Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,220 members, 7,811,612 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 03:41 PM

Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou - Car Talk (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou (64733 Views)

What Are The Dangers Of Buying A Flooded Car? / Checklist Of Fixing Flood Damaged Vehicles From Hurricane Sandy / Vehicles From Unauthorised Dealers Won't Be Registered - Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by Osholu: 10:05am On Jul 20, 2014
I was told that What you pay the Oyinbo actually clears you to Seme-Naija border..Pls can anyone throw more light on this?
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by saintjoel(m): 1:33pm On Jul 20, 2014
Osholu: I was told that What you pay the Oyinbo actually clears you to Seme-Naija border..Pls can anyone throw more light on this?

the car dealers in cotonou have no power whatsoever to clear your vehicles,it's handed over to your agent after purchase and he/she takes of the entry into Nigeria and custom duty.
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by erico2k2(m): 1:09pm On Jul 22, 2014
Osholu: I was told that What you pay the Oyinbo actually clears you to Seme-Naija border..Pls can anyone throw more light on this?
This where ** The More you look The less you see ** Takes place, shine your eyes
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by edeh042: 12:17pm On Aug 24, 2014
Please can u tell me what a 1999 golf3 auto wit ac will cost me to land in lagos.my email.edeh042@gmail.com
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by saintjoel(m): 8:55am On Aug 27, 2014
Seme border linking Rep. Of Benin and Lagos,Idiroko border linking Ogun state and Rep.of Benin are the two main commands for clearing vehicles into Nigeria.

Right now agents are on strike in seme because of the outrageous demands by Nigerian customs,so we've decided to shift our jobs to idiroko border which is quite cheaper,safer and faster than seme border.

If you've bought a vehicle from cotonou or shipped through cotonou ports,you can contact us for payment of custom duty at idiroko border.Kindly disregard rumors that idiroko border is mainly used for smuggling,your custom duty paper comes with a custom verification number which is like your pin and it's used to confirm the authenticity of your papers.

Also take advantage of the drop in exchange rate,right now it's =N=336-1,000 cefa.
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by DRealGeesam(m): 11:44am On Aug 29, 2014
saintjoel:

I can now see why I shouldn't join issues with someone who is so shallow minded like you are cos you seem to be enjoying this show.

So you actually expect me to post VIN of every vehicle I clear through the border or sell in Lagos on NL,are you so foolish that you can't realise that many of these cars aint mine and that the owner must have inspected them one time or the other before purchase or do you expect me to start posting VIN of every car which passes through my custody without the owner's consent..Seems you're the only eagle eyed man in this world who can see VIN on cars posted in NL.I don't even ship cars into Cotonou neither do I sell cars there,there are six or seven parks in Cotonou and each covers 50-60 hectares with at least 300 car dealers to a park,so tell me how I can get VIN of every car in cotonou,seriously are you that daft?.

I don't even know what you're trying to prove,this arguement has been on for days and no Nairalander has shown up to write about me scamming him/her,so I wonder why you're crying more than the bereaved.How many dealers on NL actually post details of VIN on nairaland or maybe the mere fact of not posting VIN is what an idiot like you're will call a scam.

I don't collect money to take people into Cotonou,neither do I help them bargain for cars,all I do is help them get this cars out of the border through the payment of custom duty and I want to belive I'm just one out of hundreds of agents at the border trying to make a living,so I don't think there's anything hidden in the whole process,if you buuy a car from cotonou,you can easily work to the custom's office at the border,declare your car and pay duty.

Seriously,I don't even know why I keep replying you,you may have your opinions but when a man I've never met in adam suddenly wakes up to label me a scammer,what ccomes to my mind is this-
Whatever you call me,I'll always make it but if you are making a false accusation without any proof/evidence of where and when I scammed someone,my Father in heaven will punish you and your future generation,in the mighty name of Jesus christ,every where you go or try to wotk,it's be blocked by the forces of heaven until you stop your attitude of pulling down another man's business,I stand on Christ solid rock and I declare that you'll always labour in vain if you can call me a scammer without proof/evidence.I have done business with so many people when it comes to cars,even people who I've never met have flown into to buy cars through me,right now even HCODE,a popular hip hop artiste in surulere actually bought a touareg which I once advertised and still uses it,likewise many other people,so what is your problem,what do you actually need from me apart from the explanations I've given you and every other Nairalander.

