Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,237 members, 7,818,794 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:51 AM

Buhari, Ribadu, Shekarau Pull Out Of BON Debate - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari, Ribadu, Shekarau Pull Out Of BON Debate (18541 Views)

Poll: Should Buhari, Shekerau and Ribadu attend the BON debate?

Yes: 42% (76 votes)
No: 57% (101 votes)
This poll has ended

Fashola/Shekarau 2015 Presidential Ticket???? / Official Thread Of The Bon Nedg Presidential Debate / BON/NEDG Vice-Presidential Debate: Official Thread (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari, Ribadu, Shekarau Pull Out Of BON Debate by jmaine: 2:58pm On Mar 24, 2011
noblezone:

The one obviuos fact is this:

Greater percentage of Nigerians who have access to TV, do not have access to the NN24.

Consequently,
1. Greater percentage of Nigerians are going to watch or listen to the BON debate.

2. These Nigerians will notice that Buhari, Ribadu and Shekarau were not part of the debate.

3. These Nigerians will draw their conclusions based on what they saw/heard.

4. The rest would be history.

By refusing to appear there, this folks have shot themselves on the foot.

Noble all your points were on track except the emboldened as it was evident that most people mind are already made up and  won't hesitate to defend the shambolic performance of their preferred candidates just to keep a straight face on the land and avoid scorn . . we all know GEJ goofed for missing the first debate but pro Buhari and Ribadu nairalanders went about debating and defending worthless utterances their dream boss spewed in a futile attempt to make us see the non existent.

9ijaman impressed me by not joining that bandwagon defense team.  No allow your head swell guy  wink.

Debate or no debate people votes have already being cast, it just matter of time for them to walk to the polling booth to act it out. Don't kill yourself over this little politicking going on.
Re: Buhari, Ribadu, Shekarau Pull Out Of BON Debate by SkyBlue1: 3:04pm On Mar 24, 2011
jmaine:

Noble all your points were on track except the emboldened as it was evident that most people mind are already made up and  won't hesitate to defend the shambolic performance of their preferred candidates just to keep a straight face on the land and avoid scorn . . we all know GEJ goofed for missing the first debate but pro Buhari and Ribadu nairalanders went about debating and defending worthless utterances their dream boss spewed in a futile attempt to make us see the non existent.

9ijaman impressed me by not joining that bandwagon defense team.  No allow your head swell guy  wink.

Debate or no debate people votes have already being cast, it just matter of time for them to walk to the polling booth to act it out. Don't kill yourself over this little politicking going on.

Do you know that probably most of the people who view nairaland are not registered? I believe it is the same with the elections. You have a lot of noise and propaganda, but most of that comes from a comparatively small percentage of the voting populace. People want Nigeria to be better and people's minds can still be changed. Most of them are not part of the noise makers, they simply observe passively, waiting to be swayed, and they have the power (their vote and their voice).
Re: Buhari, Ribadu, Shekarau Pull Out Of BON Debate by lionness(f): 3:07pm On Mar 24, 2011
Beaf:

I'm quite sure I recall Adeola reading his entire reply to a question about what his job as VP would entail from a prepared script at NN24, yet questions weren't sent to candidates before the debates. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! Some people are being hypocritical.

Oh come on Beafy sweetheart. We know how much you cost along the road, grin
Re: Buhari, Ribadu, Shekarau Pull Out Of BON Debate by appletango: 3:10pm On Mar 24, 2011
Fantastic move from the boys!! This means we get to see GEJ up against Pat Utomi!! It'll be like sending a lamb to the wolves.
Re: Buhari, Ribadu, Shekarau Pull Out Of BON Debate by Dreamchaser1(f): 3:23pm On Mar 24, 2011
I've always known they are afraid of GEJ. The only reason they attended an nN24 debate was cos they knew GEJ won't be there. Loooooooooooool!!!! GEJ alll the way!!!
Re: Buhari, Ribadu, Shekarau Pull Out Of BON Debate by Nobody: 3:26pm On Mar 24, 2011
Beaf:

[size=33pt]Mummy! Save me, GEJ is coming!!!![/size]

www.nairaland.com/attachments/180447_ROTFLMAO_gif3d0c775232c7f27cf80592785b9635b6
Beaf you dey too much for this GEJ enemies.I beg take am easy with them before them go gum transformer o!
Re: Buhari, Ribadu, Shekarau Pull Out Of BON Debate by slap1(m): 3:34pm On Mar 24, 2011
So the opposition parties in Nigeria can actually unite like this? Why can't they choose the best man among them and support him since they're all for a good Nigeria, and not for treasury looting?
Re: Buhari, Ribadu, Shekarau Pull Out Of BON Debate by Blazing99: 3:36pm On Mar 24, 2011
slap1:

