Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,700 members, 7,816,865 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:02 PM

I Started My Generator & Switched On My Freezer & Stabilizer, Then This Happened - Phones (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / I Started My Generator & Switched On My Freezer & Stabilizer, Then This Happened (72018 Views)

Man Finally Caught The Person Who Made Nasty Comment On His Photo, This Happened / After 18days With The Iphone X And Iphone 7 I Switched Back To My Android. Fact# / Help! Infinix Note 4 Heats Up Easily With 3G Network Switched On (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Started My Generator & Switched On My Freezer & Stabilizer, Then This Happened by Risingsunn: 2:20pm On Dec 23, 2020
westlius:

Oil dey ur head
Let me explain something here
We use stabilizers for Nepa because most of there lights are either below or above 220mw and most electronics we have works well when on 220mw
Our generators are set already on 220mw, so no need to stabilise the current because its already stabilized by the gen
you are wrong tho.
Re: I Started My Generator & Switched On My Freezer & Stabilizer, Then This Happened by Mutemenot(m): 2:21pm On Dec 23, 2020
Uncharted56:
the cost is nothing compared to fuel you'll spend running 24/7 electricity, mine cost 380k solar is not that expensive just study it and know where to buy your materials from, also avoid tubular batteries if you can find a good deep cycle lead acid battery you are good to go

I have been using it for over 4 years. I know it's value and I do encourage people to do same but the prize should come along with such encouragement ... N380 can't give u a good solar system now. Check your mkt place
Re: I Started My Generator & Switched On My Freezer & Stabilizer, Then This Happened by Risingsunn: 2:24pm On Dec 23, 2020
joey150:

Give a reason? A valid electrical reason why you cannot use your stabilizer and generator?

I've used mine for five years now, not one problem.
You can argue that it is redundant, but I'll like to know why you think it spoils anything.
nothing stops you from connecting stabilizer to gen, absolutely nothing.
Re: I Started My Generator & Switched On My Freezer & Stabilizer, Then This Happened by ugwum007(m): 2:24pm On Dec 23, 2020
Rhaspody:

220volts or 220 megawatts?

So your generator can supply 220 mega watts. Thats 220 million watts .

Better edit your error. I know say na 220volts you wan write

If your generator can supply 20mw, your entire neighbor should not bother about nepa light again

1 Like

Re: I Started My Generator & Switched On My Freezer & Stabilizer, Then This Happened by Jeffy1206(m): 2:24pm On Dec 23, 2020
lovecares34:
You are not supposed to connect your freezer to a stabilizer while your Gen is on. That was the mistake u made. Next time, plug the freezer directly and not through a stabilizer.

exactly!
Re: I Started My Generator & Switched On My Freezer & Stabilizer, Then This Happened by Nobody: 2:25pm On Dec 23, 2020
Re: I Started My Generator & Switched On My Freezer & Stabilizer, Then This Happened by AFONJACOW(m): 2:25pm On Dec 23, 2020
Why snapping with that bag of rice ,u want to show off say unah don buy Christmas rice... Abeg go buy another chargers and stop disturbing us with this ur childish post
Re: I Started My Generator & Switched On My Freezer & Stabilizer, Then This Happened by Risingsunn: 2:26pm On Dec 23, 2020
So many people here are just typing rubbish. OMG. grin grin grin
Re: I Started My Generator & Switched On My Freezer & Stabilizer, Then This Happened by Raycelove: 2:30pm On Dec 23, 2020
Re: I Started My Generator & Switched On My Freezer & Stabilizer, Then This Happened by Nobody: 2:31pm On Dec 23, 2020
joey150:

Give a reason? A valid electrical reason why you cannot use your stabilizer and generator?

