Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,747 members, 7,820,582 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:32 PM

I Regret Going To The University - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / I Regret Going To The University (35680 Views)

I Regret Going To School. Wish My Parents Listened To Me / Did You Regret Going For Masters Abroad? / 6 Celebrities Who Regret Going For Plastic Surgery (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Regret Going To The University by oluwaahmed: 8:35am On Dec 31, 2020
Colonial Education was used to deprive the black man of his cultural Education. What is Education? In African history, Education was the passing down of knowledge from generation to generation. In Africa, a successful farmer will teach his son at an early age the rudimentary farming skills needed to survive and be wealthy. His son son will pass the same knowledge to his own son, thus breeding a generation of farmers skilled in their craft. Same for medicine, a herbal doctor skilled in his craft will pass same info to his children, same with biz men like igbos who start from age 7 to learn trade.
Before colonisation, Africans were highly educated according to their norms in areas like astronomy, astrology, Livestock rearing, farming, medicine, warring(believe it or not, Africans had guns too).
Now most arguments I have with friends and colleagues is that the structured education of now (sec school & College) enabled us to better manage our economy. I disagree with them because economy is the efficient distribution of scarce resources which is the function of govt. In the days of trade by barter, there were little or no poor people because people had jobs in their respective villages and excesses were used to trade with other products, while there were contributions to the traditional rulers for taking care of orphans or widows.
Every single profession we have now existed in the old days with our form of education. We learn nothing now because no knowledge is passed in schools only history. Thats why businessmen, sportsmen and artisans make more money than UNI graduates.

2 Likes

Re: I Regret Going To The University by hustla(m): 8:37am On Dec 31, 2020
twizz4u:
lol, They are in Nigeria,Mikel obi, wizkid olamide, seun osewa..

WizKid and Olamide went to school

I think Olamide finished from TASUED

Davido sef went to school

6 Likes

Re: I Regret Going To The University by InvertedHammer: 8:38am On Dec 31, 2020
/
The essence of school is to train you like a herd. They picked the school curricula tailored in such a way to meet some specific needs. If you need more information, you have to find and figure it out on your own. That's why those who think outside the box are labelled as weirdos because they don't conform to the lives of the 20 chapters written in a Psychology textbook. Is there life or knowledge beyond those 20 ( or whatever) chapters? You bet! That's why we have Ph.Ds in Microbiology who don't know how to do researches for Covid-19 vaccines because the oyibo textbooks on that are not out yet.

/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Regret Going To The University by Ingredient88(m): 8:38am On Dec 31, 2020
I hope you will not allow your children to regret going to school too? so please from now on allow them to go learn hand work...don't allow them to go to school pls so that they will not regret it too.
Re: I Regret Going To The University by ModestGal(f): 8:40am On Dec 31, 2020
Biggie225:
The education system, that is supposed to teach young people fundamental facts and skills in order to allow them to deal properly with reality, is unfortunately also heavily used to indoctrinate the young to be passive, to not question authority, and to trust the government and their experts on TV without question.

The education system is often used as a filter to weed out the free-thinkers, rebels, “unconventionals” and promote the passive, conventional and compliant ones to the next level.

Students are compelled to believe everything the teacher says, without verification. The words of the education system became the guiding truth for youngsters. Usually, schools have unwritten rules regarding specific subjects that cannot be discussed. Some topics are illogically labeled as vulgar or foolish, and those who have interest in those subjects are often publicly ridiculed.

They condition student to believe that failure to submit to the system will have serious consequences. No employment, poverty, and no future.

Also, the quality of education that is available to the lower social classes is reduced most of the time, which contributes to a gradual increase in the gap that exists between lower classes and the elite.

Like Most popular and wealthy figures such as Zukerberg, Jark Dorsey, Bezos, C Ronaldo, Messi, Micheal Jordan, Michael Jackson, and Maradona etc. Non of these figures can boast of university degree but they had the courage to pursue their path to greatness with their natural instinct. Today all are legends in their own path.
Education is overrated

Ever since realize that life has no central formular or rules. I created the life I want and with apologies.

Bleep the world and Discover yourself.
Let's connect, I think I like your reasoning

1 Like

Re: I Regret Going To The University by lexy2014: 8:42am On Dec 31, 2020
Vaughanlanrewaj:

Bezos had a First Class in Engineering and was the valedictorian in his high school days.
Education is still unbeatable if you have the self discipline to take it.