So the opposition parties in Nigeria can actually unite like this? Why can't they choose the best man among them and support him since they're all for a good Nigeria, and not for treasury looting?
Gbam!
Re: Buhari, Ribadu, Shekarau Pull Out Of BON Debate by Vigilante: 3:36pm On Mar 24, 2011
Something tells me GEJ will be relieved the trio wont show up.  Thy are clinging glasses in Aso Rock now, I tell you.
Re: Buhari, Ribadu, Shekarau Pull Out Of BON Debate by nastydamus(m): 3:40pm On Mar 24, 2011
You know who impresses me the most of the whole lot? It's Buhari.
GEJ apologists are always quick to tout him (Buhari) as a retired general with 'relatively' lower levels of education (which is an entirely different debate on its own), but when push comes to shove and public debates are organised, he's always the first to register interest, through will and eventually by actually participating.
For GEJ however, with his much-touted CV (again, a debate for another day, after eating well  grin), the same cannot be said. So that while other aspirants are preparing for another opportunity to sell themselves to the electorate through the youth-organised debates ("What about us"wink, he's planning to be elsewhere with the koko master and his kokolets.
When you keep shifting the goal post, it gets to a point where other players, in frustration, leave you and look for some other pitch to test themselves.
That said, I'd have loved for them to attend and put the man Jona to shame but their move appears to achieve that in a more pronounced manner as he'll be there to argue with himself.  grin grin grin
Re: Buhari, Ribadu, Shekarau Pull Out Of BON Debate by Jarus(m): 3:44pm On Mar 24, 2011
If I were Buhari, Ribadu or Shekarau, I will show up for this debate. But I don't see their pulling out as out of order. Agreeing that only BON, government's official broadcasting medium, should be the sole organiser gives room for suspicion. How can BOn convince us that they have not given the questions to the president ahead? How can they prove to us that there has not been threat by FG to BON, its agency, that they risk losing their job they give the president tough time?
Re: Buhari, Ribadu, Shekarau Pull Out Of BON Debate by 9ijaMan: 3:46pm On Mar 24, 2011
slap1:

At the rate team GEJ is sinking, these guys may not even need to come together to send GEJ back to the creeks. However I'm not discounting the fact that the oppositions will still come together to make the victory over GEJ and PDP very very very emphatic.
Re: Buhari, Ribadu, Shekarau Pull Out Of BON Debate by jmaine: 3:47pm On Mar 24, 2011
Sky Blue:

Do you know that probably most of the people who view nairaland are not registered? I believe it is the same with the elections. You have a lot of noise and propaganda, but most of that comes from a comparatively small percentage of the voting populace. People want Nigeria to be better and people's minds can still be changed. Most of them are not part of the noise makers, they simply observe passively, waiting to be swayed, and they have the power (their vote and their voice).

The emboldened is absolute in terms of truth , in addition some are not even part of the voting populace   angry  . . . Good thoughts bro . . .

Vigilante:

Something tells me GEJ will be relieved the trio wont show up.  Thy are clinging glasses in Aso Rock now, I tell you.

grin grin
Re: Buhari, Ribadu, Shekarau Pull Out Of BON Debate by 9ijaMan: 3:49pm On Mar 24, 2011
Jarus:

If I were Buhari, Ribadu or Shekarau, I will show up for this debate. But I don't see their pulling out as out of order. Agreeing that only BON, government's official broadcasting medium, should be the sole organiser gives room for suspicion. How can BOn convince us that they have not given the questions to the president ahead? How can they prove to us that there has not been threat by FG to BON, its agency, that they risk losing their job they give the president tough time?

Jarus I tend to disagree with you on this one. There's nothing the other candidates will gain in attending a debate with GEJ.
Re: Buhari, Ribadu, Shekarau Pull Out Of BON Debate by Beaf: 3:49pm On Mar 24, 2011
Jarus:

I keep asking the one question. How come Adeola read out his entire response to the question of what he thought his job as VP entailed? How come?
If you have the video, watch it again. How come?
Re: Buhari, Ribadu, Shekarau Pull Out Of BON Debate by Nobody: 3:50pm On Mar 24, 2011

Please BON is not an association of government media outlet but all media outlets both radio and tv, also BON is not the only group in this, its a plethora of organisations and civil society groups including the NUJ, NANS, all grouped under Nigeria Presidential Debate Group NEDG, --- so get your facts right its not a government sponsored organization.
Re: Buhari, Ribadu, Shekarau Pull Out Of BON Debate by slap1(m): 3:52pm On Mar 24, 2011
I even find it amusing that Ribadu and Buhari, who should have jumped at this opportunity -- if only to prove to the world that they took crack before the previous debate -- to save face, opted out with Shekarau, who proved his brilliance. Shekarau is better off, in the long run. He is intelligent but has slim chances of realizing his dreams. Ribadu and Buhari are dumb with dumber possibilities of becoming even the governor of their states.
Re: Buhari, Ribadu, Shekarau Pull Out Of BON Debate by danjohn: 3:56pm On Mar 24, 2011
This was a well written statement.
Re: Buhari, Ribadu, Shekarau Pull Out Of BON Debate by Kilode1: 3:58pm On Mar 24, 2011
@Sky Blue I agree with you.

