Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,306 members, 7,811,910 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:16 PM

Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate (12674 Views)

'I Wanted Okonjo-Iweala As VP To Buhari' - Obasanjo / Why Buhari Rejected Wali As Acting INEC Chairman - PM News / Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala Look-Alike (Picture) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by justokey(m): 12:25pm On Mar 30, 2011
The day i confirm that the BB team has anything to do with either OBJ or IBB, my vote, my families' votes and my friends' votes will be lost by Buhari. If what is narrated is true, it consolidates my resolve to vote for and campaign more for the BB ticket. The root cause of the corruption in government today is Godfatherism!
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by Nobody: 12:25pm On Mar 30, 2011
Has anybody on this thread consider the fact that Buhari might feel intimidated in the presence of Iweala and he may not always have his way if he chose her.
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by sammhi(m): 12:26pm On Mar 30, 2011
Wise decision by Buhari. you are more than fit  to be president. you saw the bait and dodged it. so why didnt the FOX OBJ pick her to run with yardua? non sense talk!!  . IBB and OBJ just wanted to  throw confusion  into the Buhari camp.
i wonder what kind of person is Bakare hoodwinking with  like of OBJ who is even in another party. chei, this Bakare dont know his left from right o !. what business has OBJ suggesting to another party who they should pick or not?
this is aburd and once more my hat for Buhari for his  discernment.!
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by ideylaff: 12:27pm On Mar 30, 2011
Has anybody on this thread consider the fact that Buhari might feel intimidated in the presence of Iweka and he may not always have his way if he chose her.

Absolute Rubbish where is her Political clout apart from her so called overhyped International CV,

Na soo we dey big up so many things for nija, Goldman sachs ds n that,

Wetin World bank dey do wey poverty full ground all over the place,

That institution's does more damage than good around the world, its actually there to finish the 3rd world

You give me money with one hand and you use all the other hands to take it back. issshhhh

Do you know how many MD's the Quango Organization called World bank has,  shocked

What's so special about Okonjo,

Politics don't play like that,

They want to eat from the pot of stew they never cooked,  idiots
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by JAZES(m): 12:30pm On Mar 30, 2011
woodcook:

Has anybody on this thread consider the fact that Buhari might feel intimidated in the presence of Iweka and he may not always have his way if he chose her. grin

I DONT THINK SO MAN
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by PeeDaVinci: 12:31pm On Mar 30, 2011
woodcook:

Has anybody on this thread consider the fact that Buhari might feel intimidated in the presence of Iweala and he may not always have his way if he chose her.

actually on the contrary, iweala is soft-spoken and may not always have her way with buhari, and in a country where the post of vp is constitutionally ceremonial, she may be forced to resign by being made redundant. and that is what make bakare better - bakare can fight buhari if buhari is going "wayward"
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by MaiSuya(m): 12:32pm On Mar 30, 2011
Anybody going into any deal with OBJ or IBB must be a desperate office seeker--and there are plenty of them, by the way-- for whom principles mean nothing.

Or they must be insane.   angry
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by ideylaff: 12:32pm On Mar 30, 2011
No mind that Baba jare,

OBJ that does not listen to anyone now wants someone to listen to him, LOL

Is this not the same Okonjo Iweala that OBJ disgraced by faxing over her appointment letter as Extremal Affairs Minister to the Embassy in London because she was in London (OBJ's excuse), OBJ could not even phone her to tell her in person.

Even her father confirmed this.
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by johnjoel(m): 12:39pm On Mar 30, 2011
sai buhari cool :p :-x smiley ;d :d
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by fuke(m): 12:45pm On Mar 30, 2011
@ sammhi  and Buhari Boys,

Come to Ibadan and celebrate with me when Buhari takes over on May 29.

I admire the man for his principle. Changing the VP now wold have cost him the presidency.
The same people who advised him would have turned round to accuse him of spinelessness.

Anyway, an advise from OBj to Buhari now is like drinking Gallic.

@ Beaf.

You have finally found your voice.