Compare Apostle Peter to Apostle Paul for a start.

Asiwaju Tinubu and late Chief MKO Abiola, GCFR, still come to my mind as classic cases of where education counts. Both are accomplished first class accountants who brought their discipline into politics and business.

Going by ur example of abiola& Tinubu, then it means all accountants should be Giants in business & politics
Re: I Regret Going To The University by Oteikwu1(m): 8:44am On Dec 31, 2020
Education is not about learning the fact but ability to train the mind to think Albert ersten
Not about passing tru dat university must pass tru when d equation is balance u are good to go
Re: I Regret Going To The University by Nobody: 8:51am On Dec 31, 2020
ProfAmaben:

Oga, school no be scam o! Everything I've achieved is strongly linked to my degrees. School is a hugely misunderstood concept in Nigeria.

If you don't have functional laboratories where you can practice your course as a physicist or chemist, how can such a student strive? The answer is that the student should go to any factory and volunteer (free) service. When this student gets into the industry, all those chemical reaction and other complex topics that wasn't understood earlier begins to make sense.

Every student should think out of the box also. Think of problems and become the solution. I've seen that farm products are expensive and become unnecessarily inflated by middlemen, I am currently working on an application that would enable final customers buy directly from this farmers from the comfort of their homes. A logistic company would be partnered with to achieve this, customers would pay a token of 5,000 yearly to access this site.

Can you see how a graduate should think and put his knowledge to good use?

School is great, applying wisdom is greater.

If knowledge is expensive, try ignorance.
The solution you raised isn't because you went to school but because you think outside the box.

This is what we are saying, tech business isn't even studied in school, there are lots of drop out or those who didn't go to school doing tech business etc.

School is good but overrated especially in Nigeria where you create security, job, electricity, water, etc for yourself

1 Like

Re: I Regret Going To The University by Miyachi: 8:55am On Dec 31, 2020
Biggie225:
The education system, that is supposed to teach young people fundamental facts and skills in order to allow them to deal properly with reality, is unfortunately also heavily used to indoctrinate the young to be passive, to not question authority, and to trust the government and their experts on TV without question.

The education system is often used as a filter to weed out the free-thinkers, rebels, “unconventionals” and promote the passive, conventional and compliant ones to the next level.

Students are compelled to believe everything the teacher says, without verification. The words of the education system became the guiding truth for youngsters. Usually, schools have unwritten rules regarding specific subjects that cannot be discussed. Some topics are illogically labeled as vulgar or foolish, and those who have interest in those subjects are often publicly ridiculed.

They condition student to believe that failure to submit to the system will have serious consequences. No employment, poverty, and no future.

Also, the quality of education that is available to the lower social classes is reduced most of the time, which contributes to a gradual increase in the gap that exists between lower classes and the elite.

Like Most popular and wealthy figures such as Zukerberg, Jark Dorsey, Bezos, C Ronaldo, Messi, Micheal Jordan, Michael Jackson, and Maradona etc. Non of these figures can boast of university degree but they had the courage to pursue their path to greatness with their natural instinct. Today all are legends in their own path.
Education is overrated

Ever since realize that life has no central formular or rules. I created the life I want and with apologies.

Education isn't overrated, it is the bedrock of every modern society. I understand your misgivings about institutionalized education in Nigeria, we've got it wrong - as we do almost every idea we copy. Education in Nigerian institutions measures just how well you can regurgitate and conform. Education should be interactive and interesting with its chief aim being actionable knowledge, not just facts crammed into ones head.

3 Likes

Re: I Regret Going To The University by emkz: 8:55am On Dec 31, 2020
Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg you mentioned hired those who went to school to run their companies. The CEOs' basic education was MSc from tier 1 universities, some even with PhDs. Do a Google search on the CEOs of Microsoft, Google, Adobe Inc, Nvidia, Cisco Systems, Intel, IBM, etc.

I don't think we should bastardize our university system. If you are brilliant in the Nigerian university system, you shall be brilliant anywhere. There are Nigerian graduates with all their degrees from Nigerian universities who manage the entire IT infrastructure of large companies. A product of the University of Calabar was at the forefront of Covid19 vaccine research.

