Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,055 members, 7,818,159 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:11 AM

Tinubu Demands Release Of Acn Candidate In Akwa Ibom - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tinubu Demands Release Of Acn Candidate In Akwa Ibom (7192 Views)

Tinubu Demands Apology From Saraki, Dogara On National Dailies - Vanguard / AIT Replies Tinubu, Demands N100bn Damage / Tinubu Demands Oil Wells/Ministerial Slots From Buhari - National Daily (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tinubu Demands Release Of Acn Candidate In Akwa Ibom by Rhino5dm: 2:22am On Mar 28, 2011
Bola Tinubu

Former governor of Lagos State, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu, yesterday demanded the immediate release of the Akwa Ibom State Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) governorship candidate in next month’s election, John James Udoedehe who is in police custody.

Senior lawyers also faulted the arrest of Udoedehe who they said was a victim of attack by supporters of the ruling party in the state while some Senior Advocates of Nigeria (SAN) have volunteer to storm Abuja on Monday to defend him against the treason charges.

Back in Uyo, the state Chairman of the party, Chief Aniekan Akpan raised an alarm over alleged plans by the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) government to instigate his arrest and the deputy governorship candidate, Dr. Ime Umanah

An Abuja Federal High Court had on Friday last week ordered the former minister of the Federal Capital Territory to be kept in police custody over a four-count charge of treason.

The ACN candidate was alleged to have conspired with others now at large to attack the convoy of Governor Godswill Akpabio in parts of the state last week.

Tinubu spoke in Ilorin, the Kwara State capital yesterday when the ACN presidential campaign train visited the state.

Tinubu stated that the arrest of opponents by the ruling Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) government on the eve of the elections is not consistent with the rule of law.

He urged all youths in the country to resist tyranny in any guise, adding “you cannot achieve freedom and liberty free of charge.

“Intimidation and persecution of political opponents is unacceptable and must not be condoned,” he added.

His words: “This government is not a government of the people by the people and for the people. It is a government of the greedy by the greedy and for the greedy. It is a government that believes it can win election through foul means. It is a government that does not care about the welfare of the officers and men of the Nigeria police force. It is a people deceiving government.”

“Kidnapping was unknown in the country in those days but now it has become commonplace. Up till now there has not been any clue to bring to book all politically motivated killings in Nigeria in the last 12years. Army robbers now hold the country by the jugular.

“There is no difference between former President Olusegun Obasanjo and President Goodluck Jonathan, as both of them are stubborn. The PDP government has in the last 12 years promised uninterrupted power supply but to no avail. This has grounded all commercial activities in the country.

“In the last 12years also all our children have become WAEC failures, but their children are in the best schools abroad. Now, Nigerian children seek admission in Togo and Benin Republic.”

The ex-governor, who referred to the PDP as “Poverty Development Party”, added that tears, anguish and blood have trailed PDP campaign rallies in the country.

He told the large crowd of party members, supporters and faithful to gird their loins for the battle to emancipate Kwarans.

“The battle ahead is that of freedom and it can only be done not by violence but by voting for the right party at next month’s polls. It is a fight to free self from poverty. Therefore, I urge you all to guard your votes jealously by making sure that this thieving government is voted out of office.

Also speaking, the ACN Presidential candidate, Mallam Nuhu Ribadu urged Kwarans to use brooms to sweep away the thieving government of PDP.

The ACN chairman, Chief Bisi Akande, officially presented Mohammed Dele Belgore as the governorship candidate of the party in the state.

While reacting to the arrest of the ACN candidate, Constitutional lawyer, Professor Itse Sagay (SAN), said the ACN candidate couldn’t be sued for treason.

Sagay pointed out that treason is an offence against the state, particularly attempts to overthrow the government through an unconditional means noting that what happened in Akwa Ibom was violence which at best is arson.

“The IGP is showing Nigerians that he is partisan. It is a political charge aimed at keeping the ACN candidate in custody so that the governor and the ruling PDP can have a field day during the election”.

