Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,355 members, 7,815,753 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:38 PM

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 18 - Travel (48) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 18 (861511 Views)

Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 22 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 21 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 17 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) ... (736) (Go Down)

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 18 by JosephYemsol(m): 5:12pm On Jan 01, 2021
Uzomachukwu:

This is the most interesting, most exhaustive and (at least to for me) most useful landing gist I have read in this forum.

Thank you so much, Akanni, for making out the time to narrate your experience. You have given us so much important information in one post alone. I've read your post three times already and as well
taken screenshots of it. The luggage tips and other airport wahala you've so clearly detailed for us here are really going to come in handy when I eventually start my own journey.
----
Aah, IRCC! I never believed I could be waiting for BVL and final decision up till this time. Damn! It's 2021 and I'm still refreshing my GCKey account, searching for new update. This is perplexing, very.

No choice now than to order GCMS notes.

As a PhD student who has a 4.17 in undergrad (2015), a 5.0 in MA (Dec. 2019), several published academic papers and a Dean's fellowship (full funding: tuition waiver, living expenses of 22k CAD and option of Graduate Assistantship for extra cash not counted towards my funding package), I had thought that getting a study permit would be easy and fast. But, yeah, it's 6 months and 15 days now, and old boy is still anxiously refreshing his GCkey account. How so sad!

At this point, I'm even beginning to get mad at IRCC. But then, it's their country, and as they'll quickly remind you, study permit/visa is a privilege not a right. Still, it's all so sad!

Wow... This is somehow scary.. Like our gurus would say... Don't give up whatsoever... Pls raise gcsm notes asap...and contact frank, justmellow, chocs, raplhudoh for further assistance...pls... My prayers with you...

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 18 by Chocs(f): 5:14pm On Jan 01, 2021
BaesDiary

1) Your first option should be EE, use the CRS tool to simulate your score and that of your husband and see if any of you will reach the cut off for the last draw which was 468. You can google “CRS score tool Canada” and answer the questions to see your score. If you haven’t written IELTS yet just fill in any score (good marks) that you think you can achieve when you take the exam. If EE is not possible, you can then consider a PhD

2) one person can apply for a PhD first and take the others as dependents. So one partner can work while the other studies (my personal opinion)

3) Most PhDs come with funding from the institution. For your visa/study permit application, it’s same POF required as with other study permit applications. 10k cad for living expense + 1 year tuition. But I’ll advise you have way more above that because of your family. You’ll need to show there’s money left for the rest of the family to live on.

4) It’s not compulsory but how can they know your capabilities and profile without seeing your CV? It’s advisable to attach a well written CV

Best wishes

BaesDiary:
Hello everyone. Thank you all for this beautiful thread. I have some questions, and it would be so appreciated if I can get answers.

My hubby, 34YRO, has M.Sc in Information Technology with 8 years relecant experience. I am 32 years old, i have M.Sc with a CGPA of 4.2 and CGPA of 4.3 in my B.Sc. I am employed, but in a completely different field entirely. I look forward to doing my PHD with full funding, and I am already compiling emails to send to prospective supervisors. However, I will like to migrate to Canada with my hubby and baby.

1.What do you think is the best route for us? Should we go through EE or PhD route through me?

2. If we are going through PHD route, what is the possibility of going with my family?

3. If going through scholarship route for PhD, what is the minimum amount of POF required?

4. Is it compulsory to attach CV when emailing supervisors?

Thank you all.

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 18 by lentomac: 5:20pm On Jan 01, 2021
Chocs:
BaesDiary

1) Your first option should be EE, use the CRS tool to simulate your score and see if you’ll reach the cut off for the last draw which was 468. You can google “CRS score tool Canada” and answer the questions to see your score. If you haven’t written IELTS yet just fill in any score (good marks) that you think you can achieve when you take the exam

2) one person can apply for a PhD first and take the others as dependents. So one partner can work while the other studies (my personal opinion)

3) Most PhDs come with funding from the institution. For your visa, it’s same POF required as with other study permit applications. 10k cad for living expense + 1 year tuition. But I’ll advise you have way more above that because of your family. You’ll need to show there’s money left for the rest of the family to live on.