Seems you're just out to discredit agents who do honest in Cotonou and the border,joining issues with you seems to give the cheap popularity you crave for.The same man who posted a BMW and never wrote the truth about the AC or the car's condition until some people started raising eyebrows now calling someone a scammer,you must be a very big fool and I wonder what even prompted me to reply all these silly chats at the first instance,cos at the end of everything,you're entilted to your own opinion which must have been formed by a brain filled with indian hemp and other cheap drugs,I wonder where you even work in London,seems you claim to reside there, I might even invite you to gillinham in december.
Thumbs up.
Next time ignore talkatives
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by kessygirl(f): 7:07pm On Sep 01, 2014
Please for those that wants to buy clean car. No scratch, please visit www.lesbagnoles.com. it is where you get the latest and newest cars, jeeps, etc...
Once you are ready, contact me.
Thanks.

N/B incase you know someone that wants to buy, you can direct the person to me and still have your commission.
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by Rafaelyte: 3:32pm On Sep 10, 2014
Pls.hw much wl it cost me 2get full option Golf 3 salon frm cotonou

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by dfos2k(m): 9:14pm On Sep 10, 2014
]i called a custom officer to tell me what i need to do if i bring in a vehicle from cotonou. he said i should not try it that its very risky. pls whats ur experience.

Irememba the first mbenz my dad bought. Hahaha pure indian film so long we could not pop champagne 4d car. "Cotonou is cheap" delusonists pls beware.
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by saintjoel(m): 10:18pm On Sep 10, 2014
dfos2k: ]i called a custom officer to tell me what i need to do if i bring in a vehicle from cotonou. he said i should not try it that its very risky. pls whats ur experience.

Irememba the first mbenz my dad bought. Hahaha pure indian film so long we could not pop champagne 4d car. "Cotonou is cheap" delusonists pls beware.

I wonder where people like you get these lies from or maybe you just wake up and start forming these lies,how can a custom officer who is currently serving tell you that bbringing in a car from cotonou is risky when only seme border is the second biggest revenue generator for NCS,maybe you must've told him that you wanted to bring the car in without custom duty.

If a custom officer actually told you that bringing in a car from cotonou is risky,kindly let us know his name and as a member of the association of Nigerian customs licensed agent,i'll petition the comptroller general of customs because it means all this while,they've been issuing fake papers for vehicles brought from cotonou.
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by osakestin(m): 2:23am On Sep 11, 2014
how much will it cost to land a toyota corrolla sport 07 to nigeria....credible agent inbox me very urgent kestinefo@yahoo.com
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by lekky4reallove: 7:16am On Sep 12, 2014
Pls Hw much will d custom paper cost for a bus (transporter t4) @ Idi Roko border. I need d paper, it very urgent. Thanks

Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by saintjoel(m): 11:30am On Sep 13, 2014
lekky4reallove: Pls Hw much will d custom paper cost for a bus (transporter t4) @ Idi Roko border. I need d paper, it very urgent. Thanks

It's 170k,kindly call me on 08062948193 and let's discuss.
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by Rafaelyte: 1:12pm On Sep 13, 2014
Pls.let me kno d cost of Golf3 manual ,ful option and vclean.'arckinralph@yahoo.com
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by chimexview: 9:15pm On Oct 05, 2014
I want to get camry 2.2 aka tiny light but I need advice on which valve to go for: V6 or V4/i4 this is will be my first car and I want to have a good driving experience and what other things I should be looking out for when buying? Thanks in advance.
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by saintjoel(m): 6:13am On Oct 06, 2014
chimexview:
I want to get camry 2.2 aka tiny light but I need advice on which valve to go for: V6 or V4/i4 this is will be my first car and I want to have a good driving experience and what other things I
should be looking out for when buying? Thanks in advance.

It depends on the way you commute,if you do much of travelling,V6 is the best option but if you don't,then buy 4plugs.
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by chimexview: 2:36pm On Oct 06, 2014
Thanks

saintjoel:

It depends on the way you commute,if you do much of travelling,V6 is the best option but if you don't,then buy 4plugs.
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by nnamxxx(m): 11:18pm On Dec 04, 2014
Pls how much can I get a clean 1999 camry (tiny light) from cotonou?
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by lukman22: 6:29pm On Jan 22, 2015
babiifaace:
HI all,i have been observing this trend for a long time and couldn't say anything becos i didn't know about the subject matter. Both i just came back from cotonou on friday. I went there bought a car and paid all custom duties and everything took 5days plus the public holiday on Tuesday.I must tell u, if u want a good car that u are sure of and ur budget is small, go to cotonou urself. The car i bought,these People called agents or dealers in NairaLand will tell u 1.3mill to get it to Lagos and so on,but i bought, paid all custom duties,hotel,feeding and transport for far less than 1million.So i final conclusion is cotonou cars are cheaper and better,i drove down to Abuja without even adding water to the car,no problem what so every.
But i must say something i observed, our Nigerian guys,go there to buy accidented cars,damaged cars and repair them in cotonou before bring them to Nigeria without paying the required Nigerian custom duty. They buy cars that there speedometer has gone over 200,000 km and reduce them. So i suggest u go urself, pay,clear and followup.
sorry to disturb u.I knew this post is over 3yrs now.Am planning to go buy a car from Cotonu myself. please I want to ask,did you clear your car at the semeboarder yourself or you cleared through an agent?
Secondly,if u did it yourself kindly lay out the processes that one should follow.
Thanks
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by saintjoel(m): 10:27pm On Jan 22, 2015
lukman22:
sorry to disturb u.I knew this post is over 3yrs now.Am planning to go buy a car from Cotonu myself. please I want to ask,did you clear your car at the semeboarder yourself or you cleared through an agent?
Secondly,if u did it yourself kindly lay out the processes that one should follow.
Thanks

Mr lukman,kindly disregard the post,it pure lies.
Purchase,custom clearing etc takes just 48hrs from cotonou-seme/idiroko border,there's no way he could've cleared his vehicle without the services of an agent,so don't disturb yourself.
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by lukman22: 10:43pm On Jan 22, 2015
saintjoel:

Mr lukman,kindly disregard the post,it pure lies.
Purchase,custom clearing etc takes just 48hrs from cotonou-seme/idiroko border,there's no way he could've cleared his vehicle without the services of an agent,so don't disturb yourself.
Thanks saintjoel.I intend picking a sedan car by march ( during my leave),Passat 2007 2.0Fsi.
Can u tell me how much it will cost me if buying from Cotonu? Also,I will like to go make the choice by myself.
Thanks
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by saintjoel(m): 11:27pm On Jan 22, 2015
lukman22:

Thanks saintjoel.I intend picking a sedan car by march ( during my leave),Passat 2007 2.0Fsi.
Can u tell me how much it will cost me if buying from Cotonu? Also,I will like to go make the choice by myself.
Thanks

https://www.nairaland.com/1245239/cheaper-cars-available-cotonou/25.Kindly post the inquiry here cos we're not allowed to transact business in this section,thanks.
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by 1Emmy: 10:36am On Feb 22, 2015
I equall had my very bad experience in contonou.
I was very patient looking for a clean title RX 330. I saw this car @2. 7m in the North. But I decided to come to Lagos if I can get it cheaper. But all I saw in Lagos even at Berger are all accidental. Later I got one in Berger the owner assured me that it was accident free. We agreed at 2. 6m. I checked the vin on free site it didt not show any accident. I made deposit and later decided to check with premium account low and behold the car was accidental and was badly damaged both front and back. (Mind you all were fixed)
I pleated with the man to change the vehicle for me as I don't want accidental car because previous exp. He agreed, and we settle for cotonou.
Welcome to cotonou.
He handed me over to an agent. The agent assisted me in searching for a vehicle. We did not see a clean RX330 as the car is one of the hottest and most sold car in cotonou. In fact the agent got tired when we searched all th parks without seeing up to 5 rx330. The ones we saw were in bad condition.
Later I saw RX350 2007 that was very clean. The same shape with 330 2005 model, but different engine and price.
I went home later I told the man to rrfund me since he cant get me a clean title vehicle.which he did.
So i met this cotonou agent here in nairaland, explained everything to him. He promised to help. He said there are millions of RX 330 in cotonou. I ask him to just get me only one. He came back in the evening and told me he was surprise that the car is scarce. Hahaha
I told him about the 350. He went there and renegotiated with the dealer and Settled @2. 7 without duties.
But the agent lied to me. The Car has boot error which the dealer promised to fix any time we make deposit. I gave the guy the money and he vanish into air came to tell that he made the payment. Asked him if he confirm that the boot is opening he said yes. But that was a lie and little compare to other things.