Lagos lawyer, Mr Femi Falana, also said that there was no element of treason in the alleged charge and argued that it was a case of election violence which was provided under the Electoral Act.

According to Falana, even if the offence as alleged by the police has to do with illegal attempt to remove the government of Akwa Ibom, the alleged offence can’t be tried by the Federal Territory High Court.

In a statement issued yesterday by Chief Akpan, the party Chairman said the planned arrest of the party officials was part of efforts by the PDP in the state to stop the state-wide campaign of the ACN and deny the party’s candidates the opportunity of reaching out to the electorate before the elections.

“We have intelligence report that the PDP’s next move is to implicate Dr. Umanah and me in political violence and get us behind bars between now and the elections,” Akpan said.

http://thenationonlineng.net/web3/news/31954.html
Re: Tinubu Demands Release Of Acn Candidate In Akwa Ibom by EzeUche(m): 2:24am On Mar 28, 2011
Tinubu does not hold sway in this region of Nigeria. The good people of Akwa Ibom state do not take kindly to those who interfere in their internal affairs.
Re: Tinubu Demands Release Of Acn Candidate In Akwa Ibom by ektbear: 2:30am On Mar 28, 2011
Well said, Tinubu.
Re: Tinubu Demands Release Of Acn Candidate In Akwa Ibom by EzeUche(m): 2:33am On Mar 28, 2011
ekt_bear:

Well said, Tinubu.

Tinubu's voice will be heard on deaf ears. This is not the SW he is talking to, this is the East. There is a lot of hostility towards ACN in many states in the East.
Re: Tinubu Demands Release Of Acn Candidate In Akwa Ibom by ektbear: 2:39am On Mar 28, 2011
^-- But not in Akwa Ibom, where it appears the ACN is strong :]
Re: Tinubu Demands Release Of Acn Candidate In Akwa Ibom by TNUBU4LIFE: 2:40am On Mar 28, 2011
Baba ni yen,oko pdp(the pdp tamer)

He is very intelligent,courageous and purposeful.

He is consistent and extremely hardworking.Like Awo,he opposes the conservative politics,he is very comfortable with intellectuals and a head-hunter for young acheivers!!

It is a shame that while pdp locked up its opponent,they are busy campaigning!(I saw akpabio with a scanty field campaigning on tv yesterday while he facilitated the arrest of his opponent!)
Re: Tinubu Demands Release Of Acn Candidate In Akwa Ibom by ektbear: 2:41am On Mar 28, 2011
And tbh. . . where on earth would this hostility in "the East" towards the ACN come from?

I'm very curious to find out the reasons. . . . .
Re: Tinubu Demands Release Of Acn Candidate In Akwa Ibom by EzeUche(m): 2:41am On Mar 28, 2011
ekt_bear:

^-- But not in Akwa Ibom, where it appears the ACN is strong :]

The governor of Akwa Ibom has developed the state in many ways. Even though he is corrupt, the man still gets work done. Take a trip to the state and you will see many states in Nigeria cannot even compare to the level of development that has been seen in that state.
Re: Tinubu Demands Release Of Acn Candidate In Akwa Ibom by TNUBU4LIFE: 2:42am On Mar 28, 2011
VOTE RIBADU FOR PRESIDENT AND SWEEP AWAY THE AKPABIOS!!

RIBADU IS YOUNG AND CAPABLE!
Re: Tinubu Demands Release Of Acn Candidate In Akwa Ibom by Chyz2: 2:45am On Mar 28, 2011
Makes no sense to arrest the opposition candidate. This repetitive act of political sabotage through the arrest of the governor's opposition candidates is played out. Let the playing field be fair.
Re: Tinubu Demands Release Of Acn Candidate In Akwa Ibom by Chyz2: 2:46am On Mar 28, 2011
TNUBU4LIFE:

VOTE RIBADU FOR PRESIDENT AND SWEEP AWAY THE AKPABIOS!!

RIBADU IS YOUNG AND CAPABLE!