You can argue that it is redundant, but I'll like to know why you think it spoils anything.
Don't mind them, I had similar experience, everything got burned no stabilizer.
I have also use stabilizer with generator nothing happened.
The reasons could be many, but I don't know.
Re: I Started My Generator & Switched On My Freezer & Stabilizer, Then This Happened by NaMeAboki: 2:31pm On Dec 23, 2020
westlius:

Oil dey ur head
We use stabilizers for Nepa because most of there lights are either below or above 220mw and most electronics we have works well when on 220mw
Our generators are set already on 220mw, so no need to stabilise the current because its already stabilized by the gen

You are quite correct; however, there is nothing wrong in using a stabilizer together with an appliance on a generator, as long as that stabilizer is in perfect working condition; the only down side to such arrangement is that the stabilizer represents an additional unnecessary load on the generator - I have not bothered unplugging my numerous stabilizers whenever on any of my generators for many years, without a hitch; because I found the process of disconnecting and reconnection just too cumbersome.

@TOPIC:
OP should detect the problem by a process of elimination; he should reconnect the stabilizer to the freezer on the Gen, as before; if it works ok then he should suspect the fast charger (which in any case is already damaged) and vice versa.
Re: I Started My Generator & Switched On My Freezer & Stabilizer, Then This Happened by Raycelove: 2:34pm On Dec 23, 2020
AFONJACOW:
Why snapping with that bag of rice ,u want to show off say unah don buy Christmas rice... Abeg go buy another chargers and stop disturbing us with this ur childish post
Re: I Started My Generator & Switched On My Freezer & Stabilizer, Then This Happened by Nobody: 2:36pm On Dec 23, 2020
symbianDON:
based on what electrical principle exactly?? all these people up there saying, 'don't use stabilizers with generator', actually sound ridiculous! your stabilizer is simply an electrical device that steps up or steps down electrical voltage so as to protect your appliances from damage. stabilizers themselves DON'T consume electricity. if your generator is good and your stabilizer is good absolutely NOTHING will happen if used together.
You really need a bottle of cold beer for this, so many hard nuts on NAIRALAND.

1 Like

Re: I Started My Generator & Switched On My Freezer & Stabilizer, Then This Happened by Lomprico2: 2:38pm On Dec 23, 2020
Raycelove:
We on our generator to freeze the items kept in the freezer, we connected stabilizer with the freezer, this was our first time of connecting stab with freezer.

So the hell mistake I made was removing my phone from the original charger and charging it with an infinix fast charger, after plugging the phone , the generator level went high and the fast charger got burnt the original charger, my sister laptop charger got burnt , bulbs got burnt.

We were lucky not to on our televisions and other valuables. We off the gen and on it again without the freezer on and the sound and motion went back to normal.

So what caused the change in level of the generator and what led to the damages of laptop charger, bulbs and chargers??

never use stabilizer with generator.
Re: I Started My Generator & Switched On My Freezer & Stabilizer, Then This Happened by adedayourt(m): 2:42pm On Dec 23, 2020
Raycelove:
We on our generator to freeze the items kept in the freezer, we connected stabilizer with the freezer, this was our first time of connecting stab with freezer.

So the hell mistake I made was removing my phone from the original charger and charging it with an infinix fast charger, after plugging the phone , the generator level went high and the fast charger got burnt the original charger, my sister laptop charger got burnt , bulbs got burnt.

We were lucky not to on our televisions and other valuables. We off the gen and on it again without the freezer on and the sound and motion went back to normal.

So what caused the change in level of the generator and what led to the damages of laptop charger, bulbs and chargers??

The reason you experienced such is because of the stabilizer you plugged with it.

Here is why.

Most Stabilizers only increase current rather than stabilizing it in actual sense. Observed you wont experience that when you plug with NEPA source.

So when you used the stab with gen(assuming a 2.5kva now), the gen will try to boost the gen beyond its normal output capacity thereby overworking the gen and when the output is increased few gadget gets damaged.

