Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,303 members, 7,957,768 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 07:39 PM

I Regret Going To The University - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / I Regret Going To The University (35984 Views)

I Regret Going To School. Wish My Parents Listened To Me / Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? / 6 Celebrities Who Regret Going For Plastic Surgery (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Regret Going To The University by Timijo(m): 12:52pm On Dec 31, 2020
Please keep that regret to yourself and fix whatever may be the cause, don't discourage the young ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UliR1JtOpz8
Re: I Regret Going To The University by Olaideolayemi(m): 12:55pm On Dec 31, 2020
I don't understand the statement,''i regret going to university''..some people don't even know what knowledge is all about..If you're identifying potential or discovered yourself...Are you going to discover yourself inside house?Or where?..I remember I discovered by potential in school,as at then poverty is my friend..hunger,stress,and suffering are my friend..thks to God,mum,Mentor for believing in me..I read like mad... just to have good grade.. Thks God the effort pay off..I was able to see opportunities that change my life..In addition,the course you study matter alot..The courses really help me in my life.. it can be applied in real life..Op am even preparing to go for another course soon.before I retire to business venture..God will help us...

1 Like

Re: I Regret Going To The University by Healman(m): 1:11pm On Dec 31, 2020
OP, Is like peh u don't know Harvard dropout is equivalent to UI Ph.D holder. lolz

1 Like

Re: I Regret Going To The University by ofiko123(m): 1:26pm On Dec 31, 2020
Yeah...fvck school..
Re: I Regret Going To The University by medolab90(m): 1:36pm On Dec 31, 2020
I'm happy with the response on this thread.These are the kind of thread I love. Enlightening and the same time creating exposure.
Re: I Regret Going To The University by smartoliver(m): 3:03pm On Dec 31, 2020
My guy, the only reason you can think as reasonable as this is because you went to school. There are alot of realities you fail to understand which became possible through the same education. Not to overrule your judgment but just so you know, your thought pattern today that makes you realize certain things comes from the fact that you are educated. Self discovery isn't something that is dictated by one's literacy. Be educated and discover yourself. It's not rocket science. I feel most of us are very myopic in judging certain things. And that's just unfortunate.
Biggie225:
The education system, that is supposed to teach young people fundamental facts and skills in order to allow them to deal properly with reality, is unfortunately also heavily used to indoctrinate the young to be passive, to not question authority, and to trust the government and their experts on TV without question.

The education system is often used as a filter to weed out the free-thinkers, rebels, “unconventionals” and promote the passive, conventional and compliant ones to the next level.

Students are compelled to believe everything the teacher says, without verification. The words of the education system became the guiding truth for youngsters. Usually, schools have unwritten rules regarding specific subjects that cannot be discussed. Some topics are illogically labeled as vulgar or foolish, and those who have interest in those subjects are often publicly ridiculed.

They condition student to believe that failure to submit to the system will have serious consequences. No employment, poverty, and no future.

Also, the quality of education that is available to the lower social classes is reduced most of the time, which contributes to a gradual increase in the gap that exists between lower classes and the elite.

Like Most popular and wealthy figures such as Zukerberg, Jark Dorsey, Bezos, C Ronaldo, Messi, Micheal Jordan, Michael Jackson, and Maradona etc. Non of these figures can boast of university degree but they had the courage to pursue their path to greatness with their natural instinct. Today all are legends in their own path.
Education is overrated

Ever since realize that life has no central formular or rules. I created the life I want and with apologies.

Bleep the world and Discover yourself.

1 Like

Re: I Regret Going To The University by Adesolomon2014(m): 3:32pm On Dec 31, 2020
This life itself na school!
Re: I Regret Going To The University by NwaforIgbo: 4:32pm On Dec 31, 2020
Biggie225:
The education system, that is supposed to teach young people fundamental facts and skills in order to allow them to deal properly with reality, is unfortunately also heavily used to indoctrinate the young to be passive, to not question authority, and to trust the government and their experts on TV without question.

The education system is often used as a filter to weed out the free-thinkers, rebels, “unconventionals” and promote the passive, conventional and compliant ones to the next level.