What is your take on your IGs order that we should not take phones to polling boots.
An order that has been sent to where it belongs, the trash bin.
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by ideylaff: 12:47pm On Mar 30, 2011
OBJ after you did this,  u wan return back to eat your sheet

http://nigeriavillagesquare.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-4943.html

chicanery of a persona, OBJ and IBB

Nasir El Rufai, r u still hobnobbing with OBJ, u better watch your back, OBJ na Chameleon,  ooo lipsrsealed
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by efisher(m): 12:51pm On Mar 30, 2011
The story serves to confirm something. You cannot separate the people in Nigeria from the issues facing Nigeria. Some are so deluded to think that we have one holy superhero that doesn't talk to the rest of them sinners!!! Hey wake up. Everybody you see up there is connected one way or the other. Buhari, IBB, OBJ etc attend meetings together. They discuss issues like men. They do not have to be childish in keeping malice. They have more in common than we can ever know.
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by seal777(m): 12:52pm On Mar 30, 2011
@all

After moving comments from thread to thread,pillar to post;

THE AUTHOR OF THIS THREAD IS DISSAPOINTED, HE HAS ON THE CONTRARY HELP BOOST THE BB TICKET AS STRONG,PEOPLE ORRIENTED AND INDEPENDENT.

BB 2011.
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by nduchucks: 12:52pm On Mar 30, 2011
This notion that Buhari rejected Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala is quite suspicious.  Other sources claim that it was Ngozi herself who turned down each offer of VP to here. Here is an account given by Ribadu:

Why Ngige, Okonjo-Iweala were dropped:
The ACN had sincerely sought for a vice presidential aspirant from the south east. This explains why it took so long before it came up with the present banker's name. Although Dr. Chris Ngige did not directly decline the offer, it was clear he had intentions to run for a senatorial seat. Ngozi Okonjo Iweala, according to Modibbo, turned down the offer.

Read the rest of the story here:  http://dailytrust.dailytrust.com/index.php?Itemid=104&id=69:its-time-up-for-jonathan-and-pdp&option=com_k2&view=item
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by naijaking1: 12:53pm On Mar 30, 2011
woodcook:

Has anybody on this thread consider the fact that Buhari might feel intimidated in the presence of Iweka and he may not always have his way if he chose her. grin

This is a likely scenerio, given religious, cultural, and tribal divide plaguing our nation. However, it points to Buhari's lack of self confidency as a modern politician.
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by sonyvaio(f): 12:55pm On Mar 30, 2011
el_cij:

You are all assuming Okonjo-Iweala asked for or would have accepted to be a running mate to Buhari or anyone else. This issue is not as relevant as you would initially believe.

She's a decent, well educated person and the sad thing is that most of those kinds of people avoid elected political office in Nigeria (which is what Pat Utomi is trying to change).

Why do people think the fact that one is a technocrat, well educated and has integrity
means one wil not be interested in political office when offered on a platter of gold?
Think AKUNYULI, SOLUDO, FEMI PEDRO

By the way, there is little you can contribute as vice president. The Nigerian constitution does not state the assign any responsibility to the VP apart from those delegated to him by the president. The choice of VP is to win votes
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by blinx4real(m): 12:56pm On Mar 30, 2011
naijaking1:

This is a likely scenerio, given religious, cultural, and tribal divide plaguing our nation. However, it points to Buhari's lack of self confidency as a modern politician.
Typical half educated GEJ supporter! pardon me what does  Self Confidency mean?
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by seal777(m): 1:02pm On Mar 30, 2011
@blinx,
It means supporting a candidate blindly and replying to comments without reading it. Ha ha ha ha! I no fit laugh o
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by ideylaff: 1:04pm On Mar 30, 2011
Why do people think the fact that one is a technocrat, well educated and has integrity
means one wil not be interested in political office when offered on a platter of gold?
Think AKUNYULI, SOLUDO, FEMI PEDRO

I begiii Femi Pedro, na Banker/Bureau de change staff joooo

no be technocrat be awa 9ija bankers, at allllll at alllllll

Femi Pedro jumping 4rm one party to another to another, please
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by Pataki: 1:11pm On Mar 30, 2011
The same Okonjo-Iweala that Ribadu approached? And she declined?

Does OBJ think every Nigerian is his puppet? Please have a rethink!

Nigeria is too big for one man to think he can be pulling strings across different party.

Buhari is right within his own capacity to reject such proposals.

No matter what you people say: BB hurricane will wipe away all these cabals that now sit as high and might in Nigeria!