My argument is that university is not for everybody, and your thread has shown that it was not for you. I have a doctorate but my talents would have been manifested without tbe university system; it just might have taken more time. In the university, you don't only learn book, you learn relationships, networking, negotiation, resilience and character. Find your niche and build on it, whether in the university or in the streets. Nigerian universities are not bad.

PS: if you say we should reform our educational system to build each person's talent, very good. But to say the universities are useless is unacceptable.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Regret Going To The University by Bakare19: 8:56am On Dec 31, 2020
Biggie225:

Education is overrated

I disagree with this surmise. The context you approach the discourse is in reverse style - doesn't take away the priceless truth in being educated.

1 Like

Re: I Regret Going To The University by oxiide22(m): 8:59am On Dec 31, 2020
RainOnMe:
lipsrsealed

Please my little son is seriously sick and needs urgent medical attention. He is not eating and he is getting lean by the day. I can't afford anything now due to how broke I am as I was sacked from my security job early this month due to issue I'm 100% innocent of. Please help with any amount to buy him drugs etc. He is my first fruit please.

217*7589*481, Zenith Bank.
so touching
Re: I Regret Going To The University by cutewahid(m): 9:03am On Dec 31, 2020
dont always say school na scam...U say Nigerian school na scam
Re: I Regret Going To The University by Mayeldah(m): 9:04am On Dec 31, 2020
School is good bro, forget all these frustrations from people everywhere.

The problem is that most Nigerian students have this mindset of searching for job after school. Where this is not forth coming frustration comes in.

The Labour market is already over saturated, hundreds of thousands grduates every year but no available job. the few jobs available can only be gotten by those with connections or are experienced.

To appear competitive, you need to seek further skill acquisitions in IT and others, you need to take up jobs in the lower rung of the ladder to build experience. You may also pursue your dreams in other areas, not everyone that went to shool must work for someone or an organization.

above all, don't let frustration take hold on you, it could lead to other problems like suicide.

Nigeria is tough place to survive, you need to think out of the box to make albeit legally.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Regret Going To The University by Onyekamike(m): 9:07am On Dec 31, 2020
Thanks to you all that have contributed to this topic. It will go a long way in addressing some notions and misconception especially among teachers and students. I am a teacher and l have learned new things. Thank you once again to the writer of the topic and the contributors.

1 Like

Re: I Regret Going To The University by nowpresence(f): 9:07am On Dec 31, 2020
Bigfish121:
Education is more than going to school.it has to deal with the development of the mind.that is why irrespective of the amount of money you have,when I see the way you reason,I don't roll with you.That is why I always tell people that I can not stay in a place like Edo or Delta because of the kind of people that stay in that states.
Peace.

Edo or Delta?

can you please throw more light on this
Re: I Regret Going To The University by Essenza01: 9:14am On Dec 31, 2020
Biggie225:

Education is overrated

Do you smoke weed?
Re: I Regret Going To The University by ZUBY77(m): 9:20am On Dec 31, 2020
Biggie225:

Education is overrated

I knew this long ago. Today i am the richest young man in my local government.
If you cant discover yourself, you are wasting your time.
Re: I Regret Going To The University by Vaughanlanrewaj: 9:22am On Dec 31, 2020
lexy2014:

Going by ur example of abiola& Tinubu, then it means all accountants should be Giants in business & politics
No. It means becoming just a graduate is not enough. In fact, getting education is not enough, make the best of it.

The reason people struggle with education is because of the regimentation it imposes which runs contrary to human default setting.
Except you have a high level of self discipline, you will never wait till the end to reap from it.

Though what you study matters but if you don't study lucrative courses, try get First Class and be the best in what you do. It is what makes the outliers.

2 Likes

Re: I Regret Going To The University by lexy2014: 9:25am On Dec 31, 2020
Vaughanlanrewaj:

No. It means becoming just a graduate is not enough. In fact, getting education is not enough, make the best of it.

The reason people struggle with education is because of the regimentation it imposes which runs contrary to human default setting.
Except you have a high level of self discipline, you will never wait till the end to reap from it.

Though what you study matters but if you don't study lucrative courses, try get First Class and be the best in what you do. It is what makes the outliers.

