Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,790 members, 7,820,770 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:14 PM

I Regret Going To The University - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / I Regret Going To The University (35684 Views)

I Regret Going To School. Wish My Parents Listened To Me / Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? / 6 Celebrities Who Regret Going For Plastic Surgery (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Regret Going To The University by jaeyking(m): 10:12am On Dec 31, 2020
XXXXTENTACION:
Very ironic. undecided

imagine going through an educational system to gather knowledge and when you finally get that knowledge you begin to question the educational system itself. angry

school is a place for learning. Unfortunately nigerians believe in only white colar jobs deserve education

in western countries, different schools exist. School of music, sch of dance, school of professional make up artist.
They are all created so that no individual would be left out. Every one would pursue what he or she loves within the confines of a formal education.

The world has gone beyond formal education been limited to read n write, it extends to expression of one's talent

1 Like

Re: I Regret Going To The University by codemaniacs: 10:13am On Dec 31, 2020
Biggie225:
The education system, that is supposed to teach young people fundamental facts and skills in order to allow them to deal properly with reality, is unfortunately also heavily used to indoctrinate the young to be passive, to not question authority, and to trust the government and their experts on TV without question.

The education system is often used as a filter to weed out the free-thinkers, rebels, “unconventionals” and promote the passive, conventional and compliant ones to the next level.

Students are compelled to believe everything the teacher says, without verification. The words of the education system became the guiding truth for youngsters. Usually, schools have unwritten rules regarding specific subjects that cannot be discussed. Some topics are illogically labeled as vulgar or foolish, and those who have interest in those subjects are often publicly ridiculed.

They condition student to believe that failure to submit to the system will have serious consequences. No employment, poverty, and no future.

Also, the quality of education that is available to the lower social classes is reduced most of the time, which contributes to a gradual increase in the gap that exists between lower classes and the elite.

Like Most popular and wealthy figures such as Zukerberg, Jark Dorsey, Bezos, C Ronaldo, Messi, Micheal Jordan, Michael Jackson, and Maradona etc. Non of these figures can boast of university degree but they had the courage to pursue their path to greatness with their natural instinct. Today all are legends in their own path.
Education is overrated

Ever since realize that life has no central formular or rules. I created the life I want and with apologies.

Bleep the world and Discover yourself.

not having a university degree does not mean a person is not skilled or does not have an education in other fields...

Zukerberg, Jark Dorsey were programming from a young age and attended university but dropped out... the important word here is they were in a university receiving lectures for more than 1.5 years

Bezos graduated from Princeton University in 1986. He holds a degree in electrical engineering and computer science... also a programmer from a young age.

C Ronaldo, Messi, Micheal Jordan, Michael Jackson, and Maradona all attended sports academies in their young age.. going to sports academy means getting sports education, sports degrees and qualifications... so this means they attended sports school and have education about sports and the sport they work in...

you cannot be a professional sports person without attending a sports academy... even if a person learns on the street when that person finally get a professional sport club he/she will first be taken to the youth team to learn the basics... same with programming...

4 Likes

Re: I Regret Going To The University by CodeTemplar: 10:15am On Dec 31, 2020
Arrewa:
First of all School promises to be the building ground of basic life skills, of the emotional and intellectual well being of its students. A school also promises to make a student ready to take up the challenges of the world they will be facing.

They claim to instill values that will help students make more informed decisions and distinguish between the right and the wrong and find the best path for oneself.

In a competitive market environment, you need something to help you stand out from the crowd of other applicants. A good degree gets you ‘in the door.’ Then you need to prove yourself, because all a degree shows is that you have studied the basics.

A degree isn’t everything, however. If you have other fungible skills, especially in IT that are demonstrably valuable, an intelligent employer will recognise these.

Going to school is a lesson itself besides whatever subject you study
This is a case of wrong expectation of what education should do for you. They be given you knowledge it is up to you to use the knowledge to either run an already established business or start on.
Re: I Regret Going To The University by Soknown: 10:23am On Dec 31, 2020
ostechno:

Education is not necessarily schooling, in fact schooling is just a small part of education.
Peace
Touche
Re: I Regret Going To The University by favinvest: 10:31am On Dec 31, 2020
I think u're getting it wrong..