BB2011!!!
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by jedisco(m): 1:16pm On Mar 30, 2011
I really foot think buhari knows politics. Teaming up with this lady and combining with acn and possibly apga would give buhari a truly nationalistic party which has structures in all regions. Also getting some rich men 2 support him with funds would really help afterall the incumbent has the richest nigerians on his list. Doing the above may not make him win but will certainly cause a re-run and atleast people like me would be voting for him
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by efisher(m): 1:17pm On Mar 30, 2011
Those waiting for Buhari to take over and then lock every other "corrupt" person in jail should keep dreaming on. This is not a military coup. It is an election. People like Buhari are made for coups not elections. Elected people do not lock people up indiscriminately. The legal system does the job. Buhari does not have the handle of such democratic tools. Those boxers in Senate will use him to clean the floor silly. GEJ or Ribadu and the rest of them young guys may look weak but they have a better handle of the modern governance tools than the old man.

On a lighter note, if he is indeed intimidated by people like Okonjo-Iweala, how will he fare when Zeinab Badawi* of hardtalk starts drilling him. grin grin grin

* Edited
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by blinx4real(m): 1:19pm On Mar 30, 2011
seal777:

@blinx,
It means supporting a candidate blindly and replying to comments without reading it. Ha ha ha ha! I no fit laugh o
You can sell your future for 10kobo, its none of my business. if you do reason, then you won't be here justifying mediocrity with ludicrous statements.
The PDP big shots hope to derail the progress of the nation by springing up rumors and falsehood and all Right thinking people will not be deterred, when we take over the reins of government on May 29, please feel free to hop over the border.
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by naijaking1: 1:24pm On Mar 30, 2011
efisher:

Those waiting for Buhari to take over and then lock every other "corrupt" person in jail should keep dreaming on. This is not a military coup. It is an election. People like Buhari are made for coups not elections. Elected people do not lock people up indiscriminately. The legal system does the job. Buhari does not have the handle of such democratic tools. Those boxers in Senate will use him to clean the floor silly. GEJ or Ribadu and the rest of them young guys may look weak but they have a better handle of the modern governance tools than the old man.

On a lighter note, if he is indeed intimidated by people like Okonjo-Iweala, how will he fare when Christiane Amanpour of hardtalk starts drilling him. grin grin grin

Maybe he will imprison them "retroactively" cool cool cool
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by Kobojunkie: 1:28pm On Mar 30, 2011
[size=13pt]Former President Obasanjo had told Mallam Nasir el-Rufai to convince Buhari to substitute Bakare with Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala and that if that was done, both he and Babangida would mobilize support for the Buhari campaign[/size].

Am I the only one that did not miss the Obasanjo connection of this story?? Obasanjo again? And we want someone else to link to the same old goon?? 

@OP, I am sorry but I don't see the sense in carrying an Okonjo Iweala along in this  just to make some ibos happy -- not all Ibos will be happy with such by the way. Also, Are you telling me that we need another Obsanjo connection in this nation? Isn't it bad enough to Ribadu is still seen by many as an Obasanjo boy? Do we really need this same man making decisions for our leaders??

Is Okonjo Iweala more qualified in some way than  the current man picked?? Is you say yes, I ask how? You all sang praises of Akunyili and look how that turned out for Nigeria - -  where is her rebranding nonsense? Where is NTA doing with digital, abi na HD? How is Nigerian communication working out?? Yet, in that same-- if we had left her where her star shone the best, NAFDAC for still dey shine better today.
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by KnowAll(m): 1:29pm On Mar 30, 2011
[size=14pt]DON'T LET THOSE IGBO BOYS DECIEVE YOU, NGOZI IWEALA IS JUST A HOUSE WIFE IN WASHINGTON. WORLD BANK KO, WORLD BANK NI, PROBABLY SHE DID HER INTERNSHIP ONE SUMMER IN THE WORLD BANK, ALL OF A SUDDEN THE POSITION DON BECOME HER OWN PERMANENTLY. WHY ARE PEOPLE SO GULLIBE.  undecided  

HAVING SAID that, ALL THAT HYPE ABOUT AGANGA TOO is un-cessary the guy is just a regular guy in the bank getting £30,000.00 per annum, I DON'T BELIEVE  HE IS ONE OF the HIGH FLYING CASH GRABBERS IN THAT BANK, in any case it is poverty stricken countries like Nigeria, India AND MANY OTHER 3RD WORLD COUNTRIES that make a big deal about the world bank .

