Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,511 members, 7,819,846 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:58 AM

I Regret Going To The University - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / I Regret Going To The University (35676 Views)

I Regret Going To School. Wish My Parents Listened To Me / Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? / 6 Celebrities Who Regret Going For Plastic Surgery (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Regret Going To The University by tunjijones(m): 8:59pm On Dec 30, 2020
Re: I Regret Going To The University by TruthSeeker1: 9:00pm On Dec 30, 2020
twizz4u:
lol, They are in Nigeria,Mikel obi, wizkid olamide, seun osewa..

The truth really is that for every single dropout who is legally successful in Nigeria, there would be at least a hundred graduates who are successful!

6 Likes

Re: I Regret Going To The University by Zeeknow3245(m): 9:05pm On Dec 30, 2020
I don't know Why this is partly true because most Leaders in society are either Secondary school graduates or primary school leaving certificate

4 Likes

Re: I Regret Going To The University by GidiCars: 9:49pm On Dec 30, 2020
Biggie225:
The education system, that is supposed to teach young people fundamental facts and skills in order to allow them to deal properly with reality, is unfortunately also heavily used to indoctrinate the young to be passive, to not question authority, and to trust the government and their experts on TV without question.

The education system is often used as a filter to weed out the free-thinkers, rebels, “unconventionals” and promote the passive, conventional and compliant ones to the next level.

Students are compelled to believe everything the teacher says, without verification. The words of the education system became the guiding truth for youngsters. Usually, schools have unwritten rules regarding specific subjects that cannot be discussed. Some topics are illogically labeled as vulgar or foolish, and those who have interest in those subjects are often publicly ridiculed.

They condition student to believe that failure to submit to the system will have serious consequences. No employment, poverty, and no future.

Also, the quality of education that is available to the lower social classes is reduced most of the time, which contributes to a gradual increase in the gap that exists between lower classes and the elite.
Like Most popular and wealthy figures such as zukernberg,jark Dorsey,Bezos,cRonaldo ,Messi ,micheal Jordan,Micheal jackson ,and maradona etc. Non of these figures can boast of university degree.but they had the courage to pursue their path to greatness with their natural instinct.Today all are legends in their own path.
Education is overrated

Ever since realize that life has no central formular or rules. I created the life I want and with apologies.
Bleep the world and Discover yourself.

School is not scam o, it's the education system in nigeria and most of Africa that is a sham. They are mostly degree awarding institutions and nothing else. I don't have time to write long story but know this, most things you use in your daily lives are facilitated by those who studied and did research based on what they learned in school. From the vaccines you hear about, to the mobile phones you see, aeroplanes you see, sky scrappers and many other things. If you look underground of anything in advanced societies, the brains behind them are mostly scholars, not illiterates. Nigeria is a dysfunctional society, so you can't compare to advanced countries such as Japan, south Korea, Canada etc.

Also, the people who control the world economics, both locally and internationally are people who went to school. That's why no matter how successful you're as a business person or whatever, an idiot with a degree can implement a policy and ruin everything for you. Your money would not always work for you.

Do whatever works for you, but school is not a scam.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Regret Going To The University by mariahAngel(f): 10:03pm On Dec 30, 2020
ostechno:

Education is not necessarily schooling, infact schooling is just a small part of education. We are in the age where schooling is less effective for self development. In school, students are made to compete for grades, the schooling system 100 years ago is still thesame as today, Every other things have changed, did you know people have different way of learning, some prefer learning when they are alone, some learn buy drawing, some people won't understand what they read in a book untill they watch videos, some learn by commiting themselves to practicals only, but school has always remain thesame, go to classroom, the lecturer teach all students who has different convinient way of learn thesame way, in the end, you get thesame exam for grading, some will fail, some will pass excellently. The way people are being lectured in school today doesn't help student discover themselves, they put that fear in you and limit you to only what you're being taught. A while ago when I was in secondary school, the teacher gave us an exam, he asked us "what are some examples of tools used for 'something'", I gave him the answers of the tools I've learned by myself online, and he marked me wrong, because he didn't know about it. Don't let what you're taught in school limit you, self discovery is what matters the most.
When I was in 100 level, our lecturer asked us to give examples of Operation System in CPE 101 class, the someone said Android OS, and the lecturer asked, is Android an OS?, I said to myself WOW, these lecturers are outdated. These people live in 19th century.
Alot of thing have changed but they don't know, new things are being invented everyday, if you limit yourself to what you're taught in school, you can never invent any good. Please use the available tools (most especially the internet) to discover yourself, you'll be surprised how the wold is changing.
Another thing about student who limit themselves to school is that "they are not good decision makers", students can't come up with original ideas again. Don't be surprise the exams you write is affecting student, the teacher choose for you, they choose the questions they give you, you're made to choose answers from objective questions, is it A, or B, or C or D. students are not allowed to come up with original thought again, they're made to choose, things would be worse now that most university wants to start making all exams CBT, all the questions would be objective. This alone affects student's ability to make decision In real-time.
All I'm going to say is don't limit yourself to what they teach you in school, everything is changing.
At the moment the world is even better off without the current schooling system. That's why I love Finland so much, the have the best schooling system in the world but it's still not good enough
To me, the internet is the new universities the and it can be a source of 90% of what you'll ever learn, 90 percent of the things I know today is not what I learned from school, its the power of the internet.
Peace

Oh my!