NO UNIVERSITY IN THE WORLD HAS EVER PROMISED RICHES/MONEY IN RETURN AFTER GRADUATION...

The university only promised you a sound education..

what u do with it is left to you..

If you know how to use Economics plus Commerce and Physics or chemistry etc.. then u can b rich..

if not then OYO is ur name
Re: I Regret Going To The University by Seyzcham91(m): 10:45am On Dec 31, 2020
Not only you! Many Of Us do regret that and for thazt i never even collect my certificate from my school even though na 2.1 i carry comot in the Statement of Result
Arrewa:
First of all School promises to be the building ground of basic life skills, of the emotional and intellectual well being of its students. A school also promises to make a student ready to take up the challenges of the world they will be facing.

They claim to instill values that will help students make more informed decisions and distinguish between the right and the wrong and find the best path for oneself.

In a competitive market environment, you need something to help you stand out from the crowd of other applicants. A good degree gets you ‘in the door.’ Then you need to prove yourself, because all a degree shows is that you have studied the basics.

A degree isn’t everything, however. If you have other fungible skills, especially in IT that are demonstrably valuable, an intelligent employer will recognise these.

Re: I Regret Going To The University by Asour: 10:46am On Dec 31, 2020
Arrewa:

Hello??

Jeff Bezos actually finished his degree— BS EE & Comp Sci.— at Princeton.

Go check.

Now that you've confirmed that the Richest man in the World is a graduate, go to school!

Just joking. BUT the people you've mentioned are dedicated individuals. They're a rarity in the society.

Bill gates for e.g has read ALL Vaclav smil's books.
I struggle to even finish one (poor dedication).

School is the most structured learning environment that provides credibility to employers through certification.

If you don't mind working for yourself and can dedicatedly learn effectively on your own, by all means drop out. You'll be making the best use of your time.

Cheers.

1 Like

Re: I Regret Going To The University by iretemide(f): 10:46am On Dec 31, 2020
ProfAmaben:

Oga, school no be scam o! Everything I've achieved is strongly linked to my degrees. School is a hugely misunderstood concept in Nigeria.

If you don't have functional laboratories where you can practice your course as a physicist or chemist, how can such a student strive? The answer is that the student should go to any factory and volunteer (free) service. When this student gets into the industry, all those chemical reaction and other complex topics that wasn't understood earlier begins to make sense.

Every student should think out of the box also. Think of problems and become the solution. I've seen that farm products are expensive and become unnecessarily inflated by middlemen, I am currently working on an application that would enable final customers buy directly from this farmers from the comfort of their homes. A logistic company would be partnered with to achieve this, customers would pay a token of 5,000 yearly to access this site.

Can you see how a graduate should think and put his knowledge to good use?

School is great, applying wisdom is greater.

If knowledge is expensive, try ignorance.
Please I have already worked on the application, I'm waiting for the partner and sponsors. I can even show you the demo
Re: I Regret Going To The University by ProfAmaben(m): 10:57am On Dec 31, 2020
iretemide:
Please I have already worked on the application, I'm waiting for the partner and sponsors. I can even show you the demo

Send me the link to the Demo.
Re: I Regret Going To The University by Coolingeffect: 11:00am On Dec 31, 2020
Honestly, your answer is the reason why Ops thinks this way about formal education
Re: I Regret Going To The University by Soknown: 11:03am On Dec 31, 2020
I have seen so many valid points on this thread, but let me add this:

I was given the opportunity to address some set of Secondary students a while back just to encourage them at studying hard. I brought out an obviously white A4 Printing paper. I asked the Students for the color of the paper I was holding. All the students raised their hands so I called one of them. He told me that the color is white.

Then I asked them, why is it white? Everyone kept quiet. They did not expect that question. That is the meat of education, the ability to recognize the need for a 'WHY' and seek for answers. University education is meant for us to understand the Philosophy and Science beneath our chosen profession, questioning the existing order/knowledge, and sought for ways to improve on it. But we have adopted to just absorb the existing knowledge as it is and run to the job market.