Students are compelled to believe everything the teacher says, without verification. The words of the education system became the guiding truth for youngsters. Usually, schools have unwritten rules regarding specific subjects that cannot be discussed. Some topics are illogically labeled as vulgar or foolish, and those who have interest in those subjects are often publicly ridiculed.

They condition student to believe that failure to submit to the system will have serious consequences. No employment, poverty, and no future.

Also, the quality of education that is available to the lower social classes is reduced most of the time, which contributes to a gradual increase in the gap that exists between lower classes and the elite.
Like Most popular and wealthy figures such as Zukerberg, Jark Dorsey, Bezos, C Ronaldo, Messi, Micheal Jordan, Michael Jackson, and Maradona etc.
Non of these figures can boast of university degree but they had the courage to pursue their path to greatness with their natural instinct. Today all are legends in their own path.
Education is overrated

Ever since realize that life has no central formular or rules. I created the life I want and with apologies.

You are very wrong on the bolded, why most of them did not go through formal education, but never forget they had an informal eductaion or should I call it *Direct* education...

Zuckerberg had a private coding instrutor his father contracted to teach him code, Ronaldo went to a football academy... All this are still education... Don't go and waste your life doing nothing and learning nothing using the slogan "school na scam" oh!!

3 Likes

Re: I Regret Going To The University by officialfestus(m): 5:30pm On Dec 31, 2020
mariahAngel:

I already did.

Blessed are those who read it. cheesy
for they shall know the difference between "I was there and I shall be there"
Re: I Regret Going To The University by Hassanmaye(m): 5:41pm On Dec 31, 2020
tydi:
I never regretted going to the universit(partially because of the ladies), what I regretted was paying all those sch fees I paid. money I would had used to open up an investment now I for don be a very big boy. but nothing spoil shaa.. like oyinbo people say.. No knowledge is a waste.!
Lol you mean you have chopped alot of puna Abi? Bad boy enjoy

Re: I Regret Going To The University by Hassanmaye(m): 5:42pm On Dec 31, 2020
DamZik:
From one of the very few great minds we have in Nigeria.

Aside going to study Law, Medicine, and STEM courses, I don't see any sense in people of the lower class going to the university. It is just a game of chance. And government subsidizing any course apart from the ones stated above is a waste of scarce resources.
what are STAM courses my friend?
Re: I Regret Going To The University by Hassanmaye(m): 5:44pm On Dec 31, 2020
Sysdatek:
University na just grammar in nigeria

Nothing come out finally

Threw my certificate into a drawer and hit the financial markets

The rest is history undecided
Haha grin
Re: I Regret Going To The University by Hassanmaye(m): 5:48pm On Dec 31, 2020
SavageBoy:
One shouldn't regret going to school at all. If there's anybody that should have any regret at all,it should be the parents or sponsors who wasted their hard earned living sending a cow to school. Yes,I used the word "cow" because if you feel you wasted your time going to school,then you're a cowshocked

Change your perspectives on school and higher education learning, when you do this,you'll realize that there's nothing regretful about going to school

School shouldn't be an end. It's supposed to be a means to an end
Don't mix schooling and education together. Many of these people you mentioned didn't get higher form of higher education learning, some possibly dropped out

But that doesn't mean they were not educated
There's more than one way to be an educated man
Always keep that at the back of your mind
Lol leave the stupid people to continue ranting education is scam bla bla, people can't reason with their head, the internet he is using to type this trash plus the phone he used, not to mention other inventions I think they are made by his father who spends years in the farm with nothing to show up hmmm

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Regret Going To The University by Hassanmaye(m): 5:49pm On Dec 31, 2020
Vaughanlanrewaj:

Bezos had a First Class in Engineering and was the valedictorian in his high school days.
Education is still unbeatable if you have the self discipline to take it.

Compare Apostle Peter to Apostle Paul for a start.

Asiwaju Tinubu and late Chief MKO Abiola, GCFR, still come to my mind as classic cases of where education counts. Both are accomplished first class accountants who brought their discipline into politics and business.

Is asiwaju a first class material?
Re: I Regret Going To The University by Nobody: 5:59pm On Dec 31, 2020
Hassanmaye:

what are STAM courses my friend?
STEM - Science Technology Engineering & Mathematics

1 Like

Re: I Regret Going To The University by Updating9JA: 6:33pm On Dec 31, 2020
Biggie225:

Also, the quality of education that is available to the lower social classes is Devotional reduced most of the time, which contributes to a gradual increase in the gap that exists between lower classes and the elite.