4) It’s not compulsory but how can they know your capabilities and profile without seeing your CV? It’s advisable to attach a well written CV

Best wishes

If that’s not possible, you can consider

@BaesDiary

See the link below for Sample Academic CV & other PHD/Masters Admission resources
https://www.nairaland.com/5818588/canadian-student-visa-thread-part/111#90933556
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 18 by JosephYemsol(m): 5:24pm On Jan 01, 2021
BaesDiary:
Hello everyone. Thank you all for this beautiful thread. I have some questions, and it would be so appreciated if I can get answers.

My hubby, 34YRO, has M.Sc in Information Technology with 8 years relecant experience. I am 32 years old, i have M.Sc with a CGPA of 4.2 and CGPA of 4.3 in my B.Sc. I am employed, but in a completely different field entirely. I look forward to doing my PHD with full funding, and I am already compiling emails to send to prospective supervisors. However, I will like to migrate to Canada with my hubby and baby.

1.What do you think is the best route for us? Should we go through EE or PhD route through me?

2. If we are going through PHD route, what is the possibility of going with my family?

3. If going through scholarship route for PhD, what is the minimum amount of POF required?

4. Is it compulsory to attach CV when emailing supervisors?

Thank you all.

EE is d best...

If we have any individual that has Masters already... THE BEST BEST BEST ROUTE IS EE

With EE, one gets the same privilege as a citizen... Much cheaper study fees, etc...

For express entry, you only need to ace Ielts as long has one has masters, 3years experience...

2 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 18 by hairbyuj(f): 5:28pm On Jan 01, 2021
Thanks for the feedback I appreciate

lentomac:

To your 2nd question

Though you would see IELTS as part of the requirements for admission for MASTERS in Most Canadian Universities, but you are exempted cos you come from Nigeria (An English Speaking Country)

Check the link below for
Masters in Environmental Science Programs in Canada and google them
https://www.universitystudy.ca/search-programs/?k=Environmental+Science&program_level_merged=Master%27s+degree&program_language=ENGLISH

Also go through the contents in the link below for details on how to Process Masters Admission in Canada
https://www.nairaland.com/5818588/canadian-student-visa-thread-part/111#90933556
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 18 by AbionaT(f): 5:32pm On Jan 01, 2021
JosephYemsol:

You can surely go as a student first then eventually for the EE (express entry). But I would really emphasize on chocs advice... Just prepare for EE. Focus on Ielts first (LRSW = 8777) at least. You have a very good chance since both yourself and your husband have masters cert.

One you get the PR, you can then choose to study, the cost of this will be lesser since you will get the privileges of a citizen.

Pls, don't go for the adv dip...unless of course u have a genuine reason to switch careers.... Emphasis on the word "genuine"...

JosephYemsol thank you for your time and advise.
I'm trying to study the express entry now so that I can understand it very well, cos I don't know anything about it.
Honestly I want to switch career, and the course is Personal Support Worker (acute care), it's NBCC graduate diploma for fall 2021.
Pls what do you suggest I do now, I'm confused ooo.
Pls guru in the house help your friend.
Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 18 by Akannitommy: 5:35pm On Jan 01, 2021
Yes, but not in all cases so we shoud not generalize. Consider someone with 10 years work experience and 2 masters (not even one with one of those earned from the USA). But the person is 40 years old and the wife with a Bsc is over 37 years already, how would that assumption work? I think you can add a "caveat" to avoid unintended misinformation.

JosephYemsol:

EE is d best...

If we have any individual that has Masters already... THE BEST BEST BEST ROUTE IS EE

With EE, one gets the same privilege as a citizen... Much cheaper study fees, etc...

For express entry, you only need to ace Ielts as long has one has masters, 3years experience...

5 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 18 by fratermathy(m): 5:41pm On Jan 01, 2021
Uzomachukwu:

This is the most interesting, most exhaustive and (at least to for me) most useful landing gist I have read in this forum.

Thank you so much, Akanni, for making out the time to narrate your experience. You have given us so much important information in one post alone. I've read your post three times already and as well
taken screenshots of it. The luggage tips and other airport wahala you've so clearly detailed for us here are really going to come in handy when I eventually start my own journey.
----
Aah, IRCC! I never believed I could be waiting for BVL and final decision up till this time. Damn! It's 2021 and I'm still refreshing my GCKey account, searching for new update. This is perplexing, very.

No choice now than to order GCMS notes.

As a PhD student who has a 4.17 in undergrad (2015), a 5.0 in MA (Dec. 2019), several published academic papers and a Dean's fellowship (full funding: tuition waiver, living expenses of 22k CAD and option of Graduate Assistantship for extra cash not counted towards my funding package), I had thought that getting a study permit would be easy and fast. But, yeah, it's 6 months and 15 days now, and old boy is still anxiously refreshing his GCkey account. How so sad!