Most of the great guys that the OP mentioned understood this principle without attending formal University education but the majority of the earth's population needs to go to school to come to this realization.

Understand the Philosophy and Science behind what you do, then see yourself grow exponentially.

6 Likes

Re: I Regret Going To The University by Rilwayne001: 11:07am On Dec 31, 2020
OP didn't really present a convincing argument, just usual tantrums that we've seen online.

Going to the school is very important, however schooling yourself is even more important. Both are mutually dependent, and you can't have one without the other, otherwise you'd not really feel accomplished. But in Nigeria, these people shouting "school na scam" are people who only went to study for going sake, cram and pour what they are taught down without ever thinking of applying these scenarios of teachings to life.

You don't ever have to agree with whatever you're taught in class, you're always expected to think outside the box, and that's why you're there in the first place. Many Nigeria don't ever think outside the box, they just want to graduate for graduation sake. They also expect school to hand over every teachings of life to them on a platter of gold, no!! School will definitely teach you 10%. It is your ability to develop this 10% to whatever percentage your development can that matters. This reality is what most people aren't seeing, because Nigeria don't like objectivity and just want things falling in place for them as they deem fit. Whereas, life is brutal, and doesn't succumb to your wishes.
Re: I Regret Going To The University by lucky4west: 11:14am On Dec 31, 2020
school is not a scam, in fact school is about the best thing that can happen to any one....it is easy for you to call school a scam because you passed through it...the grasses always look greener in your neighbors garden, because u went to school and have not seen job, money, fame etc commensurate with the years and efforts spent in school u called it a scam, try illiteracy and see for self? do you know how some of the names u mentioned and some of our celebrities and bigshots feel deep down because they cannot read and write, articulate and understand issues as simply as you do without the help of people around them? some of them cannot comprehend a simple write up or codes without assistance, some of them would not have ended up badly if they had a university education, some of them cannot be on this kind of platform because they cant read and understand simple write up...do you think every thing in life is about money? try ignorance and illiteracy you go know how far....our educational system has it flaws yes, but then school is not all about you graduating a picking up juicy offers, your education is to equip you to think effectively, discriminate among values, communicate with all and sundry and earn a living....it is not about being wealthy but if that happens fine.....

2 Likes

Re: I Regret Going To The University by lucky4west: 11:18am On Dec 31, 2020
emkz:
Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg you mentioned hired those who went to school to run their companies. The CEOs' basic education was MSc from tier 1 universities, some even with PhDs. Do a Google search on the CEOs of Microsoft, Google, Adobe Inc, Nvidia, Cisco Systems, Intel, IBM, etc.

I don't think we should bastardize our university system. If you are brilliant in the Nigerian university system, you shall be brilliant anywhere. There are Nigerian graduates with all their degrees from Nigerian universities who manage the entire IT infrastructure of large companies. A product of the University of Calabar was at the forefront of Covid19 vaccine research.

My argument is that university is not for everybody, and your thread has shown that it was not for you. I have a doctorate but my talents would have been manifested without tbe university system; it just might have taken more time. In the university, you don't only learn book, you learn relationships, networking, negotiation, resilience and character. Find your niche and build on it, whether in the university or in the streets. Nigerian universities are not bad.

PS: if you say we should reform our educational system to build each person's talent, very good. But to say the universities are useless is unacceptable.
....good thinking...nice one bruv please tell him more
Re: I Regret Going To The University by Phraences: 11:20am On Dec 31, 2020
thebosstrevor1:
You are not Zukerberg, Jark Dorsey, Bezos, C Ronaldo, Messi, Micheal Jordan, Michael Jackson, and Maradona.

