Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,087 members, 7,953,308 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 01:57 PM

Atheists, Agnostic And Freethinkers Crib - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheists, Agnostic And Freethinkers Crib (1940 Views)

Atheists/agnostic/non-religious Memes / Atheists And Freethinkers, What Do Y'all Do On Christmas Day And December 31st? / Humanists And Freethinkers: What Are Your Thoughts On Abortion? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Atheists, Agnostic And Freethinkers Crib by Dollywood(m): 11:04am On Jan 08, 2021
I just checked the Religion thread this morning I saw bullshit throughout!!!!

Religion is the worst thing that has ever happened to Africans since slavery.

The average Nigerians think Religion is the password to success, that is why you see most impoverished and malnourished Nigerians in the church looking for a miracle and breakthrough from an imaginary friend grin and the kinda breakthrough they want is fast money. They don't care about the development of the community and the ways to curb or minimize the rate of poverty. They only pray for their selfish interests, which are, to ride cars and build houses.

Every Pastor and Prophet you see are hungry people who are smart enough to outsmart gullible Nigerians by telling them Church is the gateway to victory. And if you must know Nigeria is the poverty capital of the world, over 100M Nigerians are living in extreme poverty.

Religion will soon fade away and the next generation will realize how stupid most of us in this generation is to believe an imaginary man created this universe and he's the reason we're are alive.

Talking of witchcraft! Every unsuccessful Nigerian believes the devil or witchcraft is the reason behind is problems cheesy cheesy cheesy they don't detect their weaknesses and try hard, they will start engaging themselves in fast and prayer.

I'll continue later. grin

Note: This place is for Non-Religious People only. No Zombies are allowed here. grin

6 Likes

Re: Atheists, Agnostic And Freethinkers Crib by Heathen777(m): 3:04pm On Jan 08, 2021
Religion would be less pervasive in the country if more people know and understand science and exercise rational thinking. To achieve that would require a better-educated populace.

4 Likes

Re: Atheists, Agnostic And Freethinkers Crib by Nobody: 3:48pm On Jan 08, 2021
Cool thread.
Re: Atheists, Agnostic And Freethinkers Crib by Nobody: 4:16pm On Jan 08, 2021
Religion has done more harm than good.
Re: Atheists, Agnostic And Freethinkers Crib by Dollywood(m): 7:57am On Jan 09, 2021
Heathen777:
Religion would be less pervasive in the country if more people know and understand science and exercise rational thinking. To achieve that would require a better-educated populace.

Nigerians are educated but scared to doubt their faith. It takes a lot of reading, debating, and critical thinking which the average Nigerian doesn't possess any longer.

Look at China and Norway for example, you'll see how peaceful and developed the country is without Religion, in Europe now religion is dying and my friends there can asset to that. Look at Islam called "Religion of Piss". I can't imagine a sane human being worshiping and respecting a man whose atrocities are known, such as rape, child abuse, hatred, and intolerance. That's the reason many parts of the world are in violence.

Islam is the worst religion and the followers of Islam are the greatest zombies ever, I can compare the IQ of an average Muslim to that of an orangutan �

3 Likes

Re: Atheists, Agnostic And Freethinkers Crib by winnerr(m): 8:58am On Jan 09, 2021
it’s fear, nothing else explains it more. if more people read the bible and put logical and rational thinking to it, lesser people would be in churches.
Re: Atheists, Agnostic And Freethinkers Crib by Dollywood(m): 8:10am On Jan 10, 2021
winnerr:
it’s fear, nothing else explains it more. if more people read the bible and put logical and rational thinking to it, lesser people would be in churches.

True. No religion will prosper without instilling fear into the minds of people. Even cultists do the same, everything is all about fear not love.

6 Likes

Re: Atheists, Agnostic And Freethinkers Crib by DeusXmachina: 9:29am On Jan 10, 2021
It takes a lot of reading to slowly undo the mental conditioning done to you by religion.