These are u exact words:

"Asiwaju Tinubu and late Chief MKO Abiola, GCFR, still come to my mind as classic cases of where education counts. Both are accomplished first class accountants who brought their discipline into politics and business."

U are just going round in circles.
Re: I Regret Going To The University by profmallor: 9:26am On Dec 31, 2020
There is a huge difference between what the Learning Institutions offer compared to the skill and knowledge required to be a successful entrepreneur in Life. Most people get disappointed at the realization that a Degree does not guarantee financial liberty, so they conclude that education most be a scam moreso that people less educated might be more successful.
Re: I Regret Going To The University by lexy2014: 9:27am On Dec 31, 2020
PassionJava:
The 5G COVID-19 vaccine link isn't difficult to understand...

The COVID-19 alters the DNA when inserted into the human body, although is actually an artificial machine and not just a biological tool. Now, when inserted, the biological/programmed tool goes into " DORMANCY " where it lies low but is interacted with a super central server and monitored through a virtual central server where it's effects, works are monitored as well as the host carrier.

When in its host the super computer has the entire life of its host and the process may not be easily reversed. It will be secret for now. But this truth will blow out within the next 3 years. For now stay safe, this is just the exact human version of genetically modified crops. Once inserted, it sends signals to a central server and can also receive instructions from an external source against the free will of. It's host.

Do not take the COVID-19 vaccine. Do not. It alters your DNA forever.

Which "central server" is that?
Re: I Regret Going To The University by sircatherine45(m): 9:33am On Dec 31, 2020
ProfAmaben:

Oga, school no be scam o! Everything I've achieved is strongly linked to my degrees. School is a hugely misunderstood concept in Nigeria.

If you don't have functional laboratories where you can practice your course as a physicist or chemist, how can such a student strive? The answer is that the student should go to any factory and volunteer (free) service. When this student gets into the industry, all those chemical reaction and other complex topics that wasn't understood earlier begins to make sense.

Every student should think out of the box also. Think of problems and become the solution. I've seen that farm products are expensive and become unnecessarily inflated by middlemen, I am currently working on an application that would enable final customers buy directly from this farmers from the comfort of their homes. A logistic company would be partnered with to achieve this, customers would pay a token of 5,000 yearly to access this site.

Can you see how a graduate should think and put his knowledge to good use?

School is great, applying wisdom is greater.

If knowledge is expensive, try ignorance.

Please do the app. We are waiting
Re: I Regret Going To The University by ProfAmaben(m): 9:38am On Dec 31, 2020
austinauto:

Sir for the logistic we can handle Lagos. Please message me when you are ready. Thanks

No problem, amabentechnologies@gmail.com . Kindly message me here to get your contact. It should be running by March.
Re: I Regret Going To The University by deeva2: 9:40am On Dec 31, 2020
ostechno:

Education is not necessarily schooling, infact schooling is just a small part of education. We are in the age where schooling is less effective for self development. In school, students are made to compete for grades, the schooling system 100 years ago is still thesame as today, Every other things have changed, did you know people have different way of learning, some prefer learning when they are alone, some learn buy drawing, some people won't understand what they read in a book untill they watch videos, some learn by commiting themselves to practicals only, but school has always remain thesame, go to classroom, the lecturer teach all students who has different convinient way of learn thesame way, in the end, you get thesame exam for grading, some will fail, some will pass excellently. The way people are being lectured in school today doesn't help student discover themselves, they put that fear in you and limit you to only what you're being taught. A while ago when I was in secondary school, the teacher gave us an exam, he asked us "what are some examples of tools used for 'something'", I gave him the answers of the tools I've learned by myself online, and he marked me wrong, because he didn't know about it. Don't let what you're taught in school limit you, self discovery is what matters the most.
When I was in 100 level, our lecturer asked us to give examples of Operation System in CPE 101 class, the someone said Android OS, and the lecturer asked, is Android an OS?, I said to myself WOW, these lecturers are outdated. These people live in 19th century.
Alot of thing have changed but they don't know, new things are being invented everyday, if you limit yourself to what you're taught in school, you can never invent any good. Please use the available tools (most especially the internet) to discover yourself, you'll be surprised how the wold is changing.
Another thing about student who limit themselves to school is that "they are not good decision makers", students can't come up with original ideas again. Don't be surprise the exams you write is affecting student, the teacher choose for you, they choose the questions they give you, you're made to choose answers from objective questions, is it A, or B, or C or D. students are not allowed to come up with original thought again, they're made to choose, things would be worse now that most university wants to start making all exams CBT, all the questions would be objective. This alone affects student's ability to make decision In real-time.
All I'm going to say is don't limit yourself to what they teach you in school, everything is changing.
At the moment the world is even better off without the current schooling system. That's why I love Finland so much, the have the best schooling system in the world but it's still not good enough
To me, the internet is the new universities the and it can be a source of 90% of what you'll ever learn, 90 percent of the things I know today is not what I learned from school, its the power of the internet.
Peace
NICE ONE....SCHOOLING IN NIGERIA IS SOMETHING ELSE...THE BEST EDUCATION NOW IS TO KNOW HOW TO READ, WRITE, SPEAK AND SELF DEVELOPMENT..
Re: I Regret Going To The University by LordKO(m): 9:42am On Dec 31, 2020
No, education isn't overrated. It can't be overrated because it encompasses formal and informal ways of learning - the legends of the different spheres of life you mentioned are educated, albeit some of them informally or didn't school up to or finish schooling at tertiary institutions. There's, however, something wrong with the formal ways of imparting knowledge of some courses to learners at tertiary institutions around the world. But even at that, the system never denies anyone their liberty of resourcefulness.

