Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,860 members, 7,810,287 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:41 AM

What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV (39543 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by officialsaw01(m): 9:01pm On Jan 10, 2021
Ishilove:

This so rude. How is it by the way? You comment on the Op of a thread and still say "that's by the way" and redirect readers to another thread?

Please don't be unfortunate.
Haha! madam take it easy o, na ur home boy he be o.

1 Like

Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by ayovenice(m): 9:01pm On Jan 10, 2021
[quote author=naptu2 post=97692393][/quote]you forgot to mention Dr who,rentaghost,one dog series like that that the black one is wicked to the yellow one,telematch..... the good old days
Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by Wantedmiller: 9:02pm On Jan 10, 2021
What of "Ukwa Ruo Oge ya"?
Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by Kingsasian(m): 9:04pm On Jan 10, 2021
AgainstIslam:

If you haven't read The African Child too, please do.
i last read the African child when i was 16 and ever since I have been searching for either the hard copy or soft copy without any success. Do you have any clue where the soft copy can be gotten, please?
Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by GeneralPula: 9:05pm On Jan 10, 2021
The simplest way to enjoy English is by reading Primary 1-5 comprehensive books..

I read em till this point..

3 Likes

Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by Karlifate: 9:05pm On Jan 10, 2021
Where is Ralia: The Sugar Girl, Trials of Brother Jero, Animal Farm

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by Rugaria: 9:07pm On Jan 10, 2021
Zambia shall be Free..
Great read..
Remember getting surprised when during my primary assignment in the north, I met this young boy whose name was Kenneth Kauda....., An Igbo boy. Apparently his father was a great Kenneth Kauda fan... Btw, Kenneth Kauda is still alive. The great man no gree die..

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by wayisshut: 9:08pm On Jan 10, 2021
PACESETTERS SERIES

DELINQUINT

THE CYCLIST

I LOVE THE SERIES

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by ruffDiamond: 9:09pm On Jan 10, 2021
Great Expectation by Charles Dickens
Arrow of God,Ezeulu as lead character, by Achebe
Girl at war
the concubine Amadi Elechi
Jane Eyre
The three musketeers
Robinson Crusoe
Animal farm ,George Orwell
all the pacesetter series(sisi,juju rock,too cold for comfort etc by Osa Director and other writers)
WO,my head nearly bust!

Today I read mostly Clancy. Mario puzo,Michael chricton,Ludlum, brilliant best sellers

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by Ishilove: 9:09pm On Jan 10, 2021
budaatum:

I so love you Ishi.
I love you more buda

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by milky3(f): 9:10pm On Jan 10, 2021
*The trial of Jimmy Johnson *The joy of motherhood *Animal farm etc
Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by Dpaulie(m): 9:11pm On Jan 10, 2021
Ogboju ode ninu Igbo irunmale
Igbo olodumare
Aditu olodumare
Irinkerindo ninu igbo elegbeje
Ireke onibudo

3 Likes

Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by Ishilove: 9:12pm On Jan 10, 2021
homehunters:
Why don't I usually see MINE BOY as one of the books we read in those day, I don't know how many people on nairaland has actually read it. It's really a lovely novel.
I have read it. The protagonist is a big guy who was a bit like Brock Lesnar. Lol. Apartheid era novel

1 Like

Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by miidae(f): 9:12pm On Jan 10, 2021
An African night entertainment I’ll love to read it again
Animal farm by George Orwell - beast of England
Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by Exmilitant(m): 9:13pm On Jan 10, 2021
The Black Boy, Gulliver's travel, adventures of Tom Sawyer. The African Child. The adventures of Souza. Weep not child. The Passport of Mallam Illia.Things fall apart. Arrow of God. Very few people had television in the community then. Instead of joining others to peep from the window, i gorged myself in books.
Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by emonis88: 9:13pm On Jan 10, 2021
I read comics more.
Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by Kingosytex(m): 9:13pm On Jan 10, 2021
A grain of wheat by Ngugi wa Thiong.

Ngugi na literary monster.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by Ishilove: 9:16pm On Jan 10, 2021
joseph1832:
Botti ke? I've never seen myself as such. Always believed where I grew up was Hell until lately when I started hearing people talk about their childhood, then I realise I actually enjoyed every bit of it. Growing up was fun. I mean we had uninterrupted power supply. What didn't I watch? Frankly I didn't miss much either.
Uninterrupted power supply!?! Where did you grow up, Mr Joseph? VGC?
Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by Nobody: 9:17pm On Jan 10, 2021
Ishilove:
This was our Netflix back in the days...

