Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,845 members, 7,810,256 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:01 AM

What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV - Literature (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV (39541 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by GeneralPula: 10:31pm On Jan 10, 2021
HCF:

I thought I was the only one with such weird pastime; I gather story books, recommended textbooks, both English and Yoruba, many of which I read in the 80s and start reading all over again....It gives me this unique sense of nostalgia!�

Respect Pap cuz Im 90s..

Same with me too Pap. I have most of my Primary books intact..
Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by Chirowman(m): 10:33pm On Jan 10, 2021
The good old days
Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by hstar: 10:43pm On Jan 10, 2021
aroundtheearth:
I'm still an avid reader at my leisure.
Please how are you still able to do so?

I lost my reading passion and appetite around 2017 when things were rough and tough for me

Please how are you doing it?
Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by wayisshut: 10:43pm On Jan 10, 2021
[quote author=pharmagba post=97929357]
Yes
Sisi
Blood bath at lobster close
Etc
Love those books

Do we have such series nowadays

I don't think so and moreover so many things dragging our attention
Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by tygar(m): 10:52pm On Jan 10, 2021
Ishilove:

The ambience looks lovely. Back then when I was still in my undergraduate level I was always frequenting underbridge to see if I could find Jagua Nana. Unfortunately I couldn't and still can't till date. I was told it has been out of print for a very long time
check this link out for the soft copy of jagua nana
https://b-ok.africa/book/5034696/bf0c5b

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by bhella10: 10:53pm On Jan 10, 2021
EdCure:

It's a very wonderful piece of literature.

"That was how Emenike died."

That was the last line in the novel. I still remember those saddening words after reading that novel more than five times in my teenage years.

I was sad for almost a week the first time I finished that book.
One of my most memorable African literature. I was sad for emenike the gods really dealt with him. I enjoyed ' Time Changes Yesterday' By Nyengi koin or something
Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by jagorinho: 11:03pm On Jan 10, 2021
Dpaulie:
Ogboju ode ninu Igbo irunmale
Igbo olodumare
Aditu olodumare
Irinkerindo ninu igbo elegbeje
Ireke onibudo

Do you know if there is an English version of Ogboju ode ninu Igbo irunmole or where I can get the e format of any version available to you?
The author of that book would make a good series writer nowadays, very top notch imaginations.
Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by markovnikoff001(m): 11:07pm On Jan 10, 2021
Omo! I almost started crying when I saw those books posted there...melancholic nostalgia
Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by cosmos1440: 11:10pm On Jan 10, 2021
Sixfeetbelle:

Somehow, I can't seem to remember what this book was about but I am pretty sure I've read it. At least I believe I have.
The African Child was an autobiography of the author Camara Laye. He was born and raised in Guinea. After his education, he traveled to France, either for more study or for work, (can't remember which, right now). While in France he got bored and decided to write about his childhood and growing up in his rural village in Guinea . . .That book is a masterpiece.
Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by chatinent: 11:12pm On Jan 10, 2021
The Drummer Boy.

The book that made Uncle Uwate flog me like an animal.
Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by Sixfeetbelle: 11:12pm On Jan 10, 2021
cosmos1440:

The African Child was an autobiography of the author Camara Laye. He was born and raised in Guinea. After his education, he traveled to France, either for more study or for work, (can't remember which, right now). While in France he got bored and decided to write about his childhood and growing up in his rural village in Guinea . . .That book is a masterpiece.

Okay.

Thanks for the description although it's still vague.
Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by trendyteekay: 11:14pm On Jan 10, 2021
OP, please, can you or anyone help with the soft copy of "Passport of Mallam Ilia" by Cyprain Ekwensi?
Ishilove:
This was our Netflix back in the days...
Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by alleazardous(m): 11:15pm On Jan 10, 2021
Omo.. this trend just brought back memories. Pls I need the pdf of "The gods are not to blame" pls help anybody
Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by Komu1048(m): 11:19pm On Jan 10, 2021
Ishilove:

Ishii love so you are member of the book club
Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by Josh86: 11:23pm On Jan 10, 2021
Wow,fond memories,my favorite books where she stoops to conquer,taming of the shrewd and chinua anichebes books...these were the books that makes one fall in love with schooling
Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by Nobody: 11:25pm On Jan 10, 2021
grin
Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by Nobody: 11:27pm On Jan 10, 2021
Ishilove:

Jagua Nunu
Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by pocohantas(f): 11:28pm On Jan 10, 2021
Ishi this thread is for evening newspapers. I enjoyed my childhood with cartoons and one hideous dollie-baby. Thank you

2 Likes

Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by 9icedudie(m): 11:32pm On Jan 10, 2021
[quote author=naptu2 post=97692393][/quote]
interesting comment, far better than the post
Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by N3cR0mAZc3R(m): 11:43pm On Jan 10, 2021
Oh my my... I missed the good ol' days.
I feel like crying, someone should please hand me a tissue to wipe my tears cry

I'll also like to add more.