What started my disillusionment was when I decided to learn about other faiths from an unbiased perspective, to see it from the eyes of the believers of the those faiths. And discovered that mine wasn't as special as I thought it was, and the believers of the other faiths were as equally convinced of their religion as I was to mine.
This raised a series of questions and contemplations for me.
Re: Atheists, Agnostic And Freethinkers Crib by LordReed(m): 10:20am On Jan 10, 2021
HellVictorinho:
Religion has done more harm than good.

Man made climate change is driven by man's technological and scientific advancement so does that mean science and technology have done more harm than good?
Re: Atheists, Agnostic And Freethinkers Crib by Nobody: 10:23am On Jan 10, 2021
LordReed:

Man made climate change is driven by man's technological and scientific advancement so does that mean science and technology have done more harm than good?
You didn't state the benefits of the advancement.
In fact, the advancement also involves environment-friendly technology.
Re: Atheists, Agnostic And Freethinkers Crib by LordReed(m): 10:31am On Jan 10, 2021
HellVictorinho:

You didn't state the benefits of the advancement.
In fact, the advancement also involves environment-friendly technology.

Did you state the benefits of religion? Did you acknowledge that society benefits from religion?
Re: Atheists, Agnostic And Freethinkers Crib by Nobody: 10:31am On Jan 10, 2021
LordReed:

The premise of your argument is faulty. Does a religious person know or accept that his religion is man made?
Re: Atheists, Agnostic And Freethinkers Crib by LordReed(m): 10:39am On Jan 10, 2021
gensteejay:

The premise of your argument is faulty. Does a religious person know or accept that his religion is man made?

That has nothing to do with my argument.
Re: Atheists, Agnostic And Freethinkers Crib by Nobody: 10:40am On Jan 10, 2021
Religion is the pathway to riches.

Every religious book have a guidance on how to get rich, investment strategies and saving mentality.

Only shallow minded people won't see it.

Most atheists are potential marxists, an atheist and a godless society like Soviet union killed about 60 million Russian Christians

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Atheists, Agnostic And Freethinkers Crib by Nobody: 10:46am On Jan 10, 2021
LordReed:

Did you state the benefits of religion? Did you acknowledge that society benefits from religion?
The benefits of religion are mostly the generous acts of some religious people that do certain favours in the name of religion.
Concerning socialization, I don't think religion has been as effective as ethnicity, family/blood ties and sexuality.
In fact, the nature of man as a social animal means he doesn't require a particular thing to socialize.
In other words, anything can cause man to socialize.
Re: Atheists, Agnostic And Freethinkers Crib by Nobody: 10:51am On Jan 10, 2021
LordReed:

That has nothing to do with my argument.
A typical religious person doesn't believe his religion is man-made. If he does, his approach to it will be different than merely following religious injunctions like a zombie.

A scientist, for instance, knows science and technology is man-made so he knows anything man-made has its flaws (limitations).

Thus, science and technology (specific principles, inventions, etc) has its good and bad sides.

Nothing is 100% good or 100% bad. But something can be evil or bad overall when looked at from a certain perspective (or frame of reference) such as humanistic or atheistic viewpoint, for instance, or when looked at over a period of time.

The converse is also true.

The frame of reference here is very important.

A typical Christian doesn't see or accept that his/her religion is man-made. That's an important point to consider.
Re: Atheists, Agnostic And Freethinkers Crib by LordReed(m): 10:58am On Jan 10, 2021
gensteejay:

A typical religious person doesn't believe his religion is man-made. If he does, his approach to it will be different than merely following religious injunctions like a zombie.

A scientist, for instance, knows science and technology is man-made so he knows anything man-made has its flaws (limitations).

Thus, science and technology (specific principles, inventions, etc) has its good and bad sides.

Nothing is 100% good or 100% bad. But something can be evil or bad overall when looked at from a certain perspective (or frame of reference) such as humanistic or atheistic viewpoint, for instance, or when looked at over a period of time.

The converse is also true.

The frame of reference here is very important.

A typical Christian doesn't see or accept that his/her religion is man-made. That's an important point to consider.