Like Most popular and wealthy figures such as Zukerberg, Jark Dorsey, Bezos, C Ronaldo, Messi, Micheal Jordan, Michael Jackson, and Maradona etc. Non of these figures can boast of university degree but they had the courage to pursue their path to greatness with their natural instinct. Today all are legends in their own path.
Education is overrated

Re: I Regret Going To The University by bhassan20: 6:53pm On Dec 31, 2020
ostechno:

Education is not necessarily schooling, infact schooling is just a small part of education. We are in the age where schooling is less effective for self development. In school, students are made to compete for grades, the schooling system 100 years ago is still thesame as today, Every other things have changed, did you know people have different way of learning, some prefer learning when they are alone, some learn buy drawing, some people won't understand what they read in a book untill they watch videos, some learn by commiting themselves to practicals only, but school has always remain thesame, go to classroom, the lecturer teach all students who has different convinient way of learn thesame way, in the end, you get thesame exam for grading, some will fail, some will pass excellently. The way people are being lectured in school today doesn't help student discover themselves, they put that fear in you and limit you to only what you're being taught. A while ago when I was in secondary school, the teacher gave us an exam, he asked us "what are some examples of tools used for 'something'", I gave him the answers of the tools I've learned by myself online, and he marked me wrong, because he didn't know about it. Don't let what you're taught in school limit you, self discovery is what matters the most.
When I was in 100 level, our lecturer asked us to give examples of Operation System in CPE 101 class, the someone said Android OS, and the lecturer asked, is Android an OS?, I said to myself WOW, these lecturers are outdated. These people live in 19th century.
Alot of thing have changed but they don't know, new things are being invented everyday, if you limit yourself to what you're taught in school, you can never invent any good. Please use the available tools (most especially the internet) to discover yourself, you'll be surprised how the wold is changing.
Another thing about student who limit themselves to school is that "they are not good decision makers", students can't come up with original ideas again. Don't be surprise the exams you write is affecting student, the teacher choose for you, they choose the questions they give you, you're made to choose answers from objective questions, is it A, or B, or C or D. students are not allowed to come up with original thought again, they're made to choose, things would be worse now that most university wants to start making all exams CBT, all the questions would be objective. This alone affects student's ability to make decision In real-time.
All I'm going to say is don't limit yourself to what they teach you in school, everything is changing.
At the moment the world is even better off without the current schooling system. That's why I love Finland so much, the have the best schooling system in the world but it's still not good enough
To me, the internet is the new universities the and it can be a source of 90% of what you'll ever learn, 90 percent of the things I know today is not what I learned from school, its the power of the internet.
Peace
Apt
Re: I Regret Going To The University by branhampaul: 6:54pm On Dec 31, 2020
Biggie225:

Education is overrated

To correct you, EDUCATION is not overrated neither is it a scam as your statement might import. Education happens whether one is in the classroom or not. When one logs onto Google to read or research about a certain thing, such is EDUCATION. Education is learning; whenever one reads or indulge in life activities one is learning - such is education.

The word most apposite for your context is SCHOOL. One could say school is a scam, which is, however, still debatable. But not EDUCATION. One will get nowhere without education.

It pays to put a distinction between EDUCATION and SCHOOL, and to further understand what each entails.
Re: I Regret Going To The University by Hassanmaye(m): 6:54pm On Dec 31, 2020
frankson1:

My mind is already thinking into his project plan grin grin grin
Haha wickedness grin grin
Re: I Regret Going To The University by ChronicGp(m): 7:32pm On Dec 31, 2020
What about the Prophets, which School them attend??¿ Just asking...
Re: I Regret Going To The University by austinauto(m): 10:24pm On Dec 31, 2020
ProfAmaben:

No problem, amabentechnologies@gmail.com . Kindly message me here to get your contact. It should be running by March.
Okay Sir, thanks.
Re: I Regret Going To The University by Vaughanlanrewaj: 8:23am On Jan 01, 2021
Hassanmaye:

Is asiwaju a first class material?