At this point, I'm even beginning to get mad at IRCC. But then, it's their country, and as they'll quickly remind you, study permit/visa is a privilege not a right. Still, it's all so sad!

I'm really sorry about your delay. I have been there and I know how terrible it feels to wait for IRCC to finalize your application. You have a strong profile. More than 90% of PhD applicants get approved (especially when they have funding). Continue sending reminders and webforms. You'll smile soon. Did you start online?

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 18 by Nobody: 5:45pm On Jan 01, 2021
OtunbaTee:
ON MONDAY YOU'LL GET YOUR PPR... IT WILL END IN PRAISE.

I just can't wait, bro. A full amen to this!

2 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 18 by Nobody: 5:48pm On Jan 01, 2021
awys:

Prophet Otunba has prophesied so shall it be.Otunba is our prophet here ooo grin grin grin grin

Smiles
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 18 by AbionaT(f): 5:50pm On Jan 01, 2021
Akannitommy:
Yes, but not in all cases so we shoud not generalize. Consider someone with 10 years work experience and 2 masters (not even one with one of those earned from the USA). But the person is 40 years old and the wife with a Bsc is over 37 years already, how would that assumption work? I think you can add a "caveat" to avoid unintended misinformation.

Akannitommy sir, so age is a huge factor here too?
Na wa oo
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 18 by iampaulsmith(m): 5:50pm On Jan 01, 2021
Woli OtunbaTee grin cheesy I tap into that prophecy too
OtunbaTee:
ON MONDAY YOU'LL GET YOUR PPR... IT WILL END IN PRAISE.

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 18 by fratermathy(m): 5:53pm On Jan 01, 2021
Uzomachukwu:

That might actually be the issue with my application. What is sad is that I actually checked with USask's International Students' Centre on two different occasions, and the advisors I Zoomed with both mentioned that with my funding, it wasn't necessary showing any other POF.

If only I had found Nairaland then!

Don't assume that it's over yet. My application was delayed for over 6 months before I got approval. Many fully funded students get approved without submitting their personal bank statements. The main issue is whether you established home ties well.

At any rate, you shouldn't worry until you have something concrete and I am hoping it's an approval.

2 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 18 by Nobody: 5:54pm On Jan 01, 2021
ayoadefantastic:
It will end in praise! I didn't even you are coming to usask.

Wow! Ayoede, you're in USask too? This indeed is fantastic. Now I've at least got a person there. I will be more than honoured to get your contact, bro. Let me DM you instantly.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 18 by Nobody: 5:59pm On Jan 01, 2021
Akannitommy:
It will. Your profile looks promising. Medical passed 2 weeks ago is a good sign. Am sure you will get BVL and PPR very soon.

That medical update of two weeks ago was actually what rekindled my hope. I really pray next week be fruitful. I will be the happiest man in the universe.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 18 by Nobody: 6:12pm On Jan 01, 2021
fratermathy:

I'm really sorry about your delay. I have been there and I know how terrible it feels to wait for IRCC to finalize your application. You have a strong profile. More than 90% of PhD applicants get approved (especially when they have funding). Continue sending reminders and webforms. You'll smile soon. Did you start online?

Thanks a lot, Fratermathy. I started online at first, just to have a taste of the pudding. But I later deferred to the Winter term after a week. Now as the new term begins on January 11, I'll have to committedly start online with others and then hopefully travel during the midterm break in February, that's if my permit is out by then.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 18 by mcobex: 6:21pm On Jan 01, 2021
hairbyuj:
Thanks for the support and feedback.

Will I accompany him? Or what do you suggest.

Plus are they school that wont require IELT for master in Environmental science. With low tuition.

Let him apply alone first while he uses you and the kids as his home-tie, once he gets his TRV he can apply for you guys to join him.
Yes there are schools that don't request for IELTS score from Nigerians. Let him search for schools offering his intended course and see their application requirements.
Good luck
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 18 by Nobody: 6:50pm On Jan 01, 2021
fratermathy:

Don't assume that it's over yet. My application was delayed for over 6 months before I got approval. Many fully funded students get approved without submitting their personal bank statements. The main issue is whether you established home ties well.

At any rate, you shouldn't worry until you have something concrete and I am hoping it's an approval.