He and his gangs delay the process till around evening I was deceived waiting for them at bother as Nigerians do not drive vehicles to border. The agent and I left and came down to bother where we started processing the Nigeria duty papers and the at the end I end up paying
N3.313m, for the vehicle. My God I wished the my problem stopped there.
The Car got to me around 10. 30pm in my hotel. at that point, i discoverd that all the catalytic converter has been stolen. The boot was not fixes. When I asked the agent why the car sudden changed sound, said several things to cover up.
I had several bad experience in continuo which writing all will take a full book. Beginning from wrong agent to cotonou rubbers called custom officers.
I decided to move on but my greatest changes now is that my car exhaust white smoke which a mechanic said it results from a cylinder and crankshaft burnt due to absense of catalytic converter over a period of time.
Secondly several efforts to fix the power boot has not been successful. I regret going to cotonou. Worse of it all, knowing that agent who has put me in all these. Things would have been better if the agent is honest and sincere.
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by saintjoel(m): 1:05pm On Feb 22, 2015
1Emmy:
I equall had my very bad experience in contonou.
I was very patient looking for a clean title RX 330. I saw this car @2. 7m in the North. But I decided to come to Lagos if I can get it cheaper. But all I saw in Lagos even at Berger are all accidental. Later I got one in Berger the owner assured me that it was accident free. We agreed at 2. 6m. I checked the vin on free site it didt not show any accident. I made deposit and later decided to check with premium account low and behold the car was accidental and was badly damaged both front and back. (Mind you all were fixed)
I pleated with the man to change the vehicle for me as I don't want accidental car because previous exp. He agreed, and we settle for cotonou.
Welcome to cotonou.
He handed me over to an agent. The agent assisted me in searching for a vehicle. We did not see a clean RX330 as the car is one of the hottest and most sold car in cotonou. In fact the agent got tired when we searched all th parks without seeing up to 5 rx330. The ones we saw were in bad condition.
Later I saw RX350 2007 that was very clean. The same shape with 330 2005 model, but different engine and price.
I went home later I told the man to rrfund me since he cant get me a clean title vehicle.which he did.
So i met this cotonou agent here in nairaland, explained everything to him. He promised to help. He said there are millions of RX 330 in cotonou. I ask him to just get me only one. He came back in the evening and told me he was surprise that the car is scarce. Hahaha
I told him about the 350. He went there and renegotiated with the dealer and Settled @2. 7 without duties.
But the agent lied to me. The Car has boot error which the dealer promised to fix any time we make deposit. I gave the guy the money and he vanish into air came to tell that he made the payment. Asked him if he confirm that the boot is opening he said yes. But that was a lie and little compare to other things.

He and his gangs delay the process till around evening I was deceived waiting for them at bother as Nigerians do not drive vehicles to border. The agent and I left and came down to bother where we started processing the Nigeria duty papers and the at the end I end up paying
N3.313m, for the vehicle. My God I wished the my problem stopped there.
The Car got to me around 10. 30pm in my hotel. at that point, i discoverd that all the catalytic converter has been stolen. The boot was not fixes. When I asked the agent why the car sudden changed sound, said several things to cover up.
I had several bad experience in continuo which writing all will take a full book. Beginning from wrong agent to cotonou rubbers called custom officers.
I decided to move on but my greatest changes now is that my car exhaust white smoke which a mechanic said it results from a cylinder and crankshaft burnt due to absense of catalytic converter over a period of time.
Secondly several efforts to fix the power boot has not been successful. I regret going to cotonou. Worse of it all, knowing that agent who has put me in all these. Things would have been better if the agent is honest and sincere.

1.Who told you or how did you form the assumption that clean titled cars with original duty papers are sold in/around berger?

2.The going rates for an RX330 from cotonou with original duty papers is around N2.6/7M,so how wil you believe that a dealer in auto berger will buy a grade one RX330 with original duty papers and still sell for N2.6M in lagos when he hasn't smuggled it or bought an accidented SUV?

3. How many parks did you visit in cotonou before you formed the assumption that RX330 was scarce in cotonou,what was your budget and are you sure that your so called agents weren't taking you for a ride or you allowed yourself to be taken for ride with your budget?

4.When the second agent went into the market to help you check for another RX330,did you go with them and if not, why didn't you go with them to at least bargain directly with the dealer,did the dealer personally assure you that he'll fix the boot or your agent told you?

5. A grade one RX350 is sold for N2.9M without duty in the parks,so how'll you now believe a dealer will cut his gain to N2.7M for an RX350 with no issue whatsover?

6. The agents you met with,where they registered agents with ANCLA with I.D tags stating they were agents on duty or do they've offices in cotonou,seme/idiroko?