Throughout his undergraduate years, young Bola was on the Dean’s List and was honoured with the Outstanding Student’s Award, the University Scholar’s Award and the Certificate of Merit in Accounting and Finance. He was also awarded the prestigious Sumna cum laude for scoring 3.54 out of possible 4.0 GP.

MKO Abiola had 1st Class too.

2 Likes

Re: I Regret Going To The University by austinauto(m): 9:33am On Jan 01, 2021
ProfAmaben:

No problem, amabentechnologies@gmail.com . Kindly message me here to get your contact. It should be running by March.
Happy New Year Sir, I have emailed you with. Thanks
Re: I Regret Going To The University by T4taiwo(m): 9:57am On Jan 01, 2021
Rilwayne001:
OP didn't really present a convincing argument, just usual tantrums that we've seen online.

Going to the school is very important, however schooling yourself is even more important. Both are mutually dependent, and you can't have one without the other, otherwise you'd not really feel accomplished. But in Nigeria, these people shouting "school na scam" are people who only went to study for going sake, cram and pour what they are taught down without ever thinking of applying these scenarios of teachings to life.

You don't ever have to agree with whatever you're taught in class, you're always expected to think outside the box, and that's why you're there in the first place. Many Nigeria don't ever think outside the box, they just want to graduate for graduation sake. They also expect school to hand over every teachings of life to them on a platter of gold, no!! School will definitely teach you 10%. It is your ability to develop this 10% to whatever percentage your development can that matters. This reality is what most people aren't seeing, because Nigeria don't like objectivity and just want things falling in place for them as they deem fit. Whereas, life is brutal, and doesn't succumb to your wishes.

because it doesn't work for them doesn't mean it wouldn't work for other, education is not to make u rich, but to aid your intellectual development to fit in the society.

your level of assimilation and ability to hernes your inner potential is what aid success.

Education no be Scam

2 Likes

Re: I Regret Going To The University by Boxer007(m): 6:00pm On Feb 15, 2021
Realuzoamaka:
Schooling is overrated.
Education is not overrated.

helo darling. please my unlce is a milionnaire & he lookin for house maid with no edukation who can cook n clean & u . Pay is 6000 naira.
u can make extra income from this sir.
U intaressted? smiley
Re: I Regret Going To The University by austinauto(m): 4:58pm On Feb 17, 2021
ProfAmaben:

Happy New year sir, how is the project going?
Thanks
Re: I Regret Going To The University by RedPanthar: 9:44pm On Feb 17, 2021
This thread sha..
Re: I Regret Going To The University by Kennyking1234: 6:54pm On Oct 20, 2021
wow I love your idealogy
oluwaahmed:
Colonial Education was used to deprive the black man of his cultural Education. What is Education? In African history, Education was the passing down of knowledge from generation to generation. In Africa, a successful farmer will teach his son at an early age the rudimentary farming skills needed to survive and be wealthy. His son son will pass the same knowledge to his own son, thus breeding a generation of farmers skilled in their craft. Same for medicine, a herbal doctor skilled in his craft will pass same info to his children, same with biz men like igbos who start from age 7 to learn trade.
Before colonisation, Africans were highly educated according to their norms in areas like astronomy, astrology, Livestock rearing, farming, medicine, warring(believe it or not, Africans had guns too).
Now most arguments I have with friends and colleagues is that the structured education of now (sec school & College) enabled us to better manage our economy. I disagree with them because economy is the efficient distribution of scarce resources which is the function of govt. In the days of trade by barter, there were little or no poor people because people had jobs in their respective villages and excesses were used to trade with other products, while there were contributions to the traditional rulers for taking care of orphans or widows.
Every single profession we have now existed in the old days with our form of education. We learn nothing now because no knowledge is passed in schools only history. Thats why businessmen, sportsmen and artisans make more money than UNI graduates.
Re: I Regret Going To The University by LIFE60edet(m): 5:12pm On Jun 21, 2022
School does not make you rich but it is a place that will polished you to greatness; you are not paid for having brain but you are only rewarded for using it intelligently

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Clay Math Institute Denies Century Old Math Problem Solved By Nigerian / Lagosians Dump Trash On A School's Sign Post (Photo) / Daisy Okonofua, Medical Doctor From UNIBEN, Clinches Multiple Awards. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.