I have not for one day read or seen an over excitment in the UK over matters concerning the WB. You make ask me why, because the UK is one of the major donours to that bank's funds and the British people see the funds going to the WORLD BANK AS an un-necessary irritatant bureacracy that they can't stop because of their guranteed foreign commitments.[/size]
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by Denningtedy(m): 1:32pm On Mar 30, 2011
Mai Suya:

Thank YOU SIR!

I have to wonder, why go through El-Rufai in the first place? OBJ suddenly becoming timid? of course not. Not the OBJ that we know. The whole idea reeks of subterfuge, and Buhari, thankfully, saw through it.
Most of this political aspirants are puppet in the sight of Obj.H will only use them to cover his lapses and them dump them.
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by EzeUche(m): 1:33pm On Mar 30, 2011
Seun:

There are two troubling things I learned about Buhari/Bakare from the following story, told by Bakare:https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-633717.0.html
http://www.facebook.com/notes/cee-won/casting-demons-out-of-bakare-by-dimgba-igwe-of-daily-sun/200852143269405

My two areas of concern are:

1)  Buhari was presented with a running mate who was better in every way: an experienced economist, former finance minister who convinced western countries to forgive Nigeria's debt, former world bank VP, and not corrupt.  As an Igbo woman, she would appeal to southerners and progressives, and with Obasanjo's support, they could win the South-West.  But Buhari preferred a pastor of a small church as running mate, even though the pastor wasn't complaining.  Is this good judgment? Or was the man just put off by the idea of running with an[i] Igbo woman[/i]? 

2)  Bakare was indirectly given the option of resigning to make way for a better vice-presidential candidate, and he didn't take it.  He agreed that Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala was a better candidate, but he wouldn't step down unless asked to.  Why was that?  Its troubling.

Well said Seun!

The points that you raised are very good.
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by Denningtedy(m): 1:35pm On Mar 30, 2011
Mai Suya:

Thank YOU SIR!

I have to wonder, why go through El-Rufai in the first place? OBJ suddenly becoming timid? of course not. Not the OBJ that we know. The whole idea reeks of subterfuge, and Buhari, thankfully, saw through it.
Most of this political aspirants are puppet in the sight of Obj.H will only use them to cover his lapses and them dump them.
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by Nobody: 1:39pm On Mar 30, 2011
Owners of this site are obviously biased against Buhari and pro GEJ no doubt. I really wish Utomi could win though
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by Afam4eva(m): 1:40pm On Mar 30, 2011
What's this thread about again? When did Igbo enter all this.

At least the thread was opened or let's say stolen by Seun, the owner of nairaland. So some of you won't have the excuse that's he's Igbo masking as a yoruba boy.
Re: Buhari Rejected Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala As Running Mate by debosky(m): 1:40pm On Mar 30, 2011
Let's for one second believe this fantasy story is actually true.

Why would Buhari EVER believe anything that came from OBJ's mouth? Was OBJ not Buhari's opponent in 2003 he rigged the elections so badly Rivers had 1110% turnout and votes for PDP? cheesy

Was OBJ not beside Jonathan in Lagos proclaiming him as the president already since PDP never loses presidential elections?  cheesy Was OBJ not calling Yardie from naija when he was sick in the 2007 elections while opposing Buhari?

All of a sudden OBJ wants to suggest a candidate for Buhari so he can shift support to him? Was it not the same OBJ that moved Okonjo-Iweala out of the finance ministry and made her useless in foreign affairs simply because she was getting too powerful? Now he'd support her as VP for an opposition party?

Is it not this same Okonjo-Iweala that clearly turned down any participation in the elections?

It will take someone of extremely low intelligence to seriously believe this story had any goodwill or true 'support' from OBJ behind it.

PS - the battle lines are drawn - Admin is pro-GEJ, some of his mods are pro-BB. cheesy cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Emulate Jonathan, Congratulate Buhari, Tony Momoh Tells Atiku / Kogi Guber: PDP Rejects N50m Campaign Material Signage Fees / United States Assistance To Nigeria Delayed By Absence Of Ministers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.