So ask HellVictorinho how he determined that religion has mostly produced more evil than good, that is the premise of my argument.
Re: Atheists, Agnostic And Freethinkers Crib by LordReed(m): 11:00am On Jan 10, 2021
HellVictorinho:

The benefits of religion are mostly the generous acts of some religious people that do certain favours in the name of religion.
Concerning socialization, I don't think religion has been as effective as ethnicity, family/blood ties and sexuality.
In fact, the nature of man as a social animal means he doesn't require a particular thing to socialize.

We are nothing discussing anything else. You can show us how you determined how religion has produced more evil than good vis a vis science and technology.
Re: Atheists, Agnostic And Freethinkers Crib by Nobody: 11:08am On Jan 10, 2021
LordReed:

So ask HellVictorinho how he determined that religion has mostly produced more evil than good, that is the premise of my argument.
A lot more people have been killed in the name of religion.
A lot of money has been wasted in the name of religion.
Actually, I don't believe economic development is impossible without religion but religious people act like they can't survive without religion.
They act like they can't do anything meaningful without religion.
Do you really need religion to do business
Do you really need religion to help someone that can return the favor
Re: Atheists, Agnostic And Freethinkers Crib by Nobody: 11:09am On Jan 10, 2021
HellVictorinho:

The fact is a person needs religion to socialize with people in a country like Nigeria. If not, one won't be able to do many essential things in the country successfully.

1 Like

Re: Atheists, Agnostic And Freethinkers Crib by Nobody: 11:15am On Jan 10, 2021
gensteejay:

The fact is a person needs religion to socialize with people in a country like Nigeria. If not, one won't be able to do many essential things in the country successfully.
Exactly.
Nigeria has many religious people that leave many things for God(s) to address.
But it's obvious that there is no God that addresses anything.
So,those things remain unaddressed.
Re: Atheists, Agnostic And Freethinkers Crib by Nobody: 11:25am On Jan 10, 2021
HellVictorinho:

Exactly.
Nigeria has many religious people that leave many things for God(s) to address.
That's one of the major issues I have with religion and the concept of God (seen as a sky daddy or human-like entity).
Re: Atheists, Agnostic And Freethinkers Crib by LordReed(m): 11:27am On Jan 10, 2021
HellVictorinho:

A lot more people have been killed in the name of religion.
A lot of money has been wasted in the name of religion.
Actually, I don't believe economic development is impossible without religion but religious people act like they can't survive without religion.
They act like they can't do anything meaningful without religion.
Do you really need religion to do business
Do you really need religion to help someone that can return the favor

Do you know how many people die yearly from conditions caused by scientific and technological advancement? Do you know how much is wasted on military technology R & D yearly? Again you are not showing me how you objectively came to the conclusion that religion creates more evil than good. You are only pointing out the disadvantages and wagging your finger.
Re: Atheists, Agnostic And Freethinkers Crib by Nobody: 11:42am On Jan 10, 2021
LordReed:

Do you know how many people die yearly from conditions caused by scientific and technological advancement? Do you know how much is wasted on military technology R & D yearly? Again you are not showing me how you objectively came to the conclusion that religion creates more evil than good. You are only pointing out the disadvantages and wagging your finger.
I believe HellVictorinho would answer this.

I can state my own take on your submission: I believe it is all boils down to how a person sees religion (for a person that feels they must have a religion).

If a person sees religion as an act of exploration of one's talent or gift and using the brain (as an example), that's a better way to see religion than as an act requiring the worship of a god or God which can breed mental slavery.

Islam and Christianity are toxic religions because of the devilish, vindictive, violent nature of Allah and Jehovah, and these gods influence their worshippers with these anti-human traits.

From a humanistic point of view, religion (meaning Islam and Christianity in this case) are evil overall because their bad aspects outweigh their good aspects. The two religions have barbaric histories with too much bloodshed, wars, and colonialism.
Re: Atheists, Agnostic And Freethinkers Crib by Nobody: 11:43am On Jan 10, 2021
LordReed:

I never said the advancement of science and technology has done more good than harm.
But I know humans cannot do without science and technology.
In other words,there are aspects of it that everyone benefits from.
Which aspect of religion can everyone benefit from?
Does anyone even gain anything from prayers??
Are prayers not a waste of humanity's time??
Re: Atheists, Agnostic And Freethinkers Crib by LordReed(m): 11:47am On Jan 10, 2021
gensteejay:

From a humanistic point of view, religion (meaning Islam and Christianity in this case) are evil overall because their bad aspects outweigh their good aspects. The two religions have barbaric histories with too much bloodshed, wars, and colonialism.