You are a Nigerian and you need school education

Simple and straight to the point. This reminds me of the parable of the talents in the Bible. People come to this earth with different talents. As i am, i wish i could sing so i can audition for talent shows and win some money. Maybe become like Beyonce. But God did not bless me with a good voice. So you make do with what you are given.
Re: I Regret Going To The University by Shattuck(m): 11:23am On Dec 31, 2020
Nigeria 's educational system may have failed, but you can't fault the entire concept of education. you were exposed to a faulty education, everywhere in the world those with knowledge are changing the world we are talking about a convid vaccine now the scientist who worked on that didn't get their knowledge from the street or by being street smart. when Nigeria gets a good educational system and a good nation entirely you'll see the difference.
Re: I Regret Going To The University by Nobody: 11:32am On Dec 31, 2020
Schooling is overrated.
Education is not overrated.
Re: I Regret Going To The University by iretemide(f): 11:32am On Dec 31, 2020
ProfAmaben:

Send me the link to the Demo.
ok
Re: I Regret Going To The University by Yoighaman(m): 11:33am On Dec 31, 2020
ostechno:

Education is not necessarily schooling, infact schooling is just a small part of education. We are in the age where schooling is less effective for self development. In school, students are made to compete for grades, the schooling system 100 years ago is still thesame as today, Every other things have changed, did you know people have different way of learning, some prefer learning when they are alone, some learn buy drawing, some people won't understand what they read in a book untill they watch videos, some learn by commiting themselves to practicals only, but school has always remain thesame, go to classroom, the lecturer teach all students who has different convinient way of learn thesame way, in the end, you get thesame exam for grading, some will fail, some will pass excellently. The way people are being lectured in school today doesn't help student discover themselves, they put that fear in you and limit you to only what you're being taught. A while ago when I was in secondary school, the teacher gave us an exam, he asked us "what are some examples of tools used for 'something'", I gave him the answers of the tools I've learned by myself online, and he marked me wrong, because he didn't know about it. Don't let what you're taught in school limit you, self discovery is what matters the most.
When I was in 100 level, our lecturer asked us to give examples of Operation System in CPE 101 class, the someone said Android OS, and the lecturer asked, is Android an OS?, I said to myself WOW, these lecturers are outdated. These people live in 19th century.
Alot of thing have changed but they don't know, new things are being invented everyday, if you limit yourself to what you're taught in school, you can never invent any good. Please use the available tools (most especially the internet) to discover yourself, you'll be surprised how the wold is changing.
Another thing about student who limit themselves to school is that "they are not good decision makers", students can't come up with original ideas again. Don't be surprise the exams you write is affecting student, the teacher choose for you, they choose the questions they give you, you're made to choose answers from objective questions, is it A, or B, or C or D. students are not allowed to come up with original thought again, they're made to choose, things would be worse now that most university wants to start making all exams CBT, all the questions would be objective. This alone affects student's ability to make decision In real-time.
All I'm going to say is don't limit yourself to what they teach you in school, everything is changing.
At the moment the world is even better off without the current schooling system. That's why I love Finland so much, the have the best schooling system in the world but it's still not good enough
To me, the internet is the new universities the and it can be a source of 90% of what you'll ever learn, 90 percent of the things I know today is not what I learned from school, its the power of the internet.
Peace

Well said bro....

To buttress your point, the power of the internet should never be underrated, it's a very powerful tool that should be properly and aggressively mined.

Personally, I am an addict of FUTURE LEARN.COM, that's my University. We also have COURSERA, and a host of others to learn from.

Anyone who is not highly educated in this age and time has him/herself to blame.

The internet has put the world at your feet, strike it peeps!
Re: I Regret Going To The University by codemaniacs: 11:35am On Dec 31, 2020
favinvest:
I think u're getting it wrong..

NO UNIVERSITY IN THE WORLD HAS EVER PROMISED RICHES/MONEY IN RETURN AFTER GRADUATION...

The university only promised you a sound education..

what u do with it is left to you..