I bet you know not a damn thing about Gov. Akpabio. undecided
Re: Tinubu Demands Release Of Acn Candidate In Akwa Ibom by ektbear: 2:48am On Mar 28, 2011
Chyz*:

Makes no sense to arrest the opposition candidate. This repetitive act of political sabotage through the arrest of the governor's opposition candidates is played out. Let the playing field be fair.

Well said.
Re: Tinubu Demands Release Of Acn Candidate In Akwa Ibom by TNUBU4LIFE: 2:53am On Mar 28, 2011
There is no hostility for the ACN anywhere!!Dont mind all these unwholesome propagandas,a party that is making inroads into the east and suddenly threatening the original pdp/apga landlords of the east would sure experience resistance!!The fact that ACN is parading some serious notable igbo sons and daughters on its platform is an indication that the party is not as unpopular in the east as they lie to make us belief!!No serious nigerian politician like Ararume,Ngige etc will spend their time,resources,energy etc on a political platform that is resisted or hated by your would-be voters!

People should pls speak their prejudiced heart instead of lying that their prejudiced views represent the view of their people!!Even,in the 1999 election,AD-the forebear of ACN,won some seats and heaven did not fall,if it can happen then,it is still possible.
kai,people can lie on nairaland!!

VOTE RIBADU 2011
Re: Tinubu Demands Release Of Acn Candidate In Akwa Ibom by Rhino5dm: 2:54am On Mar 28, 2011
EzeUche:

Tinubu's voice will be heard on deaf ears. This is not the SW he is talking to, this is the East SS. There is a lot of hostility towards ACN in many states in the East.
^^^ corrected! stop claiming what does not belong to you.

BTW Do you know what they call igbos in Akwa Ibom??
Re: Tinubu Demands Release Of Acn Candidate In Akwa Ibom by TNUBU4LIFE: 2:57am On Mar 28, 2011
@ CHYZ,I know him to be extremely intolerant of the opposition,that the uyo people belief he brought kidnapping and assasination to the state,that he is,like gbenga daniel,fighting with all his past political benfactors and lastly, he is going to lose the next election!
Re: Tinubu Demands Release Of Acn Candidate In Akwa Ibom by ektbear: 2:59am On Mar 28, 2011
ekt_bear:

And tbh. . . where on earth would this hostility in "the East" towards the ACN come from?

I'm very curious to find out the reasons. . . . .

I wonder what Uche's answer to this will be
Re: Tinubu Demands Release Of Acn Candidate In Akwa Ibom by ektbear: 3:55am On Mar 28, 2011
Doesn't look like I'll get a response.

We know what that means grin
Re: Tinubu Demands Release Of Acn Candidate In Akwa Ibom by sbeezy8: 4:02am On Mar 28, 2011
for a party thats seen as "tribal" ACN is really out there across the country.

PDPS biggest threat is ACN on the senate,govs,reps level- everywhere you hear ACN candidates benue, kano,sokoto,delta alwa ibom etc

i could def see them winning a presidency in 2015 or so . . .
Re: Tinubu Demands Release Of Acn Candidate In Akwa Ibom by Demdem(m): 8:59am On Mar 28, 2011
Wonders shall never end.
I thought the goverment claimed that this guy is under investigation. Are they not through with it yet?
Deceitfull Govt.
Re: Tinubu Demands Release Of Acn Candidate In Akwa Ibom by juman(m): 11:13am On Mar 28, 2011
The IG should respond to the demand of Asiwaju Tinubu and release the ACN candidate immediately.

The ACN chairman, Chief Bisi Akande, officially presented Mohammed Dele Belgore as the governorship candidate of the party in the state.

People of Kwara State, ACN is the answer. ACN is the solution.

ACN = True freedom. ACN = Development. ACN = Success. ACN = Happiness.

Vote ACN candidates.

Vote Mr. Mohammed Dele Belgore and all other candidates. They will certainly not disappoint you. They will surely deliver.