In my case, no gadget got damaged but the gen itself after a long time of overworking
Re: I Started My Generator & Switched On My Freezer & Stabilizer, Then This Happened by logic102(m): 2:43pm On Dec 23, 2020
EXLOVER:
I have use generator for 15years, that incident was caused by the charger, they are some fake charger you plug to an extension there will be a bridge of current between the extension and the charger, immediately you plug the charger the Gen will be jerking like a girl that wants to cum, just toward that charger, another that causes that is when NEPA and gen collide. But nothing will happen to your Gen.

That is not the cause... When u have a bridge current, it won't lead to high voltage...this is my seven years as an electrician.
Re: I Started My Generator & Switched On My Freezer & Stabilizer, Then This Happened by logic102(m): 2:44pm On Dec 23, 2020
adedayourt:

The reason you experienced such is because of the stabilizer you plugged with it.

Here is why.

Most Stabilizers only increase current rather than stabilizing it in actual sense. Observed you wont experience that when you plug with NEPA source.

So when you used the stab with gen(assuming a 2.5kva now), the gen will try to boost the gen beyond its normal output capacity thereby overworking the gen and when the output is increased few gadget gets damaged.

In my case, no gadget got damaged but the gen itself after a long time of overworking

So na the stabilizer affect the bulb too...
You are wrong sir
Re: I Started My Generator & Switched On My Freezer & Stabilizer, Then This Happened by faebenezer5star: 2:46pm On Dec 23, 2020
It is not advisable to use stabilizer with generator, generator current is not a current you stabilize
Re: I Started My Generator & Switched On My Freezer & Stabilizer, Then This Happened by logic102(m): 2:47pm On Dec 23, 2020
Check first if your generator is using a capacitor or Avr(automatic voltage regulator)
Re: I Started My Generator & Switched On My Freezer & Stabilizer, Then This Happened by openmine(m): 2:49pm On Dec 23, 2020
The main function of the voltage stabilizer is to maintain a constant current flow to your appliances in order for them not to be blown up due to a surge or sudden increase in voltage!
Call on your generator mechanic to check and ensure the generator is within its normal output of 220-230V...…If not,the mechanic can reduce its voltage output!
@OP...Even if you don't use the stabilizer for the generator source as folks are randomly advising, your appliances will still get burnt if there is a surge in voltage from your generator and i wont advise that a device or equipment should be connected directly to a generator source without protection!
Re: I Started My Generator & Switched On My Freezer & Stabilizer, Then This Happened by numtums(m): 2:49pm On Dec 23, 2020
Raycelove:

Ok . how will i know if a charger is original?
1. Weight
2. Brand
3. If the port is tight or weak
Re: I Started My Generator & Switched On My Freezer & Stabilizer, Then This Happened by openmine(m): 2:50pm On Dec 23, 2020
logic102:
Check first if your generator is using a capacitor or Avr(automatic voltage regulator)
A generator source cant work properly without an AVR
Re: I Started My Generator & Switched On My Freezer & Stabilizer, Then This Happened by elisho: 2:51pm On Dec 23, 2020
so what do you want me to do my friend go and get another one
Re: I Started My Generator & Switched On My Freezer & Stabilizer, Then This Happened by BluntTheApostle(m): 2:52pm On Dec 23, 2020
Raycelove:

Your Infinix fast charger is obviously to blame.

First of all, phone chargers that use fast charge technology rely on hardware compatibility. Your phone is obviously not compatible with the Infinix charger.

Second, the Infinix charger is not your phone's original charger. When you use incorrect chargers for your phone, they can cause either of two things.

1. Magnetic fields which can cause electricity spikes. Supposing this was the case, it is the reason why your generator's power spiked when you plugged in your phone with the Infinix charger.

2. Using an incorrect charger can cause your phone to receive too little or too much power. Due to these flunctuations, the main power source would force a spike which can damage every electrical appliances directly plugged in.

Next time, get a solid surge protector, and plug your appliances into them next time.

And please, never use fast chargers. They require hardware compatibility. And not many people know if a fast charger is compatible with their phones.

