Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,608 members, 7,809,232 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:09 AM

What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV - Literature (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV (39534 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by DeePsychologist(m): 9:37pm On Jan 10, 2021
Ishilove where can I see those books to read again biko
Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by femi4: 9:37pm On Jan 10, 2021
Ishilove:
This was our Netflix back in the days...
Trial of Bro Jero

Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by Ishilove: 9:37pm On Jan 10, 2021
pharmagba:

There used to be the Pacesetters series
-Sisi
- blood bath at lobster close
Etc I forgotten most I read
Dickson Ighiavini. smiley

Can't remember who wrote Sisi. It's been so long
Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by Ray07(m): 9:38pm On Jan 10, 2021
nihilistjnr:

Damn...I used to look forward to the reading list ahead of each school year. I would finish all the literature books in the summer before 1st term resumption.

You're missing a couple of the top including 'Thr bottled Leopard', 'Thr trials of brother Jero', and 'Cry the beloved country'

Obviously all the chinua achebe and Cyprian ekwensi books as well.
Akpan and the smugglers
Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by mccloud224(m): 9:39pm On Jan 10, 2021
Ishilove:

This so rude. How is it by the way? You comment on the Op of a thread and still say "that's by the way" and redirect readers to another thread?

Please don't be unfortunate.

Yes, it was rude.....

What do you mean by "don't be unfortunate"? Was that a threat to him coz you can ban and unban coz you are a mod? Is this what nairaland has been reduced to? I have been watching you newbies cum acting gods for the past couple of years without commenting. Na una go destroy this forum.

There was nairaland!!!

2 Likes

Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by Ishilove: 9:39pm On Jan 10, 2021
DeePsychologist:
Ishilove where can I see those books to read again biko
Some are here

[url]https://m.box.com/shared_item/https%3A%2F%2Fapp.box.com%2Fs%2Fnqhb77opmxde5fm2owoo?page=1[/url]
Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by Babaplato(m): 9:40pm On Jan 10, 2021
Where is 'Sugar girl'.

1 Like

Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by joseph1832(m): 9:42pm On Jan 10, 2021
Ishilove:

Uninterrupted power supply!?! Where did you grow up, Mr Joseph? VGC?
Nope. Somewhere in Ikeja where it's safe and sound and discipline is enforced.
Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by Ishilove: 9:42pm On Jan 10, 2021
mccloud224:

Yes, it was rude.....

What do you mean by "don't be unfortunate"? Was that a threat to him coz you can ban and unban coz you are a mod? Is this what nairaland has been reduced to? I have been watching you newbies cum acting gods for the past couple of years without commenting. Na una go destroy this forum.

There was nairaland!!!
Ogbeni faraburuku ba le ko geddifok. I wasn't threatening anybaddy. Koshi danu o jare
Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by delpee(f): 9:45pm On Jan 10, 2021
Great memories! Life has changed so much. It has become more impersonal.
Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by mu2sa2: 9:48pm On Jan 10, 2021
tommy589:

Sweet memories before the ugly side of life

Lwt and Nta 2 were the best then. My mother will send us from the parlour to our room in the middle of enjoying action packed movie on LWT . Till today I don't know how me and my brother managed to convince her in letting us have TV in our own room. We contributed 120 naira from our pocket money to buy Tatung black and white. I later realised my bother cheated me.He bought it at 80 naira.
"I later realised my bother cheated me.He bought it at 80 naira." I would rather you say he outsmarted you. Such is life - you yourself did outsmart mummy many times.

1 Like

Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by Idaytesj29(m): 9:48pm On Jan 10, 2021
Ishilove:
This'd was our Netflix back in the days...

@Ishilove add Elechi Amadi- the concubine too.

I really enjoyed the novel

1 Like

Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by Edusouls(m): 9:48pm On Jan 10, 2021
The good old days is gone forever, I pity this modern generation for they were born into bad times

1 Like

Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by nihilistjnr: 9:50pm On Jan 10, 2021
Ray07:
Akpan and the smugglers

Wasnt that the one that had One-eyed Sunday in it?

Damn what a throw back

1 Like

Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by EdCure: 9:51pm On Jan 10, 2021
Kingosytex:
A grain of wheat by Ngugi wa Thiong.

Ngugi na literary monster.
Indeed he was. I read two of his books: Weep Not, Child, and A Grain of Wheat. Great books.

There is also one that nobody is talking about: Sizwe Banzi is Dead, by Athol Fugard - a South African writer.
Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by HCF(m): 9:51pm On Jan 10, 2021
GeneralPula:
The simplest way to enjoy English is by reading Primary 1-5 comprehensive books..

I read em till this point..
I thought I was the only one with such weird pastime; I gather story books, recommended textbooks, both English and Yoruba, many of which I read in the 80s and start reading all over again....It gives me this unique sense of nostalgia!�

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by Nobody: 9:53pm On Jan 10, 2021
Ishilove:

The ambience looks lovely. Back then when I was still in my undergraduate level I was always frequenting underbridge to see if I could find Jagua Nana. Unfortunately I couldn't and still can't till date. I was told it has been out of print for a very long time

Thanks to Fashola.