I'm telling you. I still go to the Youread library till now to read all these. The one I was reading before the lockdown was joy of motherhood.

I still love to read books now. Used to go to yaba then just to buy novels to read before they demolished the railway and those guys that sell books never came back.

Pics of Youread library I use.
At first pics is my best sitting spot.
Last pics is the waiting ground when the seats are occupied but that hardly happens except during exams period.yabatech and unilag students will fill the whole seats.

Very lovely place to relax and read.

2 Likes

Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by pharmagba: 9:21pm On Jan 10, 2021
Ishilove:

There used to be the Pacesetters series
-Sisi
- blood bath at lobster close
Etc I forgotten most I read

1 Like

Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by pharmagba: 9:23pm On Jan 10, 2021
Dpaulie:
Ogboju ode ninu Igbo irunmale
Igbo olodumare
Aditu olodumare
Irinkerindo ninu igbo elegbeje
Ireke onibudo
I need these books

1 Like

Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by Bishop(m): 9:25pm On Jan 10, 2021
[quote author=naptu2 post=97692393][/quote]

Good old days, good old days. I was in the North then, in Bauchi, there was no TV station at that time so when we moved back to Maiduguri again then did i continue to enjoy my Indian film.

Moving to Lagos in 81 precisely and your your write up resonates with me

1 Like

Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by iamJ(m): 9:25pm On Jan 10, 2021
una ignore local companies like iroko, gum Netflix and u complain about exchange rate.
Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by pharmagba: 9:26pm On Jan 10, 2021
wayisshut:
PACESETTERS SERIES

DELINQUINT

THE CYCLIST

I LOVE THE SERIES
Yes
Sisi
Blood bath at lobster close
Etc
Love those books

Do we have such series nowadays
Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by bluefilm: 9:27pm On Jan 10, 2021
Ishilove:

www.nairaland.com/attachments/12933489_fbimg1609702958637_jpeg76db421bc8913b8f780e1498f1cb7cd6

Choi

Hanty Ishi, for you to have entertained yourself with these books, E mean say you don old o.

From today, I go dey respect you like the senior citizen you are.

1 Like

Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by Ishilove: 9:27pm On Jan 10, 2021
CalliDora1:

I'm telling you. I still go to the Youread library till now to read all these. The one I was reading before the lockdown was joy of motherhood.

I still love to read books now. Used to go to yaba then just to buy novels to read before they demolished the railway and those guys that sell books never came back.

Pics of Youread library I use.
At first pics is my best sitting spot.
Last pics is the waiting ground when the seats are occupied but that hardly happens except during exams period.yabatech and unilag students will fill the whole seats.

Very lovely place to relax and read.
The ambience looks lovely. Back then when I was still in my undergraduate level I was always frequenting underbridge to see if I could find Jagua Nana. Unfortunately I couldn't and still can't till date. I was told it has been out of print for a very long time
Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by mu2sa2: 9:30pm On Jan 10, 2021
In those days all these books were available in the school library. So, you had access to them. There's no way you couldn't have read some of these books as a secondary school student. Why nobody has mentioned James Hardley Chase? I recall a particular guy that always had a copy of Chase's book with him, even in the lavatory where he'd be reading and doing his thing at the sametime! Sadly, very sad indeed, these days schools don't even have libraries- absolutely unbelievable!

2 Likes

Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by Mode4: 9:34pm On Jan 10, 2021
Ishilove:

I'm surprise I have read all these books mostly when I was in secondary school in early 2000 to 2008
Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by Ishilove: 9:35pm On Jan 10, 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMIKJG3uUWQ

Naptu2, this is bittersweet because it makes me remember the carefree days of childhood and innocence that is forever lost.

Thanks for this hon smiley

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by Ishilove: 9:36pm On Jan 10, 2021
mu2sa2:
In those days all these books were available in the school library. So, you had access to them. Sadly, very sad indeed,
these days many schools don't even have library- absolutely unbelievable!
Seriously? shocked
Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by tommy589(m): 9:36pm On Jan 10, 2021
[quote author=naptu2 post=97692393][/quote]

Sweet memories before the ugly side of life

Lwt and Nta 2 were the best then. My mother will send us from the parlour to our room in the middle of enjoying action packed movie on LWT . Till today I don't know how me and my brother managed to convince her in letting us have TV in our own room. We contributed 120 naira from our pocket money to buy Tatung black and white. I later realised my bother cheated me.He bought it at 80 naira.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 83rd Birthday Today / Kumalo................supreme Confraternities / The Badboy Diary / Fiction Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.