Education remains the key to success in particular and the advancement of the world, in general. It has never failed anyone, but most people have failed because they lack grit, and they've refused or do not have the ability to gain a proper education.

Don't regret going to university; instead, if you've failed, regret the fact that you lack grit and resourcefulness. Owing up the responsibility of your failure is the surest way to rise above board.

4 Likes

Re: I Regret Going To The University by Aguilar(m): 9:45am On Dec 31, 2020
olorun school na scam
Re: I Regret Going To The University by usmantoski(m): 9:47am On Dec 31, 2020
I want us to know that school is not a building where we go and sit our asses off, it is a place of training in any field you want be it academics, sport, entertainment or anything you can think of. I pity this our generation that keeps on ranting school na scam upandan, because you've failed doesn't mean others won't put their nose up front.
The likes of Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg and Co. are who they are today because they went to school, the school taught them how to discover themselves, in that school they learnt how to make solutions for humanity, if not for the experience and dealings Mark Zuckerberg had at Harvard he won't had met the friends, discovered the idea for Facebook, as a dropout he learnt something from Harvard.
If Cristiano and Messi had not passed through the school/academy of football they wouldn't have gained mastery of their talents.
But, the summary of everything is that our people had lost hope on the dignity of hardworking where you get in a school, but wanna compare themselves with people that didn't go into the building called school.

Let's wise up

3 Likes

Re: I Regret Going To The University by sammysmiles(m): 9:53am On Dec 31, 2020
jericco1:
School no be scam na person wey finish dey call school scam. Tell am make e burn em certificates, him go dey look you one kind.

grin
Why e go burn am?
Re: I Regret Going To The University by frankson1(m): 9:57am On Dec 31, 2020
Ayhisha:

This one that you are sharing your project with the public.

My mind is already thinking into his project plan grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: I Regret Going To The University by toolovely(m): 9:58am On Dec 31, 2020
Nigerian school system is rubbish. A university system still using 1970s curriculum in this time and age. The curriculum has nothing to do with the jobs of today. You will spend 5 years and still come out to do a course in the name of professional courses. I still remember doing a so called instrumentation course in the school. All we did was busy deriving and calculating. In telecommunications, no one is teaching you how to configure anything.
And probably, after graduation, you don't have money to do any of those certifications, you will see someone who study religion coming to do your job simply because he spent three months to acquire the certification.

Which means, a secondary school leaver can decide to aquire the relevant certifications without going to school and will be more relevant than a graduate.

What stops our universities from getting licences from Cisco's, Huawei, Ericsson, Project Management bodies, etc to have these courses in our school systems so that as a graduate of that program, you are equipped with the basic skills that's required of you.

People who should be talking about certifications should be people who want to switch to another career.

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Delta State Polytechnic Stadium, Ozoro In Pictures / EFCC Raids Boys Hostel In Nekede Polytechnic (VIDEO) / Federal Poly Nekede Putme Out: Cutoff 160: Exam Date Fixed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 143
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.