If you know how to use Economics plus Commerce and Physics or chemistry etc.. then u can b rich..

if not then OYO is ur name

Universities have "old students" that own companies that can give jobs to 1st class holders and look out for smart students. This is one of the ways university students gets jobs in Europe and U.S

1 Like

Re: I Regret Going To The University by abakha: 11:40am On Dec 31, 2020
imagine going through an educational system to gather knowledge and when you finally get that knowledge you begin to question the educational system itself. angry

Asin ehn ko necessary
Re: I Regret Going To The University by tunize(m): 11:40am On Dec 31, 2020
Nor be to go school na to dey educated thereby thinking beyond the box. Everything is self discovering in life just know where your hidden talents fits in. You acquire certificate nor mean sey u must be billionaire. I have never seen anyone tore his/her certificate to back this school na scam concept.
Re: I Regret Going To The University by ostechno(m): 11:43am On Dec 31, 2020
Yoighaman:

Well said bro....

To buttress your point, the power of the internet should never be underrated, it's a very powerful tool that should be mined.

Personally, I am an addict of FUTURE LEARN.COM, that's my University. We also have COURSERA, and a host of others to learn from.

Anyone who is not highly educated in this age and time has him/herself to blame.

The internet has put the world at your feet, strike it peeps!
If there's no money for the paid platforms, YouTube is free, and it has everything you need. The only thing you need is data
Codecademy is free but has paid subscription for certificate and other things and Coursera has some some free too, I use both.

1 Like

Re: I Regret Going To The University by CsRockefeller(m): 11:48am On Dec 31, 2020
iretemide:

Send a DM
Re: I Regret Going To The University by Yoighaman(m): 11:59am On Dec 31, 2020
ostechno:

If there's no money for the paid platforms, YouTube is free, and it has everything you need. The only thing you need is data
Codecademy is free but has paid subscription for certificate and other things and Coursera has some some free too, I use both.

FUTURE LEARN is also free, COURSERA is free as well, I believe there are other platforms that are free too.

However, they all have paid courses which are usually affiliated with Universities.

Most important is to keep learning, whether it's via the free courses or the paid ones.

We should keep learning....

1 Like

Re: I Regret Going To The University by hernandson(m): 12:01pm On Dec 31, 2020
AmbaliJ:
So what will you now do?
question Nla
Re: I Regret Going To The University by Bluntemperor: 12:20pm On Dec 31, 2020
ProfAmaben:

Oga, school no be scam o! Everything I've achieved is strongly linked to my degrees. School is a hugely misunderstood concept in Nigeria.

If you don't have functional laboratories where you can practice your course as a physicist or chemist, how can such a student strive? The answer is that the student should go to any factory and volunteer (free) service. When this student gets into the industry, all those chemical reaction and other complex topics that wasn't understood earlier begins to make sense.

Every student should think out of the box also. Think of problems and become the solution. I've seen that farm products are expensive and become unnecessarily inflated by middlemen, I am currently working on an application that would enable final customers buy directly from this farmers from the comfort of their homes. A logistic company would be partnered with to achieve this, customers would pay a token of 5,000 yearly to access this site.

Can you see how a graduate should think and put his knowledge to good use?

School is great, applying wisdom is greater.

If knowledge is expensive, try ignorance.

Don't mind the OP, as he tries to cajole the gullibles in our society- the Foolish,the confused and the deluded!
If School be scam as you wants us to believed,why did Bill Gates,Zuchaberge,etc still return to complete their Degree at the University? Why do they established Doctorate Chairpersons in Yale,Oxford,Cambridge and numerous Scholarship Boards in many prestigious Universities around the World.
Believed the miscreants learning trade and when they are free from their ogas after 3-years,you still hear 'I want to send my wife and myself back to School', so what is missing?
Ignorance will surely enslaved forever!

1 Like

Re: I Regret Going To The University by Ashirioluwa: 12:31pm On Dec 31, 2020
Whether school or not those that will be rich will be rich.
Re: I Regret Going To The University by Ashirioluwa: 12:33pm On Dec 31, 2020
Fact check: Michael Jordan graduated from university

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Delta State Polytechnic Stadium, Ozoro In Pictures / EFCC Raids Boys Hostel In Nekede Polytechnic (VIDEO) / Federal Poly Nekede Putme Out: Cutoff 160: Exam Date Fixed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.