Also, fast chargers damage batteries. You just need to do away with them, and work on being more patient.

Better a slow charge, than a fast one that causes problems in the future.

2 Likes

Re: I Started My Generator & Switched On My Freezer & Stabilizer, Then This Happened by iboboyswag(m): 2:55pm On Dec 23, 2020
westlius:

Oil dey ur head

Please change that MW to V... That unit is wrong

1 Like

Re: I Started My Generator & Switched On My Freezer & Stabilizer, Then This Happened by Burgerlomo: 2:58pm On Dec 23, 2020
doggedfighter:
That Amazon charger there is trash .

Send that bag of rice here. I want to check something.

I hear you Miss or Mrs examiner who wants to check something inside a full bag of rice, also don't forget to request for a soup ingredients to make your work easier. cool

Re: I Started My Generator & Switched On My Freezer & Stabilizer, Then This Happened by chrisxxx(m): 3:02pm On Dec 23, 2020
lovecares34:
You are not supposed to connect your freezer to a stabilizer while your Gen is on. That was the mistake u made. Next time, plug the freezer directly and not through a stabilizer.

The number of likes this your suggestion has gathered showed the level of ignoramus we have in this country. You might not have been once in science class let alone being an electrical engineer.
There is no problem using stabilizer with generator. As the name implies, Stabilizers stabilize the voltage output. Stabilizers are designed to come with AVR(Automatic Voltage Regulator). It regulates the amount of voltage it gives out no matter the input and provided that the input voltage is within the capacity limit of the stabilizer.
The problem here is the generator.
The engine has what we call governor. It regulates the speed of the generator. When it is not set properly or has problem it could rise with increase in applied load.
To guide against this the electrical side being the alternator also comes with AVR. This is to regulate voltage output in case the governor has problem.
To trouble shoot on this, there is need for a competent person to look at the governor and AVR to detect the exact problem.
Let us say what we know.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Started My Generator & Switched On My Freezer & Stabilizer, Then This Happened by femi4: 3:07pm On Dec 23, 2020
joey150:

Don't mind them, no scientific explanation
Re: I Started My Generator & Switched On My Freezer & Stabilizer, Then This Happened by arsenal444(m): 3:07pm On Dec 23, 2020
The only thing am seeing over there is that Bag of Rice. is it real let me check it
Re: I Started My Generator & Switched On My Freezer & Stabilizer, Then This Happened by stanisbaratheon: 3:08pm On Dec 23, 2020
Connecting Generator and stabilizer is the reason.
Re: I Started My Generator & Switched On My Freezer & Stabilizer, Then This Happened by blackmantis: 3:14pm On Dec 23, 2020
MrHighSea:
Everybody keep saying never marry generator and stabilizer, nobody can say why.

There's actually nothing wrong with that, google please.

I use 5000w wall mounted stabilizer at the mains.
As in, everything in the house, from bulb, chargers and freezer are connected to the stabilizer when NEPA or generator is on.

The only cons is on the generator, and its not much. just a little minus in efficiency. I calculated the power demand in the house and its far below the power rated on the generator.

It's Science, not myth.

Superstition and tradition superceeds science in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: I Started My Generator & Switched On My Freezer & Stabilizer, Then This Happened by sammysmiles(m): 3:19pm On Dec 23, 2020
Wiseandtrue:

I don dey hear about this stabilizer+generator thing tey tey oooo

Experience is the best teacher, at least I gained from your wealth of experience today

Lesson learnt: don't plug your freezer on your stabilizer when using the generator!!!
All this are jxt lies.... In my house here,,,,, we use Gen with the freezer working with stabilizer...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

How To Activate Airtel Double Data Offer <<read More>> / How To Stop Whatsapp From Connecting To The Internet All The Time / Lady's Infinix Hot 4 Explodes In Her Pocket, Causes Burns On Her Leg. PICS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.