My questions may seem akward but they're just to show you that you must have at a point in time allowed yourself to be taken for a ride by bad elements claiming to be agents.
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by 1Emmy: 3:14pm On Feb 22, 2015
@Saintjoel I like the way you responded to my post. Some people would have responded with insults. That proved you are a man of integrity. The Second agent is an active member of this forum and I believe he might have seen this my post. I don't want mention name because he has sworn he did not take part in stealing the catalytic converter. 2. He has shown remorse concerning the boot. He told me this morning that he was lied to.
Now, I don't understand your first point. If you check my name you will find out I posted more than 5 RX330 Vin to be confirm by nairanlanders if they were accidented car and of course all were confirmed. Check the record is still there.
For how many parks I checked go 330 in cotonou. I used more than four agents. Two my perusal friends others the guy I was handed over to and the final guy. In fact my friend argued that I will see thousands of rx330 then I pleaded to help me with one. Actually he found 2 clean ones but was disappointed the following day when I sent money to secure them but getting to that place he realised they had been sold. Not up to 13hrs. He told me he has agreed with me that 330 is scarse. I wanted 330, I only changes my mind when I saw it was not feasible due to rush. And I wanted clean title and very clean one.
The 350 I bought has the same shape with 330 only engine difference. Besides it has all the qualities I was looking for. From interior to exterior color and sound engine.
The dealer promised me personally that ones I make deposits that he will fix the boot. Had the second agent honest believe that boot would had been fixed. Mind you, when the second agent took over, I did not visit again contonou Again that 'll the D day. I only give him instructions and he will always respond well. He told me he has seen the boot with his eyes okay
So many things happened, which may be difficult to explain. The experience was hectic. I wished my vehicle came back well. Upon all these the stole the catalytic converter.
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by saintjoel(m): 4:29pm On Feb 22, 2015
1Emmy:
@Saintjoel I like the way you responded to my post. Some people would have responded with insults. That proved you are a man of integrity. The Second agent is an active member of this forum and I believe he might have seen this my post. I don't want mention name because he has sworn he did not take part in stealing the catalytic converter. 2. He has shown remorse concerning the boot. He told me this morning that he was lied to.
Now, I don't understand your first point. If you check my name you will find out I posted more than 5 RX330 Vin to be confirm by nairanlanders if they were accidented car and of course all were confirmed. Check the record is still there.
For how many parks I checked go 330 in cotonou. I used more than four agents. Two my perusal friends others the guy I was handed over to and the final guy. In fact my friend argued that I will see thousands of rx330 then I pleaded to help me with one. Actually he found 2 clean ones but was disappointed the following day when I sent money to secure them but getting to that place he realised they had been sold. Not up to 13hrs. He told me he has agreed with me that 330 is scarse. I wanted 330, I only changes my mind when I saw it was not feasible due to rush. And I wanted clean title and very clean one.
The 350 I bought has the same shape with 330 only engine difference. Besides it has all the qualities I was looking for. From interior to exterior color and sound engine.
The dealer promised me personally that ones I make deposits that he will fix the boot. Had the second agent honest believe that boot would had been fixed. Mind you, when the second agent took over, I did not visit again contonou Again that 'll the D day. I only give him instructions and he will always respond well. He told me he has seen the boot with his eyes okay
So many things happened, which may be difficult to explain. The experience was hectic. I wished my vehicle came back well. Upon all these the stole the catalytic converter.

I don't need to insult you,mistakes are made so that we can learn from them and it's a pity you managed to get mixed up with bad elements plying their trade in cotonou.
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by meyan66: 6:35pm On Feb 28, 2015
Interesting discussion. I have been to Cotonou twice to purchase vehicle for personal use. 2008 and 2012. I have no regret at all. I'm planning the third trip. Two major benefits: ability to select from large stock and low price. I think success or failure largely depend on the integrity of the agent you follow. And I belief it is necessary to follow one. If anyone is interested i can connect you to my agent and you will not regret.
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by Nobody: 12:54pm On Mar 08, 2015
saintjoel:
CUSTOM DUTY PAYMENT MADE SIMPLE.

The payment of custom duty has always caused arguements between agents and clients who want to bring in cars into Nigeria through ports or land borders. At jelad ventures,we have taken pains to explain the procedure to clients and we've also decided to post on Nairaland,so that clients will not be confused when bringing vehicles into Nigeria.

