grin cheesy Abi FREETOR
Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by One4me: 6:40pm On Dec 07, 2020
oluwatosink:
Names plays vital role in the lives of children. So the mother should name the child because only her knew what she went through before the delivery of the child. The husband can give a second name to the child.

So the Husband was sleeping throughout the pregnancy, ehn?
Some of you sef.
The Husband is the HEAD of that Family, whether Religiously or Culturally and he has the right of first refusal.
He would give the child his firs name and then the Mother can add the middle name. Even Cousins, GrandDads and GrandMas can add their own, it should not cause any disagreement

Even Jesus was named by his Father, Abraham named his Sons, Isaac name his Sons, etc
Let me ask out of curiosity: Who gave you your own name? Your Father or Mother?
I will not be surprised at your answer because it may be responsible for the way you are reasoning. undecided grin

*** runs away before Pot, Pan and Spoons start flying***

2 Likes

Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by moneyissweet(m): 6:41pm On Dec 07, 2020
Stupid question
Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by Nobody: 6:42pm On Dec 07, 2020
@juliusmomoh
Let me give u the best advice.
Let 'Victor' be his christening name and 'freedom' be his username. So anytime the boy won enter Nairaland, he no go they rack him brain for username again.

I came in peace.
Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by lapoto1: 6:44pm On Dec 07, 2020
In my own opinion name the innocent child Victor and freedom, since both names are not biblical or quranic name, just settle the matter amicable....
Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by Integrafamoo: 6:45pm On Dec 07, 2020
Both. But why two English names. A child can be given as many as possible.
Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by Hamiltonii: 6:45pm On Dec 07, 2020
Elvinci101:

You be Original Mumu so because of the fear of peace of mind you'll do away with your responsibility? The man is the head of the family and as such the onus lies on him to be the one to name the child. The mother can suggest a second name for the child.

Original Mumu

In case you don't know na me talk am!
Don't mind the idiot.

1 Like

Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by Daughterboard(m): 6:49pm On Dec 07, 2020
Juliusmomoh:
Good day nairalander
What is your kind opinion to the above question ?...
My anty and her husband have being having isuee concerning this since yesterday...
She gave birth 7days ago, and according to there religion (christainity), tomorrow is the naming...
Now two of them are having isuee now concerning the naming..
The husband suggest the boy to be called: victor..
While the wife (my anty) suggest the boy to be called: freedom ...
Now mothers and fathers in the house. WHO OUGHT TO NAME A CHILD ? .
Mother or father ? Abi both of them ?

Anybody can name a new born baby. But if the couple had to disagree on a little issue after awaiting nine months of pregnancy then they are not Christians.
Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by Hamiltonii: 6:49pm On Dec 07, 2020
Nuyokoi:

this isn't about feminism; just a rational suggesting for them to resolve the matter.

the mother should have the right of way, then for their next child, the father.

personally, i would prefer my future husband and i to name our kids together.
There's no matter. The man is simply an idiot, a weakling.

1 Like

Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by justli: 6:51pm On Dec 07, 2020
Mokason288:
Mstheeeew... they don chop belle full

I HOPE I MADE SENSE

No, you didn't. You are making the assumption name is inconsequential...but from Christian perspective, it has a serious spiritual implication...the Bible is littered with cases that underscores the significance of a name.

I think the woman, having carried the baby for 9months is entitled to naming the child, just like the grandparents are.
The father presents the official name of the child. And I don't even see why this should be contested if not that men these days have lost all values

1 Like

Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by AmazonTopaz(f): 6:53pm On Dec 07, 2020
Nwogeh:

You don't name a child using the circumstances surrounding their birth....it's old and unnecessary now that we know better...you name a child based on the circumstances you want around them till they grow old...or as an appreciation over what God has been doing and what he will do.

Above all, a woman does not name a child unless the hubby decides to allow her do it.

Even in the bible, Isaac, Abraham, Moses, Jacob etc named their kids.

Inbetween: if you leave women, they will name your child especially boys, after their former boy friend.... Na joke o
And who told you women don't name their children undecided where was it written
Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by BarrElChapo(m): 6:54pm On Dec 07, 2020
Goldp5988:
They should be careful, this is something I believe parent do prayerfully, because names and the circumstances surrounding it can affect a child, just thinking loud.

As in eh if only they knew better

1 Like

Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by AmazonTopaz(f): 6:54pm On Dec 07, 2020
naijadrivablog:
Legitimately married = father
Illegitimate child = mother/mother's people/guardian.
You are not okay undecided
Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by AmazonTopaz(f): 6:55pm On Dec 07, 2020
Luak:
husband's responsibility but he ought to carry his wife along. They can alternate between who choses the first name or the middle name depending on the one they prefer as the native name , hopefully more children will come and who knows,they may jettison the names when they come of age
Anybody can name a child and it is not an exclusive responsibility of the man alone.