Koku baboni
ralia the sugar girl
Agbo lives in Calabar
Mr and Mrs Bako
The incorruptible judge.

1 Like

Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by Liposure: 11:46pm On Jan 10, 2021
Once in a while i binge read Mission to kala and the potter's wheel....these were books my mom read in her youth
Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by jupitre(m): 11:51pm On Jan 10, 2021
How time flies..
Children of nowadays hardly read all these..They are okay with social media....I can remember reading all these books, including the yoruba,ogboju ode ninu Igbo irunmole,Adiitu Olodumare,ireke onibudo by fagunwa.They were good days..
Anybody with link or way to get Burning Grass by Cyprian ekwensi??

1 Like

Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by jupitre(m): 11:51pm On Jan 10, 2021
Liposure:
Once in a while i binge read Mission to kala and the potter's wheel....these were books my mom read in her youth
Where can I get potters wheel
I need to read it again
Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by Detolanny(m): 11:56pm On Jan 10, 2021
Dpaulie:
Ogboju ode ninu Igbo irunmale
Igbo olodumare
Aditu olodumare
Irinkerindo ninu igbo elegbeje
Ireke onibudo

Oshey, ęyin ti D.O. Fagunwa
Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by doncheks: 12:00am On Jan 11, 2021
Oh. What a trip down memory lane.
I wish there was an online book club where people with similar interests can read and discuss some of these titles in groups.

Please I have been looking for these titles for a while
Time Changes Yesterday - Nyengi Koin
A Second Chance - Nyengi Koin

Any help is appreciated.

For anyone else looking for some classics, here are a few sites suggested by some amazing individuals on this thread
https://b-ok.africa/
https://m.box.com/shared_item/https%3A%2F%2Fapp.box.com%2Fs%2Fnqhb77opmxde5fm2owoo?page=6#folder-navigation

I came across this one below but it appears it's not free like the previous ones.
https://afribookhub.com/
Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by Detolanny(m): 12:08am On Jan 11, 2021
jagorinho:

Do you know if there is an English version of Ogboju ode ninu Igbo irunmole or where I can get the e format of any version available to you?
The author of that book would make a good series writer nowadays, very top notch imaginations.
Prof. Wole Soyinka actually did an English translation titled "A forest of a thousand demons"
Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by nihilistjnr: 12:10am On Jan 11, 2021
chatinent:
The Drummer Boy.

The book that made Uncle Uwate flog me like an animal.

Drummer boy was another fantastic one, the blind kid
Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by leesi11(m): 12:11am On Jan 11, 2021

My brother... You chop life
Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by jagorinho: 12:16am On Jan 11, 2021
Detolanny:

Prof. Wole Soyinka actually did an English translation titled "A forest of a thousand demons"
Thanks
where can one get it?
Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by franktolk(m): 12:32am On Jan 11, 2021

Thank you so much for that "Chariot of Fire" I've searched for it many times
Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by madjune(m): 12:43am On Jan 11, 2021
These books sparked our imagination as kids and has its lasting impact.

Literacy level of the 80s and 90s were so high, unlike what we have today from millennials.

I remember books like The Madness of Didi by Obi Egbuna, One week One Trouble which featured Wilson Tagbo.
Many others, there was little room for TV or other distraction in those days, really.

1 Like

Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by nahzyla: 12:47am On Jan 11, 2021
I got so many memories
Really feeling nostalgic right now.....

While going through the thread I remembered Wole Soyinka the lion and the jewel, I still feel bad for Sidi.
She was lied to and raped.

I know the book was fiction but I hated the story cos of that.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 83rd Birthday Today / Kumalo................supreme Confraternities / The Badboy Diary / Fiction Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.