When you're bringing a vehicle into Nigeria,there's is a certain tariff you've to pay and it's always divided into two,bank payments and running costs. The bank payment is what you pay into the bank and it goes directly to the NCS HQ and FG while running costs is what the command you're paying through uses to print your documents etc.

Using the two pictures below as illustrations,we can see the tariff booklet is divided into three sections,year,value and bank.

A) Year - the manufacture year of the vehicle been bought into Nigeria.

B) Value - the estimated dollar value of the vehicle been brought into the country.

C) Bank - this is what the FG actually actually expects the agent pay into the bank as bank charges for his/her client's vehicle.

Please take note that apart from year of manufacture,vehicles are also rated according to engine capacity,which means your vehicle may be 20% or 35% engine capacity.

Also please note that the NCS having discovered that the bank charges were too expensive reached an unwritten agreement with agents,which means an agent can shave three/four years off the actual year of the vehicle been brought in,to make it affordable for the clients.

Now let's use three vehicles as examples using the pictures shown below.

A) 2002 Highlander - as we can see from the pictures, 2002 Highlander is rated as 20% engine capacity,valued at 4,918$ and with bank payment of 214,600,which means any importer bringing in an 02 highlander has to pay at least 350,000 =N= to obtain duty papers. 350,000 =N= must have been high for importers to pay,so an agent can use his/her discretion to run the duty papers has 1999 highlander (2002-3yrs=1999),which means 156,000 naira is paid into bank and the importer pays 250,000 has custom duty charges.

B) 2008 Highlander - from the pictures below,we can see that 2008 highlander is rated as 35% engine capacity with a dollar value of 9,250$ and bank payment of 648,268 =N=. All the agent needs to do is declare the SUV has 2004(2008-4yrs=2004),which means 420-450,000=N= can be paid into the bank while the importer pays 550-600,000=N= as bank charges.

C) 2006 Range rover HSE - From what we can see,the RRS is rated as 35% engine capacity with dollar value of 22,650$ and bank payment of 1,587,380M =N=. This particular vehicle has always been a source of confusion between importers,agents and custom officials. In some instances,we've agents who declare it has 2002(2006-4yrs=2002) and they pay =N=1M has bank charges while the importer pays 1.2M for duty charges.

We also have agents who take risks in declaring the 06 RRS as 1999 or below,which means they pay 600,000 =N= as bank payments while the importer pays 850,000 =N= as running cost but absolute care should be taken because in a situation where one agent manages to bribe his/her way out,it may not work for another agent and in such case,the vehicle may be impounded.

Now,note that when vehicles are impounded and it's about been recovered from custom officials,a DL is raised. DL means direct levy and in this case,the importer is asked to pay the original bank charges he/she was supposed to pay and also pay a 20% fine with running costs.

Running costs using seme border as an example is what an agent pays to type the documents,collect value for the vehicle,assessment and examination of vehicles and tagging. Tagging of documents is very necessary especially across land borders because these photocopies are essential,they're are records the Fed. Ops. Unit and CG squads submit in ikeja and Abuja commands to show that your vehicle passed through their checkpoints.

When next you're bringing in your vehicles in through land borders or ports,always make sure you take care that your agent doesn't short pay. Short payment means making false declaration e:g declaring an 06 RRS as 02 RRS or declaring 2007 camry as 98 camry or 2002 sienna has 1996 toyota bus.

All these acts put the vehicles at risk and it's always common amongst dubious agents and car dealers who want to make more gain from car sales,that's why we now see more and more cheap cars coming out of lagos ports and at the end,these same cars are impounded by custom officials.

Now the following post was written as by the management of Jelad ventures and it doesn't not serve as the opinion of every custom agent operating at the ports or land borders. If at anytime,there are other agents who want to add to this post,they're free to do so.

Thanks and happy new year in advance.

Walahi I no understand d way you do your calculations at all...i was d one who called you & you said you were driving...i'm planning to ship in a 2007 E320 benz & wanna know how cotonou is better dan lagos
Re: Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou by saintjoel(m): 11:14pm On Mar 08, 2015
drlawizle:

Walahi I no understand d way you do your calculations at all...i was d one who called you & you said you were driving...i'm planning to ship in a 2007 E320 benz & wanna know how cotonou is better dan lagos

I have seen your sms,will revert tomorrow.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

This Nigerian Mechanic Has Gone Viral After A Video Show Him Lifting An Engine / Innoson Releases Luxury IVM G80 And G40 SUV (Photos) / A Nigerian Made This Tv Stand From A 2017 Mercedes Benz Gle Bumper (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 120
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.