Do you know how many people the birth of military science has enabled to be killed very efficiently? You guys keep mentioning death when everywhere you look death abounds. If that is your sole criteria then I fail to see how you are not also condemning science and tech as well.
Re: Atheists, Agnostic And Freethinkers Crib by LordReed(m): 11:50am On Jan 10, 2021
HellVictorinho:

I never said the advancement of science and technology has done more good than harm.
But I know humans cannot do without science and technology.
In other words,there are aspects of it that everyone benefits from.
Which aspect of religion can everyone benefit from?
Does anyone even gain anything from prayers??
Are prayers not a waste of humanity's time??

I didn't say you said so. I am asking you to contrast your condemnation of religion as bringing more evil than good with the fact that science and tech has also enabled evil.

Ask those who benefit from religion I am sure they'll be glad to answer your questions. My question to you however requires you to show objectively how religion is more evil than good, not this finger wagging you are doing.
Re: Atheists, Agnostic And Freethinkers Crib by Nobody: 11:53am On Jan 10, 2021
LordReed:

I have pointed out the so-called advantages before.
Religious people do good to their fellow religious people sometimes.
But can you compare that with the bad things that happen in the name of religion??
Can you even compare that with the things they fail to do in the name of religion
Re: Atheists, Agnostic And Freethinkers Crib by Nobody: 11:54am On Jan 10, 2021
LordReed:

Do you know how many people the birth of military science
I never told you death is the sole factor.

Are you saying military science is bad? Aren't you mixing up military science with genocide and wars?
Re: Atheists, Agnostic And Freethinkers Crib by Nobody: 12:06pm On Jan 10, 2021
LordReed:

I didn't say you said so. I am asking you to contrast your condemnation of religion as bringing more evil than good with the fact that science and tech has also enabled evil.

Ask those who benefit from religion I am sure they'll be glad to answer your questions. My question to you however requires you to show objectively how religion is more evil than good, not this finger wagging you are doing.
Religious people believe anything they gain come(s) from God(s) but I don't believe in such things.
So, what is the essence of asking them what they benefit from religion?
Also,the benefits I have stated about religion are actually the benefits of socialization.
Furthermore, I think religion plays a less significant role in the process of socialization.
What else
Re: Atheists, Agnostic And Freethinkers Crib by Nobody: 12:24pm On Jan 10, 2021
gensteejay:

I never told you death is the sole factor.

Are you saying military science is bad? Aren't you mixing up military science with genocide and wars?

The benefits of religion are nothing but a few generous acts here and there.
They are actually the benefits of socialization as religious people sometimes gather towards the distribution of some cash/kind.
But religion has caused a lot more negativity considering that there are so many different ways in which people practise religion and these differences have led to many more anti-social acts.
Religion has also caused many religious people to choose not to do certain things that they ought to have done and this negligence has cost a lot.
Re: Atheists, Agnostic And Freethinkers Crib by Nobody: 12:32pm On Jan 10, 2021
HellVictorinho:

The benefits of religion are nothing but a few generous acts here and there.
They are actually the benefits of socialization as religious people sometimes gather towards the distribution of some cash/kind.
But religion has caused a lot more negativity considering that there are so many different ways in which people practise religion and these differences have led to many more anti-social acts.
Religion has also caused many religious people to choose not to do certain things that they ought to have done and this negligence has cost a lot.
I agree with you.

However, I don't think it's possible to eradicate religions permanently. I think Christianity and Islam will dwindle in strength in the years to come due to the flaws in the holy books of the two religions, and humanity will see the concept of religion differently.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nowhere In The Bible Or Talmud Is The Star Of David Referenced / Adeboye And His Dribbling Skills / How To Pray And Command Instant Result

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.