ACN is the answer.
Re: Tinubu Demands Release Of Acn Candidate In Akwa Ibom by eros(m): 12:31pm On Mar 28, 2011
Gov. Akpabio is a coward who cannot withstand the opposition. Take it or leave it, he is vacating the government house after the Governship election, because ACN is taking over. Kapish.
Re: Tinubu Demands Release Of Acn Candidate In Akwa Ibom by paddymo(m): 1:13pm On Mar 28, 2011
[b]all of the ACN,  it doesnt matter the post you are aspiring for or the candidate you support,  what matters is you,  who will Govern you. who will make Nigeria a better place and who will think of how we can change for better,  im not a supporter of any party but i stand for fairness, justice and sincerity,  ACN candidate is under police custody. Agreed. but do you ask your self "y" have you thought of konwing what led to his arrest? lets be our brothers keeper, ]

Am not for the Akpabios(PDP) and neither am i for Senator Udoedehe(ACN),  what i know is that you can not govern well when you had kill and destroy  lives and properties, 

imaging this.   PDP supporters deliberately lock the venue of  Udoedehe (ACN gubernatorial candidate ),  campaign. this is because they don't want ACN. in Akpabio's Senatorial district, and because its and ANNANG land Where akpabio comes from.(this is very bad. it shows that PDP is not strong to face oponent)  ACN supporters out of anger, came back to the state capital (IBIBIO LAND)  where Akpabio(PDP gubernatorial candidate) has his posters and banners well coloured and destroy Them.

If it was the posters and banner, i will not say anything. what on earth happened that they have to destroy innocent peoples cars, over 80 government vehicles,  houses and even President Johnathan campaign house.  the most annoying part is a school that has nothing to do with politics. imagine that! destroying properties worth 200 million naira. this is foolishness.

ACN must answer and repair everything they destroy in the state capital because they cant govern in violence. i really want him release so that we can vote for the right person. 
[/b]
Re: Tinubu Demands Release Of Acn Candidate In Akwa Ibom by omo9ja1(m): 1:26pm On Mar 28, 2011
well said Asiwaju smiley
Re: Tinubu Demands Release Of Acn Candidate In Akwa Ibom by Nobody: 1:40pm On Mar 28, 2011
I believe this is done by pdp to keep the guy out of circulation till after the election.
Re: Tinubu Demands Release Of Acn Candidate In Akwa Ibom by Nobody: 2:04pm On Mar 28, 2011
Now wey him don talk am,make him go release am now! Abi na just to stay for lagos state dey make mouth? The guy dey smell his ass for Abuja force HQ.Tinubu should go and release him if he is not released.
Re: Tinubu Demands Release Of Acn Candidate In Akwa Ibom by ektbear: 2:05pm On Mar 28, 2011
Sai ACN

Man this "Sai" word is pretty catchy grin
Re: Tinubu Demands Release Of Acn Candidate In Akwa Ibom by MaiSuya(m): 2:29pm On Mar 28, 2011
Na wa O! the lenght to whihc despertation is putting the is truly mind buggling.

A similar case occurred in Benue recently, first with the assassination attempt on Gen Onoja who is contesting on the ACN platform against PDP's David Mark, then there was the assassination of his ADC by some youths loyal to PDP.

Like the Akwa Ibom case, the police has been egregiously partisan, coming up with all sorts of really weird excuses why they can't apprehend the suspect, a known PDP thug.
Re: Tinubu Demands Release Of Acn Candidate In Akwa Ibom by JACUBA: 2:35pm On Mar 28, 2011
I condemn in totality the recent killings and destruction of property in Akwa Ibom State. This election is not worth the blood of any Akwa Ibomite. For Gov. Akpabio's disciples to stop Sen. Udoedeghe's campaign in Ikot Ekpene is not worth killing anybody and destroying any property in Akwa Ibom State. Akwa Ibom belongs to all of us. When I supposed the era of thuggery and rigging is fading away while sanity is gradually gaining its roots into the electoral system, why WILL Akwa Ibom be different from other states?. I feel very sad about this happenings in my state. I must confess that Gov. Godswill Akpabio has done very well in Akwa Ibom. Why can't we join hands together with him and make Akwa Ibom a greater state? Gov. Akpabio will not stay there for life and trust me the next four years is almost here. Please I urge everyone to stop all these violence and let's have a peaceful election in Akwa Ibom State. If GOv. Akpabio succeeds again, good and fine. He will continue with his good works, but if another person wins, the person should be prepared to transform Akwa Ibom more than what Gov. Akpabio has done and not to drag us backward.
Re: Tinubu Demands Release Of Acn Candidate In Akwa Ibom by Guyman02: 2:57pm On Mar 28, 2011
JACUBA:

[b]I condemn in totality the recent killings and destruction of property in Akwa Ibom State. This election is not worth the blood of any Akwa Ibomite.[/b] For Gov. Akpabio's disciples to stop Sen. Udoedeghe's campaign in Ikot Ekpene is not worth killing anybody and destroying any property in Akwa Ibom State. Akwa Ibom belongs to all of us. When I supposed the era of thuggery and rigging is fading away while sanity is gradually gaining its roots into the electoral system, why WILL Akwa Ibom be different from other states?. I feel very sad about this happenings in my state. I must confess that Gov. Godswill Akpabio has done very well in Akwa Ibom. Why can't we join hands together with him and make Akwa Ibom a greater state? Gov. Akpabio will not stay there for life and trust me the next four years is almost here. Please I urge everyone to stop all these violence and let's have a peaceful election in Akwa Ibom State. If GOv. Akpabio succeeds again, good and fine. He will continue with his good works, but if another person wins, the person should be prepared to transform Akwa Ibom more than what Gov. Akpabio has done and not to drag us backward.

You are correct @bolded
The fact is that ACN doesnt have valid points of under performance against Akpabio, therefore they are trying hard to whip up tribal sentiments of Anang vs Ibibio. Also its clear that Akpabio sited more projects in Ibibio land than his Anang constituency, something that Victor Attah could not do.
ACN in Akwa-Ibom just like in Rivers are short of campaign promises to make because Rotimi Amaechi and Akpabio are great performers in the mold of Fashola.
Tinubu should concentrate on other states and leave Akwaibom and Rivers if project delivery is a criteria in this elections
Re: Tinubu Demands Release Of Acn Candidate In Akwa Ibom by kufreabasi(m): 3:26pm On Mar 28, 2011
Let Tinubu allows Akwa Ibom politic be. It is not Lagos politics he takes to be his family affair. Let him arrange hi house in order and leave Akwa Ibom alone.

Both aspirants suppose to be prosecuted, not just one person because those guys have committed a lot of havosc and artrocities in that state.
Re: Tinubu Demands Release Of Acn Candidate In Akwa Ibom by Abagworo(m): 3:31pm On Mar 28, 2011
Guyman02:

ACN in Akwa-Ibom just like in Rivers are short of campaign promises to make because Rotimi Amaechi and Akpabio are great performers in the mold of Fashola.

Comparing Amaechi with Akpabio is like comparing Christ with satan.ACN even campaigned in Amaechi's hometown and all across Rivers State no poster or billboard was removed.The opposition in Rivers State are free to campaign as much as they can because Amaechi performed creditably and everyone resident in Rivers knows this.

Akpabio did well infrastructurally but banning the opposition from entering his senatorial zone shows his popularity is no doubt questionable.
Re: Tinubu Demands Release Of Acn Candidate In Akwa Ibom by Novice1(m): 3:37pm On Mar 28, 2011
“In the last 12years also all our[color=#990000][/color] children have become WAEC failures, but their children are in the best schools abroad. Now, Nigerian children seek admission in Togo and Benin Republic.”

I am neither PDP nor ACN, but somebody please tell me, WHERE ARE TINUBU'S CHILDREN SCHOOLING?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Ekiti Workers Shun Meeting With Fayose, Insist On Strike / Partake In This Weekly Politics/general Knowledge Quiz Competition To Win N,5000 / Apc People Won't Like This Picture Of Donald Trump And Yemi Osinbajo.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.