Go to Youread library, you'll find it there. They have some really old books. And even if it's not available, you can book for it and they'll get it.
Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by saaron(m): 9:56pm On Jan 10, 2021
Where can I find this book 'Sauna' by Jack? Its a very old book. And funny as well. The book is about an orphant almajiri boy in the north during colonial times before Nigeria got independence.
Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by Kingosytex(m): 9:56pm On Jan 10, 2021
EdCure:

Indeed he was. I read two of his books: Weep Not, Child, and A Grain of Wheat. Great books.

The is also one that nobody is talking about: Sizes Banzi is Dead, by Athol Fugard - a South African writer.

The is also one that nobody is talking about: [b]Sizwe Banzi is Dead, by Athol Fugard
- a South African writer.

I read that book in my Jss3 or so.

It is a very interesting piece.
Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by mu2sa2: 10:03pm On Jan 10, 2021
Ishilove:

Seriously? shocked
Ah, are you not living in this federation? Check out any nearby dilapidated government school and you'll be shocked to the marrow. Politicians have destroyed everything. As one european historian said, democracy has little virtue on its own - in the hands of good men, it works; but, it in the hands of evil men, it only brings on disaster.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by oseiwe(m): 10:03pm On Jan 10, 2021
[quote author=naptu2 post=97692393][/quote]
Thank God for MCU.
Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by Coolbite(m): 10:06pm On Jan 10, 2021
The good Old days without social media distraction and corruption

Below is a good book to help your child learn to read in the shortest possible time

Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by Coolbite(m): 10:07pm On Jan 10, 2021
The Passport to Literecy

Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by wyqay: 10:07pm On Jan 10, 2021
good old days

1 Like

Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by cosmos1440: 10:10pm On Jan 10, 2021
budaatum:

Naptu's description of life in the 70s and 80s is very not pretty consistent with the childhood of many. And no, nihili, I am not accusing you in any way of saying it was because, you didn't.

In the 70s I had to lug 3 buckets of water up to the third floor where we lived and when the transformer in front of the house blew up, which was just about every 6 months, we'd have no light for 3. The only electronics in the house till Festac 77 was the huge Blaupunkt ma insisted in bringing home from UK and the fridge. Imagine the bliss of world radios when we did have light. Thankfully, candles, lanterns and a torchlight when batteries could be afforded, were good for reading.

In the early 80s we moved to a ground floor but water moved like half a kilometre away and electric was like on a never never. Thankfully, the house behind ours was better pass we the neighbours and I just stuck my book out the window all night and read with the neighbours noisy light which worked for most books but not for studying Maths.

By the mid 80s, childhood? Telly? Not if you want chop you wouldn't, though like Naptu, midnight telly turned down low so as not to get caught, was fun when there was light. But after running along buses all day selling canned coke and eggs you might imagine how night was for sleep alone.

These books saved my life Ishi! I'd have been ignorant and dead otherwise. Some can be downloaded here

I doff my heart Sir,
Thank God bibliophiles like us can always run to apps like oceanofpdf so that we won't lose our sanity.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by Dpaulie(m): 10:13pm On Jan 10, 2021
pharmagba:

I need these books
Where do u live?
Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by EdCure: 10:16pm On Jan 10, 2021
Idaytesj29:

@Ishilove add Elechi Amadi- the concubine too.

I really enjoyed the novel
It's a very wonderful piece of literature.

"That was how Emenike died."

That was the last line in the novel. I still remember those saddening words after reading that novel more than five times in my teenage years.

I was sad for almost a week the first time I finished that book.

3 Likes

Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by cosmos1440: 10:22pm On Jan 10, 2021
Ishilove:
This was our Netflix back in the days...

Passport of Mallam Illia and Arabian Nights Entertainment were my childhood thrillers.

I was later introduced to Allan Quatermain (fictional character created by Sir Rider Haggard) and James Hadley Chase, since then I've been an incorrigible bibliophile.
Even in this digital age, apps like manybooks, wapfever and my latest love oceanofpdf are my constant companions

2 Likes

Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by mach7(m): 10:23pm On Jan 10, 2021
Anyone with an idea of where to get these books in Lagos?

Will love to keep them in a personal library.
Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by FLESHnBLOOD(m): 10:25pm On Jan 10, 2021
Wow wow wow.. I'm touched... Seeing this brought back sweet old memories. cheesy
Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by Sixfeetbelle: 10:27pm On Jan 10, 2021
AgainstIslam:

If you haven't read The African Child too, please do.

Somehow, I can't seem to remember what this book was about but I am pretty sure I've read it. At least I believe I have.
Re: What We Entertained Ourselves With Before Cable TV by BabaIbo: 10:27pm On Jan 10, 2021
There is a novel I am looking for.

It is about the adventures of different knights, I think they're 7 in numbers. They fought different beasts.
One of them have oak tree on his shoulder.

I read it when I was a teen, I enjoyed it. I have been searching for the title or who can always help me with the title for some time and now.

Any idea?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Wole Soyinka Celebrates His 83rd Birthday Today / Kumalo................supreme Confraternities / The Badboy Diary / Fiction Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.