No matter how clueless and dumb GEJ is, ignoring this NTA debate is not the wise thing for the opposition to do. If i'm handling GEJ's campaign, I will spin this opposition boycott and milk every ounce of public sympathy for my client.

NTA refused to air the freely given NN24 debate simply because GEJ did not attend. NTA has stations in all 36 states, plus radio and strong affiliation with other public state TV stations. NTA is easily the biggest TV network in Nigeria by far. It is dumb to ignore that platform IMO. The opposition over reacted on this one, I hope cooler heads will prevail and they will reverse their decision.

I totally dislike PDP, but most Nigerians don't have the time and resources to follow politics closely, online, on cable or satellite TV. I bet most of the voters outside our very few large cities don't know if NN24 is a station or a new pain reliever. They will simply hear that Buhari and co refused to appear for a debate. PDP will spin this to their advantage.

They should go on this debate and use that opportunity to tell ignorant Nigerians about GEJ's cowardice. How he's avoiding other debates including the "what about us" debate organized by young Nigerians.

Rather than coming together to boycott this one, they should use every chance they get to speak in unison about how GEJ uses the NTA. They should condemn NTA's bias right there on the podium. and use the platform to explain why it is wrong to use a publicly funded Station as a private propaganda tool in a democracy. It is an opportunity to chip at the pseudo-humility image GEJ is trying so hard to sell.

Apart from our high illiteracy rate, Nigerians are largely ignorant and dismissive about politics. You need to meet people where they are. Nairaland and twitter is not Nigeria.
Re: Buhari, Ribadu, Shekarau Pull Out Of BON Debate by calaway: 4:01pm On Mar 24, 2011
STUPID MINDS MAKE CHILDISH SOUNDS , BUHARI AND HIS COHORTS MUST STOP CRYING FOUL AND REASON. GEJ IS THE PRESIDENT OF NIGERIA AND BY NO MEANS  AN IDLE MIND LIKE MANY OF YOU WHO APPEAR TO BE INSENSITIVE OF THE MAGNITUDE OF THE RESPONSIBILITIES THAT COMES WITH THE OFFICE.
GEJ HAD TO ATTEND TO MATTERS OF PARAMOUNT NATIONAL INTEREST. THE DEBATE WITH BUHARI AND RIBADU IS TRIVIAL AND CAN BE RESCHEDULE WHEN BALANCED AGAINST THE DAILY LIVES OF NIGERIANS. THINK WITH YOUR BRAINS DONT SIT ON IT.
Re: Buhari, Ribadu, Shekarau Pull Out Of BON Debate by EOS(m): 4:03pm On Mar 24, 2011
Beaf, it seems you don't have sense at all!
Re: Buhari, Ribadu, Shekarau Pull Out Of BON Debate by Sagamite(m): 4:05pm On Mar 24, 2011
Jarus:

I agree and disagree with you.

Yes, they should go no matter the circumstances. They should go and then ALL raise their concerns about Silverback Gorilla GEJ possibly seeing the question before hand and suspicion that he would have it easy, well at the beginning of the debate.

They should even all, at occasions, suggest key questions they think the moderators should be asking the president that should be tough in the middle of the debate and with emphasis at the end of the debate if not done.

Then all viewers will see if it is biased or not, and Silverback will be revealed as the PhD cheating mumu we all know he is.

9ijaMan:

Jarus I tend to disagree with you on this one. There's nothing the other candidates will gain in attending a debate with GEJ.

The might gain a status of one that never runs from debates. Unlike Silverback Gorilla.
Re: Buhari, Ribadu, Shekarau Pull Out Of BON Debate by OAM4J: 4:06pm On Mar 24, 2011
Jarus:

If they attend, they will be encouraging the culture of impunity and setting a bad example for the future.