1 Like

Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by AmazonTopaz(f): 6:56pm On Dec 07, 2020
kalu61:
Africa culture place such responsility on the man first

It is not African culture.
A child can be named by anybody and not anything like the man first na him carry the belle undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by Juliusmomoh: 6:57pm On Dec 07, 2020
adampedia:
@juliusmomoh
Let me give u the best advice.
Let 'Victor' be his christening name and 'freedom' be his username. So anytime the boy won enter Nairaland, he no go they rack him brain for username again.

I came in peace.
cheesy cheesy
U and nairaland ehn..
Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by AmazonTopaz(f): 6:57pm On Dec 07, 2020
anochuko01:
Very silly!

We've all got three names in my house.
Mom's tribe, dad's tribe and English name
I like this method your family adopted cool
Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by AmazonTopaz(f): 7:00pm On Dec 07, 2020
Yemisi87:

Guys, never marry any lady that doesn't recognize you as her head and friend. Even the world of God which is in line with Africa culture on this issue said and I quote: As Christ is the head of Church so the husband the head of his wife.

Not every woman is a christian or believes a man is the head.
So limit your world view to your circle.
Please don't lie here African culture has nothing to do with christianity African culture is diverse and not one or homogenous so it cannot be said that it is the same for all of Africa
Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by BarrElChapo(m): 7:00pm On Dec 07, 2020
Both parents should but mainly the man. Remember from bible history it's the man's role see Luke 1:13
Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by Chucks1989(m): 7:01pm On Dec 07, 2020
Juliusmomoh:
Good day nairalander
My anty and her husband have being having isuee concerning this since yesterday...
She gave birth 7days ago, and according to there religion (christainity), tomorrow is the naming...
Who says he can't be Victor and Freedom the same time?
Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by JaffyJoe(m): 7:01pm On Dec 07, 2020
They should both be ashamed of themselves as Africans as they are dragging names they can not culturally relates with. If colonialism never occured, what would they have called their kids? Idiotic.
Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by Coolcalmcollect(m): 7:03pm On Dec 07, 2020
later sebi of the husband beat your aunt now or give am resetting slap,she go post pic say man beater...how woman go dey say na she wan give pikin first name,she dey mad?

1 Like

Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by themanderon: 7:03pm On Dec 07, 2020
This generation is soaked in stupidity. Did naming a child start today? Just trying to redefine everything that has always been is causing so much trouble in the world. The man should name the child cos he is the man of the house. This does not mean he should ignore suggestions from the wife.
Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by barajo1(m): 7:04pm On Dec 07, 2020
The baby can actually bear both names
Juliusmomoh:
Good day nairalander
Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by kalu61(m): 7:04pm On Dec 07, 2020
AmazonTopaz:

It is not African culture.
A child can be named by anybody and not anything like the man first na him carry the belle undecided
l will not argue with you. When you marry, do as you like.
Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by AmazonTopaz(f): 7:06pm On Dec 07, 2020
rogalagu:
Naming a child using the biblical reference should be exclusive reserve of the husband. Remember how John the Baptist was named in the bible BY HIS FATHER who was made dumb by the Almighty God throughout the duration of John's gestation period. This dumbness was broken the day John was named. The father wrote the name on a piece of paper and pronounced it saying, His name is JOHN. But irrespective of the biblical account, If love thrives in the family the wife will however suggest a name to the husband and the husband will accept and give that name to the child.
This is not biblical times anybody can name a child.
What rubbish after 9 months woman carry belle she nor go fit still name her pikin wey she labour for but go dey wait make the man get exclusive right what nonsense.It is not a man's duty alone not in today's time

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by AmazonTopaz(f): 7:07pm On Dec 07, 2020
DMerciful:
[s]You talk like a child. If women can birth their own child why do they take marriage as their most important achievement? Why do they need men to sleep with them? If you carry this mentality to marriage you gonna regret it. You think carrying pregnancy automatically makes you the head of the family? Feminism will destroy you if you're not careful!

I'm tru with you[/s]!

You are the one talking like a child

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by Luak(m): 7:07pm On Dec 07, 2020
AmazonTopaz:

Anybody can name a child and it is not an exclusive responsibility of the man alone.
I was writing biblically. You may give me instances from the Bible if you do read it
Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by AmazonTopaz(f): 7:08pm On Dec 07, 2020
Luak:
I was writing biblically. You may give me instances from the Bible if you do read it
I don't read thr bible neither are we in biblical times do I couldn't care about that.

My point id anybody names a child and not the exclusive role of thr father.

1 Like

Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by senteugene: 7:09pm On Dec 07, 2020
They can call him endsars, palliatives, looting
Re: Who Ought To Name A Child ? by AmazonTopaz(f): 7:10pm On Dec 07, 2020
kalu61:
l will not argue with you. When you marry, do as you like.
Oh this is the same Trump supporter arguing that BLM is affiliated with CNN and the democrats oh I should have known better.
undecided

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Please Help, My Mum Is Lazy And Its Draining Me / Nigerian Couple Celebrate Birth Of Their Triplets After 15 Years Of Waiting / Meet Nigeria's Miss Virginity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.