What can I give you for this insightful comment?
Permission to post it on my WhatsApp status.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Regret Going To The University by ostechno(m): 10:10pm On Dec 30, 2020
mariahAngel:

Oh my!

What can I give you for this insightful comment?
Permission to post it on my WhatsApp status.
Why not, you're free to post anywhere

3 Likes

Re: I Regret Going To The University by mariahAngel(f): 10:15pm On Dec 30, 2020
ostechno:

Why not, you're free to post anywhere

I already did.

Blessed are those who read it. cheesy

3 Likes

Re: I Regret Going To The University by ostechno(m): 10:33pm On Dec 30, 2020
TruthSeeker1:

The truth really is that for every single dropout who is legally successful in Nigeria, there would be at least a hundred graduates who are successful!
Right, school doesn't determine if you'll ever be successful, the successful ones have something in common.
Self development.
I don't buy the idea that school is a scam and I don't see anything wrong when you drop out of school for a good reason.
Just know what you're doing

13 Likes

Re: I Regret Going To The University by TruthSeeker1: 2:56am On Dec 31, 2020
ostechno:

Right, school doesn't determine if you'll ever be successful, the successful ones have something in common.
Self development.
I don't buy the idea that school is a scam and I don't see anything wrong when you drop out of school for a good reason.
Just know what you're doing

Very well said!

1 Like

Re: I Regret Going To The University by RedPanthar: 6:00am On Dec 31, 2020
Zeeknow3245:
I don't know Why this is partly true because most Leaders in society are either Secondary school graduates or primary school leaving certificate

Lol
Re: I Regret Going To The University by RedPanthar: 6:01am On Dec 31, 2020
Maj196:
You mean schooling in Nigeria. Education is important my friend.

Lol
Re: I Regret Going To The University by SOMARPSOLUTIONS: 8:03am On Dec 31, 2020
May God help us.
Re: I Regret Going To The University by Topmantech(m): 8:03am On Dec 31, 2020
it is well
Re: I Regret Going To The University by Muhylonaire007: 8:03am On Dec 31, 2020
So many people are in your shoes but make I no lie you.... That you attended is a privilege many don't have.

Na situation wey we find ourselves for this country cause am. University na something wey everybody dey proud of before before, but see where we find ourselves.
Re: I Regret Going To The University by obonujoker(m): 8:04am On Dec 31, 2020
Your going to University is not a waste... Don't worry. Have faith. In some years to come you'd see it, infact you'd love to go for more education. Don't use now to compare or evaluate your future....

The seed is still growing
Re: I Regret Going To The University by legacystore: 8:05am On Dec 31, 2020
grin

The problem is that most graduates have a wrong mindset about education. U are not going to school so u can get a job and earn a living but to train ur mind to reason n solve problems.

Money is a game with rules u will remain poor until u start solving problem in ur immediate environment in exchange for money.

9 Likes

Re: I Regret Going To The University by Nobody: 8:05am On Dec 31, 2020
You are not Zukerberg, Jark Dorsey, Bezos, C Ronaldo, Messi, Micheal Jordan, Michael Jackson, and Maradona.

You are a Nigerian and you need school education

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Regret Going To The University by damicruise111: 8:06am On Dec 31, 2020
Too bad for you man
Re: I Regret Going To The University by jaxxy(m): 8:06am On Dec 31, 2020
There’s nothing wrong with the university bt it’s not ment for everyone also. It’s depends on ur direction in life bt in this country and with how our family units/systems work people don’t discover their direction in life early enough to decide if university is best or not.

Life is about structure. Certain professions don’t need university education as such. Like sports inclined ones, certain types of businesses also etc... bt university education is good if u can combine it well.

3 Likes

Re: I Regret Going To The University by obonujoker(m): 8:06am On Dec 31, 2020
Bigfish121:
Education is more than going to school.it has to deal with the development of the mind.that is why irrespective of the amount of money you have,when I see the way you reason,I don't roll with you.That is why I always tell people that I can not stay in a place like Edo or Delta because of the kind of people that stay in that states.
Peace.

Lol...Edo and Delta...full of puerile minds grin

4 Likes

Re: I Regret Going To The University by yesloaded: 8:06am On Dec 31, 2020
ostechno:

Education is not necessarily schooling, infact schooling is just a small part of education. We are in the age where schooling is less effective for self development. In school, students are made to compete for grades, the schooling system 100 years ago is still thesame as today, Every other things have changed, did you know people have different way of learning, some prefer learning when they are alone, some learn buy drawing, some people won't understand what they read in a book untill they watch videos, some learn by commiting themselves to practicals only, but school has always remain thesame, go to classroom, the lecturer teach all students who has different convinient way of learn thesame way, in the end, you get thesame exam for grading, some will fail, some will pass excellently. The way people are being lectured in school today doesn't help student discover themselves, they put that fear in you and limit you to only what you're being taught. A while ago when I was in secondary school, the teacher gave us an exam, he asked us "what are some examples of tools used for 'something'", I gave him the answers of the tools I've learned by myself online, and he marked me wrong, because he didn't know about it. Don't let what you're taught in school limit you, self discovery is what matters the most.
When I was in 100 level, our lecturer asked us to give examples of Operation System in CPE 101 class, the someone said Android OS, and the lecturer asked, is Android an OS?, I said to myself WOW, these lecturers are outdated. These people live in 19th century.
Alot of thing have changed but they don't know, new things are being invented everyday, if you limit yourself to what you're taught in school, you can never invent any good. Please use the available tools (most especially the internet) to discover yourself, you'll be surprised how the wold is changing.
Another thing about student who limit themselves to school is that "they are not good decision makers", students can't come up with original ideas again. Don't be surprise the exams you write is affecting student, the teacher choose for you, they choose the questions they give you, you're made to choose answers from objective questions, is it A, or B, or C or D. students are not allowed to come up with original thought again, they're made to choose, things would be worse now that most university wants to start making all exams CBT, all the questions would be objective. This alone affects student's ability to make decision In real-time.
All I'm going to say is don't limit yourself to what they teach you in school, everything is changing.
At the moment the world is even better off without the current schooling system. That's why I love Finland so much, the have the best schooling system in the world but it's still not good enough
To me, the internet is the new universities the and it can be a source of 90% of what you'll ever learn, 90 percent of the things I know today is not what I learned from school, its the power of the internet.
Peace

Well said
Re: I Regret Going To The University by tydi(m): 8:07am On Dec 31, 2020
I never regretted going to the universit(partially because of the ladies), what I regretted was paying all those sch fees I paid. money I would had used to open up an investment now I for don be a very big boy. but nothing spoil shaa.. like oyinbo people say.. No knowledge is a waste.!

1 Like

Re: I Regret Going To The University by TOPCRUISE(m): 8:07am On Dec 31, 2020
Don't regret going to the university. If you get out of this country to countries like us, Canada, Europe e.t.c. you won't regret going to the university
Re: I Regret Going To The University by leisuretym: 8:07am On Dec 31, 2020
Sad truth..
Biggie225:
The education system, that is supposed to teach young people fundamental facts and skills in order to allow them to deal properly with reality, is unfortunately also heavily used to indoctrinate the young to be passive, to not question authority, and to trust the government and their experts on TV without question.

The education system is often used as a filter to weed out the free-thinkers, rebels, “unconventionals” and promote the passive, conventional and compliant ones to the next level.

Students are compelled to believe everything the teacher says, without verification. The words of the education system became the guiding truth for youngsters. Usually, schools have unwritten rules regarding specific subjects that cannot be discussed. Some topics are illogically labeled as vulgar or foolish, and those who have interest in those subjects are often publicly ridiculed.

They condition student to believe that failure to submit to the system will have serious consequences. No employment, poverty, and no future.

Also, the quality of education that is available to the lower social classes is reduced most of the time, which contributes to a gradual increase in the gap that exists between lower classes and the elite.

Like Most popular and wealthy figures such as Zukerberg, Jark Dorsey, Bezos, C Ronaldo, Messi, Micheal Jordan, Michael Jackson, and Maradona etc. Non of these figures can boast of university degree but they had the courage to pursue their path to greatness with their natural instinct. Today all are legends in their own path.
Education is overrated

Ever since realize that life has no central formular or rules. I created the life I want and with apologies.

Re: I Regret Going To The University by EmekaBlue(m): 8:08am On Dec 31, 2020
Nigeria is a big factor causing it.

Ndi hausa and fulani have stolen and destroyed deep in future of lazy nigeria yoots as they call una
Re: I Regret Going To The University by illicit(m): 8:08am On Dec 31, 2020
You are not alone....

I don't totally regret it tho
Re: I Regret Going To The University by simhosting: 8:08am On Dec 31, 2020
grin
Re: I Regret Going To The University by deleo16(m): 8:08am On Dec 31, 2020
cool
Re: I Regret Going To The University by Lamasta(m): 8:09am On Dec 31, 2020
If education is expensive try ignorance
Re: I Regret Going To The University by Nobody: 8:09am On Dec 31, 2020
Biggie225:

Like Most popular and wealthy figures such as Zukerberg, Jark Dorsey, Bezos, C Ronaldo, Messi, Micheal Jordan, Michael Jackson, and Maradona etc. Non of these figures can boast of university degree but they had the courage to pursue their path to greatness with their natural instinct. Today all are legends in their own path.
Education is overrated

From one of the very few great minds we have in Nigeria.

Aside going to study Law, Medicine, and STEM courses, I don't see any sense in people of the lower class going to the university. It is just a game of chance. And government subsidizing any course apart from the ones stated above is a waste of scarce resources.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Delta State Polytechnic Stadium, Ozoro In Pictures / EFCC Raids Boys Hostel In Nekede Polytechnic (VIDEO) / Federal Poly Nekede Putme Out: Cutoff 160: Exam Date Fixed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.