Let Lucky Joe debate with himself or with  Okotie, Pat utomi and others
Re: Buhari, Ribadu, Shekarau Pull Out Of BON Debate by passyjango(m): 4:07pm On Mar 24, 2011
I think the candidates should reconsider their stand. They stand to gain more by attending the debate. However, I understand why they are boycotting it. Like I have said before it is only ‘coconut heads’ like GEJ that dodge debates, intelligent people will always take advantage of any opportunity to show off their intelligence. So, I encourage them to reconsider and I am sure that come debate day, they will show up.
Re: Buhari, Ribadu, Shekarau Pull Out Of BON Debate by drills: 4:08pm On Mar 24, 2011
why cry wolve, you said he didnot attend NN24 presidential debate because he is afraid and hv stuff to hide. Now you have an opportunity to speak 2 Nigeriian populace u have decided to chicken out. I put it to u sir, u also have sometin to hide, cos a clear conscience would fear no gathering
Re: Buhari, Ribadu, Shekarau Pull Out Of BON Debate by AjanleKoko: 4:09pm On Mar 24, 2011
The opposition is daft, and are just setting themselves up. The BON debate is the perfect campaign platform for the opposition guys, they just spurned an opportunity to floor GEJ once and for all.

We're all agreed that GEJ was chickenpoo to shun the NN24 debates, but the other chaps are just shooting themselves in the foot by responding in like fashion. Which has always been my problem with the opposition. When PDP sweeps the vote by hook or crook, they shouldn't complain.
Re: Buhari, Ribadu, Shekarau Pull Out Of BON Debate by juliusczar(m): 4:12pm On Mar 24, 2011
This server GEJ right.
Re: Buhari, Ribadu, Shekarau Pull Out Of BON Debate by Nobody: 4:12pm On Mar 24, 2011
some people are just so funny, u expect other politician to attend is ownt the debate, when he ignore the real  presidential  debate?
Re: Buhari, Ribadu, Shekarau Pull Out Of BON Debate by Sagamite(m): 4:13pm On Mar 24, 2011
passyjango:

I think the candidates should reconsider their stand. They stand to gain more by attending the debate. However, I understand why they are boycotting it. Like I have said before it is only ‘coconut heads’ like GEJ that dodge debates, intelligent people will always take advantage of any opportunity to show off their intelligence. So, I encourage them to reconsider and I am sure that come debate day, they will show up.

AjanleKoko:

The opposition is daft, and are just setting themselves up. The BON debate is the perfect campaign platform for the opposition guys, they just spurned an opportunity to floor GEJ once and for all.

We're all agreed that GEJ was chickenpoo to shun the NN24 debates, but the other chaps are just shooting themselves in the foot by responding in like fashion. Which has always been my problem with the opposition. When PDP sweeps the vote by hook or crook, they shouldn't complain.

GBAM!!!

They are just giving GEJ a 1-1 escape clause.

Silverback Gorilla: "I missed a debate and they missed a debate. We are both the same."
Re: Buhari, Ribadu, Shekarau Pull Out Of BON Debate by bkbabe97y(m): 4:13pm On Mar 24, 2011
Beaf:

I keep asking the one question. How come Adeola read out his entire response to the question of what he thought his job as VP entailed? How come?
If you have the video, watch it again. How come?

Agreed, ure a mor>on, but even u cant be this imbecil*ic!

Clearly (if ur claims are true--- cus we know how much of a horrible, shameless, and unrepentant liar u are), the HE MUST HAVE ANTICIPATED THE QUESTION!

You aint blind, even U.S Public officials always show up with notes that they keep on the podium when answering questions. They jot down answers to anticipated questions; nothing criminal in that. Whats criminal is evading debates, seeking prepared answers and questions, embezzling billions in the face of abject poverty, welcoming home (by throwing lavish parties) convicted criminals, and cavorting with the same criminals that have continuously ra*ped ur country like a worthless ho!
Re: Buhari, Ribadu, Shekarau Pull Out Of BON Debate by karlmax2: 4:14pm On Mar 24, 2011
BON is not a government own organization it is an umbrella body of all local and TV stations in nigeria tv stations like stv,ait,channels,mitv,ltv etc
And the people organizing the debate is are draw from Nigerian bar association NBA,National association of nigerian student NANS, market women association etc.so for those clueless buhari supporter who continue to blab that BON is a government agency are as dump as who they support!!!
Re: Buhari, Ribadu, Shekarau Pull Out Of BON Debate by Beaf: 4:14pm On Mar 24, 2011
drills:

why cry wolve, you said he didnot attend NN24 presidential debate because he is afraid and hv stuff to hide. Now you have an opportunity to speak 2 Nigeriian populace u have decided to chicken out. I put it to u sir, u also have sometin to hide, cos a clear conscience would fear no gathering

Exactly.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

We Must Tax The Rich Mercilessly – Aregbesola / APC Senators Block Bill To Make Appointment Of Service Chiefs Independent / House Of Representatives Members' Wives Association Put Up Advert On Newspaper

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.