Of course, everything is basically speculative for now. Until a concrete decision is given by IRCC, one can only but wait.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 18 by fratermathy(m): 6:51pm On Jan 01, 2021
Uzomachukwu:

Thanks a lot, Fratermathy. I started online at first, just to have a taste of the pudding. But I later deferred to the Winter term after a week. Now as the new term begins on January 11, I'll have to committedly start online with others and then hopefully travel during the midterm break in February, that's if my permit is out by then.

It's nice that your school has winter intake. You're going for a PhD in English, right?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 18 by Nobody: 7:04pm On Jan 01, 2021
fratermathy:

It's nice that your school has winter intake. You're going for a PhD in English, right?

Yeah, PhD in English. We don't really have Winter intake. I will only be joining those in my cohort from the Winter term up. The exception was made, I guess, because my funding for the first two years will be coming from outside the Department (that's, from the College of Graduate Studies). So the Department doesn't have to worry about providing funds for me until my 3rd and 4th year. But I'll expectedly be graduating a term after other members of my cohorts who started in the 2020 Fall term.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 18 by fratermathy(m): 7:12pm On Jan 01, 2021
Uzomachukwu:

Yeah, PhD in English. We don't really have Winter intake. I will only be joining those in my cohort from the Winter term up. The exception was made, I guess, because my funding for the first two years will be coming from outside the Department (that's, from the College of Graduate Studies). So the Department doesn't have to worry about providing funds for me until my 3rd and 4th year. But I'll expectedly be graduating a term after other members of my cohorts who started in the 2020 Fall term.

We should connect. I'll send you a pm.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 18 by davo99: 7:24pm On Jan 01, 2021
Thanks a lot, I am grateful
oladapo2020:

getgcms.com I have used it twice and they deliver within or before 30 days
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 18 by davo99: 7:25pm On Jan 01, 2021
Thanks a lot boss, I'm grateful
oladapo2020:

getgcms.com I have used it twice and they deliver within or before 30 days
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 18 by Callioge: 7:31pm On Jan 01, 2021
@Daygee i just got admission in cape breton university for post graduate diploma in business analytics for fall 2021. Happy new year house. Is there anyone going there this fall too. I intend to start my visa app February. Please I expect your response. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 18 by davo99: 7:34pm On Jan 01, 2021
Thank you so much, please I noticed 4 different (3k, 7.2k, 7.6k & 11k prices) options on the site, please, what's the best one to choose?
Salientjoe:

You can use thegcmsonline-dort-corm

I've used their service and I can attest that its faster comparably to caipsgcms. They will file your ATIP request the day you submit the consent form and send you a tracking number to that effect. Lastly, you get your note immediately they get it for you--this last point is crucial as I had to request my note from caipsgcms after almost exceeding 35days before they sent it to me and gave a flimsy excuse of just getting it that hour.
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 18 by NairaLuck: 7:35pm On Jan 01, 2021
Dameelee:
My guy....the quarantine no be here o
Oya drop your landing gist.

2 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 18 by davo99: 7:39pm On Jan 01, 2021
How many of us haven't logged into CIC since last year? grin Good good, keep it up.

2 Likes

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 18 by deommanuel: 7:56pm On Jan 01, 2021
davo99:
How many of us haven't logged into CIC since last year? grin Good good, keep it up.

Hahaha grin
I'm trying hard to wait until Monday. Or even check once a week.

1 Like

Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 18 by dayjeee(m): 7:58pm On Jan 01, 2021
Callioge:
@Daygee i just got admission in cape breton university for post graduate diploma in business analytics for fall 2021. Happy new year house. Is there anyone going there this fall too. I intend to start my visa app February. Please I expect your response. Thanks
congrats, let me dm you
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 18 by englois: 8:05pm On Jan 01, 2021
Uzomachukwu:

Hi
Is it possible to travel during the mid term break as you suggested? Please shed more light on this. I'm in a similar situation. Thanks
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 18 by WEIRDPC(m): 8:34pm On Jan 01, 2021
Is anyone resuming the winter 2021 semester in Windsor?
Re: Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 18 by owolabia: 9:03pm On Jan 01, 2021
WEIRDPC:
Is anyone resuming the winter 2021 semester in Windsor?

I'm Here But no approval yet after Medical request passed with AIP

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) ... (736)

Uk Student Visa/tier 4 Pbs - Your Questions Answered Part2 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 15 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.